551 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gaslampmeze.com/
- Phone: 6195465060x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:45am
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Greek
- Executive Chef: Raymond Davoudi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Family Style Catering offered for any party size.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends or working over lunch, Meze can accommodate your private party.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Coordinator 8886511490
- Entertainment: Belly Dancer Saturday evenings.
A word from Meze
We are a family-owned bar and restaurant in San Diego’s popular Gaslamp Quarter. The word “mezé” translates as “taste” – meaning both “flavor” and “a taste of something.” At Mezé Greek Fusion you’ll find both. Our menu features finely crafted regional cuisine with a California twist. It can be enjoyed as entrees in our chic high-ceilinged dining room, or in small portions as “mezé” that go exceptionally well outside on our patio with a drink, or as a bite at the bar before heading to a Padres game or a night out in the Gaslamp. On the weekends, we serve a delicious brunch with Bottomless Mimosas. Late night we recommend that you try our cocktail list and have a staff member pack a hookah for you. Come by and discover how a place can be both elegant and familiar, which is to say, Greek.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Meze reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)good for groups (22)great for outdoor dining (21)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (10)hot spot (9)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- Everyone enjoyed MezejvionasDined on 10/19/2014We went with a party of five people and everyone enjoyed what they got, so no complaints there (salmon, pasta primavera, caprese salad, gyro platter, and I can't remember the last one). Service was good, atmosphere was good. We also got the Saganaki which they light on fire before serving, which was fun. Overall very satisfactory meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Saganakiluv2dineVIPDined on 10/18/2014We started with a bottle of Greek wine (from Santorini) and the meze tzatziki. Then we had the saganaki (which our server said they were known for this). It was very good…probably the best saganaki I can remember having this side of Greece. In fact, I would go back just to have an order of saganaki. Next we shared one of their specials which was 2 mixed kabobs of lamb, shrimp, chicken & filet mignon with rice, veggies and tzatziki. We both enjoyed this very much. It's hard to say which piece was better as they were all different and very good. We finished our meal with the fried ice cream. It was good, but not my favorite thing. Overall, very good Greek food…amazing saganaki, try that if nothing else!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPortlandianDined on 10/13/2014Interesting and very tasty food, served with flare.Special Features:
- Greek FusiondinksDined on 10/11/2014Very good food and contemporary environment made for a very nice meal, even though the service was a bit slow, we were in no rush anyway.Special Features:
- A"meze"ingCLBySKGDined on 10/7/2014The "small" dishes were very generous. We had a variety of sampling, from greek fries, greek quesadilla, falafel, and spanakopita. And a great fried ice cream for dessert. Our wait person told us that Meze meant small plates. Whoa! small plates were an understatement. Each of the plates was large and splitable; more than enough for the two of us. The flavors were all outstanding and the service was great. Also, we happened to hit the "happy hour" and all of our choices were 1/2 off you can't be that. Great place, we will definitely come back when we are in the Gaslamp Area of San Diego. You gotta try this place.Special Features:
- Amazing restrauntele5mentDined on 10/3/2014Best hookah in San Diego! Friendly staff. Great food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & funGirlsweekendoutDined on 10/3/2014Amazing food and ambiance, definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefulMonCheriDined on 9/28/2014Meet co workers before a concert. The food was superb and the service was exceptional, given the large crowd. A definite gem in Downtown San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...BreezeVIPDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed the food and the service at Meze. But the restaurant was somewhat uncomfortable. Small tables, humid temperature, and poor accoustics limited our enjoyment. (Perhaps typical for the Gaslamp.) If you can handle all that, the food was quite good. The hummus was delicious. The pita bread is very light. I had the small Greek salad with chicken. It was delicious and plenty for one person. A nice wine selection, too. The waiter was very friendly and helpful.
- A Greek GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014First visit and we loved the food, service and atmosphere. Fresh and delicious upgrade on traditional Greek fare. Great small plates, between 4 adults we just ate lots of appetizer/small plates - fantastic and filling. Service was excellent and very friendly. Our orders were prompt and we highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodmuseinitiativeDined on 9/26/2014Great service- nice people. The food was great and light, just what I wanted from a greek lunch. Fantastic vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Great place for brunch!MrsDegas2412Dined on 9/14/2014They have bottomless mimosas and bloody Marys and also a fabulous brunch menu! Great place to meet up with friends!Special Features:
- A mixed bagKimberlyannaDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting from out of town, found Meze on Open Table, and decided to give it a try. When we got there, the hostess told us we "shouldn't have been able to make the reservation because they're full," but found us a table anyway (because the restaurant was not actually full). The service was extremely slow for the number of diners in the restaurant. Drinks were good and strong. Appetizers were delicious. The waiter forgot to put in one of our entrees, so the rest of us waited until it was ready to eat but by then the food was cold. Ambiance is nice, but I probably wouldn't go back or recommend it due to the lackluster service.
- Food and Dance-tastic!!SanFranciscoFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We came as a group of gals with one birthday girl on a Friday night. Eating delicious Greek food, drinking delicious drinks, and belly-dancing were exactly what we needed for our girls' night out!! Despite being very busy with many more patrons, the staff remained attentive and warm to us. Topped everything off with a huge slice of baklava, ice cream, and candle as they sang happy birthday to the birthday girl. Very memorable!! This was my second time visiting the establishment, and because my experiences remain positive and delicious I will be sure to return with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodkathyVIPDined on 9/7/2014All 9 of us left Meze thinking the food wasn't good at all. No one had anything good. The service was great though! We really appreciated her but the food just was bad. Poor quality and no flavor!
- Opa!!vrc99Dined on 8/30/2014Loved the food, service n ambiance. Totally recommend it...the food was so authentic it took me back to Greece! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vibrant locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were staying at the Kimpton hotel and Meze is right across the street, very lively place with fabulous outdoor seating, heat lamps and a fabulous view in the Gaslamp district, great for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Bruncheastvillage13Dined on 8/17/2014We had a great experience on Sunday at Meze! We had a table outside in the shade and the waitstaff was very quick with our drinks, refills and entrees. They offered us both brunch and lunch menus, so there was a variety of food options. All of our food was hot and tasty. We loved the different eggs benedict as well as the huevos rancheros. We definitely enjoyed that you could mix and match bottomless bloody marys and mimosas for only $12. The only downside was, once we finished with our food, they were much slower on the refills, and we had only been their about an hour. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Greek flareSDFoodieDined on 8/9/2014Menu has many selections, offering a lot of Greek favorites and some new ideas with Greek influence. Everything was very tasty, well presented. Portions are large, so beware when ordering! The Meze platter for two was more than enough for three of us...but everything was well prepared and delicious. Drinks are expensive!! but awesome...try the Mule or the Mai Thai. Great wine selection. Our server, Steven, was phenomenal - he went above and beyond, to the point where he held our leftovers in the fridge while we enjoyed a movie at Reading Cinemas. We returned two+ hours later to find he had packaged everything up and set it in the fridge, notifying the other staff that we'd be back to pick it up (as he was off to his OTHER job!).Special Features:
- IB13Dined on 8/2/2014Great place! We had a lot of fun there. Wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lambForrest2bDined on 7/19/2014All the dishes we had (salad, gyro plate, pita bread) were excellent, this was a great place to stumble into. There is a paid parking lot next door but it's easily walk-able from Horton Plaza. I'll be returning soon.Special Features:
- Great surprise in the GaslampOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014Meze has very solid "Greek fusion" food. The baba ghanoush is wonderfully smooth and smokey, and every dish was really good. The salmon was beautifully prepared and the "yogurt salsa" it came with very nice, as were the grilled asparagus spears. Moroccan Mule cocktail was delicious. Server was exceptionally friendly and efficient. Atmosphere was hip without being too loud, and they even have a kids' menu. But must a Middle Eastern restaurant have a bellydancer to show how "exotic" it is? Not everyone wants their meal to be interrputed every few minutes to either stare at or ignore a gyrating woman at their table - we'd rather savor the food and conversation! Otherwise, this was a really lovely place, and we'll happily return.Special Features:
- surprisedRobertDined on 7/5/2014I thought I ordered the steak and chicken combo for dinner, and I noticed it was just steak on the plate. I ate it all up, then I noticed from the bill $28 bucks for my plate and it was lamb. I was amazed at how they cooked the lamb it was very good tasted like steak, but wow for that price it was kinda steep for the lamb, but it was the best lamb I ever tasted.Special Features:
- Good experienceRegularPatronDined on 7/4/2014Very busy crowd after Padres ballgame... but server was attentive even if kitchen was backed up. Food was worth the wait.
- Fabulous Gaslamp EateryGoodNeighborVIPDined on 7/4/2014We are staying in the San Diego area for a month, and in three weeks, we have been there 5 times so far, and still more dining experiences to follow before we leave. My husband loved the Octopus salad, and we have also loved the Greek quesadilla, chicken kabob, and just about everything is wonderful. Service is great too! Portions are huge! Love this place.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 97 reviews are from the Meze reviews archive.
- Always great !!JoanVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is the most friendly and accommodating neighborhood restaurant possible. It is always a pleasure to have their terrific dishes and receive a nice welcome from everyone there. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my visit to San DiegoDwhit573Dined on 6/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised to find this wonderful gem about a two block walk from my hotel in the GasLamp district. Wonderful space, with outdoor seating with heaters. My waitress was knowledgeable on the menu and made excellent recommendations which lived up to my expectations. Plan to go back before I leave.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, loose on the serviceTdalecVIPDined on 6/8/2014Wow! That was the best gyros I've had in decades and the best falafel ever! And I've never had perfectly crisp shoestring fries covered in crumbled feta and fresh chopped parsley. Just excellent food. My companions loved the Greek salad, too. The service started out very attentive, but as the place filled up things got spotty. It took quite a while to get the check and even longer to get the check back. The decor can only be described as "hole-in-the-wall" but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Padre pre-gameGMaryDined on 6/7/2014Perfect place to eat before a b'ball game! Love that we can make a reservation and get in and out and not miss first pitch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Near Petco ParkdfranzettaVIPDined on 6/2/2014We were looking for a place to getting some good, healthy food before going to the Padres game at Petco Park. Meze was close to the park, so we gave it a try. What a great find! Nice location, terrific Greek fusion food, friendly, helpful service. Even better for us, we arrived at 5:30, and got Happy Hour 50% off prices on tapas and drinks. Highly recommend the Gyro quesadilla, Spanakopita, and Fiery Feta Mac 'n Cheese. But make sure to save room for the Baklava, It's as good as any we've ever eaten. Loved it!Special Features:
- Very satisfied!PylotgyderDined on 5/25/2014Had a graduation brunch/lunch for 7 people. The food was amazing! we ordered numerous appetizers and other dishes and ate family style. Everything was so delicious! The girls on duty were all nice and attentive to our group. I will definitely be returning to Meze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3 nights in a rowNothappyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Love this place! OOOOOPA is a must! Delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpaAceBVIPDined on 5/23/2014Great fusian Greek food. Good night spot after a baseball game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEZE' Delivers!MarkVIPDined on 5/17/2014Between the vibrant bar scene, beautiful crowd, and great food, MEZE' hits a home run everytime! Add an amazing waitstaff, on the ball and ever present owners delivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and fantastic fooddedeVIPDined on 5/13/2014The staff was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. We had the Meze Platter for lunch and ate every morsel. I asked to substitute out the hummus for the baba ghanoush. It was so good. We were visiting from San Francisco and I'm only sorry there isn't a Meze nearby.Special Features:
- The action heats up at 8pmDawnSanDiegoVIPDined on 5/10/2014From the excellent service to the lighted winged, fire- eat ing belly dancer ( not kidding!); to the delicious Greek fusion; cuisine,this place was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food marred by smokeDrKoobVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were visiting from Washington and were under the impression that you could not smoke in or NEAR a restaurant. When we arrived it was so great to be able to eat outdoors that when offered a table on the patio we grabbed it. We weren't alone. Four guys with two hookas and Sherman cigarettes smoked through our entire meal. In Washington, you can smoke within 30 yards of a restaurant so we were shocked you could in California. Had a great octopus salad to start, some Greek nachos as my entree. My bride had the special which was a very nice sea bass. We left without dessert as the smoke only got worse.
- meze is worth visitingmarknezDined on 4/24/2014We got there at the end of happy hour and were able to take advantage of the happy hour 1/2 price specials,which were wonderful and filling. Our companions ate from the full price menu and we were almost sorry to miss the great foods there. We will return for those, probably many times. Service was so-so. We needed to be out to go to the theater for a 7 pm performance and almost missed it due to the waitress suddenly disappearing causing difficulty getting our check. She didn't make herself available for questions or requests, thus our rating for service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for a GroupkpmulllallyVIPDined on 4/23/2014I wouldn't say this is the best food I've had or the most interesting decor, but both were in the solid good category. We had a large group and the waitress was amazing. For that reason I would go back. If you are in the area, this is a solid choice.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant in the GaslampSmallsDined on 4/18/2014Me and my husband came across Meze on Open Table and decided to give it a try and we loved it. Great ambiance, fits right in to a night in the Gaslamp District. Service was excellent. The restaurant is modern but the staff made you feel like you were dining in thier home in Greece. Our server Lizzie called us "my friends" and didn't leave us wanting for anything. The food was very delicious! We only had a couple of appetizers and shared an entree. I think I need to try more entrees to give it a higher review but what we did try was very good. Great place for some drinks and dinner with friends or as a romantic date. We will definitely be back to try more food or even just grab a drink in thier posh bar/lounge area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.