Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
37 New Orleans Road
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michael-anthonys.com/
- Phone: (843) 785-6272
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner Monday - Saturday beginning at 5:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: At Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana we offer five unique private party options for hosting your special event
- Private Party Contact: Jill Boyd 8775644026
A word from Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana offers traditional regional Italian cuisine combining innovative presentations and style. The award winning culinary team presents a menu using the freshest ingredients for an unforgettable culinary experience featuring homemade gnocchi, succulent veal,daily selections of fresh fish and house-made desserts. Acknowledged by food and wine enthusiasts and critics alike, the restaurant presents a fine-dining experience combining an award-winning wine list, exquisite food, attentive service and the personal touch of a family-owned restaurant serving the Lowcountry since 2002. In fact, Michael Anthony’s was recognized in 2010 by Open Table diners as one of the "Top 50 Italian Restaurants" in the United States! In addition, Michael Anthony’s operates a Cooking School conducting weekly hands-on and demonstration style cooking classes and a specialty Italian market. Please visit our website or call for information for our class schedule or dining reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (116)notable wine list (99)romantic (97)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (31)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Kusshi Oysters and Sancerre!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014This place is amazing. The food is always tremendous and the service is top notch. We were just in for a wine and oyster tasting which was outstanding. I would highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok; awesome environmentFoodieDined on 11/20/2014We just wish the food was better; it didn't "wow" us. It was "ok" --- but was nothing to rave about. We eat out a lot and are big foodies.Special Features:
- What a gem!3puttDined on 11/11/2014This Italian restaurant serves wonderful seafood and veal, prepared in the classic manner. The staff is very welcoming, and is attentive to detail. We can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperiencephylVIPDined on 11/11/2014We always try to eat here twice when we visit Hilton Head. The food is fabulous and the service exceptional.Special Features:
- Fabulous dinner!KylieDined on 11/8/2014I live in Hilton Head and this is one of my favorite restaurants. I love the upstairs area of the restaurant, which is a little quieter. The food and service have been outstanding every time that we have eaten here. The wait staff really knows food and wine and make great suggestions if unsure of what to order. I would,highly recommend Michael Anthony's .Special Features:
- back at Michael'sDaveDined on 11/8/2014hadn't been to Michael Anthonys in a while - now that we live here thought we check it out. excellent food and great service by Jason who was very helpful with wine and food selectionSpecial Features:
- Fantastic!Hokie26Dined on 11/7/2014We have been visiting HHI for many years but never went to Michael Anthony's. Typically we are looking for seafood and this is Italian, not seafood. We loved it and went here two out of three dinners. If you like to eat early, go to their Early Bird seating. Great deal on great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michael Anthony'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Michael Anthony's was great!! We went there for my birthday. The food was very prompt and excellent! The salmon was light and delicious. Panna coata with fruits was light and delicious! The server was great and voice was very deep!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- randi rimedioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014From start to finish, Excellence ! 5 star service, and the food was gastronomic perfection. Osso Bucco was fabulous. Presentation, flavors, service made for a perfect evening. Did I mention the outstanding service??? Do not miss this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantMALUDined on 11/1/2014For some reason this was our first time eating here. Had no idea what we were missing! Food was excellent, service was excellent and on our next trip to HHI we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit will not be our lastOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/1/2014Our group of 4 selected MA's based on Tripadvisor reviews - we were not disappointed. We celebrated a special anniversary and were seated upstairs where the atmosphere was perfect & the meal was not rushed. We enjoyed a complimentary toast to start our evening! The Tuscan soup, Caesar and beet salads, all perfectly seasoned, were a nice start to our meals. My pasta with lump crab, arugula, & tomatoes in wine sauce was light & delicious. Others had the rigatoni - a bit too salty for their taste but not a deal breaker. We all had room for dessert- tiramisu was our favorite: light and tasty - a perfect end to the meal. Also had the cream puff & vanilla cream pudding, a close 2nd. It was a delightful evening - we would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentMb23Dined on 10/31/2014I visit Hilton Head frequently several times a year and Michael Anthony's is the most consistently great restaurant I've been to on the island. Excellent menu and service. Beef carpaccio is a stand out appetizer - pasta special was deliciously prepared with fresh ingredients - osso buco special was awesome and the lemon chicken entree superb. No hesitation in recommending this restaurant. Not cheap but worth every $$.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysMMT82Dined on 10/31/2014We have never had anything but a wonderful meal at Michael Anthony's. The food is always so fresh and flavorful. And our server was wonderful too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full of themselvesezwingDined on 10/27/2014My husband and I, like many other people I'm sure, dined here based on the reviews that we read. We love good food & we love unique restaurants. What we don't love are best-reviewed places who take their reviews & themselves a little too seriously. And this was, in our opinion, one of those places. The food was good, not great; the ambience was ok, not great. But the service was pretentious and disinterested...one of those places where everyone who approaches your table seems to leave the impression that they're doing you a favor instead of trying to give you a fabulous dining experience. About halfway through our meal, we both commented that not one employee looked happy. It gave the whole meal a too-serious kind of vibe. Disappointing.Special Features:
- dannosreviewsVIPDined on 10/27/2014just had a 5 night stay on Hilton Head island and this was the shining star of 5 nights of dining out. I have been to New York for Italian food and to Italy for Italian food and this restaurant is as good or better than any restaurant I ate at in Italy over a 3 week period traveling throughout the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceAguyfromatlantaDined on 10/25/2014I can't say enough about Michael Anthony's, from the greeting to the service to the food. All fantastic! We were celebrating an anniversary and will have fond memories about our meal here.Special Features:
- Great food, servicedelishDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful meal...fine dining...very appealing portions and presentation of food...great service. A bit noisy when full, but not a turn-off. Enjoyed it very much and will always go back....Special Features:
- Developing FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014When visiting Hilton Head we always find time for dinner at Michael Anthony's. As always, the food was delicious and service impeccable. It was worth the trip to hear P.J., our waiter, recite the evening specials, explaining each dish in great detail and never hesitating. He returned occasionally to our table, asking, "How are your flavors developing?" Needless to say, the flavors of the various dishes developed nicely. A meal to remember.Special Features:
- The food is the thing....OldpastaloverDined on 10/17/2014The food and the service at Michael Anthony's are excellent. Not much else is really all that important. The atmosphere and surroundings are certainly not bad... Perhaps just not up to the high standards set by the food and service. I would certainly recommend it and definitely will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/17/2014Outstanding food and the service is unbeatable! Went twice on our one week vacation to HHI!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for golfersDecentChefDined on 10/17/2014Dining room full of couples and 4-tops on a Friday night and they seat an eight top of male golfers "celebrating" after a day full of testosterone and one-up-manship. From that point on, all tables were distracted by the "my wine selection is more expensive [or was it bigger] than yours" and other loud, inconsiderate shenanigans. Now we get it. This is HH in October and male golf parties abound. Most restaurants just find a separate room for them or they are considerate enough to stay out of a white tablecloth dining room. Food, service, wine list, we're all great and what we expected. Service is extremely knowledgeable...almost, not quite but almost, arrogant.Special Features:
- HHHHHHHHVIPDined on 10/17/2014It is difficult to find good Italian food outside of NYC; this restaurant is as good, if not better, than any NYC Italian eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in Low CountryJLDCEOVIPDined on 10/17/2014Simply great food! We had 3 of the pasta dishes and they were all ablolutley delicious. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the pastas. We also had the filet. Very good but nothing special, although again, you will not be disappointed. Finney, our waiter, was terrific as well. All in all, an absoluetely great meal. It was our first time there and we will be back! (Also, check out the Market if its open!)Special Features:
- Wonderful ItalianDragoncadeDined on 10/14/2014It was our last night at Hilton Head Island. We wanted a wonderful Italian place and a local favorite. Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana was an absolute gem with a great staff. The showed up the upstairs that they use for the cooking classes. This was a plus because we love cooking classes. The server was a wealth of information about the menu. She was incredible in allowing space for conversation for us and information about the Island. We will gladly come back.Special Features:
- Love this place!JoanieDined on 10/13/2014This was our second visit to Michael Anthony's and it was even better than our first. From being greeted at the door by the owner to the great service by our waiter, Pete, it was a wonderful experience. Food was excellent with lots of wonderful choices. Wine list was extensive and also had lots of wonderful choices. We travel to Hilton Head approximately four times a year. Eating at Michael Anthony's is always on our list of things to do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Had not been there for some time, but food was unimpressive, service slow and prices outrageous! To bad, use to be a favorite
- Equisite food - exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Had a terrific dining experience on Saturday night. The service was exceptional. Our server, Brooklyn, was attentive and well-versed on the menu and preparation of each dish. We were seated in "the Market" and had a very private dining experience. We enjoyed a glass of prosecco and two flights of very good quality red wine. The Carpaccio di Manzo was a terrific appetizer - excellent quality beef. The Involtini di Vitello (a tender veal dish) was magnificient. The flatbread pizza was great. The Profiterole alla Cioccolata (Italian creme pufffs) were delicious with coffee and perfect for sharing a lighter dessert. I highly recommend Michael Anthony's and will definitely dine here again the next time we are in Hilton Head.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.2oldtimersDined on 10/10/2014We went to this restaurant to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. The service and food were excellent. We were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne to start off our celebratory dinner. We will be back for another anniversary dinner in the future.Special Features:
- So good we came back twiceabbyserdDined on 10/8/2014We're never quite sure about Italian food outside of the northeast. Michael Angelos keeps the pace with the best. Service was attentive! In our couple of visits, we had the ceasar with the fresh anchovies, the baby calamari, the cacio e pepe, the spagetti with crab and the osso buco. We were delighted with everything we had. So much so, my partner enjoyed any leftover for breakfast! The seasoning, dressing and preparation is spot on! Risotto has a delicate bite without being gluey. We finished with the affogato and decided we could go to the electric chair happy! This is a spot not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand for a CelebrationEdgarDined on 10/8/2014I took my wife here for a birthday celebration & it was perfect. The waiter was superb as were the exquisitely prepared & presented courses. It was a memorable celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and deliciousPastaFreakDined on 10/6/2014Happily, we were in a small room called the market (that's what it is during the day). It was much quieter than the main dining room. Our waiter was the best. He was not intrusive but certainly saw to our needs. The owners are very involved - they welcomed us and said goodbye at the end of the evening. Their chef is a creative genius; not just your run of the mill Italian food! They were very accommodating in allowing substitutions for sides. Michael Anthony's is definitely worth multiple visits!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We had a delightful dining experience. Lovely pasta!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We adore this restaurant. The experience never disappoints.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEFLOATVIPDined on 10/3/2014When to dinner to celebrate my wife 70th birthday. The waiter brought to us 2 glasses of complimentary champagne. The food was excellent and also the service. Will go again the next time we are in Hilton Head Island, SCSpecial Features:
- Almost ItalyFoodloverDined on 10/2/2014The food transports you to Italy and was excellent. Our waiter was great. Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ohio123ohio123Dined on 9/29/2014Looking for a change from all seafood restaurants after 5 days of great seafood. Took the 5:15 - 5:45 $21 special. While food was excellent, waitress treated us like dirt at a time when there weren't more than 15 people in the restaurant. Certainly our last visit. Catch 22 next door is a much better choice.Special Features:
- Typical american italian fareZoewVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nothing surprising given all the hype the reviews made me believe. Food was good but not great.Special Features:
- Always a stop....MacDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Without question one of the top spots on the island. You will not be disappointed by the food, service or ambiance. The osso bucco is outstanding but I believe only served on Friday night. Wonderful blend of Italian offerings as well....for this they are noted...but not your standards by any means. Outstanding wine list! Service is what one would expect from a fine restaurant with a personal, local flair....many of the servers have been here for years and do a great job representing the chef and owners in making you feel at home and welcome. I have been dining here more years than I can remember and never had less than an outstanding evening! Thanks to Lucy for great service on my last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't wowed at all by the foodFoodieforlifeDined on 9/24/2014It's very small, very old decor with screws sticking out of the walls in the booth section. (I caught my blazer on it). The food seemed bland, maybe it was what I ordered. The two of us spent $200 that I wish I had back.
- Outstanding Service from Lucy!DannMDined on 9/24/2014Lucy is a profession. She made great food and wine recommendations that were right on. Will recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features: