3407 Lakeshore Avenue
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mezze.com/
- Phone: 5106632500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm.
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Alice Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Casual yet elegant, with high ceilings, Mezzé is available for private luncheon and dinner functions any day of the week with prior arrangement. The facility is conveniently located near Lake Merritt and near the Lakeshore/Grand Avenue 580 Freeway exit. The restaurant can accommodate 65 seated guests or 85 standing with a full bar and a professional staff. Mezzé offers a seasonal Mediterranean menu.
- Private Party Contact: Maurice Darwish 510663-2500x
- Special Events: *HAPPY HOUR MENU* on Monday Through Friday (4:30 PM - 6:30 PM.) And No corkage fee nights Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Both offers cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. Enjoy $3 beer & $5 cocktails along with a variety of food bites ($4 - $8.) Mezzé offers an innovative pan-Mediterranean menu that changes with the seasons. Described in the Zagat guide as “a neighborhood treasure” with "world-class food" this Oakland jewel is a real "treat" at delivering eclectic fare. The "three-course prix-fixe menus are a "steal." The menu encompasses a wide variety of dishes, including pizze, Moroccan lamb tagine, coriander-crusted ahi tuna, wood-oven roasted chicken. Mezzé offers several three-course prix fixe menus for between $23 - $34 and those are available all night.
A word from Mezze
** HAPPY HOUR MENU ** Monday through Friday from 4:30 to 6:30 pm and ** NO CORKAGE FEE NIGHTS ** on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Both offers cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. Mezzé offers an innovative pan-Mediterranean menu that changes with the seasons. Described in the Zagat guide as “a neighborhood treasure” with "world-class food" this Oakland jewel is a real "treat" at delivering eclectic fare. The "three-course prix-fixe menus are a "steal." The menu encompasses a wide variety of dishes, including pizze, Moroccan lamb tagine, coriander-crusted ahi tuna, wood-oven roasted chicken, cioppino, Moroccan-spiced grilled salmon, seared wild scallops.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezze reviews from OpenTable diners
- Mezze great - sorry it's closing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/12/2013Every course was very, very good. Warm, pleasant atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dinner at Mezze was excellent.BrianDined on 11/30/2013Our dinner at Mezze was excellent. It always is. They are closing in a couple of weeks and will be missed. For the same quality food in a very casual setting, the owners of Mezze run the Cove on Castro Street in SF. Last time I was there at the Cove, they were smoking their own brisket! Fabulous!!Special Features:
- Farewell to a local fixtureDoug54Dined on 11/9/2013We had what was likely our last dinner at Mezze Saturday night. Maurice greeted us warmly as we've come to expect. Our server knew our favorite cocktails and served them promptly. The food was reliably tasty (I had the corn soup and the coriander crusted tuna, my companion had a salad and the cioppinno), and the chocolate bread pudding was wonderful. We will miss all of this when Mezze closes in less than a month. We will miss this place which always made us feel at welcome and at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a changeBirthdayGirlDined on 11/8/2013I remember many good meals at Mezze, but they were years ago. When my friends and I heard that Mezze was closing next month, we decided to have my birthday dinner there for one last farewell. The food was fine, but the service was awful. We waited more than 30 minutes for our drinks, after getting up several times to check on them at the bar and complaining to the owner. They are definitely in short-timer mode there. They are closing next month and the don't care about good service. I also had an empty water glass for at least 45 minutes until I flagged someone down to fill it up. At the same time, they had bus boys who were trying to clear your plate before you finished chewing your last bite. Time for a change at that location.
- Goodbye Mezze, you will be missed!TontheTownVIPDined on 11/2/2013So sad to see our favorite restaurant go. Thanks to Maurice and Solange and all the staff for so many wonderful years of dining and celebration, right in our neighborhood. You will all be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NIce menuLocal30VIPDined on 11/1/2013It's been nearly a decade since I was here last but it was exactly as I remember it...many delicious menu choices with a healthy bent easily done Mediterranean-style.Special Features:
- DeliciousPandemoniumDined on 10/20/2013Very nice food, presentation, lovely restaurant. Only comment is I would have liked the opportunity to look up to signal the waiter and bussers to come to the table for ordering, taking plates away, each pause during the meal. Well the bussers, maybe not, but they could have let the plates sit just a wee bit longer before whisking them away. As we were not really lagging and there were few diners that night, it made me feel rushed. You would think we had arrived 45 mins before closing or something. the waiter was really nice, btw so i don't want him to feel bad....just sayin"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great serviceoaktownmomVIPDined on 10/18/2013we heard Mezze is being sold, which is too bad. This is a solid, great restaurant.Special Features:
- wonderful dining experience,joseVIPDined on 10/16/2013wonderful dining experience, as always, as expected. the place was unusually quiet that evening, great for us, sad for the establsihment a personal favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why it's half-empty on Friday at 7OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2013We were seated by the kitchen, under a speaker, despite a half-empty restaurant. A server took our drink order. A minute later another server came for our drink order. 15 minutes later still no drinks and no food order yet, the two servers notwithstanding. Then I saw the bartender shake a drink, which arrived as "sangria." It tasted like cheap wine with orange peel, with no other fruit in it. Lamb tagine was mediocre; chicken Caesar was fine. The receipt said $24 for the Caesar when the menu said $18. The manager made me reread the prix-fixe paragraph, which in fact didn't note a price differential, then said he forgot to type $24, and added, "If it's going to bother you, I'll change it to $18." He treated me as if I were stupid and cheap.
- Great dinnerjrockDined on 9/26/2013We loved our meal from start to finish. Vegetarian appetizer platter,martinis, clams, lamb shank, duck, ribs and chocolate bread pudding and wine, coffee. Delicious! Our server (Annie?) was helpful and friendly. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Food and service okay.love2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2013Butter lettuce salad, yellow fin tartar, and bread were good. Hamburger and fries were good, but not memorable. Risotto was bland, Ribs were juicy and meaty but the sauce was too sweet. Service was very friendly but often quite distracted and inattentive.
- The restaurant was not nearlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2013The restaurant was not nearly crowded enough to have to wait over one half hour for our plates. The wait staff seemed to know that the kitchen was way behind, and not one person came by to explain . If this were the first time that this occurred, I would give the benefit of the doubt. This is easily the third time that the kitchen has dragged beyond reasonable.
- OK MediterraneanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2013I wanted Mezze to be better than it was. Pros: Good service. Server was helpful, attentive, made us feel welcome. Mezze Platter- a decent assortment of Mediterranean goodies. Especially tasty Olive Tapenade and Labne. Cons: The food- which is mostly why I go out to eat. We had a Ceasar Salad and Lamb, both of which I would expect to be better crafted dishes for the price we were paying. They were under-seasoned, and just missed the mark a little. Overall, in the Lakeshore/Grand Neighborhood, you are competing with Sidebar, Grand Lake Kitchen, Cana, Boot & Shoe Service. Your food and the overall value of the experience needs to stand up to these competitors, and they have set the bar just too high.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2013We've eaten at Mezze two times to celebrate special occasions. The ambiance and service are wonderful, but the food is the star. Delicious, creative, well prepared and presented, and at a reasonable price. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good french fries (frites)10upDined on 8/21/2013Good french fries (frites) with two sauces. Delicious falling-off-the bone lamb shank. Excellent small cioppino. atypical key lime pie, good flavor, strange creamy texture, especially the meringue, nice pastry shell and good touch with hazelnuts..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date nighthukilauDined on 8/18/2013Got out for a date night and got a table for two near the windows that were opened and watched the near full moon rise. Great food and drinks! Loved the key lime pie for dessert, which was a change from our usual chocolate or berry desserts. The risotto was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a CelebrationChoiceDined on 8/18/2013Mezze is a wonderful neighborhood gem. The staff is great and food is always wonderful. Perfect spot for a small or large gathering where you can sit, relax, have a lovely meal and not be drowned out by too much noise.Special Features:
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2013We've been to Mezze many times. We always love it. The food is delicious and beautiful. I had the tagine and ate every morsel even though I was stuffed because it was so good. My friends were equally happy. They raved about the red pepper soup and roasted chicken in the the three course dinners which were incredibly priced. Our server was friendly and attentive and our food came out quickly. They have this thing down! It's a perfect date night out. I wouldn't change a thing (except maybe adding white tablecloths). @; ).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place and haveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/13/2013We love this place and have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:
- Just okeaeaDined on 8/9/2013Interior is plain, food just ok. Was crowded so maybe we missed out on something. Won't be going back though.
- Needs caffeine to wake it up!FoodVIPDined on 8/6/2013Tuesday, August 6th ..... Not the best in a locale where good food is easy to find. Caesar salad was blah. Pizzas were OK but not great. Free corkage deal is nice. The place felt "tired." We will try again to see if we got an "off" night.Special Features:
- Okay for MezzeLoraineJoshVIPDined on 7/25/2013It is a nice neighborhood restaurant. Waite staff very nice, friendly, attentive. We just don't care for the menu selections- what we had was good, but just not a memorable experience to want to return. We haven't developed a palate for the mediterranean food they serve there. Love the service and staff however....
- consistently a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2013consistently a great place! we had only appetizers on this visit--and they were all great! very interesting special appetizers, and of course the famous "chocolate croissant bread pudding" --not to be missed. very friendly owners, the best neighborhood "tablecloth" restaurant on Lakeshore Ave!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll go back!SusanDined on 7/14/2013My husband and I ordered the butter salad with shaved cheese and pecans--delightful and perfect for what I had coming next--the cioppino. The cioppino was out of this world--primarily mussels, but also succulent prawns, some fish, and clams. Broth was perfect--fennel, garlic, tomato, onions, and white wine--not too salty or heavy. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2013The service was excellent, we showed up relatively late, right before closing,, but did not feel rushed at all by the waitstaff who were exceptionally attentive and helpful. The food was very good and the croissant bread budding was excellent as were the mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderful every timeKipstressDined on 7/12/2013I've been a regular for years. The owners are warm and welcoming, the setting is simple and lovely, and the food is always delicious. The Bay Scallops, or ahi tuna, or wood-fired chicken are consistently good. The Mezze Platter is a tasty starter. But since I've been so often, I usually try the specials these days - always a winner. Try it. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- A Definite Plus on FoodDrmonarDined on 7/10/2013Three of us went early for dinner about 6:15PM. The restaurant was not crowded yet. We had great service, attentive and not overbearing. The food was really outstanding. We ordered the Mezze Mediterranean plate which was excellent and ample for us to share. There were enough olives to take some home. We shared two more dishes that were flavorful to the palate. This is a definite go to again place for high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delightful; great service;OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/8/2013Always delightful; great service; and since we had just gone wine-tasting over the weekend, the "no-corkage fee" Monday/Tues/Wed. was a perfect way to enjoy our new bottles.Special Features:
- Warm atmosphere, friendly serviceJanet1771Dined on 7/2/2013Mezze is a Lake Merritt favorite. Like many locals, I return regularly for a satisfying meal in this gracious, relaxed environment. I appreciate the flavorful, healthy Mediterranean menu, and I'm often delighted by interesting and fresh seasonal variations. I'm a vegetarian and, while the menu isn't extensive it is often updated and supplemented by innovative specials. There's always something delightful to sample, like the Asparagus Rissotto with wild mushrooms. The specialty cocktail menu is also small but perfectly satisfying. On hot summer days I like the Jade Martini (with lime and muddled basil) or the Elder (with cucumber and elder flower).Special Features:
- FEINSTEIN"S and ANZUOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2013Once again had dinner at ANZU before show at FEINSTEIN'S. Service is truly outstanding and food is very good and beautifully presented. We've enjoyed the free range chicken and salmon, and their wedge salad. if you're having dessert, their opera cake is very small, but the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday Fun day!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2013I went to Mezze on a Monday for my Birthday Party. It was a nice experince. We had good service and the food was really good. The flavors were great and the prentation was fresh and colorful. After dinner we all went over to The easy for Karaoke night! It was just what I was looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Great MealOaktownMommaDined on 6/23/2013Enjoyed the shrimp and scallop ceviche, roast chicken, asparagus risotto and amazing fries. Perfect, perfect fries. Mezze is a reliable good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spontaneous Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2013Mezze is just down the street from where we live so we frequently invite friends over to our house for a drink and then walk over to Mezze for dinner. The menu has a good range of options from the burger to vegetarian fare and the prices are moderate. It's possible to order hardy dinners with multiple courses or a couple of appetizers or a salad. It's almost always possible to get a reservation at our desired time.Special Features:
- On busy nights a second bartenderPSPSVIPDined on 6/16/2013On busy nights a second bartender is needed. Not the first time our cocktails arrived late...as in after our appetizers were already on the table... And the wine came after we add begun our main course. The table was bussed too aggressively. Plates removed when some at the table were still eating. Bread not replaced. Water glasses gone empty.
- We all enjoyed ourselves!OaklandNancyDined on 5/26/2013We were one older couple and one couple with a small child, and everyone was pleased with the food, the service--everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okay food but BAD serviceBreeBlouinDined on 5/18/2013The food was good and the location is nice, being down in the Lakeshore area, but we were surprised that they had only two servers, one bartender and a bus boy running tables--and it was PACKED. It was very slow service, they forgot things and didn't check in on us until we had to go and tap the server on the shoulder to let her know we needed drinks, that our bread never came, and that our waters needed refilling. I NEVER do that since it seems tacky, but she literally walked past us five times and didn't even look over to see that we were trying to flag her down. If the service was better, the price would be fine, but I wouldn't go back given the price and lack of service--and the food was fine, but not great....there's better out there..
- The good and the less goodloveOaklandVIPDined on 5/18/2013Vibrant space and bar. Good Mediterranean appetizer platter. Good asparagus-mushroom risotto. Chicken kabobs and risotto too salty.Special Features:
- The quality of the food remainsJodiVIPDined on 4/5/2013The quality of the food remains flavorful and interesting yet it was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Quiet SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/18/2013Mediterranean cuisine at your finger tips. Of course, I had the lamb! Lamb or Fish have to a must when having this type of cuisine (unless you have Goat!) You'll enjoy a simple mellow ambiance with really nice staff plus a hardworking owner! If you're into sizable portions then this place is just right. They don't over do it but you'll fill up. Try the LAMB!!! Come here & let me give you a kiss on each cheek!Special Features: