3230 E. Colfax
Denver, CO 80206Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mezcalcolorado.com/
- Phone: 3033225219
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Roberto Diaz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Mezcal is located at 3230 E. Colfax. Open M- F 11am - 2am / Sat & Sun 10am - 2am - KITCHEN OPEN UNTIL 1AM EVERY NIGHT! Happy Hour specials: M-Sat 4-6pm and Sunday 3-6pm: $4.50 mojitos, $5 house margaritas, $2.00 PBR, $3.00 Tecate, $3 well drinks. M-Sat 10-midnight: $1 Tacos, $3 well drinks, $2.00 PBR, $3.00 Tecate, $5.50 Flora de Cana mojitos, + enjoy some margarita and tequila specials during happy hour every night of the week!
- Special Events: Kill Cupid dinner special Feb. 12th, 13th, & 14th Come in and enjoy this on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday night. We are offering a three course dinner with a Gran Centenario margarita for two for $39.95 or $24.95 for one. Make your reservations now!
A word from Mezcal Denver
Mezcal is an authentic Mexican taqueria and cantina serving home-style Mexican food, fresh lime Margaritas and over 100 Tequilas and Mezcals. The restaurant’s award-winning house Margarita is made with 30-30 100% Agave silver. Mezcal’s warm décor, with Moroccan lamps and Mexican wrestling posters, embraces both traditional and popular elements of Mexican culture. The menu features familiar favorites like tacos and tamales, as well as lesser known dishes like pozole and a savory lamb barbacoa. Chef Robert Diaz’s kitchen offers up many dishes that reflect his native Chihuahua roots while others are regional staples that draw upon the varied culinary traditions of old Mexico. Tequila tastings, special dinners, and offbeat celebrations of holidays from north and south of the border ensure that the next party is just around the corner. WESTWORD: BEST TACO, 2005! WESTWORD: BEST BAR FOOD, 2005! WESTWORD: BEST TEQUILA AMBASSADOR, 2005! ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS: TOP MARGARITA, 2005!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezcal Denver reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (1)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Gluten-free options & best moleOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014Prompt, attentive service, and mole sauce is some of the best in town. Short rib was tasty, polenta mashed potatoes were a nice twist on standard mashers. Must try mezcal on menu, nice selection.Special Features:
- New Item on Menu - New CustomerMikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014We (there was 4 of us) went to Mezcal for supper and they had a special that night, short ribs, that were out of this world. Found out that they are adding this new dish to the Menu. Will be back to try again along with some of the other dishes that looked great.Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Mezcal Denver reviews archive.
- Nothing SpecialilovefoodDined on 6/14/2014The service was poor. If you sit outside you get all the smoke from the people smoking outside the bar next door. The drinks were not strong. The chicken burrito was good as was the guacamole. The price, variety, and flavor was comparable with any other Mexican restaurant in town. I would not go out of my way to visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014We love Mezcal!! The salmon as well as the pork belly are fabulous! Oh, and the jalapeño infused margarita - yum! It's so festive at Christmas time, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The food was good, good portions. the later we were there the noisier it got. Pretty loud form the bar area. Super convenient to the Blue Bird, where we were seeing a concertSpecial Features:
- DisappointingLoveToDineDined on 5/5/2014First of all this is a Mexican restaurant that charges for chips and salsa! Service was incredibly slow and we didn't receive everything we ordered, only the entrees and drinks. My wife and I have given this restaurant two chances and have walked out disappointed both times. It's a fun, vibrant scene, but the service and average Mexican food are a let down. You can find better Mexican restaurants in Denver.Special Features:
- Way too loudcm0728VIPDined on 3/22/2014I had high expectations for this place, as I heard great things. The food was delicious- I had the fajitas. Unfortunately it was SO dreadfully loud and crowded, I left with a terrible migraine and a sour taste in my mouth after this experience. I will not be returning- there is nothing pleasant about having to literally scream at your date across the table in order to communicate.
- Girls Birthday DinnerJenkgiantDined on 3/22/2014I made a reservation for our group of 8 well ahead of time for Saturday night at 7:45p as I know this is a popular place for Bluebird show goers. Some of us arrived at 7:30 and I think we were seated ahead of our actual reservation time. Several of us noted the food can be hit or miss here but it was a hit this evening and we were also happy with the service, especially for our large group size. We were disappointed to hear the "Skinny" Margaritas line has been discontinued. The thin and salty chips are always great here and the red salsa was amazing. The guacamole and fundito with soyriso were also good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos and Tequiladagunk1787Dined on 3/22/2014We had a great experience from start to finish. The chorizo queso was much better than elsewhere. The margaritas, made with real lime (!) were really good, and we followed with a flight of Tequilas (I highly recommend, it's a great way to taste different ones and differences between them). We also had, bascially, a flight of tacos--shrimp, fish, carnita, and pork belly, and they all were outstanding (pork belly probably being the favorite). At our server's recommendation we had the caramel crepes for desert, which were also really good. Service was excellent, prompt, knowledgable and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very, VERY sour margaritas,ExcellentVIPDined on 3/22/2014Very, VERY sour margaritas, and I know margaritas. And that was two of the most expensive ones, the Diamond Coin and the Golden. Finally I bought the La Original and added a shot of Cointreau and that was good. I had the Tampaquena and the skirt steak was good, but the mole on the enchilada was a lot too sweet for my taste. Also, we had two salsas, the habanero-pineapple which was very good and then the red which has chipotle, which I cannot stand. So, basically everything I didn't like about this place was personal taste. so if you don't like sour margaritas or chipotle, then this review is for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This will become a favorite placeLunaYSolDined on 3/21/2014We are new to Denver and a neighbor recommended Mezcal. The food and service was great! Excited to find a fun place to go out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Takes me back to MexicosuzramseyDined on 3/2/2014Recently back from a back country trip to Mexico, we needed a fix of authentic Mexican food and we found it at Mezcal. From the mole to the smooth mezcal and vintage Mexican movie posters, Mezcal satisfied our hungers. Even great for vegetarians with the Soyrizo meat alternative. Parking is a little tight on the neighborhood side streets. Wait staff was friendly and informative. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- So Very YummyForFamilyDined on 2/28/2014We were going to a show at the BlueBird and decided to stop in here first. While the food is a play on typical denver mexican, it was suprising good and different. The prices are reasonable and the staff was amazing. Keep in mind though that on a Friday or Saturday night you get the young concert crowd at the bar, they do have plenty of table seatig though in the dinning areas. If you want you meal to surprise you, please go here. Out of a group of 10 people there wasn't a single one of us who didn't like there meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood restaurantRODODined on 1/26/2014Food is average for Mexican food in Denver. Similar to East Coast Mexican food.Special Features:
- Great Hip Atmosphere, Good FoodElDavoDined on 1/12/2014I love Mezcal for how it makes me feel. It's a friendly, vibrant, wonderful place to go for an informal dinner. Its fantastic decor -- Mexican wrestling mask-style kitsch -- is both fun and interesting, and the food never disappoints. I'd say this is one of the three or four restaurants I most enjoy in Denver. Not fancy, not expensive, not homey or shopworn....interesting, happy, lively, wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborhoodChescoDined on 12/31/2013Mezcal is a great neighborhood place. Although we don`t live here we do come because of the feel. There are tables outside when weather permits, to sit & watch Colfax, sip a marg. or ??? Nice not so run of the mill Mex. food, good drinks, festive atmosphere all add up to a worthwhile trip there.Special Features:
- Grumpy, disinterested waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/23/2013Dined here on Mon, Dec 23. Restaurant was not full but our waiter seemed in a hurry and barely listened to our order which resulted in one of our party not getting what they ordered. When we called the waiter over to inform him of the incorrect entree (he never came by to ask how everything was), he admitted the mistake, grabbed the plate and in the process dropped the knife into the salsa which splashed all over me. Never said he was sorry. Food is good but the wait staff could use some improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What was I thinking?OnetimeonlyDined on 10/25/2013Too noisy, lousy wait service, good guacamole, and below average food. Too expensive for the poor service and below average food selection. Sorry I came in and so sorry, I won't be back. Ever! Again, too fricking loud, the music.
- Great for margarita nightClc9860Dined on 10/19/2013Great for a casual, easy night out for margaritas and reliably good food. Also, the vegetarian menu is fantastic, and very much appreciated.Special Features:
- Great spot before Bluebird showcmb2013Dined on 10/19/2013Our waiter, Michael, was excellent. Very impressive. Food was good, fast and had good spicy heat. We had a nice dinner before heading to a show at the Bluebird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mid-week escapeSirEatsaLottDined on 10/9/2013This was a great place mid-week to have a group celebration. Prices are very reasonable. Overall a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine & unpretentious, inexpensivDocSlovakDined on 7/13/2013Genuine & unpretentious, inexpensive, intelligent margaritas well-made, service that doesn't mind learning something about their customers. Normal people, and some colorful people, enjoying good food, good drink and good service. Perfect antidote to Cherry Creek. If you don't know the joy of mole, try the Tampiquena. If you appreciate good mole, even better reason to try the Tampiquena. Margaritas fresh and competent. Sopapillas for grown-ups. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The last few times we wereElizaVIPDined on 3/15/2013The last few times we were at Mezcal, we weren't as impressed as we had been when they first opened, but they seem to be back on track. My husband loved the pork belly tacos, my posole was quite good. Service was very friendly and efficient. Glad to have some good Mexican food in the neighborhood again!Special Features:
- do it!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Supah cool place went with my date waiter was legitSpecial Features:
- Didn't have a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2013Didn't have a great experience at Mezcal. After being seated, service was slow. The order for one person was totally forgotten, the when their food finally arrived, the steak was extremely undercooked. No attempt to remedy the situation was made. I'd be skeptical about referring Mezcal to my friends.
- MmmmmFoodHopperVIPDined on 1/20/2013This was a great place to have a good dinner and drinks.Special Features:
- Been there several times -OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/19/2013Been there several times - casual funky environment with consistently good food.Special Features:
- Pork Belly Tacos!JohnPaulDined on 12/26/2012Excellent meal -- pork belly tacos and posole were terrific. Pumpkin jalapeno flan different and pretty good. Margaritas and tequila excellent as always.
- This used to be one of myOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/30/2012This used to be one of my favorite restaurants. But sadly it has gone down hill. The prices have gone up and the food has gone downhill. Fortunately the tequila is still good and so are the drinks. Also the service is still great, I just wish the food wasn't going downhill. I was also upset that they reported me as a no-show on Open Table and I had to file a dispute to get the credit.
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2012This place has the right idea, but is overpriced. Coming from California, I'm not opposed to paying top dollar for a gourmet Mexican meal. Unfortunately, the food here was mediocre, the margarita didn't taste fresh, and they charged too much for what it was. But, I still think it's a good concept for Denver. It's surprising that they're aren't more places like it in the city.
- I've dined here many timesNativeVIPDined on 11/9/2012I've dined here many times and prefer lunch on the front sidewalk. The restaurant sits on a great block of east Colfax, filled with the vibrancy that 3 other bars and restaurants provide in addition to the Bluebird theater. Friday night dining @ Mezcal was VERY loud. It was difficult to converse with my dinner companion even though she was not that far away-tables are small. The restaurant was busy and this impacted timely and attentive service at my table. I was seated right away, so the restaurant did a great job in honoring my reservation and seating me in a timely way. More to my disappointment is the menu. It doesn't have lots of options and appears a bit old and tired. The food is just okay. Not bad but certainly not exceptional.Special Features:
- Good overall...food=blah.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012I loved the ambiance, but neither my husband or myself were happy with the food. Great mojitos, art, music later (loud). Would definitely not go back for food, but to meet friends to have a drink.Special Features:
- We painted skulls for DayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/15/2012We painted skulls for Day of the Dead from 8pm-11pm. Mezcal provided all the art supplies while they made sure we were well taken care of. I liked the combination of lively bar with a fun craft.Special Features:
- The food was mediocre andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/18/2012The food was mediocre and the drinks were great. Go for happy hour or late happy hour, but not to eat.Special Features:
- Fresh and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2012Excellent Mexican food tastes like your are in grandma's kitchen but modern at the same time; It was all VERY fresh and thoughtful in it's preparation....The drinks too, were very well done!!Special Features:
- Mezcal was decent. Our waiterDenverGrrrrrlDined on 5/29/2012Mezcal was decent. Our waiter was excellent. This is a very solid mexican place, nothing mind-blowing, but good if you're in the mood for some mexican food. Cocktails were okay, had a mojito and a dark and stormy. Mezcal is known for their margaritas so that's probably what I should have gotten.Special Features:
- Fun but very very loud. NotRusaDined on 2/25/2012Fun but very very loud. Not a good place to go to if you want to talk to your dining companions. Lots and lots of energy.Special Features:
- The Lights give the resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2012The Lights give the resturant a nice feel like you are at a christmas party. Food was Very Good and very reasonabely prices. $$ = 12 a plate. However the noise level as the band took the Stage (good band) was very loud. To hear my date I had to Shout at her not good. We had to move from the table the was next to the bad to the back of the resturant and still very loud.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2011The food and service were great, I recommend the pumpkin soup, delicious!
- Contrary to some reviews...DaveDined on 12/10/2011I read some reviews that were less than complimentary. We found the food tasty and attractively served. The service was friendly and prompt. The home made chips were just right, and served with three salsas that were all good. The skinny margarita was tasty and just 150 claimed calories!Special Features: