551 J Street
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gaslampmeze.com/
- Phone: (619) 546-5060
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:45am
Saturday - Sunday: 9:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Global, International, Greek
- Executive Chef: Raymond Davoudi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Family Style Catering offered for any party size.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends or working over lunch, Meze can accommodate your private party.
- Private Party Contact: Private Dining Coordinator 8886511490
- Entertainment: Belly Dancer Saturday evenings.
A word from Meze
We are a family-owned bar and restaurant in San Diego’s popular Gaslamp Quarter. The word “mezé” translates as “taste” – meaning both “flavor” and “a taste of something.” At Mezé Greek Fusion you’ll find both. Our menu features finely crafted regional cuisine with a California twist. It can be enjoyed as entrees in our chic high-ceilinged dining room, or in small portions as “mezé” that go exceptionally well outside on our patio with a drink, or as a bite at the bar before heading to a Padres game or a night out in the Gaslamp. On the weekends, we serve a delicious brunch with Bottomless Mimosas. Late night we recommend that you try our cocktail list and have a staff member pack a hookah for you. Come by and discover how a place can be both elegant and familiar, which is to say, Greek.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Meze reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (25)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (12)romantic (12)special occasion (10)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Two visits in 4 days with groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014I was in town for 4 days with a conference and organized a group dinner on the first night at Meze. The experience was so positive that I took another group there on the last night. The food is quite good, the ambiance is nice (although a bit too loud when the belly dancer showed up), the prices are reasonable, and they split our check without any complaints. The next time I'm in SD I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mainly averagePitadogDined on 11/14/2014Food didn't live up to the reviews. Good size portions but average tasting. Babaganoush was tasty, but sliders had little taste.
- Meze was outstandingSannieDined on 11/9/2014Loved Meza - food, drink and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, wish I lived closer.RIckVIPDined on 11/8/2014We had an amazing meal and our server Lizzie was fantastic. We live in the Coachella Valley and wished we were closer to this restaurant for we would come twice a month if not more. The food was fresh, homemade and all around great! Bottom line, the service by Lizzie was top notch and the food exceeded our expectations!!!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/3/2014Once construction is done outside of building next door it'll be even better. Great service.Special Features:
- Yummy Food + Great Service!ChicchickVIPDined on 10/28/2014I had a conference in downtown San Diego and found this restaurant on Open Table near my hotel. I love Greek and so decided to walk over. I ordered the Falafel and the Dorma (grape leaves). The falafel was good thought not particularly special. The grape leaves were really large and different from the smaller grape leaves you usually get in Mediterranean restaurants... so it was a bit hard to eat but still very good. The Dorma leaves were a bit old but rice was very moist and perfectly soft. I loved how much hot pita bread they gave each table. All the sauces were also very tasty and good. My waitress and the other wait staff were incredibly friendly and enthusiastic about the food so that was fun. Overall a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Great the 2nd day in a rowLauraLVIPDined on 10/28/2014We had gone to Meze for dinner the night before and enjoyed it...but sometimes you fall in love with a restaurant and the next time you go things don't live up to your memory of the first experience you had. We decided to go again for lunch - and once again all three of the people in our party really loved everything we ordered (we each ordered something different than we had at dinner the night before). The food and seasonings are really great - and we will definitely try Meze again whenever we're in San Diego!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was the Star!LauraLVIPDined on 10/27/2014Meze describes itself as "greek fusion"...and although a lot of the items seem to be somewhat traditional Greek dishes - the flavors were incredible! We had three people in our party - everyone ordered something different and we all loved every item we ordered! Will definitely go there again when we're in San Diego! (I wish all restaurants we try were this satisfying!!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TablehopperRickspicksDined on 10/27/2014What a great find in downtown San Diego. My friend is Greek and I asked him how the food compared with the authentic cooking he is used to. He loved it and so did everyone at the table. The Tapas style menu allowed us to try a large variety of things including the lamb kabob, greek salad, dips, Octopus salad and the fried cheese appetizer that I can't pronounce. Excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone enjoyed MezejvionasDined on 10/19/2014We went with a party of five people and everyone enjoyed what they got, so no complaints there (salmon, pasta primavera, caprese salad, gyro platter, and I can't remember the last one). Service was good, atmosphere was good. We also got the Saganaki which they light on fire before serving, which was fun. Overall very satisfactory meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Saganakiluv2dineVIPDined on 10/18/2014We started with a bottle of Greek wine (from Santorini) and the meze tzatziki. Then we had the saganaki (which our server said they were known for this). It was very good…probably the best saganaki I can remember having this side of Greece. In fact, I would go back just to have an order of saganaki. Next we shared one of their specials which was 2 mixed kabobs of lamb, shrimp, chicken & filet mignon with rice, veggies and tzatziki. We both enjoyed this very much. It's hard to say which piece was better as they were all different and very good. We finished our meal with the fried ice cream. It was good, but not my favorite thing. Overall, very good Greek food…amazing saganaki, try that if nothing else!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPortlandianDined on 10/13/2014Interesting and very tasty food, served with flare.Special Features:
- Greek FusiondinksDined on 10/11/2014Very good food and contemporary environment made for a very nice meal, even though the service was a bit slow, we were in no rush anyway.Special Features:
- A"meze"ingCLBySKGDined on 10/7/2014The "small" dishes were very generous. We had a variety of sampling, from greek fries, greek quesadilla, falafel, and spanakopita. And a great fried ice cream for dessert. Our wait person told us that Meze meant small plates. Whoa! small plates were an understatement. Each of the plates was large and splitable; more than enough for the two of us. The flavors were all outstanding and the service was great. Also, we happened to hit the "happy hour" and all of our choices were 1/2 off you can't be that. Great place, we will definitely come back when we are in the Gaslamp Area of San Diego. You gotta try this place.Special Features:
- Amazing restrauntele5mentDined on 10/3/2014Best hookah in San Diego! Friendly staff. Great food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & funGirlsweekendoutDined on 10/3/2014Amazing food and ambiance, definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefulMonCheriDined on 9/28/2014Meet co workers before a concert. The food was superb and the service was exceptional, given the large crowd. A definite gem in Downtown San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...BreezeVIPDined on 9/28/2014We enjoyed the food and the service at Meze. But the restaurant was somewhat uncomfortable. Small tables, humid temperature, and poor accoustics limited our enjoyment. (Perhaps typical for the Gaslamp.) If you can handle all that, the food was quite good. The hummus was delicious. The pita bread is very light. I had the small Greek salad with chicken. It was delicious and plenty for one person. A nice wine selection, too. The waiter was very friendly and helpful.
- A Greek GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014First visit and we loved the food, service and atmosphere. Fresh and delicious upgrade on traditional Greek fare. Great small plates, between 4 adults we just ate lots of appetizer/small plates - fantastic and filling. Service was excellent and very friendly. Our orders were prompt and we highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodmuseinitiativeDined on 9/26/2014Great service- nice people. The food was great and light, just what I wanted from a greek lunch. Fantastic vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Great place for brunch!MrsDegas2412Dined on 9/14/2014They have bottomless mimosas and bloody Marys and also a fabulous brunch menu! Great place to meet up with friends!Special Features:
- A mixed bagKimberlyannaDined on 9/13/2014We were visiting from out of town, found Meze on Open Table, and decided to give it a try. When we got there, the hostess told us we "shouldn't have been able to make the reservation because they're full," but found us a table anyway (because the restaurant was not actually full). The service was extremely slow for the number of diners in the restaurant. Drinks were good and strong. Appetizers were delicious. The waiter forgot to put in one of our entrees, so the rest of us waited until it was ready to eat but by then the food was cold. Ambiance is nice, but I probably wouldn't go back or recommend it due to the lackluster service.
- Food and Dance-tastic!!SanFranciscoFoodieDined on 9/12/2014We came as a group of gals with one birthday girl on a Friday night. Eating delicious Greek food, drinking delicious drinks, and belly-dancing were exactly what we needed for our girls' night out!! Despite being very busy with many more patrons, the staff remained attentive and warm to us. Topped everything off with a huge slice of baklava, ice cream, and candle as they sang happy birthday to the birthday girl. Very memorable!! This was my second time visiting the establishment, and because my experiences remain positive and delicious I will be sure to return with more friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad foodkathyVIPDined on 9/7/2014All 9 of us left Meze thinking the food wasn't good at all. No one had anything good. The service was great though! We really appreciated her but the food just was bad. Poor quality and no flavor!
- Opa!!vrc99Dined on 8/30/2014Loved the food, service n ambiance. Totally recommend it...the food was so authentic it took me back to Greece! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vibrant locationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014We were staying at the Kimpton hotel and Meze is right across the street, very lively place with fabulous outdoor seating, heat lamps and a fabulous view in the Gaslamp district, great for people watching.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Bruncheastvillage13Dined on 8/17/2014We had a great experience on Sunday at Meze! We had a table outside in the shade and the waitstaff was very quick with our drinks, refills and entrees. They offered us both brunch and lunch menus, so there was a variety of food options. All of our food was hot and tasty. We loved the different eggs benedict as well as the huevos rancheros. We definitely enjoyed that you could mix and match bottomless bloody marys and mimosas for only $12. The only downside was, once we finished with our food, they were much slower on the refills, and we had only been their about an hour. Overall a great experience!Special Features:
- Greek flareSDFoodieDined on 8/9/2014Menu has many selections, offering a lot of Greek favorites and some new ideas with Greek influence. Everything was very tasty, well presented. Portions are large, so beware when ordering! The Meze platter for two was more than enough for three of us...but everything was well prepared and delicious. Drinks are expensive!! but awesome...try the Mule or the Mai Thai. Great wine selection. Our server, Steven, was phenomenal - he went above and beyond, to the point where he held our leftovers in the fridge while we enjoyed a movie at Reading Cinemas. We returned two+ hours later to find he had packaged everything up and set it in the fridge, notifying the other staff that we'd be back to pick it up (as he was off to his OTHER job!).Special Features:
- IB13Dined on 8/2/2014Great place! We had a lot of fun there. Wonderful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Meze reviews archive.
- Excellent lambForrest2bDined on 7/19/2014All the dishes we had (salad, gyro plate, pita bread) were excellent, this was a great place to stumble into. There is a paid parking lot next door but it's easily walk-able from Horton Plaza. I'll be returning soon.Special Features:
- Great surprise in the GaslampDrFoodieVIPDined on 7/11/2014Meze has very solid "Greek fusion" food. The baba ghanoush is wonderfully smooth and smokey, and every dish was really good. The salmon was beautifully prepared and the "yogurt salsa" it came with very nice, as were the grilled asparagus spears. Moroccan Mule cocktail was delicious. Server was exceptionally friendly and efficient. Atmosphere was hip without being too loud, and they even have a kids' menu. But must a Middle Eastern restaurant have a bellydancer to show how "exotic" it is? Not everyone wants their meal to be interrputed every few minutes to either stare at or ignore a gyrating woman at their table - we'd rather savor the food and conversation! Otherwise, this was a really lovely place, and we'll happily return.Special Features:
- surprisedRobertDined on 7/5/2014I thought I ordered the steak and chicken combo for dinner, and I noticed it was just steak on the plate. I ate it all up, then I noticed from the bill $28 bucks for my plate and it was lamb. I was amazed at how they cooked the lamb it was very good tasted like steak, but wow for that price it was kinda steep for the lamb, but it was the best lamb I ever tasted.Special Features:
- Good experienceRegularPatronDined on 7/4/2014Very busy crowd after Padres ballgame... but server was attentive even if kitchen was backed up. Food was worth the wait.
- Fabulous Gaslamp EateryGoodNeighborVIPDined on 7/4/2014We are staying in the San Diego area for a month, and in three weeks, we have been there 5 times so far, and still more dining experiences to follow before we leave. My husband loved the Octopus salad, and we have also loved the Greek quesadilla, chicken kabob, and just about everything is wonderful. Service is great too! Portions are huge! Love this place.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great !!JoanVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is the most friendly and accommodating neighborhood restaurant possible. It is always a pleasure to have their terrific dishes and receive a nice welcome from everyone there. Joan and PeterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On my visit to San DiegoDwhit573Dined on 6/15/2014I was pleasantly surprised to find this wonderful gem about a two block walk from my hotel in the GasLamp district. Wonderful space, with outdoor seating with heaters. My waitress was knowledgeable on the menu and made excellent recommendations which lived up to my expectations. Plan to go back before I leave.Special Features:
- Fabulous food, loose on the serviceTdalecVIPDined on 6/8/2014Wow! That was the best gyros I've had in decades and the best falafel ever! And I've never had perfectly crisp shoestring fries covered in crumbled feta and fresh chopped parsley. Just excellent food. My companions loved the Greek salad, too. The service started out very attentive, but as the place filled up things got spotty. It took quite a while to get the check and even longer to get the check back. The decor can only be described as "hole-in-the-wall" but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Padre pre-gameGMaryDined on 6/7/2014Perfect place to eat before a b'ball game! Love that we can make a reservation and get in and out and not miss first pitch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Near Petco ParkdfranzettaVIPDined on 6/2/2014We were looking for a place to getting some good, healthy food before going to the Padres game at Petco Park. Meze was close to the park, so we gave it a try. What a great find! Nice location, terrific Greek fusion food, friendly, helpful service. Even better for us, we arrived at 5:30, and got Happy Hour 50% off prices on tapas and drinks. Highly recommend the Gyro quesadilla, Spanakopita, and Fiery Feta Mac 'n Cheese. But make sure to save room for the Baklava, It's as good as any we've ever eaten. Loved it!Special Features:
- Very satisfied!PylotgyderDined on 5/25/2014Had a graduation brunch/lunch for 7 people. The food was amazing! we ordered numerous appetizers and other dishes and ate family style. Everything was so delicious! The girls on duty were all nice and attentive to our group. I will definitely be returning to Meze.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.