1529 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mexiquechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128500288
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10:00am - 3:00pm Lunch: Tues - Fri 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Gaytan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mexique is available for private dining events for all occassions.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Sanders-Grush 3128500288
- Special Events: Join Chef Carlos Gaytan on Monday September 12, 2011 at 7pm for a special dining series "Back to Our Roots" where he will showcase the traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients that inspired him to create his unique French Influenced Mexican Cuisine at MEXIQUE. In this dinner Chef Carlos visits the flavors of Jalisco and offers a Four Course Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings highlighting the traditional cuisine of this region. Chef Carlos will also be providing cooking demonstrations for selected recipes in the evening’s menu. Join us for an interactive and unique dining experience! This event is by reservation only. Make your reservation today! **Please visit our website for menu details and pricing** Mexique is the perfect place for your special events or meeting! We assist in menu selection and full event execution. From lunch meetings to receptions, we'd love to help! Call to plan yours today!
A word from Mexique
Mexique is a full service restaurant offering modern Mexican cuisine with a French influence. French recipes and cooking techniques during the French occupation of Mexico in the 1860's became an important element in the evolution of modern Mexican gastronomy. Come join us at Mexique as we introduce this historical blending of French and Mexican cuisine with a modern personal style by Executive Chef Carlos Gaytan in a fun and casual environment. Walk-ins always welcome, but reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mexique - Best Restaurants in West Town ›
Mexique reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (171)special occasion (105)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (68)hot spot (37)good for groups (29)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Worth the Trip from NYCMMPPDined on 10/16/2014Well off the beaten path, a good 15 minute cab ride from tourist central, but incredible food and service. The waiter was charming, knowledgeable, and fun. Hot mole sauce with sliced french bread was a great innovation. First course we shared the mussels in a creamy broth which were about the most flavorful we have ever tasted. Complex preparations of fish with a stuffed date and duck with a kind of stuffing for the mains with a wonderful bottle of white Argentine Mendoza Torrontes 2011 wine, Andeluna1300. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary experienceGloutonnerieDined on 10/15/2014Is not in the Magnificent Mile, but it is superb (one Michelin star). You have to do a small effort to get there but it worthed. The Chef Gaytan usually walking around tables checking with the costumers their satisfaction and willing to do whatever is necessary to make you feel at home rounded the experience.
- ExelentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014La experiencia es única desde que lo ves por afuera y entras y es algo que no esperas, al igual que la comida La mezcla de sabores. Esta delicioso lo recomendaría al 100 y el chef Carlos muy buena persona.Special Features:
- Exceptional exceptional exceptionalShaggyDined on 10/14/2014Wonderful chef what takes fine dining French and turns it on int's head with Mexican influences such as a spicy Beurre Blanc. Don't miss this wonderful gem.Special Features:
- Creative cuisineChupiDined on 10/12/2014Great take on Mexican cuisine. If you appreciate taste of Mexican food (authentic) and creative /fusion cuisine you must visit! Presentation was excellent. Tastes were as expected from mexican cuisine: sharp contrasts in spices, subtle next to vibrant flavors, and heat as necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonBornDined on 10/12/2014We loved this place. The food is remarkable and the people make you feel that they enjoy having you there. An extraordinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWarbVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had an amazing meal at Mexique. Food was bursting with flavors. The tartare and ceviche appetizers as well as the duck entree were especially memorable. Even though it was a Sunday night, Carlos Gaytan was expediting and then making rounds at the tables, friendly and open and not above having a picture taken with him. I had dined at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill the night before, this was SO much better, much more complex food. If I'd live in Chicago, I would be back here regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiemamaDined on 10/12/2014Delicious food, beautifully presented, bursting with Mexican and French flavors. Unusual dishes, like chorizo crepes, are wonderful. Chocolate enchiladas for dessert! Service is lovely.Special Features:
- Better and betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014i have been coming here since they opened and you could get a table anytime. Now you have to make reservations or wait but it is so worth it. Creative but not silly. Flavorful but not overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique FusionDiningdivaVIPDined on 10/10/2014We loved the food pairings. The ceviche was delicious and so beautifully presented. Short ribs, Skate, and lamb were all fabulous. The hibiscus sangria was delightful. The desserts were unusual and phenomenal. We shared the avocado cream with sugared tortilla and habanero mango and the chocolate enchilada. We wanted to lick the plates. The chef introduced himself and asked if we had any questions. He answered our queries. We had a wonderful relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014REally enjoyed the menue great selection. very good service. would definitely return. Gerry N.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!BananaDined on 10/5/2014We had a group of 8 for a birthday dinner. It was fantastic! Very clean, with a friendly and professional staff. The food was incredible. The only possible negative would be that there is not a full bar. There is beer, wine, and sangria, but no cocktails. However, the sangria was delicious! I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative foodpcguy74Dined on 10/3/2014Best duck ever. I would come back just for that. Still wonder what makes this Michelin star worthy but it was really good food and excellent service. We would come back but will wait a while so it seems new again. Worth going to at least once or twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must try fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We had the tasting menu and Mexique nailed the fish plates! We had an ahi tuna ceviche and red snapper that was to die for. I'm a huge fish lover so I'm biased. The others at my table really liked the pork belly with peanut sauce. Wines were good. I wound have probably just ordered my fav wine next time instead of getting the pairings. We were lucky to have grabbed the table for four in the window, which was a little more private. Other tables seemed a little close together. Overall, it was a great experience. The wait staff was great, presentation was amazing! We'll be back for the snapper for sure!!Special Features:
- Cottage27Dined on 10/3/2014Just fabulous from start to finish! Definitely will go back to eat whatever really delicious food comes out of the kitchen! Staff equally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mexican Change-upTeamGVIPDined on 10/1/2014Really good high-end Mexican cuisine with french highlights. The only down side is limited menu. But, overall a nice change up for regular Mexican food. Sort of reminds me of Topolobombo, but a little more quaint and not as formal. I would recommend trying at least onceSpecial Features:
- Excellent tasting menujujumuccVIPDined on 9/30/2014We did the tasting menu and it was a great way to experience new dishes and flavors! His fall flavors were really lovely! And chef Carlos stopped by before we got started to say thanks for coming back (he knew we'd been there previously) :) nice staff and solid wine list, though a lot more California than I was expecting.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2014Exceptional second visit. Minor thing...hostess needs training.
- Not to be missed!Boomerdog1Dined on 9/28/2014The food here is fantastic. I wish I could have given it 6 stars! We had an early evening reservation and Top Chef Alum Carlos Gaytan greeted us at the door and took us to our table. He then spent several minutes talking with us and couldn't have been nicer. The service was outstanding. Knowledgeable and efficient, but also very warm and genuine. This was true from the main server all the way to the busboy. Although Mexique isn't cheap, the quality of the food and the wonderful service made it seem like a real bargain! Don't miss this restaurant. Also, street parking was easy to find.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We were in Chicago for a long weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday and were unable to get a table at our usual go-to high end Mexican restaurant. We decided to give Mexique a try and I am so glad we did! We went with the tasting menu with wine pairing and I would highly recommend this. Hands down, this was the best wine pairing I have had with a meal. Every course was delicious and the wine highlighted the cuisine perfectly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food and service second time there in a month!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen open late!MCB826VIPDined on 9/26/2014Happily surprised to get a reservation for 10:30pm last Friday (made reservation at 9:45pm). When we arrived, there were about eight other tables with diners still having dinner. We offered to order right away because we were worried that the kitchen was going to close down. The waiter very casually said to relax and take our time - the kitchen would wait until we were ready. The ceviche appetizer, the shrimp entree , the corn cake, and the melon panna cotta desserts - all fresh, creative & delicious!Special Features:
- Flavor PerfectionSavoringtheFlavorVIPDined on 9/26/2014How could those Top Chef judges not have chosen Chef Carlos Gaytan as the winner?! His ability to develop complex flavors that are umami yet have the perfect amount of heat in the background is amazing. From the bean spread for the bread to the mole, the flavor is sublime. I had the skate wing that was prepared perfectly with a nice buttery, rich finish. I asked for the habanero butter on the side as I really can't tolerate heat at all. Yet I found myself dipping my fish in this wonderful sauce to compliment the rich flavor of the skate wing. How could this dish be any more wonderful? But of course, with the accompanying tiny roasted cauliflower florets and grapes! I can't wait to go back and have the full 6 course tasting.Special Features:
- Yumkd8rVIPDined on 9/26/2014Every time I am here, I am so happy. The food is delicious and there is such a friendly vibe.Special Features:
- one of the best in the areaEricDined on 9/25/2014The food is simply amazing, the chef came over several times to thank us for coming and make sure everything was perfect. Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014EVERYTHING WAS GREAT - SERVICE, AMBIANCE, FOOD. I HAD THE 4 COURSE PRE-FIX MENU. THE CEVICHE WAS FRESH AND DELICIOUS. PUMPKIN SOUP WAS TO DIE FOR. MY HUSBAND HAD THE RACK OF LAMB AND HE SAID IT WAS THE BEST HE HAD EVER HAD. DESSERT WAS ALSO CREATIVE AND YUMMY. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANTSpecial Features:
- welcoming environment, fab food!lovediningoutDined on 9/23/2014Mexique never fails to please. I was there on a weekday evening around 7pm and it was not crowded, which kept the noise level down. The food was, as always, delicious. The chef/owner, Carlos, came out to greet us in his warm and friendly way. The service was excellent and each dish was prepared and presented beautifully. Mexique is one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- No3GalDined on 9/23/2014Mexican-French fusion. What more can I say? The food is truly unique and special. Guacamole for dessert? Yes, and it was sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/21/2014Both the skate and surf & turf were wonderful. Would like a standing reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinghowieVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went Mexique when it first opened. Too crowded, too noisy and very uncomfortable chairs. We went back last Saturday night. Sorry for the restaurant, but it was full, not packed. Perhaps that contributed to a wonderful evening? All the food was supurb. We had skate wing and duck and ate every bite. I had two glasses of red wine which were much better than the usual by the glass selections. Carlos, the celebrity chef, was working on site. Notoriety has not gone to his head and, perhaps, has caused him to remain focused on providing superior quality. The food was so excellent that the service (which was not excellent) could not mar our evening. Not only will we be back, but I intend to become a regular.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Dreamt about this place since the first time I went a year and a half ago during Restaurant week. It did not disappoint. Excellent service and absolutely amazing cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!CarpeDiemDined on 9/16/2014Originally made dinner reservations here and had to change to lunch time. Very quiet as we were the first customers of the day mid week. The waiter while very attentive was not fully informed on the food. Would recommend dinner as the scene is probably very different, but felt like the neighborhood was unsafe for the older folks in our group. Food presentation and atmosphere were excellent.Special Features:
- Superb qualityguidoDined on 9/14/2014Our recent visit to Mexique was outstanding. The service was of excellent quality. All of our dishes were delicious. For apps we had the mussels, rabbit and ceviche and for dinner the duck, lamb and braised beef. All were wonderfully tasty and beautifully plated. Both desserts we ordered were unique and satisfying especially the play on quacamole and chips. Next time we visit Chicago we will def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Duck Was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Duck in many cases is very greasy. But at Mexique it was done perfectly, not too dry and not too greasy. The flavor was wonderful. I had the enchiladas for desert, which was just OK. I do plan to return, with another date as the one I took does not eat any "game" and not much else except beef and port. ;-)Special Features:
- Great food and service.NigelladeliaDined on 9/11/2014A great restaurant with wonderful service. The food was delicious. The drinks were fabulous. The staff were so lovely and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique deserves its Michelin starDouganandaVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were excited to try the Michelin star winning Mexique but were only in town such that we could enjoy their weekend brunch, which sounded tasty enough, despite my fear that most brunches in general are afterthoughts at most restaurants. Mexique happily shattered that fear, as their brunch menu was not only creative sounding, it actually surpassed our expectations. We both LOVED the dishes we tried. I personally had a "waffles with duck carnitas" that playfully mimics the "fried chicken and waffles" food concept. Well, Mexique's sophisticated version was just perfection -- with spices that elevated the dish from mere comfort food to genuine foodie-worthy deliciousness! I'd return to Mexique in a heartbeat -- to try more of their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MexiqueFannetteDined on 9/5/2014We loved it! The atmosphere is nice, simple yet upscale. Service was good. But most of all, what was in the plates was literally outstanding! Very original flavors, perfect balance of spices, absolutely delicious. Even though my husband and I ordered a lot of food, we scraped out every plate!!!Special Features:
- innovative recipesCatalinatucson1Dined on 9/3/2014Complex flavors but portions did not properly fit the plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!BillBDined on 9/3/2014My second time and had tasting menu both visits. Truly an amazing blend of tastes and elegant presentation with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Food fabulous and service beyond superb. Just booked a business dinner and can't wait to return. Definitely a gem!Special Features: