Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
37 New Orleans Road
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michael-anthonys.com/
- Phone: 8437856272x
- Hours of Operation:
Serving dinner Monday - Saturday beginning at 5:15pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chris Johnson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: At Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana we offer five unique private party options for hosting your special event
- Private Party Contact: Jill Boyd 8775644026
A word from Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana
Michael Anthony’s Cucina Italiana offers traditional regional Italian cuisine combining innovative presentations and style. The award winning culinary team presents a menu using the freshest ingredients for an unforgettable culinary experience featuring homemade gnocchi, succulent veal,daily selections of fresh fish and house-made desserts. Acknowledged by food and wine enthusiasts and critics alike, the restaurant presents a fine-dining experience combining an award-winning wine list, exquisite food, attentive service and the personal touch of a family-owned restaurant serving the Lowcountry since 2002. In fact, Michael Anthony’s was recognized in 2010 by Open Table diners as one of the "Top 50 Italian Restaurants" in the United States! In addition, Michael Anthony’s operates a Cooking School conducting weekly hands-on and demonstration style cooking classes and a specialty Italian market. Please visit our website or call for information for our class schedule or dining reservations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana - Best Restaurants in Hilton Head ›
Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)special occasion (130)notable wine list (116)romantic (114)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (32)hot spot (20)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food, servicedelishDined on 10/18/2014Wonderful meal...fine dining...very appealing portions and presentation of food...great service. A bit noisy when full, but not a turn-off. Enjoyed it very much and will always go back....Special Features:
- The food is the thing....OldpastaloverDined on 10/17/2014The food and the service at Michael Anthony's are excellent. Not much else is really all that important. The atmosphere and surroundings are certainly not bad... Perhaps just not up to the high standards set by the food and service. I would certainly recommend it and definitely will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/17/2014Outstanding food and the service is unbeatable! Went twice on our one week vacation to HHI!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch out for golfersDecentChefDined on 10/17/2014Dining room full of couples and 4-tops on a Friday night and they seat an eight top of male golfers "celebrating" after a day full of testosterone and one-up-manship. From that point on, all tables were distracted by the "my wine selection is more expensive [or was it bigger] than yours" and other loud, inconsiderate shenanigans. Now we get it. This is HH in October and male golf parties abound. Most restaurants just find a separate room for them or they are considerate enough to stay out of a white tablecloth dining room. Food, service, wine list, we're all great and what we expected. Service is extremely knowledgeable...almost, not quite but almost, arrogant.Special Features:
- HHHHHHHHVIPDined on 10/17/2014It is difficult to find good Italian food outside of NYC; this restaurant is as good, if not better, than any NYC Italian eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian in Low CountryJLDCEOVIPDined on 10/17/2014Simply great food! We had 3 of the pasta dishes and they were all ablolutley delicious. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the pastas. We also had the filet. Very good but nothing special, although again, you will not be disappointed. Finney, our waiter, was terrific as well. All in all, an absoluetely great meal. It was our first time there and we will be back! (Also, check out the Market if its open!)Special Features:
- Wonderful ItalianDragoncadeDined on 10/14/2014It was our last night at Hilton Head Island. We wanted a wonderful Italian place and a local favorite. Michael Anthony's Cucina Italiana was an absolute gem with a great staff. The showed up the upstairs that they use for the cooking classes. This was a plus because we love cooking classes. The server was a wealth of information about the menu. She was incredible in allowing space for conversation for us and information about the Island. We will gladly come back.Special Features:
- Love this place!JoanieDined on 10/13/2014This was our second visit to Michael Anthony's and it was even better than our first. From being greeted at the door by the owner to the great service by our waiter, Pete, it was a wonderful experience. Food was excellent with lots of wonderful choices. Wine list was extensive and also had lots of wonderful choices. We travel to Hilton Head approximately four times a year. Eating at Michael Anthony's is always on our list of things to do!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Had not been there for some time, but food was unimpressive, service slow and prices outrageous! To bad, use to be a favorite
- Equisite food - exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014Had a terrific dining experience on Saturday night. The service was exceptional. Our server, Brooklyn, was attentive and well-versed on the menu and preparation of each dish. We were seated in "the Market" and had a very private dining experience. We enjoyed a glass of prosecco and two flights of very good quality red wine. The Carpaccio di Manzo was a terrific appetizer - excellent quality beef. The Involtini di Vitello (a tender veal dish) was magnificient. The flatbread pizza was great. The Profiterole alla Cioccolata (Italian creme pufffs) were delicious with coffee and perfect for sharing a lighter dessert. I highly recommend Michael Anthony's and will definitely dine here again the next time we are in Hilton Head.Special Features:
- Great restaurant.2oldtimersDined on 10/10/2014We went to this restaurant to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. The service and food were excellent. We were treated to a complimentary glass of champagne to start off our celebratory dinner. We will be back for another anniversary dinner in the future.Special Features:
- So good we came back twiceabbyserdDined on 10/8/2014We're never quite sure about Italian food outside of the northeast. Michael Angelos keeps the pace with the best. Service was attentive! In our couple of visits, we had the ceasar with the fresh anchovies, the baby calamari, the cacio e pepe, the spagetti with crab and the osso buco. We were delighted with everything we had. So much so, my partner enjoyed any leftover for breakfast! The seasoning, dressing and preparation is spot on! Risotto has a delicate bite without being gluey. We finished with the affogato and decided we could go to the electric chair happy! This is a spot not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand for a CelebrationEdgarDined on 10/8/2014I took my wife here for a birthday celebration & it was perfect. The waiter was superb as were the exquisitely prepared & presented courses. It was a memorable celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and deliciousPastaFreakDined on 10/6/2014Happily, we were in a small room called the market (that's what it is during the day). It was much quieter than the main dining room. Our waiter was the best. He was not intrusive but certainly saw to our needs. The owners are very involved - they welcomed us and said goodbye at the end of the evening. Their chef is a creative genius; not just your run of the mill Italian food! They were very accommodating in allowing substitutions for sides. Michael Anthony's is definitely worth multiple visits!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We had a delightful dining experience. Lovely pasta!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We adore this restaurant. The experience never disappoints.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICEFLOATVIPDined on 10/3/2014When to dinner to celebrate my wife 70th birthday. The waiter brought to us 2 glasses of complimentary champagne. The food was excellent and also the service. Will go again the next time we are in Hilton Head Island, SCSpecial Features:
- Almost ItalyFoodloverDined on 10/2/2014The food transports you to Italy and was excellent. Our waiter was great. Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ohio123ohio123Dined on 9/29/2014Looking for a change from all seafood restaurants after 5 days of great seafood. Took the 5:15 - 5:45 $21 special. While food was excellent, waitress treated us like dirt at a time when there weren't more than 15 people in the restaurant. Certainly our last visit. Catch 22 next door is a much better choice.Special Features:
- Typical american italian fareZoewVIPDined on 9/27/2014Nothing surprising given all the hype the reviews made me believe. Food was good but not great.Special Features:
- Always a stop....MacDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Without question one of the top spots on the island. You will not be disappointed by the food, service or ambiance. The osso bucco is outstanding but I believe only served on Friday night. Wonderful blend of Italian offerings as well....for this they are noted...but not your standards by any means. Outstanding wine list! Service is what one would expect from a fine restaurant with a personal, local flair....many of the servers have been here for years and do a great job representing the chef and owners in making you feel at home and welcome. I have been dining here more years than I can remember and never had less than an outstanding evening! Thanks to Lucy for great service on my last visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wasn't wowed at all by the foodFoodieforlifeDined on 9/24/2014It's very small, very old decor with screws sticking out of the walls in the booth section. (I caught my blazer on it). The food seemed bland, maybe it was what I ordered. The two of us spent $200 that I wish I had back.
- Outstanding Service from Lucy!DannMDined on 9/24/2014Lucy is a profession. She made great food and wine recommendations that were right on. Will recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:
- Another Great ExperienceBillSDined on 9/23/2014We come to Hilton Head at least once a year. We never go back to NC without dining at Michael Anthony's at least once on each visit to the island.Special Features:
- Most enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Beautiful presentation, great service, good food. Also offers an excellent early dining selection.Special Features:
- Good but not GreatTinkerbelle57Dined on 9/19/2014We made our reservations four days prior but when we arrived there was considerable delay/discussion about our seating. We were ultimately seated upstairs which does not have the same ambiance as the bar and downstairs dining area. We began with cocktails, I had a delicious Nonna's Sangria made with Prosecco and Fresh Fruit. We began with the Antipasto Platter which was good and attractively presented. I had Pollo alla Capricciosa which was dry and not enhanced by the weedy and bitter arugula. My husband had the pasta special which was homemade rolled pasta with sausage and mushrooms. Excellent. We split a Sformata di Cioccolata for dessert. Very tasty but small. With a bottle of wine, our meal was approximately $200.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014A vacation to HHI would not be complete without a dinner( or two) at this fabulous restaurant. The food is consistently delicious, fresh and plated beautifully. The wine is outstanding. The service attentive, friendly, and informative. It's a smells good, feels good ,tastes good place to dine. Don't be fooled by the odd gray exterior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian on Hilton HeadACfunDined on 9/15/2014Great food, atmosphere, service. We are from NJ and travel to Italy often. We were surprised how good and original the Italian food was at Michael Anthony's. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing!luvital44Dined on 9/10/2014We have dined at the restaurant previously and enjoyed it. Our recent visit was not as nice. The service you would expect from a restaurant like this was disappointing. One entree was good and the one was very mediocre. Will not return.
- Great ItalianJeffPDined on 9/10/2014Awesome food and a great wine list top the list for this excellent restaurant in Hilton Head. Fresh, well prepared and excellently prepared servings paired with great wine choices make this a must-do location for anyone who appreciates good Italian.Special Features:
- Consistent and Great Servicebman598VIPDined on 9/9/2014Always come to Michael Anthony's for a great Italian meal when on the island. Service and atmosphere are always great. This time the food was a little let down. It was good just not spectacular and what I expect for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014Out family has been vacationing at Hilton Head Island for many years, and Michael Anthony's is always tops on our list for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but so, so service:(2FoodiesDined on 9/6/2014We dined there at 8pm on a Saturday night and were seated upstairs as requested. We were greeted by our server and her helper promptly and served water. We selected a bottle of wine and ordered an anti pasti plate to share. Great choice. However, a large party of 10-12 were seated about that time. Antipasti and wine were served and we were still holding our large, bulky menus waiting to order while we ate. The big table heard about the specials and ordered, we were still waiting. We finally got to order, the food was great, but the service was not up to par. We have dined there many times and our daughter's wedding reception and dinner were held there, but the service was much better. Next time, I'll call for a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big ItalyDinerShoreDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful birthday celebration with friends for my husband's 50th birthday!! Pasta and meat dishes were excellent and wine was perfect! Ambiance was very warm and welcoming. Server was friendly and professional. I would return on my next trip to Hilton Head!Special Features:
- Great pickJhonnyVVIPDined on 9/5/2014We were impressed with the ambience and the restaurant in general. Food is great, nice for a Very special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a whopping pricePickyDinerDined on 9/5/2014The food here is wonderful. Fresh, great nuance to the spices and so on. Innovative menu and portion sizes are appropriate! So for a special occasion, this is the place! However, one salad, 2 entrees, one dessert, 3 drinks with tip was $180. So be prepared. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for! They also do a great value early bird dinner 5 - 5:45 at I think $25 p p.Special Features:
- Great Food & servicePhilMDined on 9/3/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner at Michael Anthony's last week. The food was excellent and the accompanied wine list was very well matched and affordable. The service was simply outstanding and friendly - Bottom line - if you want an enjoyable low key dinner with great service and food, this is the placeSpecial Features:
- mandmDined on 9/2/2014We greatly enjoyed the restaurant and food. The server was very attentive and the food was excellent. Dessert was fabulousI would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 8/30/2014Come here every year for the last 6 yrs when in hilton head , this was the first time not up to standards, food was just ok nothing spectacular, wine was expensive for the small portion they gave you, too many other great restaurants here , will probably remove them from our list
- Simple the bestPtvalVIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I both tried 2 of the specials. Amazing flavor on both dishes. Our 11 year old was able to get his favorite carbonara which wasn't on the menu. The service was perfect in timing, knowledge of dishes and wine and friendliness. It was our 15 year wedding anniversary and they surprised us with a glass of prosecco. This is the best restaurant on the Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.