1529 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mexiquechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128500288
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10:00am - 3:00pm Lunch: Tues - Fri 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Gaytan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mexique is available for private dining events for all occassions.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Sanders-Grush 3128500288
- Special Events: Join Chef Carlos Gaytan on Monday September 12, 2011 at 7pm for a special dining series "Back to Our Roots" where he will showcase the traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients that inspired him to create his unique French Influenced Mexican Cuisine at MEXIQUE. In this dinner Chef Carlos visits the flavors of Jalisco and offers a Four Course Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings highlighting the traditional cuisine of this region. Chef Carlos will also be providing cooking demonstrations for selected recipes in the evening’s menu. Join us for an interactive and unique dining experience! This event is by reservation only. Make your reservation today! **Please visit our website for menu details and pricing** Mexique is the perfect place for your special events or meeting! We assist in menu selection and full event execution. From lunch meetings to receptions, we'd love to help! Call to plan yours today!
A word from Mexique
Mexique is a full service restaurant offering modern Mexican cuisine with a French influence. French recipes and cooking techniques during the French occupation of Mexico in the 1860's became an important element in the evolution of modern Mexican gastronomy. Come join us at Mexique as we introduce this historical blending of French and Mexican cuisine with a modern personal style by Executive Chef Carlos Gaytan in a fun and casual environment. Walk-ins always welcome, but reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mexique - Best Restaurants in West Town ›
Mexique reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (176)special occasion (114)neighborhood gem (106)romantic (64)hot spot (37)good for groups (29)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (17)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We were in Chicago for a long weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday and were unable to get a table at our usual go-to high end Mexican restaurant. We decided to give Mexique a try and I am so glad we did! We went with the tasting menu with wine pairing and I would highly recommend this. Hands down, this was the best wine pairing I have had with a meal. Every course was delicious and the wine highlighted the cuisine perfectly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food and service second time there in a month!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen open late!MCB826VIPDined on 9/26/2014Happily surprised to get a reservation for 10:30pm last Friday (made reservation at 9:45pm). When we arrived, there were about eight other tables with diners still having dinner. We offered to order right away because we were worried that the kitchen was going to close down. The waiter very casually said to relax and take our time - the kitchen would wait until we were ready. The ceviche appetizer, the shrimp entree , the corn cake, and the melon panna cotta desserts - all fresh, creative & delicious!Special Features:
- Flavor PerfectionSavoringtheFlavorVIPDined on 9/26/2014How could those Top Chef judges not have chosen Chef Carlos Gaytan as the winner?! His ability to develop complex flavors that are umami yet have the perfect amount of heat in the background is amazing. From the bean spread for the bread to the mole, the flavor is sublime. I had the skate wing that was prepared perfectly with a nice buttery, rich finish. I asked for the habanero butter on the side as I really can't tolerate heat at all. Yet I found myself dipping my fish in this wonderful sauce to compliment the rich flavor of the skate wing. How could this dish be any more wonderful? But of course, with the accompanying tiny roasted cauliflower florets and grapes! I can't wait to go back and have the full 6 course tasting.Special Features:
- Yumkd8rVIPDined on 9/26/2014Every time I am here, I am so happy. The food is delicious and there is such a friendly vibe.Special Features:
- one of the best in the areaEricDined on 9/25/2014The food is simply amazing, the chef came over several times to thank us for coming and make sure everything was perfect. Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014EVERYTHING WAS GREAT - SERVICE, AMBIANCE, FOOD. I HAD THE 4 COURSE PRE-FIX MENU. THE CEVICHE WAS FRESH AND DELICIOUS. PUMPKIN SOUP WAS TO DIE FOR. MY HUSBAND HAD THE RACK OF LAMB AND HE SAID IT WAS THE BEST HE HAD EVER HAD. DESSERT WAS ALSO CREATIVE AND YUMMY. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANTSpecial Features:
- welcoming environment, fab food!lovediningoutDined on 9/23/2014Mexique never fails to please. I was there on a weekday evening around 7pm and it was not crowded, which kept the noise level down. The food was, as always, delicious. The chef/owner, Carlos, came out to greet us in his warm and friendly way. The service was excellent and each dish was prepared and presented beautifully. Mexique is one of my favorite restaurants!Special Features:
- No3GalDined on 9/23/2014Mexican-French fusion. What more can I say? The food is truly unique and special. Guacamole for dessert? Yes, and it was sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/21/2014Both the skate and surf & turf were wonderful. Would like a standing reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinghowieVIPDined on 9/20/2014We went Mexique when it first opened. Too crowded, too noisy and very uncomfortable chairs. We went back last Saturday night. Sorry for the restaurant, but it was full, not packed. Perhaps that contributed to a wonderful evening? All the food was supurb. We had skate wing and duck and ate every bite. I had two glasses of red wine which were much better than the usual by the glass selections. Carlos, the celebrity chef, was working on site. Notoriety has not gone to his head and, perhaps, has caused him to remain focused on providing superior quality. The food was so excellent that the service (which was not excellent) could not mar our evening. Not only will we be back, but I intend to become a regular.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/16/2014Dreamt about this place since the first time I went a year and a half ago during Restaurant week. It did not disappoint. Excellent service and absolutely amazing cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!CarpeDiemDined on 9/16/2014Originally made dinner reservations here and had to change to lunch time. Very quiet as we were the first customers of the day mid week. The waiter while very attentive was not fully informed on the food. Would recommend dinner as the scene is probably very different, but felt like the neighborhood was unsafe for the older folks in our group. Food presentation and atmosphere were excellent.Special Features:
- Superb qualityguidoDined on 9/14/2014Our recent visit to Mexique was outstanding. The service was of excellent quality. All of our dishes were delicious. For apps we had the mussels, rabbit and ceviche and for dinner the duck, lamb and braised beef. All were wonderfully tasty and beautifully plated. Both desserts we ordered were unique and satisfying especially the play on quacamole and chips. Next time we visit Chicago we will def go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Duck Was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Duck in many cases is very greasy. But at Mexique it was done perfectly, not too dry and not too greasy. The flavor was wonderful. I had the enchiladas for desert, which was just OK. I do plan to return, with another date as the one I took does not eat any "game" and not much else except beef and port. ;-)Special Features:
- Great food and service.NigelladeliaDined on 9/11/2014A great restaurant with wonderful service. The food was delicious. The drinks were fabulous. The staff were so lovely and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique deserves its Michelin starDouganandaVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were excited to try the Michelin star winning Mexique but were only in town such that we could enjoy their weekend brunch, which sounded tasty enough, despite my fear that most brunches in general are afterthoughts at most restaurants. Mexique happily shattered that fear, as their brunch menu was not only creative sounding, it actually surpassed our expectations. We both LOVED the dishes we tried. I personally had a "waffles with duck carnitas" that playfully mimics the "fried chicken and waffles" food concept. Well, Mexique's sophisticated version was just perfection -- with spices that elevated the dish from mere comfort food to genuine foodie-worthy deliciousness! I'd return to Mexique in a heartbeat -- to try more of their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MexiqueFannetteDined on 9/5/2014We loved it! The atmosphere is nice, simple yet upscale. Service was good. But most of all, what was in the plates was literally outstanding! Very original flavors, perfect balance of spices, absolutely delicious. Even though my husband and I ordered a lot of food, we scraped out every plate!!!Special Features:
- innovative recipesCatalinatucson1Dined on 9/3/2014Complex flavors but portions did not properly fit the plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!BillBDined on 9/3/2014My second time and had tasting menu both visits. Truly an amazing blend of tastes and elegant presentation with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Food fabulous and service beyond superb. Just booked a business dinner and can't wait to return. Definitely a gem!Special Features:
- Beautifully executedJilloVIPDined on 8/30/2014Will return as soon as possible! Started with the hamachi "ceviche"- really crudo, not ceviche, and oh, so delicious! Shareable portion of beautiful slices of hamachi, with spicy wasabi cream, diced mango and slices of plum and radish. Love the micro green garnishes on everything! For dinner, the seared tuna with pork cakes was absolutely delicious, a little sweet, and the duck breast and confit was FABULOUS! Desserts are unusual and well executed, but not for traditionalists.Special Features:
- amazingnoaraVIPDined on 8/30/2014I've been to Mexique about 5 times now. It's always wonderful, but the tasting menu we had the other night was incredible. Some of the best food any of us have had, and we're frequent restaurant goers. I'm still dreaming about some of the dishes, which were simply perfect. Wine pairing was also impeccable.Special Features:
- Fantastic!ShaninTVIPDined on 8/29/2014The mussels are a must have and the mole is the best I have ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well mixedthanksDined on 8/29/2014dishes combine odd sauces with your favorite entrees and appetizers - and they taste great (who'd have thought that veges and fruits could lightly smother fish and Mexican dishes so nicely?)Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Love the sauces on the pork belly. Fantastic sopes. Spices on the lamb were delicious.Special Features:
- Great service and dinnerGuestofTheCosmoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Good balance of great good with Mexican influences to the combinations of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably goodPatomDined on 8/28/2014The most amazing meal we've had. I am Mexican, I love cooking and all I can say is that the food here has been taken to an another level. The sauces are extraordinary, the meats cooked to perfection, the duck melted in our mouths. Presentetion is beautiful!! The service was friendly and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredibleDaleDined on 8/27/2014Every item tried by our party of 4 had unique imaginative flavors. This was one of our best meals ever!Special Features:
- Chef turns a bad experience aroundChifrogVIPDined on 8/23/2014We got there 10 minutes before the other 2 and our reservation and were asked to sit at bar Apparently no bartender, 1 guy said someone would be with us in a minute, never to return Reservation was 8 and our guests arrived on time only to be told it would be 10 more mins by hostess Went back to the bar to be ignored for 10 more mins, talked to the hostess, table still not ready, can we get a drink? We finally got a drink 30 mins after we 1st sat down The chef sent an app out cause we waited 25 mins past res time Finally seated 35 mins past 8, where we sat for 10 more mins until the chef came by, he got us a server right away The wine was delicious and the food was absolutely fantastic! Saved the day, we will try once more due to turnaroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesometrainer7765Dined on 8/22/2014One of my most favorite places that I ate in Chicago. The food was amazing and the service was great as well. This is a must do if you are in chicago and love food.Special Features:
- Surprising off the beaten pathThomasDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful twist on Mexican cuisine. This chef is at the top of his game. Not in downtown but just a short cab ride. Worth the effortSpecial Features:
- Creative CuisinecalebbrewsterDined on 8/21/2014Michelin star is well-deserved; defenitely in the creative gourmet category. We opted for appetizer+entree+dessert for around $50 instead of the $75 tasting menu. Pork belly + giant shrimp entree and the mahi mahi entree were both outstanding. Appetizer and dessert portions are large and worked well sharing three for party of four. Good wine list by the glass. Store front looks shabby but interior ambience and noise level very good, better than expected. Very friendly service. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Don't miss MexiquecharmboyDined on 8/20/2014First, the idea of fusion between Mexican and French is what attracted us to try Mexique. Then we were pleasantly surprised by the choices on the menu, compelling us to try several started to split. The skate wing entre was delightful and the side dish even better. Service was consistent, friendly and attentive w/o being overbearing. Chef Carlos was doing what any good owner would do....checking each meal and visiting an occasional table. Don't be confused by the neighborhood. You must try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love fusion foodGinaRUDined on 8/16/2014I love fusion food, so was definitely up for trying Mexican/French fusion. Exceeded expectationsSpecial Features:
- Really liked it!FHoustonDined on 8/16/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing and it was really good! My only complaint would be that the franco-mexican fusion is not that evident sometimes (sometimes it was a bit more like Mexican-Asian), but the food is really good nonetheless.Special Features:
- Brunch with out-of-townersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I had relatives visiting from out of town and they were looking for a good place to have brunch. I had never tried Mexique before and was intrigued by it. We had a wonderful time with delicious food and they want to come back next time they visit. I really couldn't have asked for a better crowd pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!FoodieDined on 8/16/2014What a find in Chicago!! Absolutely fabulous brunch experience. Crab cakes over eggs--OMG!! Can't wait to return to try the dinner menu. Service was top notch. Quaint table up front allowed us to look out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique Won't DisappointKostasgalDined on 8/15/2014Hands down the best meal we had in Chicago. I totally see why they have one Michelin star. Every dish shined. I could have eaten 3 bowls of their chilled soup. We did the tasting menu and it was worth every penny. The wine pairings were excellent and complimented each dish. Service could not have been better. Chicago has great restaurants and this one shines. We will dine here every time we return to Chicago. Each dish had many components. The duck, sole and pork dishes were all cooked perfectly. The dessert was beautiful! My husband and I are used to DC restaurant prices. Mexique is worth every penny!!!Special Features:
- Mexique - Never disappointedSPGChicagoVIPDined on 8/15/2014No matter how often we go to Mexique, we are always delighted. Whether we choose a dish we've had before (can't seem to deny myself the Sopes) or a new menu dish or one of the evening's specials, every dish is outstanding. This visit, sole was the fish special and it was truly delicious, with a wonderful blend of sauces, but respectful treatment of the fish and a perfect sized portion. We always leave looking forward to our next visit.Special Features: