3230 E. Colfax
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mezcalcolorado.com/
- Phone: 3033225219
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Roberto Diaz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Mezcal is located at 3230 E. Colfax. Open M- F 11am - 2am / Sat & Sun 10am - 2am - KITCHEN OPEN UNTIL 1AM EVERY NIGHT! Happy Hour specials: M-Sat 4-6pm and Sunday 3-6pm: $4.50 mojitos, $5 house margaritas, $2.00 PBR, $3.00 Tecate, $3 well drinks. M-Sat 10-midnight: $1 Tacos, $3 well drinks, $2.00 PBR, $3.00 Tecate, $5.50 Flora de Cana mojitos, + enjoy some margarita and tequila specials during happy hour every night of the week!
- Special Events: Kill Cupid dinner special Feb. 12th, 13th, & 14th Come in and enjoy this on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night. We are offering a three course dinner with a Gran Centenario margarita for two for $39.95 or $24.95 for one. Make your reservations now!
A word from Mezcal Denver
Mezcal is an authentic Mexican taqueria and cantina serving home-style Mexican food, fresh lime Margaritas and over 100 Tequilas and Mezcals. The restaurant’s award-winning house Margarita is made with 30-30 100% Agave silver. Mezcal’s warm décor, with Moroccan lamps and Mexican wrestling posters, embraces both traditional and popular elements of Mexican culture. The menu features familiar favorites like tacos and tamales, as well as lesser known dishes like pozole and a savory lamb barbacoa. Chef Robert Diaz’s kitchen offers up many dishes that reflect his native Chihuahua roots while others are regional staples that draw upon the varied culinary traditions of old Mexico. Tequila tastings, special dinners, and offbeat celebrations of holidays from north and south of the border ensure that the next party is just around the corner. WESTWORD: BEST TACO, 2005! WESTWORD: BEST BAR FOOD, 2005! WESTWORD: BEST TEQUILA AMBASSADOR, 2005! ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS: TOP MARGARITA, 2005!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezcal Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great place for a Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2011Great place for a Happy Hour drink. My mojito was wonderful and they have a great selection of tequilas. But all of our meals were so so and my "crispy" calamari salad was more like a "chewy" calamari salad and the calamari seemed to come from frozen prepackaged and over cooked. The spicy aioli on it was good though. I'd say go here for some great drinks and appetizers and skip the meal.Special Features:
- Pretty good food marred byOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2011Pretty good food marred by terrible service and a very loud place, even when there were few other people. The server seemed totally occupied with the computer at her station and hardly ever looked up. It took us nearly two hours to get a meal, most of it was waiting on our waitress. The place has the acoustics of a racquetball court.
- Some of the best most authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2011Some of the best most authentic Mexican food around.Special Features:
- Probably not the best placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/26/2011Probably not the best place to dine with kids but I don't think it's their target market anyway. That being said, food was marginal (steak burrito was very bland) although the chicken enchilada was good. Waiter was not good, didn't check in with us after food was served, took forever to bring the check and run the credit card.Special Features:
- Simply amazing food, amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/26/2011Simply amazing food, amazing margaritas. I love this place!Special Features:
- I have always loved Mezcal.BettyDined on 5/5/2011I have always loved Mezcal. Multiple New Year's eve and Birthday's spent here. It was great to have a reservation on Cinco de Mayo. We had a wonderful time and will of course be back for more.Special Features:
- The food was fabulous andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/29/2011The food was fabulous and I would definately go there again when I want authentic mexican food. We were celebrating a birthday and it was too noisy for what we wanted.Special Features:
- The food was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2011The food was outstanding and our waitress was very knowledgeable and made several excellent recommendations.Special Features:
- I've been going to MezcalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/5/2011I've been going to Mezcal since they opened their doors. They have changed up their menu slightly and my favorite was actually better before. I still love the place and I will go back and there is nothing wrong with experimenting with the menu. However, if they are going to do a cut chicken breast in place of the roasted chicken that use to be presented with the Mole Rojo - it needs to be a lot more tender. All of the sauces are good (Salsas, mole, enchilada, etc) and they have expanded to 3 on the table now. They also offer a wide variety of specialty drinks worth trying.Special Features:
- The guac and margs were good.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2011The guac and margs were good. The rest of the food was not impressive. The server gave good recommendations, but wasn't very attentive to water glasses being empty, clearing the table or leaving the check in a timely manner.
- The menu looked delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2011The menu looked delicious, but we had the unique valentine's special, which was interesting and delightful.Special Features:
- Wonderful four course andEaster14Dined on 12/31/2010Wonderful four course and tequila pairing. The chipotle cream lobster raviolis were a savory palate tingling array of creamy bliss. The slow roasted short ribs off the bone were a tender, mouth watering fusion of flavors. Excellent smooth tequilas that complimented each course.Special Features:
- The booths need replacing...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2010The booths need replacing... I had to sit in a hole the whole night and it really took away from the meal... left very unhappy and sore!Special Features:
- This restaurant has an extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2010This restaurant has an extremely creative and talented chef. The 4 course tequila dinner we attended was outstanding. The combination of flavors was exquisite!
- Mezcal has awesome tequilaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/26/2010Mezcal has awesome tequila dinners that should not be missed. They serve 4 fabulous courses at an awesome price that come with the sponsoring tequila vendor's selections that are carefully paired with each course. Most dishes are designed for the tasting and not offered on the normal menu. The dinners are fun and informative and even if you aren't a lover of tequila the food alone is worth it. We will be back!Special Features:
- The service was great butMicheleDined on 7/16/2010The service was great but the food pretty blah. Everything we ordered was covered in a red sauce, and we were never asked if we might like green chili, so I don't even know if it is on the menu.Special Features:
- We visited the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2010We visited the restaurant for brunch on Mothers Day with my in laws and our three year old daughter. It was a perfect, casual spot with excellent margaritas and good Mexican fare. Geat older building on Colfax and decor was fun and eclectic.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/7/2010Great neighborhood Mexican restaurant. Pretty much standard fare, but fortunately without loads of yellow cheese or red sauce. We enjoyed our early dinner, but might have wished for more comfortable seating.Special Features:
- Food: Went downhill. Mom &OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/29/2010Food: Went downhill. Mom & Pops places still better. I know, I cook Mex. From this Gringo!Special Features:
- The only down side to MezcalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/24/2010The only down side to Mezcal is that the service is really inconsistent and too many times it is down right bad. Wish they could have better service and then it would be an excellent place!
- Great Food & Great Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/18/2010Great Food & Great Service. Especially enjoyed the fish tacos.Special Features:
- Third time at this restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/17/2010Third time at this restaurant, and my last. All the other times I thought I just order the wrong entree. Food had little flavor. The menu doesn't inspire me. The waiter was unattentive and seemed bored. I consider this a strike out place. Will not return.
- The restaurant has a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/2010The restaurant has a very fun energy, but very bad food. Go for a couple of good margaritas, chips and salsa. Eat dinner elsewhere.Special Features:
- Broke out of my normal routineRestaurantBoyVIPDined on 4/3/2010Broke out of my normal routine and tried the chicken mole, which the server told us had recently been tweaked (the recipe). It was outstanding - would recommend it highly. Also, the Tampiquena steak is an authentic gem on the menu.Special Features:
- Overpriced pretentious tex/mex.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/12/2010Overpriced pretentious tex/mex. An attempt at a certain kitsch/cool atmosphere only amplifies the run down, shabby, and slapdash service and food. Colfax renaissance cool has certainly eclipsed this place; try anything within 6 blocks, it will be a lot more interesting.Special Features:
- The mahi mahi dish was fabulous,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/6/2010The mahi mahi dish was fabulous, as were the salsa and guacamole. We loved trying a couple of the tequilas that were new to us. The service was very good and the atmosphere was friendly. We'll be back.Special Features:
- I had a great dinner in DecemberOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/19/2009I had a great dinner in December 2009 and found the food and service second to none. Will dine at Mezcal again soon.Special Features:
- Service and staff were great!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2009Service and staff were great! The place got hopping by 8pm on a Friday night with a full bar crowd. However, the food was hit or miss. The special Albondigas (meatball) appetizer on a bed of thick chili sauce was spicey and special! Yum! The Tamal plate much less appealing. The tamales were lacking any punch, with only a moderate amount of pork inside. The red splash painted over them tasted more like tomato sauce straight from a Contadina can. Served with a side of black beans and rice it could have passed for Taco Bell. Then came the carne asada tacos. Those were good! Charred pieces of tasty, slightly sour bits of steak, still juicy, were a joy to eat! For dessert, less inspired Sopapillas. Flat and not at all the puffy gems I like.Special Features:
- As always Mezcal didn't disapoint.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/8/2009As always Mezcal didn't disapoint. My US friend had arrived from Geneva and was craving Mexican food and we needed to be close to Capital Hill, so Mezcal it was. Good food - service good and accomodating to her wanting to trade out on a combo selection. Margarita's fresh as always. Will be back - probably pre-BlueBird show.Special Features:
- Our group of 6 had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2009Our group of 6 had a great dining experience at MezCal, in a fun relaxed atmosphere reminiscent of authentic Mexico restaurants. The waitstaff was very attentive and friendly! The fish tacos were delicious (and grilled, not breaded like everywhere else), and the #2 was popular with several in our group. Oh, and we all loved the tomatillo sauce that was brought out with tortilla chips before our meal - yum! Next time, we would take advantage of the outdoor seating on a nice summer evening.Special Features:
- I love this place. The menuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/11/2009I love this place. The menu is varied and they are willing to accommodate special requests. The service is always friendly and outstanding. Only thing to be aware of is they allow smoking on the patio so ask to be seated away from the windows if you don't like smoke. They have the windows open on nice days and the smoke can blow it. If you are a veggie lover, the veggie burrito is wonderful.Special Features:
- We had a very relaxing Mother'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2009We had a very relaxing Mother's Day Brunch. The waiter was great. Very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- I took my mother to MezcalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2009I took my mother to Mezcal for Cinco de Mayo and we had a good experience. While the noise level was very loud and our waiter seemed rushed, the food was better than I'd expected and I felt comfortable with choosing this location for dinner. Mezcal has great happy hour prices and plates are big enough to split between two people with smaller appetities.
- The food was good and ourHudsonsDined on 4/24/2009The food was good and our server was attentive and knowledgeable. The music they were playing was very loud, however; difficult to carry out a conversation across from one another!Special Features:
- There is a female server withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2009There is a female server with a neck tatoo (just as an identifier not as a judgement) who was absolutely the worst server I've ever had. It was as if our party was an imposition to her. Besides her incredibly rude attitude, the food was great and the rest of the staff was very pleasant. My advice if you get this server is to ask for someone else, she will ruin your meal.
- It's a fun place to go withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/13/2009It's a fun place to go with friends. The food was very flavorful and the decor was fitting. The Grapefruit Mojito was just like a taste of summer as our server suggested. There were five of us there, and we each enjoyed the different meals we ordered. The combo plates are a great place to start to sample a little variety of what they offer.Special Features:
- Good food, very good service,RestaurantBoyVIPDined on 3/7/2009Good food, very good service, excellent coin style margaritas (unbelievably, most Mexican restaurants in town don't do them).Special Features:
- Our food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/20/2009Our food was delicious and we love the tequila selection.
- The pork was overcooked andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/20/2009The pork was overcooked and dry. Too much sauce on the chile rellenos...too doughy. Had to request tortillas 5 times before we got them. Only about 12 chips in basket...Bottom half of chip basket was crumbs Great potential, but food was lacking
- Great food and my girlfriendOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009Great food and my girlfriend and I really enjoyed our valentine's dinner, our first. I would recomend Mezcal to friends and family a great experience.Special Features: