2103 N Killingsworth St
Portland, OR 97217Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mextiza.com/
- Phone: 5032893709
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Su 10:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Owsaldo Bibiano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Mextiza
Pieces of MexicoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mextiza reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Real Mexican CookingdickRDined on 7/26/2014If you are looking for Tex-Mex or Southwest, there are many restaurants in PDX. Do not expect a tacos and burritos. Mextiza serves a very good meal of traditional Mexican dishes. Our meal was cabritos (done in a tradditional manner), poblano with chicken tinga, and appetizer of fundido (latter a bit pricey). Everything was was very good. Portions are sufficient. The usual "Mexican" overabundance of cheese was absent. Their margartita was just lime juice (no sugar syrup), triple sec, and tequilla - excellent. For non-alcoholic drinks, the choices appeared limited Our service was cvery, very good. Overall, I would rate Mextiza very good. Try Bibiano's Autentica, his original place, for even bettrer home-town recipes.Special Features:
- Nuevo MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014We were looking for traditional Mexican and ended up here. Service was good but the food didn't make the grade compared to many other Mexican restaurants in Portland.
- Mexican tapas !GusserVIPDined on 6/14/2014I like this place cause it has lots of good quality appetizers, small plates and even larger plates. Instead of ordering 2 large plates for two people, we opted for 2 appetizers and 2 small plates. Get to try more. To start the Queso Fundido with handmade tortillas is awesome; then we had chilorio shredded pork tacos which were so tasty; then we had a chile relleno with grounded turkey, its a great twist instead of grounded beef as it makes it more lean and less fatty; and then skewers in a tomato dense sauce also amazing. Oh and their margaritas are great, cause they use house infused tequila, which is not something you can find at any store. This is a great neighborhood gem place. For summer they have a large outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Great BrunchmusselloverDined on 6/8/2014Second time here for brunch and the menu choices were excellent and also the service. This is a neighborhood gem as it never disappoints. We will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014The food is always great. We have eaten there several times. Our waiter could have been better, but it was still workable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 12 reviews are from the Mextiza reviews archive.
- Loved it!foodloverVIPDined on 5/2/2014Love everything about our experience and totally worth the drive for me!Special Features:
- Expanding Mexican BordersjyeeDined on 4/27/2014The great thing about Mextiza is it's not your typical Mexican fare. Sure they have some tacos, but the menu is so much more diverse than border street food and tex-mex staples. They also have a nice, well priced drinks menu - perfect for sipping on a hot day out in their patio. My only complaint on this past visit was that, although the fish crudo tasted okay, the execution was rather sloppy. The fish pieces were thick, large and irregularly cut, rather than in thin, even slices or a fine dice. It made it difficult to put the crudo onto the chips.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!PortlandbornVIPDined on 3/19/2014Mextiza is always delicious. Very good Margaritas. Great, friendly service. It's always a very good experience. Get the Caesar salad. And get the unusual chips sprinkled with cheese. It's ALL good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeping focus on a busy Saturday.SteveninpdxVIPDined on 2/22/2014I've visited this neighborhood gem many times, always leaving with a desire to come back soon. This visit on a Saturday night with the winter menu sent us both home a bit disappointed, dishes lacked the execution they are known for. The flavors were lacking, to the point we ordered salsa to pour over the top. Will I be back ... absolutely, but I'll skip a Saturday Night, as they were too busy to taste what they were making. The service on the other hand was amazing... how they managed the full house was a lesson is teamwork everyone pitched in never missing a need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SnackgrumpyoldmanDined on 2/20/2014While the food at Mextiza was very good and well prepared, my wife and I were longing for full bellies as we left. Our order included an appetizer and two entrees along with drinks. The portions were extremely small for the price and we had to go to Atomic Pizza afterwards to feel like we had a full meal rather than a couple of snacks. Additionally, they claimed that they never received my Open Table reservation. Fortunately it was early in the evening and they were not very busy.Special Features:
- Wonderful place!JulieJVIPDined on 2/16/2014We've been going here for a few years now, recently for Brunch. This is not "Mexican food'. The food is consistently awesome, you cannot go wrong no matter what you try. If you need a suggestion, just ask. The staff is more than willing to offer a suggestion - they are great! There is always something new to try, but they keep some of the items on the menu, so they will be there when you come back. Daily specials also give you new items to try. Dinner is just fantastic and I cannot rave enough about their margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Great food but service was terrible From hostess to wait staff to dining room management there is a lot of room for improvement
- So So MextizaRichie2uDined on 2/14/2014Website had a very attractive menu. Valentine's Day menu on site was different from website. Limited choices. Over priced. Snooty server needs a new career.
- A more authentic type of mexicandinerVIPDined on 2/12/2014A more authentic type of mexican restaurant than the normal tex-mex. Our food was very good and well prepared. We had the appetizer assortment as well as chicken meat balls and another dish. Well worth the trip to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return for fresh tasty MexicanLANADined on 2/1/2014We enjoyed our meal and evening. Service was attentive, not disruptive, timely. Selection and specials terrific. Drinks clean and refreshing. Atmospher very comfortable. Parking easy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican Gourmet CuisineGusserVIPDined on 1/18/2014This is becoming one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. It serves authentic food from various regions across Mexico; and not your typical burrito and enchiladas. One of Mexico's staple food is corn, and its utilized in multiple manner across the dishes. The Molotes are filled with savory chicken inside of a corn dumpling with a yummy avocado sauce. The cochinita pibil (slow cooked adobo pork), a dish from Yucatan is at its best. The queso fundido (melted cheese) get five stars with a side of fresh hand made corn tortillas (no comparison to a grocery corn tortilla). And the infused habanero tequila has a great spice to tone it up a notch. They have daily specials in appetizers, small entrees and main entrees. Two thumbs up !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Mexican FoodGusserVIPDined on 12/28/2013For starters we had fresh guacamole, which comes with 2 sides of salsas: red and green, and home made corn chips. For entree we tried the hurarache, which is a corn dough layer topped with beans, meat of your choice, cheese and salsa. It was outstanding, just like they do it in central Mexico. The other entree included the special of the day: a mahi mahi fish with a chipotle seasoning; also great. We didn't make into the desserts. The restaurant has a great variety of outstanding tequilas and various flight options. The appetizers in the menu looks very authentic from central mexico cuisine; will be back to try several of these. In summer they have a large front patio. Service was friendly and waiter came over several times to follow-up.Special Features: