Mi Lah Vegetarian BYOB
218 South 16th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102Neighborhood:
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $30 and under
Mi Lah Vegetarian BYOB
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.milahvegetarian.com/
- Phone: 2157328888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Fusion / Eclectic, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Second floor dining room offers a more romantic private setting appropriate for events and weddings
- Private Party Contact: Jason Lay 2157328888
A word from Mi Lah Vegetarian BYOB
Mi Lah Vegetarian opened its door in October 2008 and proudly serves local, seasonal vegetables, forward vegetarian and vegan food. "Mi Lah" originates from the Indian Buddhist (Maitreya) word that denotes nature, harmony, happiness, kindness, and mercy and we strive to embody these principles through our work. We aim to fill the need for healthy, whole and delicious vegetarian cuisine in our neighbourhood as well as to be a friendly and active members of our community. Our menu features fruits and vegetables from local farms instead of heavy sauce and substitutions. We use the finest and freshest ingredients to offer an international array of dishes fit to impress the most sophisticated vegetarian palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mi Lah Vegetarian BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (12)good for groups (11)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)romantic (2)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- True Vegetarian FareOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Excellent food that had unique and unusual combinations. WE enjoyed the grilled cauliflower with pistachio sauce...would've licked the bowl. Curried squash in peanut sauce was outstanding. As was the cashew patty. Great for gluten free vegetarians!Special Features:
- good vegetarian selectionsannieVIPDined on 10/20/2014NO frills, good location downtown. Quiet and simple, multiple vegetarian options, well priced. Go there is you have to have inexpensive vegetarian tasty foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good vegetarianRedbegoniaDined on 10/11/2014We really enjoy the food here and our one negative is that the service is too fast. Our entrees came while we were still finishing our appetizers. That aleays feels rushed, and we had given ourselves time dor a leisurely dinner before our concert. Next time we will tell them we are not in a hurry and specifically ask them not to serve our dinner plate until we are ready. Other than that, the food is really delicious.Special Features:
- Good for a quick biteVeg1Dined on 9/27/2014Great veg menu; not a date restaurant. *Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014We visited Mi Lah early on a Saturday evening when the neighborhood bars were buzzing and the streets were full of shoppers. By the time we finished, the restaurant was completely full but still quiet due to well spaced-apart tables of two to four. We had a soup, and appetizer, a salad and a main dish. All were flavorful and satisfying, with portions on the generous side. The space is relatively unadorned but comfortable, and service was friendly, attentive and unpretentious. There was music coming from a speaker right above our heads - Katy Perry just didn't seem to fit the place - and our waiter was happy to turn it off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good hearty veggie foodtheoinpaDined on 8/30/2014I liked this place because they did not use "fake meat" products in my dishes, but the food still was very hearty and filling especially the Cashew sauce which sounded strange until I tasted it, it was just delicious and really hearty. The kale I had was the best kale I every tasted and I eat kale at least 1x a week!Special Features:
- Always fresh and tasty!!FancyVIPDined on 8/16/2014Mi Lah is my go to vegetarian restaurant in CC when I want excellent food at an extremely reasonable price and amazing flavors. I can't recommend the food more highly. The ambiance is quite simple and unmemorable. It's very clean and the staff is quite nice. But go the the tastes and the value!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weeknight placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Don't go on weekends as it is very quiet and doesn't feel like weekend at all! But, it is a flawless place in my opinion. The food is really good and unique and the staff are very polite.Special Features:
- Great food...okay serviceAmbaDined on 8/7/2014The food was really god, the service needs to improve. The restrooms could use a little cleaning and deodorizing. Price were on the higher end for a lunch during work but food was good so can't complain much.Special Features:
- very good early night vegfedeDined on 8/1/2014Service was very quick and polite. I really appreciated the food. They close very early (i.e. 22:30) Overall, recommended!
- Authentic VegetarianCaroleDined on 7/23/2014Very creative truly vegetarian cuisine. Not big on ambience but the food is wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placeyesse17Dined on 7/20/2014The offerings for food were varied which was nice and everything was well prepared. The staff is exceptionally nice and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Although only 2 of the 8 in our party were vegans we all enjoyed our meals very much. Great variety and creative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 308 reviews are from the Mi Lah Vegetarian BYOB reviews archive.
- Great ExperienceHappyDinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014We try to avoid oil in addition to animal products. The waiter & kitchen were really helpful with helping us to make choices that fit our dietary needs, and the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southphillyVIPDined on 6/25/2014The food here is terrific. It is small, quiet, and BYOB. Everyone should try this place, whether you are vegetarian or not.Special Features:
- Great for vegans, service poorVeganJaneDined on 6/21/2014The waiter kept bringing the next food course and plopping it on the table before we had finished eating the other course, as if they were trying to rush us out of there. Not good. Impolite thing to do.I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall good experiencevegfanDined on 6/14/2014The food was good, the French toast was a bit dry. Good food and good portions. Service was kind of slow and non-challant. I think vegans will be satisfied.Special Features:
- Great food!mollusqueDined on 6/14/2014We went to Mi Lah knowing it was vegetarian, but not realizing that the brunch menu that day was vegan. It didn't make a difference--the selections were wide and varied. My wife had a delicious Mexican dish, I had Indonesian breakfast, and our friends had two very different, excellent mushroom dishes. Our server knew about the ingredients and answered all our questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WnderfulmabethVIPDined on 6/13/2014For a non Vegetarian, this place was so very nice. Traveling with my Vegetarian cousin we chose this restaurant. I WOULD DEFINITELY RETURN ON MY OWN!! From the delicious butternut squash soup with coconut milk,to the delightful Mango salad, and my main course which was delicious and so much of it, I could not finish it, truly delicious and satisfying. I would not only recommend it but will go agAin next time I am in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One time vegan tryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/9/2014I decided to try Mi Lah after I couldn't get a reservation at Vedge, another nearby vegan restaurant. Yelp reviews indicated either hit or miss opportunity for various menu items and they were pretty much spot on. Indonesian rolls were crunchy and yummy but ravioli simply bland. My cauliflower steak wasn't really a steak but a horizontal slice of the vegetable. The saving grace for this dish with green curry. The deserts are decidingly non-creative (ice creams, sorbet, etc.) The place is tiny and the waiter was a bit pushy. This place is good in theory for a one time excursion into the world of creative vegan cooking but unfortunately it doesn't quite live up to the hype. I'd give it 2.5-3 out of 5.
- Nice alternativeEasy2pleaseDined on 5/30/2014Menu with lots if good twists on Asian favorites (pho, pad thai), and the African stew is phenomenal. I am not a vegetarian, but keep coming back for more. Chicks love the place, and foodie guys, too.Special Features:
- Yum!PhillyvegloverDined on 5/25/2014If you are looking for a great all-vegetarian brunch Mi Lah is the place to go. We are not vegetarians and we love this place. The menu choices are eclectic with an Asian-flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Asian Fusion VeganDustyDined on 5/24/2014This restaurant has a mostly Asian-inspired menu featuring 100% plant-based dishes. The food is delicious and the servers were attentive and helpful. I am the only vegan in our party of three but the non-vegans were just as enthusiastic about the food. This restaurant does not specialize in "recreating" non-vegan dishes with vegan-friendly ingredients. They specialize in creating dishes that highlight the unique qualities of their plant-based cuisine. I can't compare them to other restaurants because they are unique but if you like 100% plant-based food, if you are interested in finding a healthy and delicious meal, or if you are a foody looking for a new and unusual dining experience then you will enjoy this place.Special Features:
- For the vegan among youpickyeater32Dined on 5/24/2014This is a very simple restaurant, no atmosphere, small with an eager to please staff. I ordered the Mango Avocado salad which was good but a bit salty. For my second dish I ordered the grilled brussel sprouts with acorn squash and a some sort of potato pattie in lemon beurre blanc. It turned out to be way to many brusssel sprouts, very little acorn squash and no lemon. It was without any sort of flavor. My companions ordered different dishes which they liked although they commented that they thought that in the end it wasn't very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegan foodDelawareDined on 5/16/2014Most of us loved the vegan selections however, white rolls are not acceptable! My zucchini/seitan patty had no seitan and I do not eat white bread. The kale was tough. The appetizers were great as was the phyllo wrapped veggies.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014not a vegetarian but really enjoyed the food. My friends (the vegetarians) really liked it as well. Staff was attentive but the dining room was plain and sterile (cafeteria like).Special Features:
- Best Gravy Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014The food was really amazing vegan versions of brunch favorites. The biscuits and gravy were to die for! The food came fast and looked as good as it tasted. The server was very friendly and attentive. I will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- savory vegetarian foodplantluvingDined on 5/5/2014As a newly declared vegetarian I was delighted to have food that was savory fresh and infused with delicate spices and plated beautifully. I will tell my vegan friends about it. I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2014I took my administrative assistant who is not a vegan or vegetarian. She was a little nervous but discovered that she loved everything!! She had the butternut squash soup, spring rolls, pad thai and a cheesecake. The pot of green tea was just a plus! Service excellent.Special Features:
- Creative vegetarian foodLocalpatronVIPDined on 4/24/2014We brought a party of 20 and had a fun and tasty meal. The restaurant is simply decorated with wooden tables, and the 20 of us took up the entire downstairs; I think there were a couple of tables upstairs. The menu offers many unusual vegetarian and vegan options, and we agree with other reviewers that there is plenty to satisfy meat-eaters. Everyone enjoyed their food very much, and servings were very generous and prices were very reasonable. We would definitely go back next time we visit Philadelphia, and we all agreed that we would be regulars if Mi Lah were in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Mi LahTXAg82Dined on 4/10/2014Great lunch special. Soups were excellent. Quick service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a good restaurantCanuckDined on 4/5/2014This is a good restaurant for vegetarians/vegans. We had the Crispy Veggie Rolls as an appetizer and as entrees the African Peanut Stew and the Seitan/Mole/Portobello with Brussel Sprouts. Both dishes were flavourful. The servings were large and we took away some left overs from each entree. They do not serve any alcohol but you can bring your own if you wish. It is a short walk from Logan Square. We ate there on a Saturday evening and the place was about half full. Service was fast and cost was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet Little Vegetarian SpotUNFSocProfVIPDined on 4/5/2014I recommend this restaurant to vegetarian travelers or residents of Center City Philly. The restaurant in small, clean, and efficiently run. Despite the Vietnamese-sounding name, the menu actually features a range of global flavors. Each plate features a selection of individual items, each carefully prepared and individually seasoned. My companion and I both selected an "Indonesian plate" from the brunch menu. The standout item was the seitan-potato dish, flavored with something like a spicy peanut sauce. Extremely comforting. The small plate of fresh fruit that began our meal was a lovely touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great presentationBerkDined on 3/29/2014The food and the service was first class. Parking is conveniently close bySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Vegetarian BYOsmadvaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Went there with a party of 5 (3 sophisticated vegetarians) with no expectations. Was p[leased with the attentive staff, the candid recommendations, and the preparation and quality of the food. The ambiance is sparse--essentially bare--but the food variety more than made up for it. Everything was shared and we must have tried 12 dishes. None disappointed. the dumplings in particular (we sampled 3 kinds) were moist and delicious. We also especially enjoyed the cauliflower steak and the pad thai. Being a BYO was also a real plus. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingCathrineDined on 3/22/2014We took my mother in law to Mi lah for her birthday. She was the only vegetarian amongst us but we all equally loved the food. It was full of flavor and a pleasant surprise. Portion size and prices were reasonable. It's to bad that restaurant is hidden in the corner and doesn't look so inviting but the food will keep you coming back. I do agree with other reviewers, the service needs to be improved on but we did get one server that indulged us in a conversation an seemed more approachable and knowledgeable than our actual server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing vegetarian experienceakobre01Dined on 3/22/2014The food was really interesting and pretty good! It was a nice spot to go to catch up with friends and family: lit well, quiet, relaxed, not too expensive. We were allowed to sit in the restaurant after finishing for quite some time. Also, our server steered us towards his opinion of the best things on the menu. Most of his recommendations were really good! Make sure to try the palm sugar tofu appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best vegetarian foodSilverQueenVIPDined on 3/16/2014Tasty and interesting veg food. Good service. I have dined there many times for brunch, lunch, dinner. Non-veg people like it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenttavyDined on 3/14/2014I went with two foodies and a vegetarian who needs gluten free food, and we were all very happy with the food. We plan to return.Special Features:
- A better alternativeJayemelDined on 3/6/2014Generous portions of delicious and beautifully presented vegetarian fare more than make up for the lesser ambiance compared to it's more hyped and higher priced neighborhood competition. Despite an almost full house, the service was both gracious and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.