30 Major Taylor Blvd
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nichehospitality.com/
- Phone: (508) 926-8307
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Mezcal
Now in a new location, Mezcal pioneered the flavors of the Southwest to Worcester. Blending traditional Mexican plates with the colors and flavors of the increasingly popular Southwestern U.S. cuisine, Mezcal has been a hit since day one. Add in made to order guacamole, an unrivaled tequila list and outdoor seating to make the decision that much easier. Mezcal’s exceptional service, warm hospitality and amazing value make it a choice worth considering again and again. Mezcal Tequila Cantina is part of Niche Hospitality Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Mezcal - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
Mezcal reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (80)fit for foodies (49)hot spot (48)vibrant bar scene (48)great for outdoor dining (33)great for lunch (31)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (26)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (17)romantic (9)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- DickDined on 11/22/2014I would have rated this restaurant higher if we didn't have to wait an hour for our food. Our server was very good but an hour wait for the food at 5:30 pm is too long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guacamole to orderLauraVIPDined on 11/16/2014Not only do they have great flavors for guacamole; Mezcal will also make the guac the way you like it. When we went with friends and family for lunch, everyone liked their guacamole just a little differently. Mezcal made ours with the ingredients everyone agreed to, then brought 'sides' of whatever others wanted (lime, cilantro, tomato), One of our party, who doesn't usually even like guacamole, said this was so delicious and wanted more! Mezcal also has an amazing Margarita menu, and again, were wonderful about tailoring the drink for different requests. Everyone was happy with their meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - nice clean upscale settingJoeSixPackDined on 11/14/2014Another excellent dining experience provided by the Niche dining group in Worcester. I think I'm going to wind up visiting all their restaurants (Bocado Tapas bar was outstanding as well). There's actually some good mexican options in Worcester but while some may have better traditional food, the setting is not one for a true night out. Mezcal delivered - we took the advice of the server on drinks and appetizers and were not disappointed. Very friendly responsive service without being pesky. Excellent drinks (the skinny margaritas!) We'll go back again but not before visiting the other restaurants in this group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so different!Food4thoughtVIPDined on 11/8/2014We used to love the old place, this was our first time at the new location. I would describe the old one as a romantic place, great for a date night... Now this is like an upscale Chilli's. They used to make the guacamole made to order, it came out so quick that this could not be true. The floors are all concrete making the place loud and cold - not the same feel at all but they are catering towards groups which were everywhere so it is probably good for business.Special Features:
- Way too busy!!!PGPGDined on 11/8/2014This was my second visit to the place, but the experience was a lot less pleasant this time. The Margarita's pitcher were very full of ice, and where not even enough for 4 little glasses. Also they charged me $20.00 per each pitcher, when the menu said $17.00. I needed to send my meat 3 times back, because it was rare, when I ordered medium well. We where a group on 10 and they were no able to split the checks correctly. One of my invites waited for her food until we all were ready to pay and leave. I would never come back there for a very special occasion like my husband's birthday.Special Features:
- Great guacamole !AllisonBDined on 11/8/2014I've been to Mezcal more than a few times. Recently I went with a group of 6, including a few young teenagers. We were sat across from the bar on a Saturday night at 5pm which wasn't ideal, especially with other tables open. It took a long time for our drink order to arrive -- we got our guacamole first. The best thing about Mezcal is the guacamole. We all loved it. Fresh, delicious. We emptied two large servings. Our entrees were just ok - the 3 taco plates were small and not satisfying for the kids or the adults. The quesadilla lacked cheese and the meat was bland. This was not my previous experience and I hope it improves. I'll be back for some apps and drinks with adults, I'm not going to take the kids back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerPrimalEaterDined on 11/7/2014Went on a Friday night for dinner at 6:45. Sat in a booth which was nice. Good ambiance. The new location is much bigger than the old one. Margaritas were delicious. Guacamole was pretty good but a little watery. I had the southwestern chicken Piccata. I thought it was very good and had the right portion side. My girlfriend had the beef tacos which she didn't love. Thought they were too salty. Overall good experience and would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindJoePVIPDined on 11/6/2014Great atmosphere, modern setting, and very vibrant. Perfect for getting together for drinks and conversation. There is a nice large bar area with high top tables. And separate area for groups as well. The surprise perhaps is that the Mexican food and choice is terrific. Excellent find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming backKMacVIPDined on 11/2/2014Mezcal is a family favorite. We went for Sunday brunch to take advantage of the special Day of the Dead menu. The special menu featured selections made with an elevated heat/spice level. We had the guac of the day -- guac with chorizo, grilled onions & dusted with chipotle powder, the special chili, Death Burrito, and the special quesadilla. All of the spiced up items were noticeably spicier than normal offerings, but they did not have us reaching immediately for a cold beverage (but we're used to spicy food). The chili could have used some heat from the stove in addition to the heat provided by the spice. Rated noise level as quiet because we were one of the few in the restaurant at the time.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The host station is a bit awkward and the host and hostesses left a bit to be desired , but our friendly server and delicious meal more than made up for the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Mexican FoodWorcestergirlDined on 10/31/2014Impressed with the new location and free parking in the garage! Food was delicious and drinks were very good. Nice selection of both. Service was very good. Can't wait to go back and try the taco bar. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- just okmakereservationsDined on 10/27/2014I've loved Mezcal since it emerged on the Worcester restaurant sccene, so I was thrilled when they moved closer to my work in downtown Worcester. But I agree with those that find the food not quite as good as it used to be. Not bad, but not fabulous. I had a good plate of fish tacos. My friend had an avocado wrap that was somehow lacking in any avocado. Taco bar at lunch is a good deal if you have a big appetite. Dinner time, best deal is the multi-course dinner at $45 for 2 is more than enough food for 3 people. On a recent visit we especially enjoyed the queso (cheese fondue) appetizer. Guacamole is still the best reason to go to Mezcal-- always yummy and fresh, in an interesting array of flavors (Mediterranean, crunchy, Thai, & more.)Special Features:
- Poor Service>Menu OfferingsChadbflVIPDined on 10/23/2014You should find something you like on this menu. It's huge, diverse, and everything looks delicious. We went with a slew of appetizers and were generally pleased with our choices. Nothing really blew us away, but in general most of it was pretty good. Our service, on the other hand, barely met the definition of wait staff expectations. The list of grievances is unimportant. But what is important is that we felt neglected, ignored and ultimately dissatisfied with our overall experience. Would I go back? Absolutely. I'm a big believer in second chances. But I feel it's necessary to review each of these visits as they actually happened. This visit, in particular, wasn't great. So...3 stars is indicative of how we felt.I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soCooch11Dined on 10/23/2014Great service - although wasn't too busy when we arrived. Guacamole was excellent - chips were very salty and must have given us the bottom, lots of small pieces. Shouldn't of had to cut my enchilada with a knife - over cooked or sat under a heat light. We will go back and try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food still great in better locationJudyrDined on 10/18/2014First time dining here since they moved to the new location. Excellent food and service with better parking. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitwine24Dined on 10/17/2014Loved the valet service: courteous & polite; host was gracious & friendly; seated us in a timely fashion; waitress was helpful & attentive. We did not feel rushed. Timing of serving courses was appropriate. My salmon special was extremely tasty. My husband's fajita was disappointing - too much onion. Would be fun to visit with a group.Special Features:
- Ok..but not greatAphoDined on 10/17/2014Decent food...nothing spectacular. Much too noisy to talk. Quick and good wait-staff.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceMargLoverDined on 10/11/2014So - let me start by saying I've been here numerous times and never had this issue. Maybe it was a fluke, or the waitress was new - but the service was pretty bad. Started off asking for a pitcher of Margaritas and a round of waters. Had to reminder her three times for the waters.... Considering how potent the margaritas can be, the water is absolutely necessary if you plan on driving home. Asked for meat in our quesofundito - no meat... was charged for meat and didn't notice until after we had already paid. We also had to constantly ask for refills on water and chips. I know that it's a minor thing, but I'm used to their wait staff being ready for refills before I've even asked. I also was not a huge fan of the tight seating area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoarseRedhdsDined on 10/4/2014A most disappointing birthday dinner experience. Saturday night noise level was deafening. No exaggeration when we say we were hoarse by the end of the evening. The large, basic vanilla dining area has no sound buffers - no carpets, rugs, wall hangings or even a dropped ceiling to help soften the voices, music, TV, food service sounds and bar. It's like being in a huge middle school cafeteria with kids shouting and moving about. Totally detracted from the food. We were loyal and frequent fans of Mezcals on Shrewbury St. We will not return to this cold, visually boring and over the top loud venue. Even the food was ho hum (gordita apps were bland). Only saving grace were the Skinny Margaritas - thankfully consistently excellent.Special Features:
- jetsetDined on 10/3/2014Decor inside is not comforting. No carpeting,high ceilings with duct work exposed. Noise level remains high. Background music just so-so. When you go get a booth to eat in, tables are not comfortable.Special Features:
- First Date Worthy!firstdatewithSheriDined on 10/2/2014I brought a first date to Mezcal on October 2nd, 2014. She lived in Austin, TX for a year and loved Mexican cuisine. The drinks were really good as we were given all the time we needed to chat and get to know each other. Once we were ready and ordered, the food was out amazingly quick. Second round of drinks were exactly like the first (a sign of a good bartender) and were retrieved very quickly once ordered. My date ordered the fried ice cream for dessert that we shared. My first time eating that and it was very good. At no time did we feel rushed for sitting there just talking. I did have one complaint - My drinks were placed on the table first - both times. In my opinion, my date's drinks should have been placed on the table first.Special Features:
- YumSunnyDined on 9/27/2014Food is very good although not as good as it was in the old location. There habanero margarita is amazing. The house margarita was too sweet for my personal taste. It is very loud at night, but who doesn't go out for some loud fun. Free parking is much appreciated.Special Features:
- AwesomeChristieDined on 9/27/2014We went to Mezcal before a concert at the DCU center. The free valet parking at the restaurant allowed us to leave our car there during the event which really made the experience even better. We had a reservation and they sat us right on time. They were very busy because of the concert, but kept checking on us to make sure we had everythign we needed. The food was excellent and the drinks were great. Definitely going to be going back.Special Features:
- Fun nights!MezzcalDined on 9/27/2014Great guac and drinks. Some menu items are great and some are so/so. Two dollar taco night is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!!!Maximillion67Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I really loved the food and the environment. We were full just that quick off the appetizers but we were able to take food home. We will be going back and will recommend it to our friends. Excellent food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableTakemeoutDined on 9/20/2014This was my first time at Mezcal. My husband and I shared the $45 dinner for two special. The portions were generous and everything was delicious. Our server was attentive - just right. We are looking forward to another visit. The convenience of valet parking is a big plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change is not always good.EvrydineGts2chncsDined on 9/14/2014I visited this restaurant in it's old location several times and enjoyed it. In the new location, it seems to have transformed into a Chipotle Grill with a cafeteria feel, no more ambiance. The menu and it's creativity has been replaced with a limited "quick" menu. The food , other than being wrong was horrible, salty, ground protein with no personality. The margarita I ordered came out three different ways, was supposed to be the same drink(sent the second back). The service was lackadaisical and fairly unfriendly. Darn! I used to like this place, but I will not go back again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We went to Mezcal to celebrate a 21st birthday as a family. The margaritas were awesome! The guacamole was good too, we ordered the sampler and next time I would get the guacamole straight up. Although the add ins were good,, I think they detractcted from the flavor of the dip in general. Our servers could not have been more attentive, they never interrupted a conversation, and came at regular intervals to check and see how we liked the drinks, food and dessert. A very good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!ErinDined on 9/13/2014The food was wonderful! We did however wait a little more than 45 minutes for our food, which was a while. But I was catching up with my friend so we didn't mind much. The manager comp'ed our meals, which was very nice of him and he didn't need to do that! They are very committed to guest satisfaction, which I greatly appreciate! Overall, I'll be back very soon!Special Features:
- Mezcal - tasty, tasty!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Had dinner this weekend at Mezcal in its new location near the DCU Center. They always has great margaritas and guacamole and still do. YEA! And the tacos were delish too! The new place is about four times the size and the old. Really nice vibe.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Food!tufftandsullyDined on 9/13/2014Went for our 18th anniversary...the food and service was great!! had a buffalo chicken guacamole which was delicious! We split a pitcher of mai-tai margaritas which didn't last too long!! we both had the pulled pork chimichanga and fried ice cream for dessert...both were incredible!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mad for Mezcaldiner23Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to Mezcal for our 10th anniversary dinner. Michelle was our server and she was lovely...very friendly and accommodating. The food was so good that I have been craving it ever since!!! We chose the 2 for $45 deal and it was MORE than enough food for the two of us...guac and chips (the breakfast guacamole was my favorite), nachos, steak fajitas, and shrimp risotto. Great margaritas too! I can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The vegetarian options at Mezcal are great. It's not just beans rice and cheese. They have an excellent veggie chili. Also they have a vegetarian option for each type of food and they actually use interesting veggies. My favorite is the tacos with cauliflower, butternut squash and tempura avacado!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mid-week dinner!BirthdayDinner2013Dined on 9/1/2014This place can get very busy on weekends but during the week or on a holiday like we went, it can be very quiet and a great place to get great food and hang out with friends and family. Great food, especially get the Dinner for ___ (2,4,etc)....so worth it for the $$!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good guac, margaritas, poor foodShrewsFoodieDined on 8/31/2014There is nothing authentic about this restaurant. Overpriced but poor quality food. Enjoyed the guacamole flight and the ritas, would possibly go back for a drink, maybe.
- SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The only real complaint is some of the dishes had too much salt. Namely the ceviche and the chicken fajitas. The waiter was very slow and odd mannered, almost to the point of being off putting. Other then that we really enjoyed our night and would definitely return again.Special Features:
- Mezcal a great spot in WorcesterChuckVIPDined on 8/29/2014Frequent stop when passing through Worcester, just a short ride from the highway, with free valet parking. Dine inside or out; TVs abound for sporting events. Food, drinks and service always excellent, wish it was closer to home. Quick service for events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, disappointing serviceLovemesomeMargaritasDined on 8/24/2014We have always loved Mezcal because of it's delicious, fresh food as well as the impeccable service. So, when my husband and I got the rare opportunity to go out to dinner without our kids, we immediately chose Mezcal. While I was a little disappointed by the noise level at this new location on a previous visit, the noise wasn't a factor at this visit as the restaurant was much less crowded. I still missed the intimacy of the smaller location, especially as our server wasn't as attentive. She was careless with my gluten allergy and slow with our drink service, seeming busy in a almost empty restaurant. However, the food was still amazing and while I had hoped to have one more drink and feel more leisurely, we still left satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mezcal is always fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014I love Mezcal. Everyone that works there is super friendly. The margaritas are amazing! The guacamole is the best thing ever! The lobster tacos should be a part of the regular menu, I would probably eat them everyday!Special Features:
- Fun and Fine FoodLNMFoodLoversVIPDined on 8/21/2014On our brief stay in Westborough, we looked for unique restaurants nearby. All we can say is - believe the reviews of Mezcal in Worcester. Fun Mexican/Southwestern food, freshly made, with a creative twist. Where else could we find lobster quesadillas and duck confit chimichangas? If you prefer, you can order the habanero or ghost pepper sauce to spice up your dish. Pair that with fabulous margaritas, and you have one great experience!Special Features: