8609 Germantown Avenue
Chestnut Hill, PA 19118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.micarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2673353912x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch is served on Sundays from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles "Chip" Roman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Mica offers an array of possibilities for special events and parties. Events range from an exclusive private event in our dining room to intimate parties at your home. Please call for availability and pricing information.
- Private Party Facilities: Mica restaurant offers full buy out options as well as an exclusive chefs table that seats eight to ten people. With customizable options and personable service, Mica can ensure a exceptional experience had by all.
- Special Events:
- Cross Street: Evergreen Avenue
- Public Transit: Mica Restaurant is easily accessible from Center City, Philadelphia by Septa regional rail lines. The R7 Chestnut Hill East and the R8 Chestnut Hill West lines both terminate at Chestnut Hill.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ticketed public parking lots are available behind the restaurant off of East Evergreen Avenue.
A word from Mica
Mica Restaurant, owned and operated by Chip Roman (Blackfish Restaurant), offers a progressive American cuisine. A la carte and tasting menus are featured in a cozy and intimate environment with the Chef's table available every night by reservation only. Mica restaurant is dedicated to providing guests with a premier level of food quality, wine, service, and social environment resulting in an exceptional guest experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Mica reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (46)romantic (38)notable wine list (22)great for brunch (9)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- Delicious as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014The watermelon carpaccio had amazing flavor and the appearance was outstanding. It looked like beef! We have always had great meals here and we are haven't been disappointed thus far.Special Features:
- Hit or MissLaFleurVIPDined on 8/2/2014Menu changes frequently so it can be hit or miss. Have had some of the most amazing meals here are well as some of the most disappointing. Atmosphere is quaint and romantic. Service is friendly and eager but lack training and/or experience in fine dining setting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/2/2014First time visit, had an excellent meal. Food was thoughtfully conceived and well executed. Servers had great pride in their work and delivered service with a casual friendliness. It is a relaxed but food-centric atmosphere with high standards for the table. Wine list reasonably priced, and while not large, reasonably sized with a good range of alternatives.Special Features:
- odetteDined on 8/1/2014The menu is limited and the prix fixe is $50 which is way too much for what you get. The presentation is beautiful, but the food itself isn't worth the price. I think an a la carte option would be welcome. I don't really plan on returning to Mica, there are many restaurants with a more interesting menu and better value than Mica.
- Brunch...AmySDined on 7/27/2014was fabulous. Mushroom frittatas and mimosas - Good stuff!Special Features:
- An excellent Chestnut Hill dinnerdiscriminatingdinerDined on 7/23/2014Mica's is a great addition to Chestnut Hill, serving refined, creative food at relatively moderate prices with fine service. Our recent meal was a series of small plates showcasing oysters, and it was a creative and very tasty set of offerings. But they shouldn't be so skimpy doling out bread! A lot of people avoid carbs, but it was really needed to sop up the delicious sauces we had--and to fill out what was a dinner otherwise almost completely lacking in carbs. We asked for seconds of bread and were rewarded with one egg-sized "pretzel roll" each. I asked for a second but the waiter moved on. And I miss the old byob policy. They sell excellent wines, but they are at least $11/glass--and fashionable half-filled glasses at that!Special Features:
- Outstanding Tasting MenuSmmphdVIPDined on 7/17/2014The 4 course tasting menus on Wednesday and Thursday nights make what might otherwise be a restaurant reserved for special occasions a weeknight treat too. Every night the food and service at Mica rivals the best of the restaurants downtown. Save yourself the train or car ride.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!luv2dineDined on 7/17/2014Once again Mica didn't disappoint. We had the soft shell crab tasting. The food is presented beautifully and the flavors are so exceptional. The staff is always friendly, knowledgable and attentive. We live about an hour and a half away or we would visit much more often.Special Features:
- Another lovely mealBLReviewDined on 7/15/2014This is probably the 6th or 7th time we've eaten at Mica. Food was delicious. The "simple salad" with buttermilk dressing is Heavenly. It would be nice to see the owner there one of these visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oral AdventureSylvesterDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I had a 9pm reservation on a Tuesday night which meant we had the place to ourselves. It was her birthday and the meal and setting were both fit for the special occasion. The "corned" lamb great and roasted trifle fish entrees were both incredible. We will be going back soon!Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 6/29/2014We went to Mica to celebrate the wedding anniversaries of two couples. The food was excellent; however, the portions were incredibly small for the price. One couple wanted to order the 4 course meal; however, it was only available if the entire table participated. Also, the menu for the 4 course meal was a secret. The chef apparently makes a decision what food to prepare and the restaurant guests have no clue what will be served. We had no option but to order from the regular menu. The choices were few and the prices high. The chef forgot to include rabbit meat in the rabbit appetizer. We will probably never return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- DeliciousastaceDined on 6/25/2014We always have the chef's tasting menu - and are never disappointed! Creative and surprising - always delicious!Special Features:
- Spectacular foodSparkyDined on 6/19/2014This was our second trip to mica and most of us loved it again. The food is spectacular - beautiful, delicious, adventurous. Negatives: 1. One person in our party has a more basic palate and didn't like it the food as much. 2. A bit noisy on the mid-week night we went, which was surprising. I hadn't remembered it as loud. 3. They say they are handicapped accessible but really aren't. We had to enter through a dirty back alley, and even that way, there was a high step up. They should definitely address this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and EggssssBestMealEverVIPDined on 6/15/2014I went here with my dad for Father's day and got the steak and eggs. It was nothing short of amazing. Everything was perfectly cooked. To top it off, we got the doughnuts for dessert which were perfectly made. I will definitely be going back here again.Special Features:
- Mica Rocks!dvyknsDined on 6/15/2014We found Mica to be perfect for Sunday Brunch with our daughter and son-in-law. We came into Chestnut Hill at 10.00am last Sunday, under the mistaken impression that some shops would be open. It seems that everything, except for Starbucks, waits until 11.00am to start the day (including Mica). But we spent a relaxed hour in the very pleasant Chestnut Hill Starbucks before finding a well-placed, comfortable table for four at Mica. The wait staff are very polite and friendly, albeit a little careless at times; e.g. serving soup with no spoon, and not always being visible. Starters were excellent and the Three Egg Scramble proved a universal favorite. Mica is a great semi-casual find for those wandering Chestnut Hill's main street.Special Features:
- The royal treatment!MikeDVIPDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoy dining at Mica and have been here multiple times. We celebrated a special occasion here this visit and were treated very well by everyone on staff. We had a wonderful evening with fantastic food and exceptional service. We highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mica, Chestnut Hill, Sat. nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Varied and unique menu options. Staff was very knowledgeable about the selections and ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAmateurEaterDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I went to Mica on a Saturday night. We had the five course chef tasting menu and it was amazing. Every dish was done to perfection. When you go I hope you are fortunate enough to try the smoked salmon in jalapeño broth. I could have are that all night. Great job by Chef Roman and the entire staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great ExperianceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014I decided to take my partners out for celebratory dinner. Normally this means trip to the Capital Grille or other similar Steak House. Instead I decided to go to Mica and try the tasting menu. I alerted the Mica team ahead of time of the food preferences of several of my party. The result was an amazing meal that even my two steak and potato's partners loved. They really liked the flow of small plates and how that made the meal a true dining experience. Our servers were top notch and flawlessly explained the intricacies of the Chef's creations. I don't have enough space to describe all the courses but my favorite was the Crudo with a smoked jalapeno dashi broth. The desserts were spot on and a great way to end the meal.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!AmberDined on 5/31/2014This dinner lived up to the hype! I loved the food the services was great/fun/knowledgable. I made another booking while at dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third great experienceTubbyDined on 5/28/2014The food is very creative and sophisticated The flavors are delicious. This was the third visit and the food was simply delicious. I loved the lamb shank I would love it if they added a salad to the first courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciously quiet sunday dinnerFlourtown313VIPDined on 5/25/2014We reserved a table for 2 on the Sunday before Memorial Day. The restaurant was practically empty. The service started off okay with the host saying we could sit anywhere, but not following us to the table. A few minutes later we got our menus. After that the service was spot on. The selection is a bit eclectic with very few choices. It required us to go outside our comfort zones. But, the meals were outstanding with beautiful presentation. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Tasting MenudaniDined on 5/22/2014We enjoyed our meal however a little disappointed on the diversity of the meal. I ordered the escargot tasting which was very nice. My husband decided to go with the 5 course tasting menu because the server stressed the fact that the chef likes to use a lot of game and unique items. My husband and I love to try different things and we so excited to see what the surprise preparations would be. In addition, we purposely never order the same dishes so we have a change to try as many different items as possible. The unfortunate part was the 5 course tasting was a mirror of my escargot tasting menu with the exception of a different sauce on the pasta and a larger portion of the same main course. We were disappointed…………..Special Features:
- Stretching beyond their abilitiesfittobetriedDined on 5/16/2014We're frequent restaurant-goers and good cooks ourselves, and Mica doesn't quite deliver at these high prices. Several false notes throughout the meal, including an overabundance of large and fishy roe in an otherwise creamy and mild potato bisque, and a tuna tartare that was tender but disappointingly flavorless. Service was pleasant but repeatedly lacking in the important social grace of timing ones entry into a conversation; there were numerous abrupt interruptions in mid-sentence. Desserts were delicious and special, but with a choice of a 3 or 4 course experience at $50 or $60 a diner, and an expensive wine list, this was a poor value compared with many excellent dining choices downtown. Sadly, we won't be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/15/2014Went for the four-course halibut tasting menu, and it was excellent! Our server recommended a perfect bottle of wine which paired well with each course. This was one of our favorite dinners at Mica.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent great foodphillyfillDined on 5/14/2014Food was excellent as usual. A couple of issues however on the service: -- I had asked for a window seat in the reservation which they said by phone would not be a problem, but when arriving we were out of luck put in back room instead which was a bit noisy with the coffee machine -- slow service.. with a 7:40 arrival, we did not receive our drinks until near 8 and appetizers 8:25, entree 8:50. Seemed like a long stretch when others around us were served more timely. Still love the foodSpecial Features:
- Still Great the Second Time AroundIXLR8Dined on 5/11/2014As was the case on our first visit, Mica is still a great place for a fine meal. Location, convienence, and ambience are top-notch. The service is outstanding. The menu was more than adequate, and the food was prepared and presented with care and great skill (though portions were small). We'll be back for sure, and will recomend Mica to our friends.Special Features:
- Among the bestCynwydkydVIPDined on 5/11/2014Put simply, Mica is one of the best restaurants in Philly. Superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!BobTDined on 5/11/2014As usual, Mica proves itself to be innovative in its design of its prix fixe dinners. Both presentation and taste would please the most demanding gourmet. The service was attentive in a most positive way. My wife and I enjoyed our best meal in years on Mother's Day. The previous best meal--why, Mica, of course!Special Features:
- FlourtownGDined on 5/11/2014Only minor issue was we were not offered bread after seating. When asked it was served cherfully, but other tables seemed to be offered bread without asking. Minor ding for service which was otherwise extremely pleasant. Totally recommend the place.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceAbbyDined on 5/10/2014The food was fab. The way the chef blends the flavors is amazingly good. I was surprised that Mica's menu is back to 3 or 5 courses but very happy they allows us to order less courses. That left room for a wonderful dessert and cappuccino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food too noisyFoodfunVIPDined on 5/9/2014The unique quality of the good was exclent. The noise level was very difficult to deal with. Too many hard surfaces. Wood walls wood floor wood table tops. I could hear every word at every other table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Dining DiscoveryNelstones2Dined on 5/9/2014Mica is the highest high end restaurant we've ever experienced in our neighborhood. Modestly but elegantly housed, fine choice of background music and bare table tops, the ambiance was ideal for focusing on the food -- even if the somewhat small, crowded space lent itself to a mildly unnerving noise level as diners poured in. However this seems a petty observation more than amply offset by the attentive, friendly service and superlatively prepared offerings, beginning with the luscious warm pretzel roll and chef's flavorful amuse-bouche. Each course built on the previous with care and creativity which delighted and gratified. At $50 a plate for starters however, it will remain a special occasion place for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TubbyDined on 4/30/2014I enjoyed my dinner there again. this was my second dinner. The cuisine is very fine and the hostess/server extremely sophisticated and very warm and hospitable. My only wish would be that there was a salad choice and some vegetables.Special Features:
- The following 521 reviews are from the Mica reviews archive.
- Excellent Night at Mica!MichaelGDined on 4/23/2014Mica is a wonderful spot for a group of people or a date and/or special occasion. The service is always formal, but relaxed & the food is always so incredibly thoughtful... One of the reasons I keep taking my significant other back time & time again!Special Features:
- Sublime...LenventionDined on 4/23/2014We went for a tasting event. Every course was beautifully balanced. Truly a pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious !MLD0244Dined on 4/20/2014After many fantastic meals at Mica, Blackfish & Ela we enjoyed another delicious tasting on Easter Sunday at Mica. Chip & his staff never disappoint !Special Features:
- First visit to MicaPidgeandDoc15236Dined on 4/20/2014Recommended by our daughter, the foodie in chief. We are from out of town and love period neighborhoods and architecture. We also love food that doesn't try too hard to be different. Mica was a success on every level. We are looking forward to returning. If our daughter plans on working in Philadelphia after her residency, Chestnut Hill is an area that we could see living in...while still remaining Pittsburgh sports fans. It was, just recently, named the foodie hot spot in Eater National, so it won't be an easy move to make.Special Features:
- quality not great, price too highabcdDined on 4/19/2014The food was unusual but not worth the money by a long shot. The "simple salad" was fresh with a buttermilk dressing but not special in terms of flavor. Gnocchi were bland, with some mushed up peas and a so-called "sauce ivoire" of oil with some crumbs of grated Parmesan cheese. A panna cotta with lemon mousse and lavender honey was very good. The service included many changes of plates and flatware and refills of water. The ambience, ugly adjacent shelves with cookbooks and copper pots, hardly enhanced the experience. The price was at least twice what the food merited, but may be reasonable if you want to spend your dining money on dishwashing and hydration.
- very good but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/17/2014The food and service are very good. The small space is intimate and the service is great. The menu is moderately expensive but the wine list starts at about $50 which add a considerable expense to the bill. Go only for special occasions. Alternative restaurants at the Chestnut Hill area such as the new Paris restaurant near the hotel are better value and more fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.