25 W San Fernando St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
Traditional MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mezcalrestaurantsj.com/
- Phone: 4082839595
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: M 4:00pm-8:30pm
Dinner: T-Th 4:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 4:00pm-8:30pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican
- Executive Chef: Doña Libo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
A word from Mezcal
Located in Downtown San Jose, Mezcal boasts one of the most distinctive dining rooms in San Jose. The brick exterior, metal work and indigenous Mexican motifs, sets the restaurant apart from its neighbors. Although the design is urban upscale, there is nothing watered down about the menu. Mezcal proudly serves authentic Oaxacan regional cuisine utilizing family recipes passed on from previous generations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezcal reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (24)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (19)neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (12)romantic (11)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/17/2014Nice venue, however, the food was terrible. Not sure how they made table side guac flavorless, but they did. Entrees were equally disappointing. Will not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014The management should read the reviews. The food is great the servers are friendly. The only problem, like all the other reviews, once the servers come and take your order, the only other time they come by to see you is to serve you your food. Again, like other reviews, we would of had more drinks if we didn't have to flag down a server.Special Features:
- Good Oaxacan foodUCgradVIPDined on 9/3/2014The guacamole was made at our table, and was very good. The entrees took nearly an hour to arrive, and no one came by to ask if wanted another drink. The food was delicious, and the prices reasonable. Cannot recommend the service, however.Special Features:
- Magnificent MezcalwilliamDined on 8/28/2014Recently, I took my (adult) son to Mezcal for a birthday dinner. I was delighted to find this "neigborhood gem" in downtown San Jose. Mezcal is a charming and authentic Mexican restaurant. It has a lovely decor with both indoor and outdoor (private, covered, patio) dining options. Marcela is a lovely lady and an outstanding bartender and food server. And, our drinks and dinners were magnificent! If you enjoy "real deal" Mexican food, and delicious mole options, then Mezcal in certainly worth a visit. I know I'll be back. Hasta luego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, tequila-centric barsramjiVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food here is terrific in general. The table-side guacamole is not to be missed. The service is sincerely friendly although sometimes inattentive. The only real disappointment is the bar - the tequila and mescal selections are terrific, but there are very limited options for other drinks (whiskies, vodkas, aperitifs, digestifs).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDebsdelightsDined on 8/23/2014What a pleasant experience. Excellent food. Not your typical Mexican restaurant... Much, much better! Great margaritas! Try the tamales wrapped in banana leaves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food and then drinks were great. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but unremarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/14/2014Good but not stunning. The service was a bit slow, especially water refills. The food was good and somewhat different but none of the six of us gave anything a rave (and we are not tough critics). Chips were thick. Guacamole was bland. Everyone was pretty happy because we were enjoying each others' company but the food was nothing to get excited about. The margaritas were good. We will probably visit again but it's not a special occasion place.Special Features:
- Lunch surprisefirstnightdinnerDined on 8/8/2014The two of us were plesantly surprised at the beautiful and serene ambiance of the restaurant. It's very spacious with an outdoor patio, well lit and a lovely mural. We were so excited until we had our meal delivered with poor service. If the waiter can't smile or serve the meal in a respectful manner then it takes away from the whole experience. The black beans were so salty we couldn't even eat them. We tried to explain it to the waiter with no luck. My friends pork was overcooked and dry. The meal was so disappointing as well as the service. We'll not recommend it or go back there. I'm so sad because we were celebrating my friends birthday.
- MezcalBonniek5Dined on 8/3/2014My birthday 8/3, and I wanted to find a new place to go to for 8. I booked thru open table. A Sunday night, the restaurant was not crowded, but parking is always a problem in downtown SJ. Some in our group had to pay 10.00 to park! I told our server, it was our first time there. He was good about answering our questions. We sat outside, very pretty. It was not too cold. The food was different, but I was up to trying something new. Some of the dishes were odd, like I got the ESTOFADAS and hubby got ENCHILADAS SUIZAS, The corn tortillas were laid in the mole sauce, with cheese and the thin sliced pork was on top. Wasn't sure how to eat it, but it tasted good. The Guac they make front of you is very good. They brought a Flan for my BD.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014Food was very good. Service was also very good. Would go there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014Mexican food with a great taste and not like anywhere else in San Jose. Enjoy the food and service.Special Features:
- Authentic oaxacanWeedyVIPDined on 7/1/2014Very good and very authentic Oaxacan food in a friendly, comfortable, low key atmosphere. Friendly and helpful. Good selection of accompanying Mezcals. Much better than the typical Americanised mexican restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, last timenotagainDined on 6/29/2014The food was bland beyond belief, save the guacamole that was made fresh at the table. We were disappointed by the mole, and the chicken was dry and not very edible. The rest of the food was akin to eating styrofoam, flavorless.
- Date nightDenvernormDined on 6/28/2014good food, good drinks, good service, friendly staff, good for any party, nice outdoor area, good locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hope this was an off night....OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/28/2014Mezcal is usually top-notch...the food and the service were sub-par on Saturday night. It appears as if they were short-staffed as our server did not seem as if she'd performed those duties prior. We were there for Dine About Town, and, although the menu selections sounded good, they did not meet expectations. The Diver Scallops were miniscule and overcooked, the tortilla soup had zero flavor, the veggie plate was dry and overdone, and the volcano cake's "volcano" was hardened in the nmiddle of the cake. The service was so bad that we had to go to the bar to order our second round of drinks. The patio chairs are really uncomfortable! I really like Mezcal. If I go back and if I have a similar experience, I won't go back again.Special Features:
- Dine DowntownOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/25/2014For Dine Downtown restaurants, I was anxious to try Mezcal. The decor is very nicely with a bar and outdoor patio. The chips & 3 salsas were very good. My 1st flag was having to ask for the Dine DT menu and asking 3 servers about the entrees, none had tried or had comments. I ordered the bacon wrapped filet and my wife the sea bass. Both dishes were over cooked, the filet was tough and sea bass over oiled. This was the by far the worst meal I have had in quite a while. For Dine DT customers, this is for you, I'm sure menu items are good from the reviews but from the table next to us I was not convinced. No one asked how our meal was, I shared this with the Owner and appreciate him offering to adjust the bill but I refused.
- Great Lunch SpotJohnVIPDined on 6/18/2014Very fresh and tasty menu items with a fusion flare.Special Features:
- First ExperienceluvvarietyDined on 6/14/2014My daughter treated me to birthday dinner at Mezcal last night. I had seen reviews and wanted to try a different Mexican restaurant rather than our usual "go-to" places. The margaritas were delicious and we enjoyed the three varieties of sauces for the homemade chips plus the "made to order" guacamole. We shared the sea bass plate and the enchiladas with chorizo and really enjoyed the flavors of both entrees. I would go here again. Our waitress was very friendly, efficient and offered knowledgeable responses to our questions about the menu items. The owner even came to our table and told us of a better place to park next time so that they could validate our ticket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLupeDined on 6/13/2014We went to Mezcal to try for the first time to celebrate my husband 41st bday. We had a party of 14 people. Loved it! Our waiter, Viri was outstanding! Will be back to try other foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adorable and delicious!BrookeNryanGoDiningDined on 6/13/2014We sat out on the patio which was quaint and rustic... So cool. The food was served Oaxaca style Mexican with fantastic flavors and mouth-watering mole sauces. Margaritas were very balanced and good- the maragarita mix tasted homemade and not off the shelf with lots of corn syrup, plus good tequila! Highly recommend for a fun dinner in downtown SJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014Would have had at least three more alochol drinks had the waitress simply asked. Also good practice to fill beverages (soda) without asking. Left kinda thirsty, but full and the food was great. Will be back and happy to coach the table staff. ohh, and waitress was very very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local restaurantDontgetoutmuchDined on 5/30/2014Went here before a show. The salmon was great, partner didn't like chile relano, not enough cheese, so they comped margarita. Nice touch. Will come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 80 reviews are from the Mezcal reviews archive.
- Delicious Food and Awesome AmbienceMKtinoDined on 5/25/2014Husband and I had a wonderful dining experience. We used our gift card which we won from SanJose.com and made a reservation for two at 6:00 on a Sunday evening. When we got there the hostess knew right away who we were and seated us immediately. Soon after we were seated, the waitress asked us if it was our first time and so we said yes. She went over the three types of moles and said that if we needed refills just to let her know. The food was quite delicious ranging from Appetizer Sampler, Enchilada Entrées, and Oaxacan Chocolate Cake Desert. We were definitely satisfied with the service and food preparations. Ambience really felt like home with a fine dining experience. Will be coming back soon!Special Features:
- HorriblehenneballDined on 5/11/2014My hubby and I love Mexican. This place was supposed to be authentic. Not so sure about that. Surely did not have the feel of it when we entered. Not a really busy place, therefore cannot explain any of the things that happened here. 1) Table was not ready when we were seated, we had reservations. 2) The actual table, it was a plastic fold-able that we use for BBQs. The gray ones you can pick up from Costco or Walmart. 3) The waiter, oh, Mr. Daniel was RUDE as ... No idea what his problem was, BUT we did not deserve rolling of the eye every time he came out and glanced at our table. The look of, oh.. this group again, run back into the kitchen. How dare you automatically charge tip! HORRIBLE!!!! -5 Stars if I could.
- adelialDined on 5/11/2014As usual great food and wonderful service. We went for Mother's day celebration and all the family had excellent experience.Special Features:
- Best Place I Ever Ate AtiLoveitDined on 5/10/2014I love the food and the service was beyond great I'm definitely going back. My parents love this place brought my mom here for mothers day and she was happySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too happyMorganDined on 5/5/2014Not clean no TP in bath room waited 10 min for last meal served in our party
- Go-to for pleasant diningalb81Dined on 4/26/2014We've been here with family and on a double-date with friends--this place is fitting for both types of occasions! The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating. Food is fresh with delicate flavor and we are always pleasantly full when we leave. Sharing the sample plate as a meal along with their table-side guacamole is perfect for a date night, not to mention a great deal. Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodyummyDined on 4/19/2014Loved the moles. Not too spicy, great flavor. Smaller portions, so order an appetizer if you're really hungry. Beverages are great - loved the margarita!Special Features:
- Solid Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/15/2014Enjoy this place - good mole. Have been there a few times - place is very consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great choices!LisawskiVIPDined on 4/8/2014I think one thing i love most about Mezcal is that you can get vegetarian and vegan dishes. Next, i love the consistency in the quality of food and service. They are wonderful, and as someone who eats here regularly, they honestly make me feel like a valued customer. Whenever I have to entertain a business lunch, this is my top choice! Delicious food, tasty drinks.... way to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceMfulton1Dined on 3/23/2014Loved Mezcal. They were wonderful and extra nice to my 11 month old grandsonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentLisawskiVIPDined on 3/13/2014I can't turn enough people on to Mezcal. The food is outstanding. Fresh, made at your table guacamole, tasty moles, something for everyone. I have never had bad service or a bad meal. Always fresh, always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/12/2014Everyone in my party loved their choice of food. My choice, I thought, was the best. I would go there again. The prices also were very affordable. My margarita was perfect.Special Features:
- Good Mezcal selection, butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Good Mezcal selection, but there should be a tasting option offered and I found it a little pricey. Hot food could be a little warmer, and drinks and return visits from the waitress could be a little quicker. The waitress never came back to refill our drinks or ask how our food was. Dinner price was very reasonable, but I wouldn't go back to eat, but definitely for the tequila and Mezcal.Special Features:
- It was solidly okGirlsNightOUtVIPDined on 3/8/2014The decor is really, really cute. The service was friendly and attentive. The food was a bit of a miss for me. Three of us had fish dishes which were overcooked. The premium margarita (I think that is what it was called) was FANTASTIC. The mole they served instead of salsa with chips was interesting, but we all would have preferred salsa. I would go back if someone said "hey we are going here want to come with?" but I probably wouldn't seek it out again on my own at this point.
- The real deal!datenightDined on 3/4/2014There are many places in the bay are for great taco's but this is an authentic restaurant with classic dishes from Mexico. We will be coming again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelente lugar, riquísimaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Excelente lugar, riquísima comida y precios muy cómodos. Muy recomendableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/22/2014Authentic execution of Mole and Pork tacos were outstanding. Table side guacamole pre.... doesn't get better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.