4519 Fleur Dr.
Des Moines, IA 50321Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mezzodis.com/
- Phone: (515) 287-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mezzodi's has been the standard in Des Moines dining for over 10 years. Our private room is the perfect site for anniversaries, birthday celebrations, rehearsal dinners, and holiday parties.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Campero 8775788189
A word from Mezzodi's
Join us for great food, wine, and drinks while enjoying the company of your many south side friends and neighbors.Continued
Eat drink and be Mezzodi’s.
Eat drink and be Mezzodi’s.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mezzodi's - Best Restaurants in Downtown Des Moines ›
Mezzodi's reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (6)fit for foodies (5)special occasion (5)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- The food was great butiowa777Dined on 11/15/2014The food was wonderful but there were a lot of issues with the wait staff and getting the correct food that was ordered throughout the meal, including drinks.
- Great ServicewineloverDined on 11/8/2014We made reservations and arrived 5 minutes before our time. We were seated after a short wait but the tables they had pushed together for our party of 5 were uneven. The food was ok, but nothing to go back for. The service was excellent. Wait staff had a great attitude, was prompt with getting order filled and drinks ordered - she made it worth going back for another try. Next time would order a sandwich and salad - the ceasar salad was good but the scallops were mushy and underdone - balsamic glaze was watery.Special Features:
- Parker29Dined on 10/25/2014Service was poor. The server didn't write down our orders and had to come back to find out what I'd ordered. My wife's burger was tasteless. Never again.
- RjbcDined on 10/25/2014Average food overall. The exception would be to do the 'create your own pasta'. Wine list is very light. Our menus were stained and sticky. Not a good first impression. I felt like I was in a Denny's with the decor. The service was excellent and food came out timely. Large servings. I would not recommend this to my friends.Special Features:
- Family in town for dinnerKCWillieDined on 10/18/2014Our out of state children came to visit and wanted to go to a Des Moines restaurant, not a chain. Mezzodi's was the natural choice. Good food, top level servers and a wine I really like. Plus the price is reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014It was great! We had a big group, and the waiter did great taking care of all of us.Special Features:
- Great for a post movie snackSusieDined on 8/21/2014Nine of us stopped by for a drink and light meal after a movie. Our waiter was efficient and the appetizers were delicious. It was late and most patrons had left. However, we were made to feel welcome and encouraged to stay as long as we liked.Special Features:
- Not the Mezzodi's We Rememberthunderblue22Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had our first date at Mezzodi's in 2005. The ambiance warm, staff very accommodating, and the food, spectacular! It was such a wonderful place we had our wedding rehearsal dinner there. We hadn't been in a couple years and decided to take our friends last week. The hostess was pleasant but dressed very casual The decor was unchanged (except the addition of a patio), but the menus were weathered a bit and selections limited. Two of our favorites (Boursin Stuffed Mushrooms and Smoked Chicken Orecchiette) were no longer available. We ordered Steak De Burgo which had always be so good before, this time it was just okay. Our expectations for the price was based on previous visits. The value was not there this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service-BjanemcgVIPDined on 8/9/2014Food is good. I drank the Crusher pinot noir, inexpensive and very good. I ordered a pizza -very good and so much I took most of it home. My husband had lasagne and it was also tasty. The bread was GREAT!! We often judge restaurants on their bread - seems that good bread would be an easy feat, but it is not for most restaurants. Mezzodi's gives you two types - focaccia and a some that is almost a French/Italian mix - and they are BOTH WONDERFUL - served with read butter (of course). I live in Maryland, but I would go back when in town. The waitress was perfect. Great location - near DSM airport- very near a Hy Vee where I went immediately afterword and bought a bottle of Crusher :)Special Features:
- The following 136 reviews are from the Mezzodi's reviews archive.
- Nice before- movie restaurantjamboree3Dined on 6/24/2014We had a great meal before heading to the movie. The smoked chicken penne was really delicious.Special Features:
- Not DisappointedlovelouisDined on 6/15/2014Went to Mezzodi's to celebrate a birthday and father's day. Food was great and kid friendly (had 4 kids in tow). Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014We were very impressed with the service we received and how accommodating the staff was with our party of ten. We had the private room and they set it up perfectly on very short notice. Very friendly staff. Food was great. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadAlexanna91Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day, the server seemed a little distracted and unorganized, but the food was good. It seemed as though our server would take drink orders from part of out table, run to another table and take their orders, then come back for the rest of our drinks after half of us already got what we ordered, and it wasn't even busy yet. I would go back for sure I know service has been better there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor servicex4FTRxSHADYxDined on 5/10/2014we had lemonade and we were not aware of no free refills, but the waitress kept bringing then so we ended up paying for 3 and then when we asked about it they had attitude about it so we just paid for it.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014The restaurant accommodated a business dinner for four people at a table with reduced noise level so that conversation was convenient and productive. Attention from wait staff was efficient and attentive without being too frequent. Food was served hot, well prepared, well presented. We enjoyed the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2014Our server was very attendant to our needs and the food was one of the hidden gems in Des Moines as I have been to almost all of the restaurants town and would defiantly return here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairSparky515Dined on 4/18/2014We like to support local restaurants. Food was decent but we had to wait way too long for service. The server was busy, and this part was understandable. What was not understandable was why the hostess seemed never to even look our way once she had sat us. Her concern was getting tables bussed, not whether we had bread, water, or attention. Again: not really the server's fault. When servers are busy, hostesses should step it up. It was a staff of people just doing their job, not really going that extra mile that makes people want to go back. We aren't royalty. We just want basic hospitality rather than people just going through the motions.Special Features:
- Good food, need better servicescthawkiDined on 3/29/2014The food was amazing, but the service needs improved. Our server was wonderful, just had too many tables. We waited 10+ minutes after being seated to place our drink order. Since we didn't know how soon we'd see the server again, we went ahead and ordered and appetizer and our meals. Food was delicious, as always.Special Features:
- Good foodKevinDined on 3/29/2014We are regular patrons on Mezzodi's and have always enjoyed our meals there. It is conveniently close to one of our favorite theaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceKarenaDined on 3/19/2014My family of four celebrated our youngest 18th birthday. We were given a table in the center area so it was quieter than the front area. We had a blast with our waitress. She was energetic and joked along with us. We like to have fun and the staff was great. Our food was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stick to the pastaout2lunchDined on 3/19/2014I've been to Mezzodi's, for lunch, we had sandwiches and soup were incredible, especially the Tomato Bisque. The Chicken Picata which was outstanding. This time we ordered Italian Pork Chops, Italian Chicken and a Bolognaise pasta. No one enjoyed it. The breaded "chicken breasts" & the "pork chops" were frozen patties that you can buy off of a Schwan's truck and the vegetable medley was obviously out of a frozen bag. The Bolognaise was so spicy that it was not hardly edible. The only thing that we enjoyed was the South Union Bakery bread, the cheese pizza for my 8 year old and the chocolate cake for desert. The service was very good and the atmosphere is swank, but so is my house and it doesn't cost as much to eat out of my own freezer.Special Features:
- Quality changed with new ownershipDSMGastroDined on 3/14/2014About 3 years ago, the Giudicessi family sold Mezzodi's. The menu changed and the quality suffered. While the food is decent, it isn't what I would expect for the price tag. We were just there again Friday for my mom's birthday. The service is great. The ambiance is nice and the cocktails are good, but again, the food is lackluster. It is still a decent restaurant if you are on the south side and planning to catch a movie at the Fleur, or in our case, had our kids with us. But, for the money, if you are dining as a couple or a group of adults, opt for making reservations at Skip's.Special Features:
- Outstanding!RetiredDined on 3/6/2014Our waitress was excellent! Food was excellent! Staff was friendly. They go above and beyond to make your dining experience exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!!BarbDined on 3/5/2014As I said, the food was excellent. Our waitress was simply superb!!! She catered to our every need, was patient as our party did not gather quite on time. She took pictures for us. Oh yes, our experience was wonderful!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Go If You're HungryVisitorVIPDined on 3/3/2014We were visiting from out of town. Service was fast, friendly, and helpful. The suggested wine pairings with the courses worked well. The food was good and the portions were HUGE. I was there with my teenage son. We both ordered an appetizer and a main course. Neither of us was able to finish our meal, despite how much we liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable experienceSandiDined on 2/25/2014Our party of 6 was impressed with the quality of the food and our waitress was cheerful, attentive and efficient. The wild mushroom lasagne was wonderful, but the amount of rich alfredo sauce, although delicious, was a little too generous and the spinach too sparse. The selection of beers and wines was extensive and we all enjoyed our drinks. Overall, it was a satisfying meal and we look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreBirthdayDined on 2/13/2014Both the food and service were mediocre. A group of 9 went there because they had a good reputation but the food has gone downhill over the last few years. The waitress was really nice but not knowledgeble and messed up many orders, plus it took 3 times to get the checks correct. I will not be going there again.Special Features:
- Fast and friendlyMoviegoerDined on 1/18/2014The food was good. Service was great and we made our movie without any problems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discovered a great placetjfbprincipalDined on 1/17/2014My food was good and the people were friendly. My only issue was, I ordered my ravioli with Alfredo sauce and got tomato sauce. Oh well, it was still good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was a charmscthawkiDined on 1/11/2014We dined at Mezzodi's after a movie on Saturday evening. Love that they offer 2-for-1 drinks or dessert with your movie ticket! The hostess was also our server and did a great job. Food was so amazing! The largest mozza sticks I've ever seen. Everything was home made and tasted delicious. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY flavorful food. We reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2013VERY flavorful food. We really enjoyed our selections.Special Features:
- My Husband's BirthdayMichelleDined on 12/27/2013We were contacted twice to see if we wanted to still keep the reservation.Which was great to know they knew we wee coming. The waiter was overly chatty or too quiet. You felt you could ask him questions and not be a bother. The menu was varied which was great because our group was also varied. The serve was timely as we were going to a show and did not have a lot of extra time. It seemed we would finish with the appetizers and the salads came, finished with the salad and the main entree arrived. Drinks and water were always kept full and a request to leave a pitcher of water on the table was met with a smile and the pitcher. We had a wonderful time and will most assuredly be back agin. This was not our first time nor our last.Special Features:
- Booth = Munchkins onlyjbrady65Dined on 12/14/2013We went to Mezzodi's to celebrate my 48th birthday. The food was certainly good enough. Waiter was young, attentive and knowledgeable. The only 2 issues would be how dark the room was (we read the menu with our smart phone flashlights) and the our sitting was tight for 4 people. The booths (that I could see, there may be others) were U - shaped around a square table. Suffice it to say it was a bit uncomfortable @ 6'2".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent Mezzodi'sMezzodiFanDined on 11/30/2013We have been enjoying Mezzodi's for several years. It's cozy, the food is great and the lighting is soft. Our favorite waitress retired but the wait staff we've had since then is good but we miss Cheryl :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold PizzaWineDineDebVIPDined on 11/26/2013We ordered a salad and the margherita pizza. It was nothing special but may have been better if it were served warm. The sald had a nice flavor but was drowning in the dressing. The wines by the glass selection was disappointing. Only one Chardonnay by the Glass and not one I would order so we went with ice tea.Special Features:
- Disappointmentyumyum22Dined on 11/15/2013Our party of eight was disappointed with the experience at Mezzodi's. The wait staff was inefficient and inattentive. Food was okay but arrived at the table lukewarm. We were never asked if we wanted a second glass of wine or more bread. Water glasses were filled sporadically. One waitress made a rude comment under her breath about an older guest's request. I had remembered Mezzodi's as being a very nice restaurant but will not return again anytime soon. Very disappointing!
- Everything was absolutelySassyDined on 10/12/2013Everything was absolutely wonderful from the private room to the food and service, we will diffently be back.Special Features:
- Great food at Mezzodi'sTryingSomethingNewDined on 10/1/2013We had a group of 11 for lunch and it worked out great. Food was EXCELLENT and although it was a little slow to get our initial order taken, the food came relatively quickly and the server was responsive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably won't go backAkgrimesDined on 9/28/2013The decor was nice. The server was attentive. My husband ordered the Gorgonzola steak and said the cut of meat wasn't very good. I ordered the mushroom lasagna. It was so hot that even with being careful I burned the roof of my mouth (felt it all the next day). So much sauce I couldn't find the noodles. It kind of turned into a soup as I poked at it. We didn't have dessert.
- Great food, wonderful waitress!TrifamilyDined on 8/31/2013We took our 6 & 3 year old boys, and the good came out very quickly and very yummy. Strongly recommend for a date or nicer dinner with family or friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.