Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
459 Prospect Way
Half Moon Bay, CA 94038Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mezzalunabythesea.com/
- Phone: 6507288108x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant capacity seats 250. Main dining room seats 120 total. Back Room seats up to 40. Bar area seats up to 140.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events Coordinator 6507288108x
- Entertainment: Stage area and dance floor located in our bar area. For private functions, DJ's and bands are welcome.
- Special Events: Whether it's a wedding, birthday, anniversary, graduation, or just a family reunion, we look forward to helping create a memorable and successful occasion. Our banquet menu features some of our more popular dishes and items and has been crafted to accommodate most budgets, preferences and dietary needs. Depending on your group size, we have two banquet rooms available for private parties. Please visit our website for additional information and contact our Special Events Coordinator today!
A word from Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
Mezza Luna Restaurant, "half moon" in Italian, is located in the historic Princeton Landing Building (circa 1908). The harbor town of Princeton by the Sea is located 20 miles south of San Francisco on Highway 1. In this scenic area of Half Moon Bay, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean, you can experience breathtaking coastal views and marvel at the giant waves of Mavericks. Opened in the Summer of 1993, Mezza Luna continues to create an eating environment which provides the highest quality of meat, fish, produce, pizza and pasta. All with a contemporary Southern Italian flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (81)good for groups (66)fit for foodies (65)romantic (59)scenic view (56)great for lunch (37)kid-friendly (34)notable wine list (30)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (16)great for brunch (13)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- JjarlathDined on 9/24/2014Good food, nice ambiance good service close to where we stayed...
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceBJluvsBJDined on 9/17/2014This was a birthday celebration and we could not have been more pleased. Friendly atmosphere from the time we stepped into the restaurant and were met by the lovely Hostess. Food was outstanding and the service excellent. This has quickly become our very favorite Coastside restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious Italian foodJRreviewsDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed everything - lightly breaded calimari, tortellini with funghi, and spaghetti genovese al pesto. Delicious tiramisu and ciocollati for dessert as well! Very attentive table service. A memorable dinner for my wife and I in Half Moon Bay.Special Features:
- Good food ... good viewhokienerdDined on 9/14/2014Quaint restaurant with excellent food. Try to get a table overlooking the marina it adds to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary!SarabooDined on 9/12/2014We had a great meal for our anniversary. We have never been disappointed at Mezzaluna!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Awful!!EpicureDined on 9/12/2014Chicken Saltimboca was like rubber. The "gravy" over it tasted like it came out of a can. The Patralie sole was burnt, and dry. The clams and linguini came with mostly with empty shells. When empty shells were mentioned to the waiter, instead of offering something else, he made excuses. When asked to take a photo, he couldn't get it over with fast enough. Hence, no flash, poor photo. The doors and tables were so dirty, if you touched them, your hands were sticky. When I went to wash my hands, the bathroom was even dirtier and smelled really bad. There is very little seafood on the menu. "Chocolate souffle" was a small warmed up molten chocolate cake. AVOID THIS PLACE!
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014It took a while to drive from San Jose during evening commute, but the service and food was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014We were from out of town so not previously familiar with the restaurant. Truly enjoyed the food, service, and ambience. It was just what we were looking for. Best heirloom and burrata salad I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant AfternoonjohnandpopDined on 9/9/2014We were hosting friends to celebrate their 50th and Mezzaluna helped us by giving us the best table in the house, in the corner, looking towards the water. The restaurant is not crowded at lunch and we were able to have lovely, quiet conversations. Service was off and on. It took some time to get even water service. However, once the food arrived, it was mostly very good. I've read pros and cons opinions on their version of a Ceasar salad. I, personally, am in the con side but another at our table really enjoyed it. We'll be back. The menu, while tattered, has lots of good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always terrificQumacyDined on 9/7/2014This is a very quaint and lovely (away from the maddening crowd) kind of place. It is and can be very busy...but it is handled very well. An ample parking lot and a lovely walk if you want to get closer to the bay....! Food has always been wonderful. Have daily specials which are always welcomed....good White Bean Soup....just one of my favorites....and the Chocolate Soufflé... is terrific...I like mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...cause that the kind of girl I am...!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st wedding anniversary-KellyjeannekDined on 9/7/2014We had a 5pm reservation and were seated at a window that was open with a lovely breeze- in view of the harbor. Service was polite and attentive-not rushed or overbearing. Salads and seafood fresh and delicious. I had a veal dish and my husband a rib dish-with delicious creme brulee with berries and lemon sorbet. The resteraunt was much fuller when we left- but we appreciated the privacy for our first anniversary with Andrea Boccelli music piped in, but not too loudly :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014I would rate this restaurant no higher than a B. The service was outstanding. The ample bread they brought to the table was incredibly delicious with a tasty soft inside and crunchy crust. The view was very nice and it is a very relaxing place to dine. The food was good, not great. I had the pizza margherita - nice crust, pretty tasty, but only one small leaf of basil, and it was pretty salty. My wife had a broiled salmon - it tasted a little fishy and the texture made me think that it was not that fresh.Special Features:
- The Taylor's from Modestotravelswell2dayDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The menu choices were great and the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian food and serviceJnJKVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have been to Mezzaluna before and remembered it well. We will be back. The food and service was excellent without the prices being exhorbitant. The Involtini were delicious. The menu is quite extensive and the wine list broad, including a good range of prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service - fix the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014First let me say the service was really great. The food was not. We were out driving around and wanted a great dinner. The Open Table reviews said this was it. IT IS NOT! The Caprese salad used flavorless tomatoes and bland cheese. The main seafood dishes tasted flavorless - frozen. Not fresh as this restaurant is located next to the sea.
- Another good meal!DebsterDined on 8/29/2014I had the minestronni soup and capellini with tomato and basil. All very tasty. This is a good place for lunch or dinner. My husband loves their Cesar salad! He says they make the best! I am a vegetarian And find that they have many tasty options for me to choose from.Special Features:
- The Place to GoPatricia2014Dined on 8/29/2014We have been going to Mezzaluna for many years and have NEVER been disappointed. The quality of food and the service is always consistent. There isn't a bad choice on the menu. Something for everyone and always done outstanding. The service is beyond compare. We have never had a bad server. They always remember us when we come in and treat us like old friends.Special Features:
- 4girlsoutDined on 8/27/2014Delicious Food. Didn't care for the corner table by the mirror but for our girls night it was okay. Server was knowledgeable. I brought my own wine and the corkage charge was acceptable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!ZchpDined on 8/23/2014We wanted a romantic place that we could take a couple of bottles of wine for our anniversary, and boy did we find it. The food was amazing.... Amazing, and the service from Berta (our server) was too notch! We couldn't have imagined a more perfect anniversary dinner. Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerkwoodsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our anniversary dinner at MezzaLuna. I had requested a specific area of the restaurant for seating and they gave us the perfect table. The food was tasty, though why I would not rate the experience as Outstanding was that we felt rushed while there.Special Features:
- A Go To FavoriteHMBJackDined on 8/23/2014When we go to Mezzaluna, we are never disappointed. The food is always good. Whether we sit in the bar side or the restaurant side, we are always greeted by a friendly, attentive staff, and always served wonderful food at a good price. Whether it is a birthday, or just a quiet dinner, it remains one of our favorites.Special Features:
- PokeyVIPDined on 8/22/2014The mixed salad was exquisitely fresh - THE BEST! Soups exceptional, too!Special Features:
- Coastal FindTopher77Dined on 8/17/2014We stopped in Sunday night with another couple enroute from Carmel to SFO and told the waiter we were on a timeline. He got out food out quickly and it was wonderful. Between us we ordered a good variety of appetizers salads soups, entrees and deserts and didn't find anything we wouldn't recommend. Don't miss the house made strawberry ice cream cheese cake desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll be hooked with the bread!LouisaDined on 8/17/2014Baking their own French bread and presenting a basket full when you are seated does the trick. It's the lightest, most delicious French bread I've ever eaten and it's been consistently good over the years. My family almost always orders a pasta...they're all delicious. Housemade gnocchi, lasagna, fresh pesto and tomato sauces are scrumptious. The chicken and veal dishes are nicely done as well. My parents have been going to Mezzaluna for years and introduced us to it years ago. You can always count on their consistency and enjoy a delicious meal. Don't forget to mop up the sauce on your plate with the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smckaniaDined on 8/16/2014We ordered the grilled seafood for two, and it was perfect. The seafood was fresh, and the portions weren't too big or too small. I would love to go back to try the pasta.Special Features:
- Great local findcocomenDined on 8/11/2014Enjoy on weeknights. Weekends are crowded and noise level would be high. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent.....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014I had the chicken saltimbocca and it was moist, had great flavor and loved the wine sage sauce. My boyfriend had the filet and it was prepared a perfect medium, a nice char on the outside and pink in the inside. The peppercorn sauce on the filet went very well with the steak.Special Features:
- Really good food, bad chairsSuzenschoiceDined on 8/8/2014I had the lamb chops, which were excellent, with just the right amount of side vegetables and roasted potatoes. My companions were happy with their pasta dishes. The deserts were lovely. Service was very pleasant and professional. Only complaint was the uncomfortable chairs which are those Mexican style straight backed, hard seat style.Special Features:
- Husband's birthdayCorkyDined on 8/7/2014Wanting a dinner meeting spot between San Francisco and Santa Cruz for the family to celebrate "grandpa's" birthday on a weeknight, we went to Mezza Luna on a friend's recommendation. It was delightful. The setting was beautiful, the staff friendly and attentive (even though they were down a person), and the food was delicious. There were 6 of us. We met first in the bar which was lovely and full of laughter and then were shown to a table by the window where we looked out on the edge of the harbor. Everyone had something different from the menu and all were happy with their choices. Knowing it was my husband's birthday, the staff brought out a piece of ice cream cake with a candle and sang happy birthday with us.Special Features:
- Good for celebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014We came here for my husband's birthday, his 5 year work party and most recently our 5th anniversary. The food is great, not fussy, but very tasty and there is a good variety on the menu. The view is beautiful and service was very good. We will definitely be back, possibly to celebrate something, but hopefully sooner than that!Special Features:
- Great service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Wwe always enjoy Mezzaluna. The service was extraordinary, we had a great table, and the food was delicious. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- AmazingFoodieDined on 8/1/2014The food was incredible and the prices were very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter needs trainingMarinaDined on 7/31/2014Waiter was defensive about his own bad service, and even a bit hostile.Special Features:
- jimboVIPDined on 7/27/2014Always fantastic:Giovanni and Teresa are superb!Food always great:Thanks:Jim TwomeySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok servicesuprisemeDined on 7/27/2014I really liked all the dishes I tried. The service was okay, but it took them almost 5 minutes to welcome us although the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- mezzalunahighlandmateDined on 7/27/2014scenic location in half moon bay. have window tables overlooking pacific ocean which was nice. Nice place if you want a getaway to lunch from your usual hangouts. polite and efficient service by staff. Food was OK/avg. Had prosciutto/melon appetizer = OK, spaghetti genovese which was bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food / Lively AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014This is clearly a popular spot amongst locals. Many guests new the staff. There were lots of celebrations taking place in the restaurant that evening. Despite listing our anniversary on the reservation, it wasn't acknowledged. The food was tasty and well prepared. The service was average. Despite having a reservation, we waited about 10 minutes to be seated as did other guests. We were seated near a large party, so it was noisy and active in our corner of the restaurant. Overall, the food is great, but if you're looking for a quiet and more calm spot...this isn't it.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014We were 4 people celebrating a birthday.We were seated on time. Ten minutes later our order was taken. We then waited one hour for our entree to arrive. People surrounding us who came after us were served before us. An apology was offered; however I feel it would have been appropriate to comp our wine or comp appetizers while we waited. The unacceptable wait spoiled our celebration. When the food did arrive, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favorite!judyxiiiDined on 7/24/2014An Italian dinner at Mezzaluna is always our choice if we're in the Half Moon Bay area. Low-key elegant-but-comfortable vibe. Friendly staff, good menu options, many window seats.Special Features:
- Dissapointed in FoodwelltraveledDined on 7/23/2014After reading of the awards won and the accolades received by Mezza Luna we decided to try the restaurant on our trip to the Half Moon Bay area. The local was fine, parking plentiful, service friendly and prompt. But the most important part of the experience - the food - was totally lacking in flavor. The Caesar salad was dull, had no anchovies, and had bright orange cubes of bread that were tasteless as well as unattractive. The veal, stuffed with Parma ham and mozzarella, looked like sausages and tasted like that also. The accompanying veggies were over cooked while the roasted potatoes were under cooked. The pasta with seafood looked fine but was, again, not at all interesting or complex in its flavors. We were very disappointed!Special Features: