Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
459 Prospect Way
Half Moon Bay, CA 94038Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mezzalunabythesea.com/
- Phone: 6507288108x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant capacity seats 250. Main dining room seats 120 total. Back Room seats up to 40. Bar area seats up to 140.
- Private Party Contact: Special Events Coordinator 6507288108x
- Entertainment: Stage area and dance floor located in our bar area. For private functions, DJ's and bands are welcome.
- Special Events: Whether it's a wedding, birthday, anniversary, graduation, or just a family reunion, we look forward to helping create a memorable and successful occasion. Our banquet menu features some of our more popular dishes and items and has been crafted to accommodate most budgets, preferences and dietary needs. Depending on your group size, we have two banquet rooms available for private parties. Please visit our website for additional information and contact our Special Events Coordinator today!
A word from Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay
Mezza Luna Restaurant, "half moon" in Italian, is located in the historic Princeton Landing Building (circa 1908). The harbor town of Princeton by the Sea is located 20 miles south of San Francisco on Highway 1. In this scenic area of Half Moon Bay, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean, you can experience breathtaking coastal views and marvel at the giant waves of Mavericks. Opened in the Summer of 1993, Mezza Luna continues to create an eating environment which provides the highest quality of meat, fish, produce, pizza and pasta. All with a contemporary Southern Italian flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezzaluna - Half Moon Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (82)special occasion (80)good for groups (65)romantic (61)scenic view (61)fit for foodies (58)great for lunch (44)kid-friendly (38)notable wine list (30)great for brunch (17)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing!!ZchpDined on 8/23/2014We wanted a romantic place that we could take a couple of bottles of wine for our anniversary, and boy did we find it. The food was amazing.... Amazing, and the service from Berta (our server) was too notch! We couldn't have imagined a more perfect anniversary dinner. Thanks so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerkwoodsVIPDined on 8/23/2014We enjoyed our anniversary dinner at MezzaLuna. I had requested a specific area of the restaurant for seating and they gave us the perfect table. The food was tasty, though why I would not rate the experience as Outstanding was that we felt rushed while there.Special Features:
- A Go To FavoriteHMBJackDined on 8/23/2014When we go to Mezzaluna, we are never disappointed. The food is always good. Whether we sit in the bar side or the restaurant side, we are always greeted by a friendly, attentive staff, and always served wonderful food at a good price. Whether it is a birthday, or just a quiet dinner, it remains one of our favorites.Special Features:
- PokeyVIPDined on 8/22/2014The mixed salad was exquisitely fresh - THE BEST! Soups exceptional, too!Special Features:
- Coastal FindTopher77Dined on 8/17/2014We stopped in Sunday night with another couple enroute from Carmel to SFO and told the waiter we were on a timeline. He got out food out quickly and it was wonderful. Between us we ordered a good variety of appetizers salads soups, entrees and deserts and didn't find anything we wouldn't recommend. Don't miss the house made strawberry ice cream cheese cake desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll be hooked with the bread!LouisaDined on 8/17/2014Baking their own French bread and presenting a basket full when you are seated does the trick. It's the lightest, most delicious French bread I've ever eaten and it's been consistently good over the years. My family almost always orders a pasta...they're all delicious. Housemade gnocchi, lasagna, fresh pesto and tomato sauces are scrumptious. The chicken and veal dishes are nicely done as well. My parents have been going to Mezzaluna for years and introduced us to it years ago. You can always count on their consistency and enjoy a delicious meal. Don't forget to mop up the sauce on your plate with the bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- smckaniaDined on 8/16/2014We ordered the grilled seafood for two, and it was perfect. The seafood was fresh, and the portions weren't too big or too small. I would love to go back to try the pasta.Special Features:
- Great local findcocomenDined on 8/11/2014Enjoy on weeknights. Weekends are crowded and noise level would be high. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent.....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014I had the chicken saltimbocca and it was moist, had great flavor and loved the wine sage sauce. My boyfriend had the filet and it was prepared a perfect medium, a nice char on the outside and pink in the inside. The peppercorn sauce on the filet went very well with the steak.Special Features:
- Really good food, bad chairsSuzenschoiceDined on 8/8/2014I had the lamb chops, which were excellent, with just the right amount of side vegetables and roasted potatoes. My companions were happy with their pasta dishes. The deserts were lovely. Service was very pleasant and professional. Only complaint was the uncomfortable chairs which are those Mexican style straight backed, hard seat style.Special Features:
- Husband's birthdayCorkyDined on 8/7/2014Wanting a dinner meeting spot between San Francisco and Santa Cruz for the family to celebrate "grandpa's" birthday on a weeknight, we went to Mezza Luna on a friend's recommendation. It was delightful. The setting was beautiful, the staff friendly and attentive (even though they were down a person), and the food was delicious. There were 6 of us. We met first in the bar which was lovely and full of laughter and then were shown to a table by the window where we looked out on the edge of the harbor. Everyone had something different from the menu and all were happy with their choices. Knowing it was my husband's birthday, the staff brought out a piece of ice cream cake with a candle and sang happy birthday with us.Special Features:
- Good for celebrationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014We came here for my husband's birthday, his 5 year work party and most recently our 5th anniversary. The food is great, not fussy, but very tasty and there is a good variety on the menu. The view is beautiful and service was very good. We will definitely be back, possibly to celebrate something, but hopefully sooner than that!Special Features:
- Great service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Wwe always enjoy Mezzaluna. The service was extraordinary, we had a great table, and the food was delicious. Couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- AmazingFoodieDined on 8/1/2014The food was incredible and the prices were very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter needs trainingMarinaDined on 7/31/2014Waiter was defensive about his own bad service, and even a bit hostile.Special Features:
- jimboVIPDined on 7/27/2014Always fantastic:Giovanni and Teresa are superb!Food always great:Thanks:Jim TwomeySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok servicesuprisemeDined on 7/27/2014I really liked all the dishes I tried. The service was okay, but it took them almost 5 minutes to welcome us although the restaurant was not busy.Special Features:
- mezzalunahighlandmateDined on 7/27/2014scenic location in half moon bay. have window tables overlooking pacific ocean which was nice. Nice place if you want a getaway to lunch from your usual hangouts. polite and efficient service by staff. Food was OK/avg. Had prosciutto/melon appetizer = OK, spaghetti genovese which was bit dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food / Lively AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014This is clearly a popular spot amongst locals. Many guests new the staff. There were lots of celebrations taking place in the restaurant that evening. Despite listing our anniversary on the reservation, it wasn't acknowledged. The food was tasty and well prepared. The service was average. Despite having a reservation, we waited about 10 minutes to be seated as did other guests. We were seated near a large party, so it was noisy and active in our corner of the restaurant. Overall, the food is great, but if you're looking for a quiet and more calm spot...this isn't it.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014We were 4 people celebrating a birthday.We were seated on time. Ten minutes later our order was taken. We then waited one hour for our entree to arrive. People surrounding us who came after us were served before us. An apology was offered; however I feel it would have been appropriate to comp our wine or comp appetizers while we waited. The unacceptable wait spoiled our celebration. When the food did arrive, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favorite!judyxiiiDined on 7/24/2014An Italian dinner at Mezzaluna is always our choice if we're in the Half Moon Bay area. Low-key elegant-but-comfortable vibe. Friendly staff, good menu options, many window seats.Special Features:
- Dissapointed in FoodwelltraveledDined on 7/23/2014After reading of the awards won and the accolades received by Mezza Luna we decided to try the restaurant on our trip to the Half Moon Bay area. The local was fine, parking plentiful, service friendly and prompt. But the most important part of the experience - the food - was totally lacking in flavor. The Caesar salad was dull, had no anchovies, and had bright orange cubes of bread that were tasteless as well as unattractive. The veal, stuffed with Parma ham and mozzarella, looked like sausages and tasted like that also. The accompanying veggies were over cooked while the roasted potatoes were under cooked. The pasta with seafood looked fine but was, again, not at all interesting or complex in its flavors. We were very disappointed!Special Features:
- Way overrated!TANTVIPDined on 7/21/2014The food was only fair, and the wine we had was definitely overpriced for the quality. This was an expensive dinner for only fair wine and food. The service was very good, and the ambiance was nice. This restaurant was supposed to have a scenic view, which really was not the case.
- MerryDined on 7/21/2014I would highly recommend Mezzaluna. You are never rushed, always welcomed and the food is always delicious.Special Features:
- It was average...FlyflyflyDined on 7/20/2014We've eaten here before-place was nice, food was good. Couldn't understand a word the server was saying bc he had a thick accent. We ordered a bottle of wine but had to pour it ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vibrant atmosphere in HMBRosiepDined on 7/19/2014We enjoyed excellent food and service here on Saturday night. Very friendly staff and pleasant surroundings. The linguini with clams delicious, lasagna superb. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014We keep going back, so it's a nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceTravelerLQDined on 7/18/2014Our of town visitors. Food and service were outstanding. My son and family were here about a year ago and experienced a problem and I witnessed the same thing happen during our dinner. On both occasions there were a large group of tables reserved for most likely a wedding rehearsal dinner. When the group arrives and for quite some time they all stand in the aisle visiting and literally push up against other diners seated eating dinner. My son and the other tables around him were very uncomfortable. We were lucky to be in a 4 table alcove and were not affected by the party, but I saw the same thing happening, seated diners were being crowded by the party standing around. The managers of the restaurant should have attended to the issue.Special Features:
- Every Bite a PleasureNinaChewsDined on 7/15/2014W keep coming back to this wonderful place. The food is almost addictive, each bite better than the last. The service is wonderful, When I reserved our table, I asked to be by the window. We were seated at a sweet table in the back room and settled in. My spouse noticed that there was a table for 20 or more set in there too. As the party arrived the noise got worse and worse. We asked to be moved and within 2 minuets came the lovely woman who was attending to most everyone and she seated us at another table by the window. She was gracious and helpful and we proceeded with our dinner. We always have a great meal and a lovely time; catered to but not stuffy or pretentious. It's a gem!Special Features:
- jimboVIPDined on 7/13/2014AsUsual:Giovanni our waiter and Theresa our buser were fantastic:Food is always great!!!!Thanks Jim TwomeySpecial Features:
- Beautiful Old time ItalianFriendsDined on 7/13/2014Great pasta and seafood. Good portions and everything tastes fresh.Special Features:
- Bad nightTastyDined on 7/12/2014Ran out of soup special by 6:30, appetizer was salty and not hot, main meal was dense and chewy. The only best part of dinner that was the delicious was dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent FoodcocoadanDined on 7/12/2014My wife and myself went out to dinner for our anniversary. We both ordered a salad followed by the NY steak. Both of our steaks we're cooked perfectly, the sides were perfectly cooked as well! I would recommend this place for anyone who enjoys great food! Prices were great as well!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING AS USUALLocalDined on 7/10/2014As usual a great experience . We live in the area and it is our first choice to meet up and have dinner.From the time you open the door you are made to feel welcome and feel they are so glad you came for dinner.Special Features:
- jimboVIPDined on 7/6/2014Food authentic!Home made pasta/bread/and great olive oil!Fantastic waiter and server:Giovanni and Theresa were the best:Best overall experience on coast:You know the food is good when no one in the restaurant was talking on their cell phones!!!!!!!Jim TwomeySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite stopFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Always a favorite, sadly things have changed....Service is wonderful, but the pork chop special had a bland watery sauce, dissappointing. The cold cut appetizer plate was sparce, a few slices of sliced meats and 2 thin cheese wedges, couple of olives, not impressed. Three one inch slices of salami, really? The veal saltimbocca was a bit gamey and bland, not the sumptuous, flavorful meal it was in the past oozing with flavors and cheese. And the small amount of potatoes on the side barely a tablespoon worth with each entree. For spending $300 for 4 people I would expect much better flavors and quality of food.Special Features:
- yay MezzalunaFoodlaDined on 7/1/2014divine food. long wait to order drinks / then another for food. / wine not great. sounds like a bad review but i do love this restaurant. just not the best server last night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okFoodyVIPDined on 7/1/2014Server was great, but food was nothing special. Disappointing after reading all the great reviews.
- FAVORITE PLACE ON THE COASTMerryDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I love each time we go to Mezzaluna. Mostly, we go for special occasions. The staff is great and the food is excellent. We live just down the street and Mezzaluna is always our first choice. We love it.Special Features:
- Has potentialanniep55Dined on 6/28/2014I have not been to Mezza Luna for years and it had good reviews on yelp and people go there all the time. It was extremely busy so service was slow and that is understandable and I was not impressed with the food at all. Presentation was poor looked thrown together. Entrees were hot maybe because they were under the heat lamp too long. My pasta was fair - I make it better at home. My friends lasagna didn't have much btw the layers of noodles. My husband had mussels that were so small and his friend didn't even finish the Saltibocca. I will say it is probably better on a week night and maybe for pizza. I did hear from a coworker that the salmon is amazing. I won't be going back soon.Special Features: