Mi Cocina Chevy Chase
5471 Wisconsin Ave.
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Mi Cocina Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.micocinarestaurants.com/
- Phone: 3016521195x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mi Cocina Chevy Chase
Welcome to Mi Cocina where everything we offer is hand-crafted and made fresh daily using authentic Mexican cooking techniques and the fines ingredients available. From our famous homemade salsa, to our mouthwatering hand-dipped enchiladas, you can taste the freshness and quality in every bite. Relax in our comfortable stylish surroundings with one of our legendary Mambo Taxis® served by our family of warm friendly and professional staff. Its our honor to serve you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mi Cocina Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (28)kid-friendly (26)great for lunch (25)vibrant bar scene (21)fit for foodies (19)special occasion (18)hot spot (11)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Trendy Mexican at Mi CocinaMSE1210VIPDined on 8/31/2014We did a family dinner with our children to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was the Sunday night of Labor Day weekend, and we thought the restaurant might be empty. But there was a healthy buzz at Mi Cocina with lots of people enjoying fantastic margaritas and creative Tex-Mex dishes. We started with fresh delicious guacamole. Our children shared an adult portion of Chicken Fajitas. My wife had Chicken Tacos with salad known as Mama's Tacos. I went with Tacos Habana, which is a creative and flavorful chicken dish. It was awesome! Service was excellent. We had a total blast. Many thanks to all!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014We had lunch. We requested Tamales but they were not making them anymore except for pork tamales which did not work for one of the parties. Food was good and plentiful. The desert menu was reduced to Flan, which was good.Special Features:
- eh...ohboyVIPDined on 8/16/2014nothing special - couldn't get a table outside, so we ended up inside and there's no ambiance inside, plus it was freezing cold inside. Nothing wrong with our meals, but they were nothing special - only the brisket fajita was worth going back for... but I probably won't...
- Outdoor Drinks with FriendsBCCExploreDined on 8/14/2014Mi Cocina is a welcome addition to the neighborhood. Meet friends for drinks and sit outside to enjoy a margarita and some Tex Mex. The service is attentive and focused. The food is not spectacular but is nicely presented and above average. The real draw of Mi Cocina is its easy location--a few steps from the metro and outdoor seating.Special Features:
- DeliciousRosieVIPDined on 8/8/2014This is my second visit and the food continues to be consistently delicious. I had the brisket tacos which are tender, flavorful, and awesome! I also enjoyed a tropical mojito. My boyfriend enjoyed his fajita dish. The waitstaff are great and the decor is nice. The only hiccup is that the bathroom sinks in the women's room weren't working well, hopefully that will get fixed. Look forward to returning!Special Features:
- Superb night on Mi Cocina PatioMSE1210VIPDined on 8/6/2014I met up with two good friends at Mi Cocina. It was a gorgeous summer night, and we enjoyed sitting on the lovely outdoor patio. Service was excellent. I had the Mambo Taxi margarita, which is a must try. My buddies went with the traditional rocks margarita and the Mojito. We started with some guacamole and the Queso Blanco, which were great with our chips. I had the fantastic chicken dish known as Tacos Habana, which is a unique Mi Cocina dish. One friend had the Tacos Mi Tierra -- the spicy beef "street tacos", and he loved them. My other buddy had Sunset Enchiladas, which means they are covered in a spicy queso sauce. We had the best time! The manager stopped by to make sure we were having a great experience, and we were. Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch Tex-Mex at Mi CocinaMSE1210VIPDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I met our dear friends to introduce them to Mi Cocina. We sat in a light and bright room with tall ceilings and glass all around us. It is a very upbeat cheery space. Our friends loved the margaritas. They enjoyed the unique flavor of the salsa to go with the chips. We ordered some fresh guacamole and the Queso Blanco, and they enjoyed those flavors as well. Service was excellent. Manager and the server were eager to answer any questions our "first timer" friends might have about the menu. Our friends loved their Mi Cocina experience, and tell us they are looking forward to going back. We all had a blast! Many thanks!Special Features:
- Phenomenal Family Dinner at Mi Co!MSE1210VIPDined on 8/2/2014It was our first Saturday after family vacation, and we all wanted to go to Mi Cocina. We were warmly welcomed by General Manager Max, and his team of hostesses, servers, and managers working that evening. My wife and I had Mambo Taxi margaritas, which are superb. She went with the Mama's Tacos. I had the spicy and delicious Tacos Mi Tierra “Street-Style”- Soft Corn Tortillas Topped with Diced, Grilled Fajita Beef Serranos and Onions, Served with Guacamole and Pico De Gallo. Our kids split an adult order of classic Chicken Fajitas. Service was excellent. We had a total blast! We cannot wait to go back as a family... or with our adult friends.Special Features:
- Real tex-mexLonghorn72Dined on 8/2/2014Great food and service with real legitimate Tex-mex. They have always been very accommodating to our kids as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014Food was okay, great gaucomole, so-so salsa, not great service. Great location but just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Tex MexgivlcaeDined on 7/20/2014Good tex-mex food isn't one of the DC area's specialties. Mi Cocina has a solid menu that's somewhat reasonably priced. The food we ordered was great and came in generous portions, as tex-mex should. My only complaint is that it took about 12 minutes after we were seated for the waiter to appear (the restaurant was not crowded at all), which I suppose can be chalked up to a failure to communicate between the hostess and the waiting staff. He was attentive and courteous once he was there.Special Features:
- Wow, Shockingly BadOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014Was super excited to try this restaurant after friends from Dallas raved...It sucked! Sorry to say, but no one in our party was pleased with his or her order. What a disappointment.
- Upscale MexicanDCDinerVIPDined on 7/14/2014Great meal this time. #4 dinner entree is nice combination of Mexican favorites--fresh and expertly prepared. Waiter was extremely accommodating in customizing dinner for dining companion who had food restrictions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big FansSouthernDinerVIPDined on 7/13/2014They consistently deliver great food and service. We have enjoyed every visit. If available, don't miss the bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer!Special Features:
- Mi Cocina rocked 4th of JulyMSE1210VIPDined on 7/4/2014Before going as a family for fireworks, we had a July 4th feast at Mi Cocina! The weather was pleasant, so a number of people took advantage of the outdoor dining. We sat inside with the grownups enjoying the signature Mambo Taxi margaritas. We had some tasty Queso Blanco to go with the chips and salsa. My wife had the delicious Mama's Tacos with beef. I had Tacos Habana, which is a signature chicken dish. Our children split the adult Chicken Fajitas. It was awesome! We had the best time. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mi Co Margs AWESOME on a HOT dayMSE1210VIPDined on 7/2/2014I met a buddy at Mi Cocina in Chevy Chase after a hot and sticky July day at work. My friend had the refreshing Cucumber Margarita, which he absolutely loved. I went with my beloved Mambo Taxi, which is so fantastic and really hits the spot. My friend had the Tacos Habana - Chicken Breast marinated in Chili Adobo served in three Warm Corn Tortillas with Cilantro, Onions and Pica-Pica, which he thought were phenomenal. I had Tacos Mi Tierra “Street Style” – Soft Corn Tortillas Topped with Grilled Fajita Beef, Serranos and Onions served with Guacamole and Pico de Gallo. We had the best time! Service was excellent. Food and drinks were superb. Parking is incredibly easy and cheap with validation. I cannot wait to go back. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Smile Policy?PotomacFoodyVIPDined on 7/2/2014From the minute we walked in to the moment we left, there was not a single smile. Service was abhorrent, had to ask several times just for a high chair, for water until it finally came. Really an awful experience, most kid unfriendly.
- Disappointing Dining ExperienceSmittyRayVIPDined on 6/30/2014I have dined at Mi Cocina many time since its opening and sadly both the food and service continue to decline. Waited over 15 minutes to be asked for our drink order and then waited another 15 to receive them. Had to track down the wait staff just to ask for water and refills of water. Jumbo shrimp was embarrassingly small, cheese enchiladas cold, fajitas very little taste.....overall not good. Not sure I will return.
- PattyOVIPDined on 6/29/2014This is my favorite Mexican restaurant in the DC area. Originally from Southern California, I loved Cal-Mex (Tex-Mex) food and ate it frequently. It is in this type of Mexican restaurant that the quality needed to improve in this area. It is the closest to those that I considered the best in SoCal. The Brisket Quesadillas are out of this world, as are many other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, Attentive, BoringsundogDined on 6/28/2014Great space, attentive service, but food was only mediocre and bland for Mexican. Fish tacos were best of 4 items ordered at our table, other dishes lacked interest, spice. Seems like a good place for people who find most Mexican food too spicy, like my aunts from Ohio.Special Features:
- Floor sweeperniknakDined on 6/21/2014We were seated in a part of the restaurant where there were toddlers, and apparently, the staff kept coming through with floor sweepers...not very appetizing. Seating in the main dining room is much nicer, or on the patio. Fish tacos not as good as the first time we were there. Tilapia a tad dry...just not as enjoyable as our first visit.Special Features:
- Father's Day at Mi CocinaMSE1210VIPDined on 6/15/2014After an action-packed Father's Day with family, my wife, children, and I went for an early dinner at Mi Cocina. We sat outside on a gorgeous evening. We started with the fresh delicious guacamole. Our kids love the Chicken Fajitas. My wife and I had the spicy Street Tacos, and the Brisket Tacos. We decided to share them, so we could both enjoy two great dishes. Server Kira and the management team took great care of us. They were all eager to please, and did a great job. This dinner was the perfect ending to a fantastic Father's Day. We are most grateful, and we look forward to doing many special occasions at Mi Cocina in the years to come.Special Features:
- OKSandyDined on 6/15/2014Liked it better the last time. This time the server was not as helpful and my husband had some indigestion after eating the fajitas.
- Great Friends dinner at Mi CocinaMSE1210VIPDined on 6/14/2014We met up with two other couples for a fantastic evening at Mi Cocina. We started at the bar with margaritas, and watched the end of one of the World Cup matches. Then when it was time for food, we began with some nachos with delicious Fajita meat on them. We also had some fresh and tasty Ceviche. We ordered a variety of entrees including the incredible Brisket Tacos, and the margaritas continued flowing. We sat outside on a gorgeous June night. It was perfect! Thank you all very much. We will see you again soon.Special Features:
- Good food but service?bbg1776VIPDined on 6/13/2014This is the second visit. In both cases the service was slow and the staff often forgets requests. The food makes up for it. Don't go if you're in a hurry for a quick lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Airy Tex MexRn123Dined on 6/5/2014For lunch, three os us ordered two types of salads the quincenera and the rico. You can order salads with additional proteins (as the waiter referred to the chicken or shrimp that can be added if desired). The salad portions were just right, not as huge as some other restaurants. The inevitable nachos and salsa were good but not notable. The setting was bright and light nut a tad loud.Special Features:
- Mi Cocina Mambo Taxi-> MUST TRYMSE1210VIPDined on 6/3/2014A friend and I had a killer dinner at Mi Cocina! Chips, salsa, and queso blanco got us started. I went with the Mambo Taxi margarita, which is phenomenal particularly after a long hot Washington, DC day. I had the Brisket Tacos, which melted in my mouth. My friend went with the Chicken Fajitas. We had a great experience. Service was excellent. They let us talk, but also had the instinct to approach us at just the right time for more drinks, more chips, and ordering the next course. Well done! I highly recommend. Mi Cocina is superb upscale Mexican, and they treated us like family. It was my friend's first experience. He says he's definitely going back. I already have!Special Features:
- Delish tacos!Dc4foodieVIPDined on 5/27/2014I would highly recommend the fish, shrimp or brisket tacos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrifically tasty food &cocktailsninaDined on 5/26/2014We had a great dinner on the patio the other evening - the weather was perfect, and the food is so good. Although not cheap, it is priced reasonably, given its location. All in all a good find for us.Special Features:
- Good food, bad service. Dios mio!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/26/2014The food was great, but unfortunately the service was atrocious. We were seated for 15 minutes before a drink order was taken. We ordered good at same time. 55 minutes later our food arrived. And mine was ceviche...it isn't even cooked. Really too bad because it probably won't make it
- better than expectedFoodloveVIPDined on 5/26/2014Have been meaning to check this place out since it opened - family in Texas enjoys the one down there. Friends here mentioned being underwhelmed by their experiences, so I went in with an open mind and bar not set very high. The patio is nice, not directly on Wisconsin Avenue, so no traffic noise and an interesting fountain to look at. Popular with families with young children running in and out of fountain in warm weather, then running back and forth to their tables, so if rug rats are not your thing, eat inside. We thought the food was quite good, if a bit spicy, but we like that. We had chicken enchiladas, a salad, soup, ceviche, and tamales. Chips were hot and crispy. Margaritas were fairly strong and large, so good value:) We'll returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Verging on very goodGeorgedoorsVIPDined on 5/26/2014This part of town isn't the most vibrant and the restaurant suffers from a slightly sterile feeling/empty feeling. But you can feel there is some real passion in the kitchen which is it's saving grace. Starters were average - guacamole that was just ok (when Rosa Mexicana does amazing fresh guac at the table just two blocks away) and curiously flavourless ceviche. Frozen Margharitas good, regular ones watery (again, better @ Rosa M which takes it's tequila seriously). The restaurant's saving grace was it's entrees - which were better than at any other Mexican rest. I would return but Mi Cocina needs to up its game in a competitive market - more effort, more atmosphere, more attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceAmicuisineVIPDined on 5/25/2014Except for the Guacamole, the food was mediocre. The service was very slow and sloppy. The manager tried to be helpful but overall a poor experience.
- Gourmet Mexican at Mi CocinaMSE1210VIPDined on 5/25/2014We wanted to keep the fun going on Memorial Day weekend, so we went to Mi Cocina for an early dinner on Sunday evening. Since the weather was SPECTACULAR, we were hoping to sit outside. But a lot of other people had the same bright idea, so we sat at a great table indoors. The Mambo Taxi margaritas hit the spot on a warm sunny day. The fresh guacamole was phenomenal. My wife had the Mama's Tacos, which she loved. I had the Tacos Habana, which is a uniquely Mi Cocina dish and is fantastic. Our children had Chicken Fajitas, and they loved them. Service was outstanding. Next time, we will plan more strategically to get an outside table. It was just a matter of timing, but we still had a superb dinner. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better in DallasImagegurl1Dined on 5/21/2014Awful. Bartender actually left and mgr took over. Kind of service where u r trying to get any waitperson's attention. My order was wrong and I waited for new entree. Brisquet dry and boring. Loud. Loud.Special Features:
- Good foodNatashaDined on 5/20/2014Great food. But wish the meat portions for the fajita were a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodbuffDined on 5/18/2014Chain food. Complementary over-spiced salsa:You pay extra if you prefer something more refined. That announcement from our waitress set the tone for the evening: Mi Cocina expects customers to adapt to its sense of priority, timing and preference. Drink orders took forever to be fulfilled. 30 minute wait for appetizers to arrive. The busboy was more attentive than the waitress. The prices are no bargain. And the restaurant does not fully comp the parking charge. All told, one does better at locally owned Tex-Mex restaurants in Tenley Town.Special Features:
- very dissapointing foodInnayisVIPDined on 5/17/2014When it comes to the food quality the fajitas were cold and completely flat. Unfortunately no improvement at all since the last time we visited. The ambiance is very nice, the speakers very loud, and the service was OK although our server forgot to bring a milder sauce requested by one of the members of our group of 4.
- Gourmet Mexican on the PatioMSE1210VIPDined on 5/17/2014My family and I went to our favorite place Mi Cocina on Saturday night. After a brutal winter, the weather is finally pretty enough to sit outside. So we were able to enjoy the best of both worlds: chips & salsa, fantastic margaritas, fajitas, tacos, great service, and the ability to sit outside and enjoy a beautiful evening in Chevy Chase. It was perfect. The man in charge of the restaurant Max made sure all of us sitting outside were getting famous Mi Cocina service. Server Michael did a phenomenal job of making sure we had chips, salsa, beverages, and when we wanted to order the next course. It was a PERFECT night! We love eating inside at Mi Cocina. But now with the great weather, we're excited for the outdoor option as well. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Latin foodChatterboxx1969VIPDined on 5/16/2014This was my second time dining at Mi Cocina, and I enjoyed it more this time. I appreciated that they had several gluten free menu items. And the cocktails are pretty good.I would recommend this to a friend.