30 Major Taylor Blvd
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nichehospitality.com/
- Phone: 5089268307
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mezcal
Now in a new location, Mezcal pioneered the flavors of the Southwest to Worcester. Blending traditional Mexican plates with the colors and flavors of the increasingly popular Southwestern U.S. cuisine, Mezcal has been a hit since day one. Add in made to order guacamole, an unrivaled tequila list and outdoor seating to make the decision that much easier. Mezcal’s exceptional service, warm hospitality and amazing value make it a choice worth considering again and again. Mezcal Tequila Cantina is part of Niche Hospitality Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mezcal - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
Mezcal reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (75)great for outdoor dining (57)fit for foodies (50)hot spot (45)vibrant bar scene (38)great for lunch (37)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (28)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (19)romantic (8)scenic view (6)great for brunch (4)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Food still great in better locationJudyrDined on 10/18/2014First time dining here since they moved to the new location. Excellent food and service with better parking. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Loved the valet service: courteous & polite; host was gracious & friendly; seated us in a timely fashion; waitress was helpful & attentive. We did not feel rushed. Timing of serving courses was appropriate. My salmon special was extremely tasty. My husband's fajita was disappointing - too much onion. Would be fun to visit with a group.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceMargLoverDined on 10/11/2014So - let me start by saying I've been here numerous times and never had this issue. Maybe it was a fluke, or the waitress was new - but the service was pretty bad. Started off asking for a pitcher of Margaritas and a round of waters. Had to reminder her three times for the waters.... Considering how potent the margaritas can be, the water is absolutely necessary if you plan on driving home. Asked for meat in our quesofundito - no meat... was charged for meat and didn't notice until after we had already paid. We also had to constantly ask for refills on water and chips. I know that it's a minor thing, but I'm used to their wait staff being ready for refills before I've even asked. I also was not a huge fan of the tight seating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoarseRedhdsDined on 10/4/2014A most disappointing birthday dinner experience. Saturday night noise level was deafening. No exaggeration when we say we were hoarse by the end of the evening. The large, basic vanilla dining area has no sound buffers - no carpets, rugs, wall hangings or even a dropped ceiling to help soften the voices, music, TV, food service sounds and bar. It's like being in a huge middle school cafeteria with kids shouting and moving about. Totally detracted from the food. We were loyal and frequent fans of Mezcals on Shrewbury St. We will not return to this cold, visually boring and over the top loud venue. Even the food was ho hum (gordita apps were bland). Only saving grace were the Skinny Margaritas - thankfully consistently excellent.Special Features:
- jetsetDined on 10/3/2014Decor inside is not comforting. No carpeting,high ceilings with duct work exposed. Noise level remains high. Background music just so-so. When you go get a booth to eat in, tables are not comfortable.Special Features:
- First Date Worthy!firstdatewithSheriDined on 10/2/2014I brought a first date to Mezcal on October 2nd, 2014. She lived in Austin, TX for a year and loved Mexican cuisine. The drinks were really good as we were given all the time we needed to chat and get to know each other. Once we were ready and ordered, the food was out amazingly quick. Second round of drinks were exactly like the first (a sign of a good bartender) and were retrieved very quickly once ordered. My date ordered the fried ice cream for dessert that we shared. My first time eating that and it was very good. At no time did we feel rushed for sitting there just talking. I did have one complaint - My drinks were placed on the table first - both times. In my opinion, my date's drinks should have been placed on the table first.Special Features:
- YumSunnyDined on 9/27/2014Food is very good although not as good as it was in the old location. There habanero margarita is amazing. The house margarita was too sweet for my personal taste. It is very loud at night, but who doesn't go out for some loud fun. Free parking is much appreciated.Special Features:
- AwesomeChristieDined on 9/27/2014We went to Mezcal before a concert at the DCU center. The free valet parking at the restaurant allowed us to leave our car there during the event which really made the experience even better. We had a reservation and they sat us right on time. They were very busy because of the concert, but kept checking on us to make sure we had everythign we needed. The food was excellent and the drinks were great. Definitely going to be going back.Special Features:
- Fun nights!MezzcalDined on 9/27/2014Great guac and drinks. Some menu items are great and some are so/so. Two dollar taco night is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!!!Maximillion67Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I really loved the food and the environment. We were full just that quick off the appetizers but we were able to take food home. We will be going back and will recommend it to our friends. Excellent food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableTakemeoutDined on 9/20/2014This was my first time at Mezcal. My husband and I shared the $45 dinner for two special. The portions were generous and everything was delicious. Our server was attentive - just right. We are looking forward to another visit. The convenience of valet parking is a big plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change is not always good.EvrydineGts2chncsDined on 9/14/2014I visited this restaurant in it's old location several times and enjoyed it. In the new location, it seems to have transformed into a Chipotle Grill with a cafeteria feel, no more ambiance. The menu and it's creativity has been replaced with a limited "quick" menu. The food , other than being wrong was horrible, salty, ground protein with no personality. The margarita I ordered came out three different ways, was supposed to be the same drink(sent the second back). The service was lackadaisical and fairly unfriendly. Darn! I used to like this place, but I will not go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We went to Mezcal to celebrate a 21st birthday as a family. The margaritas were awesome! The guacamole was good too, we ordered the sampler and next time I would get the guacamole straight up. Although the add ins were good,, I think they detractcted from the flavor of the dip in general. Our servers could not have been more attentive, they never interrupted a conversation, and came at regular intervals to check and see how we liked the drinks, food and dessert. A very good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ErinDined on 9/13/2014The food was wonderful! We did however wait a little more than 45 minutes for our food, which was a while. But I was catching up with my friend so we didn't mind much. The manager comp'ed our meals, which was very nice of him and he didn't need to do that! They are very committed to guest satisfaction, which I greatly appreciate! Overall, I'll be back very soon!Special Features:
- Mezcal - tasty, tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Had dinner this weekend at Mezcal in its new location near the DCU Center. They always has great margaritas and guacamole and still do. YEA! And the tacos were delish too! The new place is about four times the size and the old. Really nice vibe.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Food!tufftandsullyDined on 9/13/2014Went for our 18th anniversary...the food and service was great!! had a buffalo chicken guacamole which was delicious! We split a pitcher of mai-tai margaritas which didn't last too long!! we both had the pulled pork chimichanga and fried ice cream for dessert...both were incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad for Mezcaldiner23Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to Mezcal for our 10th anniversary dinner. Michelle was our server and she was lovely...very friendly and accommodating. The food was so good that I have been craving it ever since!!! We chose the 2 for $45 deal and it was MORE than enough food for the two of us...guac and chips (the breakfast guacamole was my favorite), nachos, steak fajitas, and shrimp risotto. Great margaritas too! I can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The vegetarian options at Mezcal are great. It's not just beans rice and cheese. They have an excellent veggie chili. Also they have a vegetarian option for each type of food and they actually use interesting veggies. My favorite is the tacos with cauliflower, butternut squash and tempura avacado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mid-week dinner!BirthdayDinner2013Dined on 9/1/2014This place can get very busy on weekends but during the week or on a holiday like we went, it can be very quiet and a great place to get great food and hang out with friends and family. Great food, especially get the Dinner for ___ (2,4,etc)....so worth it for the $$!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good guac, margaritas, poor foodShrewsFoodieDined on 8/31/2014There is nothing authentic about this restaurant. Overpriced but poor quality food. Enjoyed the guacamole flight and the ritas, would possibly go back for a drink, maybe.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The only real complaint is some of the dishes had too much salt. Namely the ceviche and the chicken fajitas. The waiter was very slow and odd mannered, almost to the point of being off putting. Other then that we really enjoyed our night and would definitely return again.Special Features:
- Mezcal a great spot in WorcesterChuckDined on 8/29/2014Frequent stop when passing through Worcester, just a short ride from the highway, with free valet parking. Dine inside or out; TVs abound for sporting events. Food, drinks and service always excellent, wish it was closer to home. Quick service for events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, disappointing serviceLovemesomeMargaritasDined on 8/24/2014We have always loved Mezcal because of it's delicious, fresh food as well as the impeccable service. So, when my husband and I got the rare opportunity to go out to dinner without our kids, we immediately chose Mezcal. While I was a little disappointed by the noise level at this new location on a previous visit, the noise wasn't a factor at this visit as the restaurant was much less crowded. I still missed the intimacy of the smaller location, especially as our server wasn't as attentive. She was careless with my gluten allergy and slow with our drink service, seeming busy in a almost empty restaurant. However, the food was still amazing and while I had hoped to have one more drink and feel more leisurely, we still left satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mezcal is always fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I love Mezcal. Everyone that works there is super friendly. The margaritas are amazing! The guacamole is the best thing ever! The lobster tacos should be a part of the regular menu, I would probably eat them everyday!Special Features:
- Fun and Fine FoodLNMFoodLoversVIPDined on 8/21/2014On our brief stay in Westborough, we looked for unique restaurants nearby. All we can say is - believe the reviews of Mezcal in Worcester. Fun Mexican/Southwestern food, freshly made, with a creative twist. Where else could we find lobster quesadillas and duck confit chimichangas? If you prefer, you can order the habanero or ghost pepper sauce to spice up your dish. Pair that with fabulous margaritas, and you have one great experience!Special Features:
- Amazing Food and DrinkscapennDined on 8/17/2014LOVE LOVE LOVE the guacamole and margaritas!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Love MezcallauraCDined on 8/16/2014We have been a number of times without the kids, but this time we took the kids (both toddlers). We went early (5pm) so that it wouldn't be busy and they'd be more accommodating for the kiddos. I didn't even know they had a kids menu, so was very pleasantly surprised. Will definitely be back with and without the kids.Special Features:
- New location, new vibeRitagonzVIPDined on 8/14/2014So I've been told. They have a FABULOUS selection of desert juice... ode to the spiny one! I was not wowed by the taco bar, but in college town and working folks on a time crunch, the all-you-can-eat for $10.99 will hit the spot without leaving you in the poor house. That said, the taste is, edible but not memorable. There were other interesting things on the menu, and I look forward to coming back and trying them out. Steve, our server, was the bomb!!! A GREAT server. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent! Gluten Free safe-havenAliceDined on 8/13/2014I can't believe I haven't been to MezCal before now. I need to eat gluten free due to Celiac Disease. The waitress and manager were understanding and knowledgeable, and took time with me to go over what I wanted and what they could make. They double checked all of the ingredients and cooking prep with the chef. The food was very fresh and different. This will be a regular restaurant for me now.Special Features:
- ReviewJL52Dined on 8/13/2014Our waitress was awesome. She walked us through all the tequila options explaining everything to us so we could choose the type of margherita we wanted. Really very helpful. My only suggestion is that I thought the chicken leg appetizer were a bit skimpy on the meat. I would prefer 3 or 4 good sized legs with meat rather than 9 that were mostly skin and bones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surprise.SusanKDined on 8/13/2014We hadn't eaten at Mezcal since the move from Shrewsbury Street location and were pleasantly surprised at the new site. Food was excellent and wait staff was very attentive. We had 2 children with us who ordered off of the children's menu and finished their whole meal. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014We have never had a bad experience at Mezcal. Hosts, Food, waitstaff, validated parking...All Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date nightKatty17Dined on 8/9/2014Great drink menu. I recommend their house specials, especially the steak. Price is decent for the quality of food. Service is always fantastic.Special Features:
- not happypatsfanVIPDined on 8/8/2014The dining experience was great however I booked this as a 1000 point meal. I got 100 and went back to my email confirm that showed 100. I guess I need to pay attention to the bait and switchI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service!TapasDelightDined on 8/8/2014First time at Mezcal, we had a great time! Our food was mouthwatering delicious! I was even surprised how good the desert was (fried ice cream & brownie). The only negative I would say was the drinks. I had a Guava Cava margarita and there was so much salt in the drink like it fell off the rim and the proportions of the mix & tequila was not right. I drank it anyway, but after I ordered a sangria and that too was disappointing. But even with the drinks not being up to par, the food and service made the night! Our waitress was great and very descriptive on the food and I can't say enough about the tastiness of all 3 courses that came out. Myself and my husband were very pleased with our dinner.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysJoelDined on 8/1/2014Have been to Mezcal many times. This is the first time since they moved to a larger facility. Still great!Special Features:
- Good Taco Bar for lunchWorcester2dinersDined on 7/30/2014Nice selection of items at taco bar. The taco bar servers were efficient but not overly friendly. We were there around 1:30pm and it wasn't very busy. However it was at least 5 mins before our waitress came to the table. She couldn't have had more than 2 tables at the time and we noted at least 4 servers. Easy to get to and they validate for parking. However, it's the food that will bring us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceElizraDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I went to Mecal The entire experience was awful . We were told by the hostess that the wait would be 30-45 minutes , however I was able to grab a reservation on open table and get seated within 15 minutes . It took our waitress about 10 minutes before she greeted us . After my wife and I placed our drink orders , the waitress came back to take our appetizers. We ordered the house guac which is pretty good , however we watched as the tables around us (all whom were seated after us ) received their food . Our waitress apologized 2 seperate times for not having our appetizer and finally after 30 minutes we received it. To make a long story short after an hour in a half waiting my PRENANT wife and I never received our food an left !Special Features:
- Great lunchvisitingOrlandoDined on 7/21/2014I brought a couple of clients here for a casual lunch on a beautiful day. We decided to eat outdoors and it was fabulous. A very relaxing environment, great for conversation (except for a few ambulances that had their sirens going), great food, great service. I had a beef burrito and it was just right. A hefty portion of shredded beef in a crisp tortilla with just the right amount of sauce. My companions had tacos and they loved them. We'll be coming back.Special Features:
- Wonderful meeting placeChuckDined on 7/13/2014Met some friends in Worcester for a pleasant Sunday afternoon dinner and watch some the World Cup final. Staff attentive, food and drinks very good. Easy access from I 290, near DC center. Would recommend for adults and families, plenty of room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.