Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
37 New Orleans Road
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michael-anthonys.com/
- Phone: 8437856272x
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner Monday - Saturday beginning at 5:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: At Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana we offer five unique private party options for hosting your special event
- Private Party Contact: Jill Boyd 8775644026
A word from Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana offers traditional regional Italian cuisine combining innovative presentations and style. The award winning culinary team presents a menu using the freshest ingredients for an unforgettable culinary experience featuring homemade gnocchi, succulent veal,daily selections of fresh fish and house-made desserts. Acknowledged by food and wine enthusiasts and critics alike, the restaurant presents a fine-dining experience combining an award-winning wine list, exquisite food, attentive service and the personal touch of a family-owned restaurant serving the Lowcountry since 2002. In fact, Michael Anthony’s was recognized in 2010 by Open Table diners as one of the "Top 50 Italian Restaurants" in the United States! In addition, Michael Anthony’s operates a Cooking School conducting weekly hands-on and demonstration style cooking classes and a specialty Italian market. Please visit our website or call for information for our class schedule or dining reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (133)fit for foodies (126)romantic (114)notable wine list (113)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (30)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014We made our reservations four days prior but when we arrived there was considerable delay/discussion about our seating. We were ultimately seated upstairs which does not have the same ambiance as the bar and downstairs dining area. We began with cocktails, I had a delicious Nonna's Sangria made with Prosecco and Fresh Fruit. We began with the Antipasto Platter which was good and attractively presented. I had Pollo alla Capricciosa which was dry and not enhanced by the weedy and bitter arugula. My husband had the pasta special which was homemade rolled pasta with sausage and mushrooms. Excellent. We split a Sformata di Cioccolata for dessert. Very tasty but small. With a bottle of wine, our meal was approximately $200.Special Features:
- Great Italian on Hilton HeadACfunDined on 9/15/2014Great food, atmosphere, service. We are from NJ and travel to Italy often. We were surprised how good and original the Italian food was at Michael Anthony's. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BogusAJjrVIPDined on 9/15/2014Bogus that they don't award Open Table points for the reservation!
- Very disappointing!luvital44Dined on 9/10/2014We have dined at the restaurant previously and enjoyed it. Our recent visit was not as nice. The service you would expect from a restaurant like this was disappointing. One entree was good and the one was very mediocre. Will not return.
- Great ItalianJeffPDined on 9/10/2014Awesome food and a great wine list top the list for this excellent restaurant in Hilton Head. Fresh, well prepared and excellently prepared servings paired with great wine choices make this a must-do location for anyone who appreciates good Italian.Special Features:
- Consistent and Great Servicebman598VIPDined on 9/9/2014Always come to Michael Anthony's for a great Italian meal when on the island. Service and atmosphere are always great. This time the food was a little let down. It was good just not spectacular and what I expect for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014Out family has been vacationing at Hilton Head Island for many years, and Michael Anthony's is always tops on our list for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but so, so service:(2FoodiesDined on 9/6/2014We dined there at 8pm on a Saturday night and were seated upstairs as requested. We were greeted by our server and her helper promptly and served water. We selected a bottle of wine and ordered an anti pasti plate to share. Great choice. However, a large party of 10-12 were seated about that time. Antipasti and wine were served and we were still holding our large, bulky menus waiting to order while we ate. The big table heard about the specials and ordered, we were still waiting. We finally got to order, the food was great, but the service was not up to par. We have dined there many times and our daughter's wedding reception and dinner were held there, but the service was much better. Next time, I'll call for a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big ItalyDinerShoreDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful birthday celebration with friends for my husband's 50th birthday!! Pasta and meat dishes were excellent and wine was perfect! Ambiance was very warm and welcoming. Server was friendly and professional. I would return on my next trip to Hilton Head!Special Features:
- Great pickJhonnyVVIPDined on 9/5/2014We were impressed with the ambience and the restaurant in general. Food is great, nice for a Very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a whopping pricePickyDinerDined on 9/5/2014The food here is wonderful. Fresh, great nuance to the spices and so on. Innovative menu and portion sizes are appropriate! So for a special occasion, this is the place! However, one salad, 2 entrees, one dessert, 3 drinks with tip was $180. So be prepared. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for! They also do a great value early bird dinner 5 - 5:45 at I think $25 p p.Special Features:
- Great Food & servicePhilMDined on 9/3/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at Michael Anthony's last week. The food was excellent and the accompanied wine list was very well matched and affordable. The service was simply outstanding and friendly - Bottom line - if you want an enjoyable low key dinner with great service and food, this is the placeSpecial Features:
- mandmDined on 9/2/2014We greatly enjoyed the restaurant and food. The server was very attentive and the food was excellent. Dessert was fabulousI would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 8/30/2014Come here every year for the last 6 yrs when in hilton head , this was the first time not up to standards, food was just ok nothing spectacular, wine was expensive for the small portion they gave you, too many other great restaurants here , will probably remove them from our list
- Simple the bestPtvalVIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I both tried 2 of the specials. Amazing flavor on both dishes. Our 11 year old was able to get his favorite carbonara which wasn't on the menu. The service was perfect in timing, knowledge of dishes and wine and friendliness. It was our 15 year wedding anniversary and they surprised us with a glass of prosecco. This is the best restaurant on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2dineVIPDined on 8/29/2014Best restaurant ever! It was so amazing, the best ever!!!Special Features:
- A VERY PLEASANT EXPERIENCESupertoothVIPDined on 8/28/2014We visit Hilton Head every year, and we visit the more highly rated restaurants. This was our first (but not the last) visit to Michael Anthony's. The greeting was cordial, our table was ready, and our waiter was prompt, courteous, and knowlegeable. The food was exceptional in creativity, presentation, and taste. The extensive wine list was very impressive. We will certainly return to this restaurant, and recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Consistently greattastyVIPDined on 8/28/2014With a number of wines by the glass Michael Anthony's makes pairing a wine with your dinner at art. Ian turned us onto a new bubbly on the menu, Ferrari, that we pleasantly surprised by. When in doubt or at a loss ask your server. They won't steer you wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HHIFanDined on 8/28/2014First time dining at this restaurant and what a find! Food was excellent and the service great. Will definitely add this restaurant to my must visits when on the island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal at this restaurant.TwofoodysDined on 8/25/2014We had a very nice dinner at Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana. The atmosphere was nice, staff were efficient and the food was excellent. Our only complaint is that the table was kind of low making it uncomfortable to sit at for an extended period of time.Special Features:
- Great foodSteveDined on 8/25/2014Amazing food. Great deserts. Kids friendly. We had dinner with 3 kids. A bit pricy but the food quality is very high, so overall worth the money. We will come back to this place for sure. Deserts were amazing as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a nice mealKeshanahDined on 8/23/2014I wasn't blown away, but the food was nice, and the service was excellent. Most notably, the gnocchi and chocolate souffle were great.Special Features:
- Excellent!ColonelDined on 8/23/2014One of the best meals we've ever had. The food was exceptional and the staff was extraordinarily attentive, from the owner who personally visited our table to deliver two complimentary glasses of prosecco and wish us a happy anniversary (we informed the restaurant via OpenTable that we were celebrating our 25th), to the attentive waiter, to the owners spouse, who was also intimately involved in the restaurant operation. The staff even went so far as to acknowledge special occasion guests like us by giving us black table napkins as opposed to white, so the entire staff would be aware it was a special occasion for us. This was one of the best meals we've ever had. A bit pricey, but we will definitely return if we visit Hilton Head againSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We had a marvelous dinner and would highly recommend eating @ Michael Anthony's. The wine was excellent too. We got the early bird special and it was elegant, good and just the right amount of food. Would definitely go again and we did go to the cooking school later in the week and loved that too. 'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding GemCouplefrombuffaloDined on 8/22/2014We have dined at various upscale restaurants on Hilton Head. Michael Anthony's was, by far, the best meal we had during our one week vacation. The staff was attentive. Peter , our server, was very knowledgeable of the menu and the evenings specials. We asked for his recommendations and they did not disappoint! The carbonara special and seafood with spicy red sauce were to die for. The best we've ever experienced! The meatball appetizer was equally delicious. We also experienced the potato gnocchi as an appetizer . They were light and the sauce was fresh as if the tomatoes were just picked from the garden. Do not skip the profiterals for dessert. Chatting with the owners was the final touch to a perfect evening. We will return!Special Features:
- VerdeVIPDined on 8/21/2014We found better than the usual Hilton Head dining at Michael Anthony's. Fresh seafood, great wine list, salads and appetizers with great flavors. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!lchinvabch23451Dined on 8/18/2014We could have not asked for a more perfect evening. Starting with the attentive and knowledgeable waiter and ending with a dessert that complemented the entire meal, it was a wonderful dining experience. The food preparation, timing of course arrival, and the actual meals were exceptional. This was our third visit to the restaurant and our favorite one, by far. We look forward to returning next summer....and we are recommending this to friends who are planning a visit to the island next month.Special Features:
- This place is terrific in EVERY wayMictomDined on 8/18/2014The food, ambiance, service -- all superb. We were celebrating a special wedding anniversary and couldn't have chosen a better place to celebrate. Owners Anthony and Becky made it very special indeed. The food was out of this world and the attention to detail incredible.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014the only complaint is that the very knowledgeable waitress did not also deliver the meal and i specifically asked for veggies instead potatoes but potatoes arrived when the meal was brought by the "runner". if the waitress had brought the meal, she would have noticed the this.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightDunwoodydinersVIPDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary at Michael Anthony's recently. It was perfect! The pescatore and veal medallions were both cooked to perfection. Service was impeccable. We did not have room for dessert, but I can only imagine what they have to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must while in Hilton HeadBLMSkierVIPDined on 8/14/2014If your looking to enjoy a special evening...Michael Anthony's is the place! And be sure to make a reservation well in advance so you don't miss out on this wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Great experienceIslanddiningDined on 8/9/2014I have been coming to the Island for over 6 years. I stumbled across this restaurant and can honestly say it was the best Italian restaurant that I have ever eaten at, not only on the island but throughout my entire travels. Don't be deceived by its location when you pull up as it is located among offices, Etc. They decor is delightful, warm and comfortable. The food was absolutely phenomenal. The homemade ribbon pasta was superb. The chocolate soufflé cake was delicious. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Island Eats Drew Us In!JeanVIPDined on 8/9/2014We have been coming to HHI for many years &returned last week to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I was looking thru one of the magazine's and read an article on the owners and it sparked my interest. We were in Italy last summer and love to find places to take us back there--Michael Anthony's did! We would rank our dinner as the best we have had for Italian eats since returning--we loved the caprese and watermelon salads, my husband loved the option of two entree's for size of one, and my veal was outstanding especially the sauce! We enjoyed great wine and ended the evening with a chocolate souflee & gelato which we have come to love. We hope to return soon! jeanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marshall - Turnaround ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant and very much look forward to another fantastic dining experience. Upon entry we were quickly seated and knew it was going to be another wonderful time with our family. Unfortunately, Jay, our server was less than attentive. He took several minutes to address our table, did not review the specials and virtually ignored us. It was so offensive, we asked for a table change. Luckily, we were sat in Pete's section and this led to a much better experience. He reviewed the specials, was able to offer suggestions, and made the second half of our time here reminiscent of our first visit. This is worth a visit, just don't sit in Jay's section.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianLouie5Dined on 8/5/2014Great food, great service! We will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staple to Our Hilton Head VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/4/2014My family goes to Hilton Head for a week every year and this has become a "must go" at least once during our stay. Their wine flights are a great way to sample several excellent wines from their list. Their appetizers are delicious and between our group we've gotten to sample several of their entrees and pastas. We've always been completely satisfied with our orders. I can't seem to branch out past the “Calamaretti con Gamberi" since it's so delicious but everything is artfully made and presented. The servers are knowledgable, friendly, and enthusiastic about working there. Definitely go if you get a chance!Special Features:
- Fantastic Authentic Italian FoodyumyumgetyourselfsomeDined on 8/2/2014Micheal Anthony's is a fantastic restaurant. Our waiter was very helpful and polite and gave us great service. The food was excellent, probably the best Italian food I've ever had. Totally worth the price. I highly recommend for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Hilton Head FavoritehhislandgirlVIPDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I have had dinner at Michael Anthony's on two occasions since moving here last year. We love the space and the food is always consistent. We have also taken a hands on cooking class and loved working with Chef Chris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CTHuskyDined on 7/31/2014MA has become a regular spot for us on HHI, during our annual vacation. It has never let us down, with great food and service.Special Features:
- A great choice.Sj22Dined on 7/29/2014We were visiting the island this week and decided to celebrate a birthday here. The decor was lovely. The food was delicious, and the wait staff was friendly and efficient.Special Features: