551 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gaslampmeze.com/
- Phone: 6195465060x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Greek
- Executive Chef: Raymond Davoudi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Family Style Catering offered for any party size.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends or working over lunch, Meze can accommodate your private party.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Coordinator 8886511490
- Entertainment: Belly Dancer Saturday evenings.
A word from Meze
We are a family-owned bar and restaurant in San Diego’s popular Gaslamp Quarter. The word “mezé” translates as “taste” – meaning both “flavor” and “a taste of something.” At Mezé Greek Fusion you’ll find both. Our menu features finely crafted regional cuisine with a California twist. It can be enjoyed as entrees in our chic high-ceilinged dining room, or in small portions as “mezé” that go exceptionally well outside on our patio with a drink, or as a bite at the bar before heading to a Padres game or a night out in the Gaslamp. On the weekends, we serve a delicious brunch with Bottomless Mimosas. Late night we recommend that you try our cocktail list and have a staff member pack a hookah for you. Come by and discover how a place can be both elegant and familiar, which is to say, Mediterranean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Meze reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (17)good for groups (14)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (11)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (11)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent lambForrest2bDined on 7/19/2014All the dishes we had (salad, gyro plate, pita bread) were excellent, this was a great place to stumble into. There is a paid parking lot next door but it's easily walk-able from Horton Plaza. I'll be returning soon.Special Features:
- Great surprise in the GaslampOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Meze has very solid "Greek fusion" food. The baba ghanoush is wonderfully smooth and smokey, and every dish was really good. The salmon was beautifully prepared and the "yogurt salsa" it came with very nice, as were the grilled asparagus spears. Moroccan Mule cocktail was delicious. Server was exceptionally friendly and efficient. Atmosphere was hip without being too loud, and they even have a kids' menu. But must a Middle Eastern restaurant have a bellydancer to show how "exotic" it is? Not everyone wants their meal to be interrputed every few minutes to either stare at or ignore a gyrating woman at their table - we'd rather savor the food and conversation! Otherwise, this was a really lovely place, and we'll happily return.Special Features:
- surprisedRobertDined on 7/5/2014I thought I ordered the steak and chicken combo for dinner, and I noticed it was just steak on the plate. I ate it all up, then I noticed from the bill $28 bucks for my plate and it was lamb. I was amazed at how they cooked the lamb it was very good tasted like steak, but wow for that price it was kinda steep for the lamb, but it was the best lamb I ever tasted.Special Features:
- Good experienceRegularPatronDined on 7/4/2014Very busy crowd after Padres ballgame... but server was attentive even if kitchen was backed up. Food was worth the wait.
- Fabulous Gaslamp EateryGoodNeighborVIPDined on 7/4/2014We are staying in the San Diego area for a month, and in three weeks, we have been there 5 times so far, and still more dining experiences to follow before we leave. My husband loved the Octopus salad, and we have also loved the Greek quesadilla, chicken kabob, and just about everything is wonderful. Service is great too! Portions are huge! Love this place.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great !!JoanVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is the most friendly and accommodating neighborhood restaurant possible. It is always a pleasure to have their terrific dishes and receive a nice welcome from everyone there. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my visit to San DiegoDwhit573Dined on 6/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised to find this wonderful gem about a two block walk from my hotel in the GasLamp district. Wonderful space, with outdoor seating with heaters. My waitress was knowledgeable on the menu and made excellent recommendations which lived up to my expectations. Plan to go back before I leave.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, loose on the serviceTdalecDined on 6/8/2014Wow! That was the best gyros I've had in decades and the best falafel ever! And I've never had perfectly crisp shoestring fries covered in crumbled feta and fresh chopped parsley. Just excellent food. My companions loved the Greek salad, too. The service started out very attentive, but as the place filled up things got spotty. It took quite a while to get the check and even longer to get the check back. The decor can only be described as "hole-in-the-wall" but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Padre pre-gameGMaryDined on 6/7/2014Perfect place to eat before a b'ball game! Love that we can make a reservation and get in and out and not miss first pitch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Near Petco ParkdfranzettaVIPDined on 6/2/2014We were looking for a place to getting some good, healthy food before going to the Padres game at Petco Park. Meze was close to the park, so we gave it a try. What a great find! Nice location, terrific Greek fusion food, friendly, helpful service. Even better for us, we arrived at 5:30, and got Happy Hour 50% off prices on tapas and drinks. Highly recommend the Gyro quesadilla, Spanakopita, and Fiery Feta Mac 'n Cheese. But make sure to save room for the Baklava, It's as good as any we've ever eaten. Loved it!Special Features:
- Very satisfied!PylotgyderDined on 5/25/2014Had a graduation brunch/lunch for 7 people. The food was amazing! we ordered numerous appetizers and other dishes and ate family style. Everything was so delicious! The girls on duty were all nice and attentive to our group. I will definitely be returning to Meze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 nights in a rowNothappyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Love this place! OOOOOPA is a must! Delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpaAceBVIPDined on 5/23/2014Great fusian Greek food. Good night spot after a baseball game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEZE' Delivers!MarkVIPDined on 5/17/2014Between the vibrant bar scene, beautiful crowd, and great food, MEZE' hits a home run everytime! Add an amazing waitstaff, on the ball and ever present owners delivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and fantastic fooddedeVIPDined on 5/13/2014The staff was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. We had the Meze Platter for lunch and ate every morsel. I asked to substitute out the hummus for the baba ghanoush. It was so good. We were visiting from San Francisco and I'm only sorry there isn't a Meze nearby.Special Features:
- The action heats up at 8pmDawnSanDiegoDined on 5/10/2014From the excellent service to the lighted winged, fire- eat ing belly dancer ( not kidding!); to the delicious Greek fusion; cuisine,this place was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food marred by smokeDrKoobVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were visiting from Washington and were under the impression that you could not smoke in or NEAR a restaurant. When we arrived it was so great to be able to eat outdoors that when offered a table on the patio we grabbed it. We weren't alone. Four guys with two hookas and Sherman cigarettes smoked through our entire meal. In Washington, you can smoke within 30 yards of a restaurant so we were shocked you could in California. Had a great octopus salad to start, some Greek nachos as my entree. My bride had the special which was a very nice sea bass. We left without dessert as the smoke only got worse.
- meze is worth visitingmarknezDined on 4/24/2014We got there at the end of happy hour and were able to take advantage of the happy hour 1/2 price specials,which were wonderful and filling. Our companions ate from the full price menu and we were almost sorry to miss the great foods there. We will return for those, probably many times. Service was so-so. We needed to be out to go to the theater for a 7 pm performance and almost missed it due to the waitress suddenly disappearing causing difficulty getting our check. She didn't make herself available for questions or requests, thus our rating for service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for a GroupkpmulllallyVIPDined on 4/23/2014I wouldn't say this is the best food I've had or the most interesting decor, but both were in the solid good category. We had a large group and the waitress was amazing. For that reason I would go back. If you are in the area, this is a solid choice.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant in the GaslampSmallsDined on 4/18/2014Me and my husband came across Meze on Open Table and decided to give it a try and we loved it. Great ambiance, fits right in to a night in the Gaslamp District. Service was excellent. The restaurant is modern but the staff made you feel like you were dining in thier home in Greece. Our server Lizzie called us "my friends" and didn't leave us wanting for anything. The food was very delicious! We only had a couple of appetizers and shared an entree. I think I need to try more entrees to give it a higher review but what we did try was very good. Great place for some drinks and dinner with friends or as a romantic date. We will definitely be back to try more food or even just grab a drink in thier posh bar/lounge area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome great find!!JacqueVIPDined on 4/7/2014The food is made fresh and many choices. The service was the best! Andrea was superior as well as all the staff. They are all switched on and delightful! We invited a couple that lives locally andvtheybhad never been there before. They loved it and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Meze and all it had to offer!ScottyP69VIPDined on 4/4/2014Loved Meze and all it had to offer! I think we met all the staff, each equally welcoming, excited to be there and very attractive... Although, Drea shined the brightest! With wine and beer in hand... and help from Patrick on what to have ...the food started arriving. Definitely order the Saganaki... Delicious and Beautiful. As the belly dancer finished our entrees arrived...The Lamb Tenderloin was outstanding! Top the meal off with an order of Loukoumades:-). Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 80 reviews are from the Meze reviews archive.
- Food is amazingFzc8ff3Dined on 3/28/2014I ordered the kabob combo and hummus with pita bread, every bite was fantastic and the cute hostesses were good eye candy too. Great restaurant with nice artwork and lighting. Def a nice place to be DT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm going back!!imLGDined on 3/22/2014The food and service was impressive, the ambience amenable, the outdoor natural venue pleasing. Try the posole, and you'll begin to appreciate the chef's mastery of seasonings, then move on to the oxtail ragout! Mouthwatering. Suggest you finish with a sea salt Carmel gelato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meze our new downtown faverosesDined on 3/15/2014We have struggled to find a restaurant with good food and excellent service for pre-show dining. Then we found Meze! They have a great menu with lots of small plates (hence the name), a good wine list, creative cocktails and most of all a friendly and helpful staff. It's a lively spot, and good for larger parties. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need more attractive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2014Belly dancer show was to early. Gas-lamp fun night start after 9 pm & show get over by 9 pmSpecial Features:
- Service Ruined the NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Everything was great except our service (especially the hookah). The server took at least 15 minutes between requests to come back, often forgetting what we had asked for. We requested the bill ahead of time because we knew it would take some time, and still had to get up and give the credit card to someone because the server didn't come back for it. It's a wonder why we paid at all.
- Reserved a table for 9 forSouploverDined on 3/3/2014Reserved a table for 9 for a convention gathering of friends for a once a year dinner. Used ratings on Open Table, Trip Advisor and Urban Spoon to find a place with good food, vegetarian friendly, not overly loud, within walking distance of the convention center hotels, and separate checks. Meze was perfect. We loved the appetizer platter to share. We got 2 for our group. Most got the special of the day dinner, which was a mixed kebab with rice and veggies. All delish. Highly recommend this place. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can I give 6 stars?MarkVIPDined on 3/3/2014If I could give Meze 6 stars instead of 5, I would do so. I organized my team dinner here during the recent allergy meeting in San Diego, and everyone raved about not only the delicious food, but also the presentation, and even better, the wonderful service from Dre (short for Andrea I think) and Patrick (the owner of the establishment). Both were extremely attentive and made a 5 star experience 6+ stars! Highly recommend, and I will be back at least twice at my pulmonary meeting in May! Thanks again guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Rocks at Mezé!MarkVIPDined on 3/2/2014Energetic, vibrant crowd, wide variety of delicious brunch choices and bottomless mimosas make Mezé a sure bet for your weekend brunch! Patrick, the owner, makes it an extra special experience. He not only took care of us but made certain that everyone else was well taken cafe of also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to convention centerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/28/2014Convenient for Gaslamp area conference goers. Food generic, except for baba ghanoush, which was nicely smoky. Cocktails look interesting on menu but taste like overly strong bottom shelf guzzlers at your typical tourist trap bar. Bright spot was service - waitstaff attentive and friendly.
- great atmosphere & very classyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014Anything & everything was above our group expectation . Entertainment was very classy for the evening. Service & food was excellent. Great choice for Veg & non Veg food. Ambiance was very appilingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experience!!!DeliciousfoodpleasesmeDined on 2/15/2014I came here for my birthday celebration on Saturday night and it was definitely the highlight of the night. I was 30 min late due to traffic and the restaurant was still so accommodating and had the table ready when my party of 8 arrived. The food was amazing and the portions were very generous. I had the gyro wrap with fries and could barely finish half of it. There was also a belly dancer who performed and she went table to table and interacted with everybody. She had me do a birthday solo dance and then a group dance. She was awesome!! At the end of dinner, the staff surprised me with birthday dessert and sang happy birthday. It was very thoughtful and a great way to celebrate my birthday. Thank you Meze for a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Daykshorten1020Dined on 2/14/2014I picked this place because it is close to my work downtown and I love greek food, it was very good! We had a lovley date and all the food was delicious. The prices are also very reasonable too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great food..MezeDined on 2/14/2014The food was delicious. We had the hummus starter that also came wirh a spicy cheese dip. So good. Then we split two entrees, the chicken and the filet mignon. Both were cooked perfectly and had great flavor. Finished off with two desserts, the baklava and the Greek doughnuts. Both were served with vanilla ice cream and both were delicious. Service was all around good and the staff is very friendly. We had a very nice, cute Russian girl as our server which took care of us nicely. The owner also came out to see if we were pleased with everything. The ambience was also nice. We sat outside on the patio which has heat lamps to keep you comfortable. All in all, this is a must try restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day SpeciallushnightDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I visited Meze for the first time for the Valentine's Day special. This was $60 per person. It started with an appetizer of hummus, spicy feta, and pita bread. We each chose an entree and a dessert. The food was good, but even at the end I found it to be on the pricey side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks!CityGirlDined on 2/12/2014The drinks were amazing as was the food. I highly recommend the saganaki! OPA!Special Features:
- Greek Food - PlusChuckD105VIPDined on 2/12/2014A very nice time. The staff are very helpful and friendly. The food is good and fairly creative - although there is not too much that can be done with Greek food. The theme is Greek Fusion so do not expect to see all of your favorites. I very much missed a warm octopus dish and taramasalata. The biggest miss though was the absence of Greek Wine. There was one white and one red - no rose at all. This might of been fine if the rest of the list was truly distinguished but it was not - a mostly hodgepodge list of standard California wines. Meze really needs to upgrade the list.Special Features:
- Perfect and charminginloveDined on 2/1/2014We had dinner at Meze on a Saturday night before the show. It was wonderful. We were on a romantic date and it was perfect... Their special flaming appetizer was a nice touch and delicous. We had a plate of the grilled shrimp and lamb tenderloins. They were full of flavor and cooked perfectly. The wait staff was very, very friendly and helpful. They smiled and were always pleasant, helped us pick the perferct dishes, checked on us often and even gave us directions when we left. We also loved the atmosphere. The windows went to the top of the very high ceiling and gave a nice view of the street. The colors and artwork were very tasteful and gave a warm feeling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was okay, not greateattolivelivetoeatDined on 1/30/2014Our waitress was lovely and accommodating...Hummus is GREAT as were the dolmas... other stuff was okaySpecial Features: