Mezcal Cantina - Worcester
166 Shrewsbury St
Worcester, MA 01604Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
Mezcal Cantina - Worcester
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mezcalcantina.com/
- Phone: 5089268308
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-4:30pm; Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern
- Executive Chef: Steve Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for details.
- Private Party Contact: Deb Covino 5089268308
A word from Mezcal Cantina - Worcester
Mezcal pioneered the flavors of the Southwest to Worcester. Blending traditional Mexican plates with the colors and flavors of the increasingly popular Southwestern U.S. cuisine, Mezcal has been a hit since day one. Add in made to order guacamole, an unrivaled tequila list and outdoor seating to make the decision that much easier. Mezcal’s exceptional service, warm hospitality and amazing value make it a choice worth considering again and again. Mezcal Tequila Cantina is part of Niche Hospitality Group.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mezcal Cantina - Worcester reviews from OpenTable diners
- Always love going here. Sonia'slauraluVIPDined on 1/24/2014Always love going here. Sonia's guacamole is to die for. I did not like guacamole until I had it here! Service always spot on. Food excellent. They've got it down. Only thing I missed was not seeing Anthony, he's awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, delicious food!!NoSpoonDined on 1/23/2014Mezcal is a great local spot offering a fantastic menu at a very reasonable price. Their guacamole was outstanding! The service was excellent, and our waiter was one of the best we've had anywhere. I'd highly recommend Mezcal to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualTanyaDined on 1/20/2014We always go there for margaritas and guacamole and they were great. The waitress was just okay, made multiple mistakes and one persons food was not very good. She apologized for the mistakes but did not compensate in the bill. One thing we all noticed is that the table was set when we got there and the menus(ridden with germs, I am sure) were resting on our plates-YUCK!I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around a great placeHeatherDined on 1/14/2014We love it at Mezcal...All the Niche properties have great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks and FriendsAdderley3CVIPDined on 1/11/2014If you like Mezcal and Tequila, and are around Worcester, this is the spot for that special drink. Friendly staff with lots of suggestions on which beverage to sample is also a plus. Don't be alarmed if there are too many choices, just try something different and broaden your horizons when it comes to tequila or mezcal. The restaurant should be moving around the corner to a larger location, as the bar scene is generally the hot spot here, so we are all curious as to the vibe of the new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night With FriendsDoctorKarenGDined on 1/10/2014The guacamole is fantastic! We ordered two it was so good (the house recipe). I would NOT recommend the "Smoky Margarita". We ordered a pitcher and none of us cared for the smoky firewood-like taste, but we LOVED the Sangria!!!! I have eaten here before and have always been very pleased with my entrée, however this time I decided to try the taco combo (3 tacos for 13) I ordered one fish, one chicken, and one beef. I was not overly impressed with any of them. They lacked flavor and the meat was dry. Without any sour cream or guacamole it would've been tough to get through. Despite this, I would definitely go back again (sans tacos!) We all had an enjoyable night and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five StarsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/10/2014This place is awesome. Food is fantastic and service was great. I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteLisa88Dined on 1/4/2014Mezcal is always a top choice in my circle of friends. It's a great place to go with groups of friends. The three guacomole appetizer is amazing, and I usually am all set just having that and their amazing margaritas. Make reservations - it's easy on the website.Special Features:
- It was a very cold night whenJimBDined on 1/3/2014It was a very cold night when we dined and we were seated next to the door. Every time the door opened we got a blast of cold air. Not very comfortable.Special Features:
- imaginative fresh mexican foodsaltyDined on 12/31/2013The variety of guacamole is terrific Sides on special dished refreshing Quesadilla delicious and light and different , try the duckSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite local Mexican spotTQuinnMcLennanDined on 12/31/2013I love Mezcal. Their guacamole is to die for. Service is friendly and the atmosphere is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as alwaysErinDined on 12/30/2013I go to Mezcal (Worcester location) at least once a month. The food is absolutely delicious. The guacamole is a must have. They have different kinds of guacamole that are always very good. This time I had bacon and caramelized onions. It sounds strange, but it was great. I get a different meal every time (This time was nachos) and I have never been disappointed. It can get very expensive, but it is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- late lunchMartyDined on 12/28/2013The food is always excellent! Bartender changed the drinks slightly to adjust to our likings. Service was much slower than in the evening. Excited for the new larger site to open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meallsalceVIPDined on 12/27/2013As usual the food and service were fantastic. I can't resist the guacamole selection - tropical and crunchy are my favorites. The waitress was always around when we needed her from drinks to the check. It's a great spot... stop in for a pitcher of margaritas!
- Great Date night!ES17Dined on 12/20/2013My boyfriend and I have been wanting to try mezcal for a while and finally treated ourselves for date night on Friday night. The food was great. We shared house guacamole and chicken chimichanga. Both were fantastic! The waitress was great! The only drawback was my margarita. I tried the blood orange first and then the house. Both were far too sweet. My boyfriend tried the Mai tai margarita and even that tasted less sweet. I ordered an extra shot of tequilla to mix in which helped, but considering this is a tequilla bar, I was expecting a better margarita! The food and service were so great that we didn't let a drink put a damper on a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013I went for good ceviche and it was a margarita Bar most patrons were smashed and had no idea what the food Tasted like! ceviche was to be mixed seafood It was small shrimp frozen kind no real sauce Or spices Wife had Med rare skirt steak came Out burnt Well done the salad sucked and beans Were uneatable! We wrote this Off the list! Probably tasted better with pitcher of Margarita If your a drinker!Special Features:
- You have to give it a try!AllanDined on 12/20/2013We had a great time! Great service. The food delicious. Our reservation was on time and they accommodate my request. It was the first time for the rest of my party and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/18/2013Great, authentic Mexican food with a twist at reasonable prices. Great magaritas also!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service. ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/6/2013Awesome service. Exceptional waitress. Great food. Great cocktails.Special Features:
- Excellent!KathyDined on 12/6/2013Our office Holiday Party started with a meal at Mezcal. What a fantastic way to start the evening! The food and drink was fantastic, as was the service! If you are in Worcester, you should make this a priority on your list of places to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best MexicanBGBostonVIPDined on 11/30/2013Mezcal has become my GO TO place for Mexican Food. They have a fantastic Tequila offering and the Best Guac of any place I have eaten. Love the Crunchy and Tropical but the special with sun dried tomatoes was outstanding as well. 2 of us had the Duck Burrito which was absolutely fantastic. Would have been happy to get it without the tortilla served "bowl style" I dont know how they make it so sweet but the BBQ suace and the Mole sauces are awesome. The quesidilla was good but wiish they asked how you like the steak as it was overcooked. the Pick 3 tacos (another favorite) were very good and Mezcal encourages customization. Blood Orange Margarita was awesome, again customization encouraged.Special Features:
- It's alrightArayDined on 11/24/2013The food was ok. The guacamole was really good. When the colored chips came out, I knew this wasn't authentic. The spices in their food blended well, though, and had a personality/culture all it's own. If only it satisfied my Mexican food cravings. If you get rice, expect something similar to boxed grocery store "Mexican" rice. You do get a lot of food for two people, though. Expect to take it home. If you're looking for tequila/margaritas and a chill night out, look no further. If you're familiar with Mexican food, go to the taqueria instead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall experiencediamanteDined on 11/22/2013Just went there with my boyfriend for his bday. Overall experience was great! Food was delicious and the drinks too. Def will be coming back here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice nightBozzDined on 11/14/2013The food was great! We had a great night at MezcalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quick about getting meFoodrocksDined on 11/14/2013Very quick about getting me my food. It is always good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food could be bettereni7Dined on 11/11/2013I have been here many times before for margaritas and guacamole. They are the best here. This was the first time I went for an entrée and was disappointed with the food. its definitely a great place for the above food but not an entrée.Special Features:
- Okay, but not worth the wait.APKatDinnerDined on 11/8/2013There is a lot of buzz about Mezcal and, because of all the chatter, I've been there 3 times. However, I've never been impressed. The guacamole is good, but not great. The entrees are greasy, cheese-laden dishes that leave you feeling like you've just eaten fast food. And, while the service is above average, the restaurant is so jam-packed that you may bump elbows with your neighbor or take out a waitress if you back your chair up without looking. It has also been extremely loud on all three visits (weekend afternoon, weekend night, and weekday night). All in all, I don't think I'll be returning. I can get better food and more elbow room elsewhere. Recommended for partying 20-somethings who want margaritas, though.Special Features:
- The food is outstanding asJudiDined on 11/7/2013The food is outstanding as well as the Margaritas. We sent early since the place seems to get very busy after 6. I think they might need a larger location and parking can be a problem if you are not willing to use valet. Holy Guacamole! We loved it.Special Features:
- The ambiance was nice butDisappointedDined on 11/1/2013The ambiance was nice but the food was not even average. I would not eat there again but I would go back for drinks and chips.Special Features:
- Dining at Mezcal Cantina isOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/27/2013Dining at Mezcal Cantina is always a great experience,-upscaled Mexican food and the largest variety of Tequila brands in the area, this in addition to great service and friendly staff, not much left to ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly Great!AJandDrewDined on 10/25/2013We'd heard a lot about Mezcal but still had so many places on our list to try (being new to Worcester). We finally got around to it and we would definitely go back again, as well as bring out of town family and friends. Great Margaritas and an extensive tequila list. The food was super fresh and clean tasting. The tostadas were the best by far and the house guac was amazing. The jalapeño rice balls were somewhat bland even with the chipotle aioli. We definitely recommend the Platos Completos for tasting a little bit of everything. Surprisingly lots of children for a Friday night. Lots of local business people at the bar as well. A lively place for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Sunday BrunchKMacVIPDined on 10/20/2013Mezcal is one of our favorites. They have creative tequila cocktails, an expansive list of tequila and mezcal, and their various takes on guacamole are delicious. This time we went with the Buffalo Chicken guac -- chunks of grilled chicken bathed in hot sauce, chunks of carrots, celery and blue cheese. I had the Huevos Rancheros. The mole sauce was a nice touch. Two of my companions had the Eggs Mezcal and loved the potato/avocado/chorizo hash. My other companion had the chicken & bacon wrap and added an egg to it. He ate every last bit. It was large enough that he couldn't finish the fries (nice, crispy potato wedges).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience every time...lsalceVIPDined on 10/6/2013Mezcal has made me a bigger fan of Mexican food! The guacamole is fantastic - especially the tropical. The food across the board is great quality. Don't miss the pitchers of margaritas! The service has been quick and attentive every time I have been. Busy place, so make a reservation during high volume times.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTroyDined on 10/4/2013Brought my friends who were visiting from Europe. Everyone loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!PlusThreeDined on 9/27/2013Always a delight to dine at Mezcal! The Guacamole is superb and you can never go wrong with the queso fundido!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Tex-Mex with a Modern VibeCantGetEnoughDined on 9/26/2013Made reservations for 5, but had to move them forward an hour. The hostess was very professional and accommodating, and they promptly seated us at our new reservation time. Our waitress, Elizabeth, was very professional, friendly, energetic and quick. The food was not as hot as we would have liked, but it was very flavorful and the presentations were modern and inviting. The serving sizes were pretty large, and the choices of fillings all sounded fantastic. The guacamole is a must-have! We tried the sampler (which only includes 3/6) and our only regret was that we did not sample the other 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceJenPDined on 9/26/2013I went to Mezcal for the first time with my book club and while I expected that the food and drinks would be amazing ( this I knew from some of the girls in the group), I was worried that it might be too loud for our discussion. I worried needlessly. When I made my reservation online I requestd that we be set aside from the main dining and I was delighted to find that we we seated in the small group party room above the main dining area. The food and drinks did not disappoint, everything we had was delicious from the guacamoile flights to the margaritas. Our server was so attentive and helpful. We are a group of 12 that request separate checks, and sometimes we are a bit daunting to even an experienced server, but definitely not this time.Special Features:
- Very poor!johnDined on 9/22/2013Sorry, It was not what I expect... the rice was terrible ,bad. the drink, bad. I ask for a lemonade and I got a Snapple drink, I hate Snapple. the table was to small.
- Fabulous!MickerbabyDined on 9/21/2013Our dining experience was as spectacular as ever! Mezcal is our favorite restaurant, and we love dining there. The only thing that we say every time we are there is, just wish this place was bigger so the wait wasn't do long on short notice! And it would really great if the bar was bigger, but everything else is fabulous ;)Special Features:
- Very disappointed with fishBoylstonfanDined on 9/16/2013Very disappointed with fish tacos We visited Mezcal in January - had an outstanding meal...loved everything & the guac was to die for. This time, Monday Sept 16 the guac was still to die for, however, I ordered the same dish, fish tacos and was very disappointed. The fish tasted/smelled musty. I recall the previous fish tacos having alot flavor and toppings. This time, the fish was not good and the topping was basically just lettuce.Also, I don't know if they are using a different fish now. I thought the previous one was haddock and it was outstanding. I don't think it was haddock this time. I am very particular about fish: we live in an area the best fish is 2 hrs away. There is no excuse to scrimp on good fish or toppings at $4 a taco.