MH Fish House
670 Bank Lane
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
MH Fish House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mhfishhouse.com/
- Phone: 847-234-8802x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Michael Tsonton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Abby Schaubel (847)644-8872x
A word from MH Fish House
MH Fish House is dedicated to serving the freshest seafood, oysters and shellfish with unique preparations. Located equal distances from all three coasts, Chicago offers diners access to a wide variety of fresh seafood. Few places in the country can offer Atlantic Cod, Pacific Salmon, Hawaiian Hamachi and Gulf Shrimp on the same menu. And the opportunity to sample east and west coast oysters in one evening is very rare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
MH Fish House - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
MH Fish House reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (33)romantic (27)notable wine list (23)great for outdoor dining (20)scenic view (9)hot spot (8)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- KakiDined on 10/18/2014As always, Fish House was fantastic. We sat on the glass-enclosed balcony overlooking Market Square in downtown Lake Forest. Magical. Service was professional, food was outstanding. It's expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Fish HouseLikeFood2312Dined on 10/10/2014Overall dining experience was excellent. We came in the wrong door at the Market House as the Fish House entrance was not well marked or lit. We walked right by it. Market House staff happily showed us the way to Fish House through the back stairs and kitchen. Kinda cool. Food was great but expected a bigger selection of fish. Having a grilled option for fish preparation was welcome. Wine selection was good and we enjoyed a bottle. Our server Lauren was very courteous, knowledgable and prompt. We will definitely return on our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZusmanVIPDined on 10/4/2014The menu is quite limited therefore each item should be outstanding and it was not. Both dishes that my husband and I ordered were bland and very mediocre. While the ingredients were exciting the flavor fell short. Awfully expensive for mediocre food.
- Keeps getting better!foodieVIPDined on 10/4/2014We love this resturant and it keeps getting better. The new menu is fantastic! We started with a couple small plates, make sure you try the Scallops with hearts of palm and then we shared the surf and turf... bone in Rib Eye with Lobster Thermidor. The manager Dave recommend great wine. Thank you MH Fish House!Special Features:
- The perfect Saturday night!HollywoodVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had such a wonderful experience!! From the warm and professional welcome our service team gave us, to the magnificent cocktails and food...It was all such a treat. Do not miss the oyster offerings--we had several from both coasts with the mignonette--we could have made a meal just of these! The place simply oozes fresh, salty air and we cannot wait to go back! The owner has done a marvelous turn with MH Fish House...nothing but kudos!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Dinneraes10611Dined on 10/4/2014We came into MH Fish with 4 of our friends. It was 3 of our birthdays and they made it so special! The food was outstanding and the service was perfect. We took our time and didn't feel rushed. The manager, Dave, talked to us a few times and he was so nice! We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Night LetdownRayCVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food was great. Service was horrible. Waitress ignored us for 10 min waiting for our first drink. Walked right past us to pour water for another couple. She forgot our appetizer. Our food took forever to be served even though it wasn't busy at 9PM. When the food came it was luke warm. I requested a special attention for girlfriends birthday and it was completely ignored until I complained. A very special night was certainly not so special due to the terrible service. Martinis were not evenly poured. Sea bass dish was tasty as was the halibut. Very disappointed in this restaurants level of service. Manager never came over to apologize for mistake in the birthday request but they did comp a $8 yogurt cheesecake. Honestly, Big Deal!Special Features:
- Someone was sleepingLunchedVIPDined on 9/20/2014We have been many times bit this time it was a disappointment Under cooked potatoes, allergy situation not addressed properly Server too many tables Manager MIASpecial Features:
- Best fish ever!lovechicagofoodDined on 9/20/2014We loved the food, service and atmosphere. Though the cost is on the higher side, it was well worth every penny! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality Seafood in Lake ForestNuvonicDiningDined on 9/20/2014We were quite happy with our meals at the relatively new MH Fish House in Lake Forest. Our swordfish and scallops were excellent. Desserts were average. Go somewhere else for dessert. Ambience was good - about as lively as fine dining on a Saturday night in Lake Forest is going to get. Enclosed dining balcony over Bank Lake is a good feature in fair weather.Special Features:
- Another 5 stars!AbbyVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went to MH fish over the weekend with a seafood-loving friend visiting from LA. He was a little hesitant going out to a seafood restaurant in the suburbs of Chicago, but he quickly changed his mind and was very, very impressed. The new menu has a lot to offer and all the entrees are available by the full or half portion. The half portions are great because it allowed us to be playful and try a bunch of new things together. Highlights were the tuna carpaccio, lobster risotto (!!!) and clam linguini. Continue to be impressed with this neighborhood gem, keep it up!!Special Features:
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2014Food was very good (Sea Bass was outstanding), service was excellent, ambiance was nice. Wine list was somewhat thin but was packed with my favorites; I was pleasantly surprised by how many upper end wines they had by the glass and by the moderate wine prices. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014I took a date out to the MH Fish House and definitely blew her away with my selection for a romantic dinner. We were greeted by the manager David and few other staff members right as we entered. The mood was relaxed but professional. We ate a four course dinner and shared most of the entrees. The chef even sent out a few treats at the beginning of the night and the end. The preparation of each dish was unique in flavor and style. The favorites were the Lobster Risotto and the Seared Ahi Tuna. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentCentralOtago4VIPDined on 9/6/2014We have been visiting MH Fish House now for almost a year and never had a bad experience. The food is consistently good,very nice wine list and the service is fit for an upscale restaurant. Some of our favorite dishes are the Octopus, Ceviche and Bouillabaisse. What is particularly appealing is the fact that most salads and main courses are available also as half sizes. The menu does change frequently and the kitchen has shown a lot of flexibility accommodating special requests. Our favorite spot is the balcony , the best on a warm summer night but also enjoyable on cooler nights due to built in heaters in the ceiling. The Chicago area offers a lot of fine dining choices and MH Fish House is right up there with some of the best.Special Features:
- interesting menu and great servicenorthshoredinerDined on 9/3/2014Outstanding in all ways. The food was fabulous and exceeded our expectations. Everything we tasted was so fresh and beautifully prepared. Our server knew both the wine and food menu and was able to guide us to the most delicous oysters, entrees and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- northofthebrdrDined on 8/29/2014Tuna tartar appetizer was outstanding as was the grilled scallops entrée. Also liked the option of choosing smaller entrée offerings allowing the diner(s) to try multiple dishes. All in all a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- ExcellentfoodieVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved our dinner at MH Fish. There were four of us and we had fun ordering small dishes to share to start. The scallop small plate was amazing as well as the tuna carpaccio. For our meat loving guest, he said the Bone in Rib Eye was the best. We will be back.Special Features:
- LIpizzan1Dined on 8/21/2014MH Fish House does it again! With a new menu and added flavor, with a great wine selection and a superb staff, I felt like the princess I am. And that is not an easy task. Loved the ceviche. Chilled yogurt and cucumber soup is a great addition. Lobster risotto is the bomb! As for the veggies….do not miss the brussels sprouts as a side. My adorable cousin went for the seafood tostada, and didn't speak until she had finished her plate. My suggestion……get in and enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014This restaurant has rolled out a new menu recently and I can honestly say it was one of my favorite dining experiences in a long time. Most items are available by the half order so we were able to sample a lot and loved everything. Make sure you try the seafood tostadas, linguini and calm sauce, scallop appetizer with hearts of palms and the tuna carpaccio. We can't wait to go back and try more. Our only disappointment was the dinner roll. Excellent service and a night to remember. Thank you!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Lake Forest areaCentralOtago4VIPDined on 8/16/2014Another fantastic dinner at our favorite restaurant. The new menu is exciting and and offers something for everybody. Having the choice of a full or half portion works very well for those of us who prefer smaller serving sizes or just simply would like to try more than one or two dishes. Service was impeccable and the wine list outstanding. While we also enjoy sitting inside , nothing comes close to dining outside on the balcony on a warm night. Should it get chilly, there are built in heaters in the ceiling. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great Place for businessInterviewdinnerVIPDined on 8/13/2014I love this place and come often, Great Food, Great Service and the noise level for a business meeting dinner or just a romantic dinner for my wife and I is outstanding. There is a new menu we tried and they have continued the great food they always have. I will be back.Special Features:
- philVIPDined on 8/7/2014food and service very good. a little expensive for the neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:
- Ole2Dined on 8/5/2014Good food only surpassed by great service. The wine list was excellent.Special Features:
- ILFoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Always good service and delicious food. Dependable find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OVERPRICEDHisharelVIPDined on 7/19/2014I This restaurant is pretty, romantic and small. Dining is all upstairs and indoors. We all found the prices on both wine and food offensive. Everything is a la carte, portions on everything including dessert is SMALL. 3 scallops were $33 ala carte. A piece of fish $38. Salads are $12-15. a glass of wine starts at $15. Tiny desserts. There is nothing to bring us back here, even though the food has nice presentation. Considering the restaurant small. We had to ask twice for a bread basket after sitting over a half hour and staring at the butter. The service did not match the pricing. The food is delicious but a meal without liquor is $200 a couple without drinks.Special Features:
- MH Among the BestFooddocVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our anniversary celebration at MH Fish House was wonderful. The mention on Open Table had the entire staff wishing us congratulations, and culminated in complimentary champagne and dessert! But the meal really made it special. Starting with a unique Penobscot Bay clam chowder and a no-filler crab cake, the best was to come! My special of Lobster Thermidor was prepared to perfection, as was my wife's swordfish: prepared in olive oil, fresh and delicious. Wines were reasonable and varied. Our main server, Scott was fantastic. Friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. We had visits from David the GM, who was so gracious. and had interesting chats about the restaurant's history. It is clearly among the top seafood reastaurants in all Chicagoland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful EveningJodiDined on 7/11/2014We requested a table on the balcony for a beautiful outdoor evening. The bar is small (maybe fits 6 people -tops!) but the bartender and Manager were so friendly that it made up for the tight space. The food is delicious and simply prepared. The drinks are well poured and service is top notch. My only ding is it a little pricey for what you get. Yes, the fish was very good, salad excellent but could be a tad less expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Crab Cakes Everlynndee1Dined on 7/10/2014The crab cake was the best I ever had, and I have eaten plenty. The crab itself was very flavorful, and the flavor was enhanced by the herbs, not overwhelmed. Lots of crabmeat, low on breading, as it should be. Swordfish was done to perfection and extra flavorful as it was grilled. Good choices! Hats off to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyVIPDined on 6/20/2014i like the restaurant, the atmosphere, and the food was good, but the prices are too high. i likely won't return for that reason.
- The following 275 reviews are from the MH Fish House reviews archive.
- Fantastic experienceDiner2Dined on 6/17/2014We recently dined here for our anniversary. Our waiter, Scott, was so attentive and helpful with food selection and wine. I ordered the Haddock which was perfectly cooked melt in your mouth. The whole experience was wonderful and a night to remember.Special Features:
- FH fails to create enjoyable expDinerDined on 6/7/2014They served us the octopus burnt. The waiter asked us if we were enjoying the good and specifically asked about the octopus. When I told him it was burnt, he argued with me and then left for twenty minutes only to return and take out plates away. They also charged for the octopus at the end. Besides the poor service, the food is utterly unremarkable in every way. FH is another example of an average restaurant with a fine dining facade.
- Balcony noisy but great viewHelloisanyoneinthereDined on 5/31/2014We sat on the balcony. At this time of year it is enclosed with Plexiglas, but will soon be screened in for the summer season. The area is noisy but the views were great. It is located right off of the square in downtown Lake Forest. There was ample parking in nearby city lots. The lobster risotto was fantastic. The chef sent out a special seafood blended taster on spoons for the table as well as little lemon cookies after diner which enhanced the meal. The rolls were hard shelled but warm. The fish was prepared well, people enjoyed the swordfish and cod. The Japanese Bouillabaisse started with a great base of assorted seafood but the broth was not piping hot and was oddly spiced, I would not recommend that dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful food in beautiful roombikemomVIPDined on 5/30/2014This is the first time I was moved to write an Open Table review. This was our second visit to MH Fish House and we loved everything about it. Sitting on the porch overlooking the street. The perfectly mixed mojito. The unexpected treats of an amuse bouche before our meal and a plate of cookies when we were still sitting 30 minutes after our meal. The attentive, knowledgeable staff. Of course the star of the night was the food. I would recommend MH Fish House to anyone looking for a dinner experience. Market House, where we ate the next night, is equally as good with a more casual atmosphere and menu.Special Features:
- Very loud & very slow.nickDined on 5/10/2014The food is superb but the atmosphere is "No Go". We were there on a Saturday night--it was so loud normal conversation was impossible. The waiters were constantly in motion--but the kitchen was so slow we spent most of our time shouting to each other at an empty table.
- Staff AttitudeBogeyDined on 5/10/2014Though everything is just excellent about the restaurant, that which brings it all together is the terrific attitude, friendliness and professionalism of the staff ... from the GM all the way to wait staff.Special Features:
- Awesome eatsVerydisappointedVIPDined on 5/2/2014The scallops are fabulous! Wedge is too! Ask for balcony tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experiencecarefuldinerDined on 4/26/2014We took friends here on a Saturday evening to celebrate a special occasion. It was our first visit and it certainly won't be our last - everything was delicious and the atmosphere was fun and upscale without being stuffy. Our guests, who are used to going downtown for "special" dining, were very impressed and plan to come back.Special Features:
- Outstanding!happydinerVIPDined on 4/11/2014Fresh PEI oysters and real Dover sole prepared table side. Always a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lots of positivesNewToIllinoisDined on 4/8/2014Fun location over looking the square, great ambiance. great selection of wines and helpful feedback on preferences from wait-staff. Professional and attentive wait-staff, but not overly so. My wife and i both enjoyed the lobster risotto. I enjoyed the striped bass more than she did, as she thought it was a bit dry. The cioppino portion was large and we enjoyed the seafood paste that was prepared. personally, the sauce was not spicy enough for me. the desserts were divine and the lattes and cappucinos would rival the most experienced baristas. Based on the reviews, i expected it to be exceptional, and it was not, but it was very enjoyable and i will most definitely give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ChefCLO50VIPDined on 3/22/2014With the recently acquired new chef, we were totally surprised to have the best meal in this restaurant we have ever had. The prior food was quite good, but this new guy has lifted the level totally. Although we enjoyed the food in the past, the new guard promises much more. Great place!Special Features: