8609 Germantown Avenue
Chestnut Hill, PA 19118Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.micarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (267) 335-3912
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Tuesday - Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch is served on Sundays from 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles "Chip" Roman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Mica offers an array of possibilities for special events and parties. Events range from an exclusive private event in our dining room to intimate parties at your home. Please call for availability and pricing information.
- Private Party Facilities: Mica restaurant offers full buy out options as well as an exclusive chefs table that seats eight to ten people. With customizable options and personable service, Mica can ensure a exceptional experience had by all.
- Special Events:
- Cross Street: Evergreen Avenue
- Public Transit: Mica Restaurant is easily accessible from Center City, Philadelphia by Septa regional rail lines. The R7 Chestnut Hill East and the R8 Chestnut Hill West lines both terminate at Chestnut Hill.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Ticketed public parking lots are available behind the restaurant off of East Evergreen Avenue.
A word from Mica
Mica Restaurant, owned and operated by Chip Roman (Blackfish Restaurant), offers a progressive American cuisine. A la carte and tasting menus are featured in a cozy and intimate environment with the Chef's table available every night by reservation only. Mica restaurant is dedicated to providing guests with a premier level of food quality, wine, service, and social environment resulting in an exceptional guest experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Mica reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (37)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (11)hot spot (4)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great octopus, good atmosphere.NYPHILLYDCVIPDined on 11/23/2014The charred Spanish octopus first course was the best ooctopus I've ever had - perfectly done and an almost buttery texture. The lamb confit entree was also excellent. Nice wines by the glass so you can change between courses if you wish. I will definitely return. My only suggestion is that they tone down the music - a little too loud, and a little too modern I thought, which made it inconguent with the overall atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SophisticatedmemereDined on 11/15/2014Lovely quiet place with excellent service. Highly priced for small portions. Left less than full. Would recommend it to my wealthy friends who eat like birds, noting that menu is a la carte.Special Features:
- Vegetarian options limitedNYCPHLVIPDined on 11/15/2014Overall, a great experience. The waitress was helpful in letting us know what dishes would be adaptable (or not) for vegetarians. Food excellent but limited for vegetarians... probably outstanding for those who eat meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent - againmusicalfoodiesDined on 11/7/2014Visited Mica on a Friday evening for the second time in 3 months to celebrate our anniversary. While quite busy, the service, wine pairings and, of course, the food remained superb. What more is there to say? A wonderful addition to the Chestnut Hill - actually, the entire Philadelphia - fine dining scene.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Charming ambiance ... had a table in the sunny window. Waitress was attentive and helpful. Even got to meet the manager who came to our table to check in on us... nice touch! thank you.Special Features:
- Stellar, can't say enough!cb525Dined on 10/31/2014The meal was out of this world delicious. We chose to have each course paired with the appropriate wine (2 oz. each, so we didn't crawl home), a total treat of wines from around the world and pairings I never could have thought of, I would do it again. Each course has a story of interesting flavors and combinations, you can tell that the chef is not pumping out meals. He is thoughtful and precise about every facet of every dish. Beautifully presented, and always a nice surprise, perfection. Comfortable setting, great service, we couldn't have left happier. I think it's the best restaurant in Chestnut Hill, and we have some great ones. I can't recommend it enough!Special Features:
- Great FoodBoyPatatasDined on 10/26/2014One of the best place Ive been. The lady, cant remember her name, was very accommodating, enthusiastic on explaining what's the food they're offering. I seldom had those. I wish they have more cocktails to offer. Food is just right serving. I revommend the short rib and sea bass for entreeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014We did the 5 course Chef's selection. It was fabulous. Great seasonal menu local sourced foods. We will be back.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceMJP1VIPDined on 10/18/2014Food was excellent, you could tell time was taken to put it together properly. Service was great, very attentive and waitress was pleasant. All-in-all, great dinning experience.Special Features:
- Missed the markPhillycorkDined on 10/18/2014Was hoping for a unique evening for special occasion and was very disappointed. The wait staff was very attentive and eager to please. Unfortunately the prefix meal was confusing and did not seem to have any balance. I have a feeling that the owner chef was not working this night as the food was not worth the expensive price for the lack of quality. I like to support local restaurants, but next time I will head to Center City if I am going to spend a large amount of money hoping for a unique food experience.
- Amazing food/service, but crampedAprilgalDined on 10/18/2014We went to Mica to celebrate our wedding anniversary & had supurb, friendly, attentive service from start to finish from every single staff member. We enjoyed the chef's tasting menu & it was divine. Felt slightly rushed as all five courses came one after another but it was also nice to never have our water or champagne glasses empty. Tables are close to each other and it's brightly lit to not the most romantic option but we went there for the food based on recommendations from friends & were glad we did. Great location in quaint Chestnut Hill. Chef was very accommodating to food preferences & dietary needs and portions were just right. Would like to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food, Not Even StaffEatAllDayDined on 10/17/2014While the food is good, very fresh and plated like art there simply aren't enough people working this small neighborhood gem. It was hard to tell who was doing; no set hostess, no set bartender, etc. After waiting about 25 minutes to order a cocktail, we should have known what was in store for the rest of the evening. But the topper was the 40 minute wait for entrees. I'm not sure what was worse, the wait, the fact that no one came to at least get us another glass of wine, or that they served my dinner to a woman behind me who started eating it and realized it wasn't hers. Shortly after my dish arrived, in a very small portion and my husband was served a cold plate of short ribs. $200 later...we were fairly hangry. Sigh.Special Features:
- Good experience, but...JustCuriousDined on 10/17/2014This was the first visit for our group; we were not disappointed, but it was the service, not the food, which made an impression. We were greeted by a professional young gentleman and seated immediately. Our server was exceedingly upbeat and accommodating. We even had the sommelier choose a wine for us, which was outstanding. Salad and soup were wonderful, scallops were fine (not the best I've had). The mushroom gnocchi, however, left much to be desired as it was rather tasteless. It seemed to be more about texture than flavor. The dessert of ricotta donuts was the best part of the meal, enjoyed by everyone. The small dining room was comfortable but rather loud. Our meal lasted 3 hours, not a problem for us but could be for some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!gr8fdDined on 10/12/2014The juxtaposition of flavors in all the dishes was extremely tasteful with lovely surprises in terms of presentations, taste, color, and texture. Portions were just right. Delicious with wine pairings suggested by the staff.Special Features:
- Five Course TastingJeffreyDined on 10/12/2014We had a delicious five course tasting with wines paired to each. The service was attentive, courteous and thoughtful. A delightful way to end a beautiful day!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014I had dinner here last year and recently enjoyed Saturday brunch. Both meals were exceptional and the staff was knowledgeable, professional and friendly. If you enjoy the nuances of really well prepared food, you must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvMicaDined on 10/7/2014Mica is my all time favorite restaurant in Chestnut Hill. I go for Brunch or dinner at least once a week. The food is amazing and the staff is wonderful. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great little spotdennyDined on 10/4/2014The food was really really good but you have to have an unlimited dining budget if you plan on going more than rarely. Our visit worked out to almost $90 per person with tip and without drinks.Special Features:
- Wow!LatetobedDined on 10/3/2014You owe it to yourself to check this place out. The food creations are very well thought out and unique. The flavors work ever so well together, and are not your typical high-end restaurant foods and spices. They love to do it a little "differently" at Mica. This is not the same dining experience you will get at any other restaurant. Do the 5 course chefs table special along with the wine pairings. You won't regret it. Jamie, the General Manager / Sommelier did some really excellent pairings that made the meal even more enjoyable. Our waitress Erica was extremely helpful and a pleasure throughout the entire meal. Would we go back? Absolutely! Next time we will try the 7 course chefs menu with wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8th time eating at MicaBLReviewDined on 9/27/2014Mica continues to be our favorite restaurant in Chestnut Hill. The food is consistently superb, the staff is very professional, and the list goes on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealHopeful1Dined on 9/27/2014I've wanted to go to this restaurant for a while and it did not disappoint. The meal was great and the service excellent. I read that portions were small, but I found them to be just enough, as did my husband. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious everythingTarzansgirlVIPDined on 9/27/2014The key to a great frittata is lightness of the eggs, and this was possibly the best frittata I've ever had: it literally melted on the tongue and was packed with gruyere and goodness. Add on an incredible pastry basket and perfect Bloody Mary's, and you have the best brunch in Chestnut Hill.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceJerryVIPDined on 9/26/2014Mica is one of the best restaurants in the Philadelphia area. The presentation is very nice and the tastes are wonderful. We have eaten here several times and are always very pleasantly surprised by the unusual and memorable combination of tastes. Service is friendly and professional.Special Features:
- First Time and DissapointedlawthomasDined on 9/20/2014Based in rave reviews, we were looking forward to a wonderful experience. It was not, due to: 1. Confined, unattractive, dull décor. 2. Overly complicated concoctions. No clear taste, weird combinations. 3. Annoying, over solicitous wait person. When I want comments and/or service, I'll ask. There are many better choices in Chestnut Hill.
- Spectacular Dining!EllenDined on 9/9/2014Mica is one of the best restaurants my husband and I have ever been to. The food is incredible and the service worthy of 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just LovelyMoeKellyDined on 9/7/2014Very intimate, service was attentive to every need, we went for brunch. New twist on Eggs Benedict, just delicious. Mushroom frittata very flavorful. Coffee Americano great, not bitter. Definitely on the list to try for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Chestnut HillbruchayDined on 9/6/2014Mica is our go-to restaurant for romantic dinners for two, and also for showing our friends the best that Chestnut Hill has to offer. The wine lists and wait staff are exceptional. The food is always creative and never short of exceptional.Special Features:
- pleasant surpriseStevenDined on 9/3/2014We knew nothing about this restaurant before coming here for our 25th anniversary. It was mid week and we were dressed pretty nice. When we walked in I was underwhelmed my the casual decor and the fact that the place was fairly empty. The hostess escorted is to a corner table. When we got the menu I began to get intrigued. Eveything looked great. The waiter suggested the 5 course menu. We told him any particular food dislikes. The chef then put together an amazing meal. Each course was unique and delicious. Fee definitely a memorable night. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous!diningmavenDined on 9/2/2014An absolutely marvelous dining experience. Impeccable service, superb food and wine pairing. A destination for those interested in looking for a first-rate gastronomic experience - the chef is very gifted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently wonderfulSmmphdVIPDined on 8/29/2014We are Mica regulars; the 4 course tasting menus are always beautifully executed and a wonderful deal.Special Features:
- WonderfulJohnJ2KDined on 8/28/2014My guest and I had an absolutely wonderful meal at Mica this Thursday (August 28, 2014). We both ordered the Duck Tasting which was featured that evening, along with the wine paring. Mica is normally my "go to" place in Chestnut Hill, and this just seals the deal. It's virtually impossible to find a better Progressive American restaurant anywhere in the Philadelphia area. --JMSpecial Features:
- Delicious as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014The watermelon carpaccio had amazing flavor and the appearance was outstanding. It looked like beef! We have always had great meals here and we are haven't been disappointed thus far.Special Features:
- Hit or MissLaFleurVIPDined on 8/2/2014Menu changes frequently so it can be hit or miss. Have had some of the most amazing meals here are well as some of the most disappointing. Atmosphere is quaint and romantic. Service is friendly and eager but lack training and/or experience in fine dining setting.Special Features:
- JMNNYCVIPDined on 8/2/2014First time visit, had an excellent meal. Food was thoughtfully conceived and well executed. Servers had great pride in their work and delivered service with a casual friendliness. It is a relaxed but food-centric atmosphere with high standards for the table. Wine list reasonably priced, and while not large, reasonably sized with a good range of alternatives.Special Features:
- odetteDined on 8/1/2014The menu is limited and the prix fixe is $50 which is way too much for what you get. The presentation is beautiful, but the food itself isn't worth the price. I think an a la carte option would be welcome. I don't really plan on returning to Mica, there are many restaurants with a more interesting menu and better value than Mica.
- The following 552 reviews are from the Mica reviews archive.
- Brunch...AmySDined on 7/27/2014was fabulous. Mushroom frittatas and mimosas - Good stuff!Special Features:
- An excellent Chestnut Hill dinnerdiscriminatingdinerDined on 7/23/2014Mica's is a great addition to Chestnut Hill, serving refined, creative food at relatively moderate prices with fine service. Our recent meal was a series of small plates showcasing oysters, and it was a creative and very tasty set of offerings. But they shouldn't be so skimpy doling out bread! A lot of people avoid carbs, but it was really needed to sop up the delicious sauces we had--and to fill out what was a dinner otherwise almost completely lacking in carbs. We asked for seconds of bread and were rewarded with one egg-sized "pretzel roll" each. I asked for a second but the waiter moved on. And I miss the old byob policy. They sell excellent wines, but they are at least $11/glass--and fashionable half-filled glasses at that!Special Features:
- Outstanding Tasting MenuSmmphdVIPDined on 7/17/2014The 4 course tasting menus on Wednesday and Thursday nights make what might otherwise be a restaurant reserved for special occasions a weeknight treat too. Every night the food and service at Mica rivals the best of the restaurants downtown. Save yourself the train or car ride.Special Features:
- Always wonderful!luv2dineDined on 7/17/2014Once again Mica didn't disappoint. We had the soft shell crab tasting. The food is presented beautifully and the flavors are so exceptional. The staff is always friendly, knowledgable and attentive. We live about an hour and a half away or we would visit much more often.Special Features:
- Another lovely mealBLReviewDined on 7/15/2014This is probably the 6th or 7th time we've eaten at Mica. Food was delicious. The "simple salad" with buttermilk dressing is Heavenly. It would be nice to see the owner there one of these visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.