1529 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mexiquechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 850-0288
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10:00am - 3:00pm Lunch: Tues - Fri 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Gaytan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mexique is available for private dining events for all occassions.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Sanders-Grush 3128500288
- Special Events: Join Chef Carlos Gaytan on Monday September 12, 2011 at 7pm for a special dining series "Back to Our Roots" where he will showcase the traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients that inspired him to create his unique French Influenced Mexican Cuisine at MEXIQUE. In this dinner Chef Carlos visits the flavors of Jalisco and offers a Four Course Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings highlighting the traditional cuisine of this region. Chef Carlos will also be providing cooking demonstrations for selected recipes in the evening’s menu. Join us for an interactive and unique dining experience! This event is by reservation only. Make your reservation today! **Please visit our website for menu details and pricing** Mexique is the perfect place for your special events or meeting! We assist in menu selection and full event execution. From lunch meetings to receptions, we'd love to help! Call to plan yours today!
A word from Mexique
Mexique is a full service restaurant offering modern Mexican cuisine with a French influence. French recipes and cooking techniques during the French occupation of Mexico in the 1860's became an important element in the evolution of modern Mexican gastronomy. Come join us at Mexique as we introduce this historical blending of French and Mexican cuisine with a modern personal style by Executive Chef Carlos Gaytan in a fun and casual environment. Walk-ins always welcome, but reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mexique - Best Restaurants in West Town ›
Mexique reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (175)neighborhood gem (107)special occasion (101)romantic (64)hot spot (40)good for groups (35)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- High expectations and did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Mexique came highly recommended and the food and service were outstanding. The menu made it the decisions tough but recommend the barbacoa pollo, ceviche, poblano pepper and asada. Our table was in front of the door and did not get to experience the full restaurant ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We chose Mexique based on the online descriptions for a last meal in Chicago before flying home to France. We didn't really know what to expect and were happily surprised by the awesomeness of the food, the great service and the interesting take on Mexican cuisine. My only regret is that we were not able to have dinner there without missing our flight. No doubt in my mind that I will be back again to try the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but So goodTheHillDined on 11/14/2014Excellent service. Great food. Tables in a long line so a little loud but still enjoyable. We had 3 different meals and all were goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Everything was fantastic, except the portions were very small, and the price was very expensive. I was expecting larger portions for a lower price, but wasn't really sure what to expect, so maybe my expectations were off. This restaurant had only two $$, so I was expected cheaper and larger meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is beyond deliciousFoodhunterVIPDined on 11/11/2014Best short ribs ever eaten! This coming from a very picky eaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible BrunchHockeygalDined on 11/9/2014The food was incredible. Our server was wonderful and suggested items we normally wouldn't have been drawn to. I love this place and am planning a return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dinningDrfritzVIPDined on 11/8/2014We went on the recommendation of local friends, who mentioned they had a Michelin Star. Which they do, for two years running. They did not disappoint. While the food was Mexican in nature, it also had an extra refinement that brought it up to another level. The duck was great and the rabbit starter was great. We didn't try the wine list, but rather tried two of the 5 Rabbit beers; both were very good and went well with the food.Special Features:
- Delicious and innovative mealaCookEatsOutDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful meal! The innovative Mexican-French blend was great. I had skate wing (had not had it before) and the ancho chile seasoning was great with this tender white fish. It was served on a bed of spinach cooked with grapes, raisins, pistachios, and tiny pieces of roasted cauliflower. The mixture was a delicious blend of textures and flavors. My friends loved their meals too. Wine list appropriately included several wines from Argentina and the Torrontes was excellent with the fish. The desserts were incredible-in concept, presentation, and deliciousness. We had the crepes (enchiladas with chocolate ganache and mole sauce) and the saffron polenta cake with ginger sauce. I only wish we lived in Chicago so we could go back more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate atmosphere, creative menuSydneyDined on 11/7/2014Delicious! Service was excellent. Very personable waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty mealMaryDined on 11/6/2014My husband and I did the tasting menu- delicious food, well prepared and not "inventive just to be inventive". Heat was moderate in most dishes and in no case overwhelmed the other flavors. Time between courses was kind of long, but our server was very nice and did keep us updated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidFakeFoodieDined on 11/1/2014Went here for an anniversary dinner. Overall a very good experience and well worth the trip. The mussels are superb. My only issue: I ordered duck on the recommendation of someone I truly trust when it comes to menu options. Still can't get used to the idea of any poultry being served medium-rare. The thigh portion was absolutely delicious. The breast, which more rare than medium-rare, was just OK.Special Features:
- Still SatisfiesWinedudeVIPDined on 11/1/2014We were one of Mexique's first customers...long before Top Chef and the Michelin Star. We are pleased that Carlos has received the accolades and success that he truly deserves. He is one of the friendliest and classiest chefs we have ever known. His restaurant continues to deliver creative Mexican/French fusion. Service is helpful and efficient. We have sampled almost everything on the menu over the past few years and there are no weaknesses. Just wish they had a full bar and a bit more interesting wine list.Special Features:
- Always fabulousMomSaysVIPDined on 11/1/2014The special tuna seviche and the dorado entree were terrific. It's often hard to choose between favorites & new items but always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappycustomerVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful meal. The skate was the best we have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant, great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Unique dining experience. Staff were attentive and jovial. Menu was explained well. Food came promptly and preparation was a delight to see... Desserts left little more to be desired. Overall the value is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique, a true gemKaybeeDined on 10/31/2014Mexique is the product of Chef Carlos Gaitan's passion, vision and commitment. Every dish is an indulgent source of wonder and pleasure. There were four of us in our party, so we were able to order an array of appetizers and entrees, of which each of us had at least a sample. No two dishes even begin to look alike or overlap in tastes. The ambiance is warm and contempo, and enhances the pleasure of dining. The night we were there it was a bit quieter than usual--when full, one would expect a higher noise level. Finally, our server was helpful, engaging, and attentive. Interested diners should note that the kitchen staff has had no turnover since the restaurant opened about 7 years ago--a rare claim. Mexique has been awarded a Michelin star.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014Dinner at Mexique was outstanding. The food quality, presentation and service all terrific. The restaurant offers both a la carte as well as a tasting menu. Wonderful evening...we will be back soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014As always, the food was on point and so was the service. Love bringing new people here to enjoy the yummy/fun dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good nightOut4niteJDined on 10/25/2014Service was great. Food was very good but a bit overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Treat!SooFoodieDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I were so pleased with the wonderful meal and ambiance of Mexique. It was a perfect setting for a cozy date night dinner during our visit to Chicago. The staff was pleasant and attentive, but most importantly - the food was amazing! We wanted to try a good variety of foods but, because we are fairly light eaters, we were quite sure that the six course tasting dinner for each of us would be too much. Instead, we followed a suggestion by our server and shared a variety of plates including the three daily specials which are part of the tasting menu. It was perfect! Our favorite dish was the Tartara De Carne. The flavors, textures and presentation were incredible. We highly recommend Mexique!Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican/French cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/24/2014Lovely restaurant with a chill vibe serving Michellin worthy cuisine. The housemade hibiscus sangria is a wonderful way to start the meal along with the barbacoa chicken. The duck in tamarind, a menu regular, is outstanding. Portion sizes are perfect Desert however is uninspiring. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a gem!chidinerDined on 10/18/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem in the city. Mexican with a french fusion gives each meal a unique presentation and taste. The regular tasting menu and the vegetarian tasting menu were both exceptional. We did not know what to expect, but this truly went beyond our expectations. The service was excellent as well. We will definitely return in the future and recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Don't understand why this place is rated so highly. The food was average, the service was dreadful and the ambiance is cheap.Special Features:
- Real flavors of the Mexican cuisineLuv4foodDined on 10/17/2014Mexique won't disappoint you. In fact, it will open your expectations of Mexican flavor repertoire. Those flavors you probably don't relate to Mexican cuisine. Traditional dishes converted into modern creations that remind Mexicans (like me) of our childhood or of those trips to the small towns we had forgotten we made. This is truly Mexican with a modern and superb creative touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Trip from NYCMMPPDined on 10/16/2014Well off the beaten path, a good 15 minute cab ride from tourist central, but incredible food and service. The waiter was charming, knowledgeable, and fun. Hot mole sauce with sliced french bread was a great innovation. First course we shared the mussels in a creamy broth which were about the most flavorful we have ever tasted. Complex preparations of fish with a stuffed date and duck with a kind of stuffing for the mains with a wonderful bottle of white Argentine Mendoza Torrontes 2011 wine, Andeluna1300. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary experienceGloutonnerieDined on 10/15/2014Is not in the Magnificent Mile, but it is superb (one Michelin star). You have to do a small effort to get there but it worthed. The Chef Gaytan usually walking around tables checking with the costumers their satisfaction and willing to do whatever is necessary to make you feel at home rounded the experience.
- ExelentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014La experiencia es única desde que lo ves por afuera y entras y es algo que no esperas, al igual que la comida La mezcla de sabores. Esta delicioso lo recomendaría al 100 y el chef Carlos muy buena persona.Special Features:
- Exceptional exceptional exceptionalShaggyDined on 10/14/2014Wonderful chef what takes fine dining French and turns it on int's head with Mexican influences such as a spicy Beurre Blanc. Don't miss this wonderful gem.Special Features:
- Creative cuisineChupiDined on 10/12/2014Great take on Mexican cuisine. If you appreciate taste of Mexican food (authentic) and creative /fusion cuisine you must visit! Presentation was excellent. Tastes were as expected from mexican cuisine: sharp contrasts in spices, subtle next to vibrant flavors, and heat as necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonBornDined on 10/12/2014We loved this place. The food is remarkable and the people make you feel that they enjoy having you there. An extraordinary experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingWarbVIPDined on 10/12/2014Had an amazing meal at Mexique. Food was bursting with flavors. The tartare and ceviche appetizers as well as the duck entree were especially memorable. Even though it was a Sunday night, Carlos Gaytan was expediting and then making rounds at the tables, friendly and open and not above having a picture taken with him. I had dined at Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill the night before, this was SO much better, much more complex food. If I'd live in Chicago, I would be back here regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiemamaDined on 10/12/2014Delicious food, beautifully presented, bursting with Mexican and French flavors. Unusual dishes, like chorizo crepes, are wonderful. Chocolate enchiladas for dessert! Service is lovely.Special Features:
- Better and betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014i have been coming here since they opened and you could get a table anytime. Now you have to make reservations or wait but it is so worth it. Creative but not silly. Flavorful but not overpowering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in Recent MemoryDGAMD83Dined on 10/11/2014We dined with friends' of the owner and had a remarkable meal. All aspect of the evening could not have been better including the service, the presentation of the food and the fabulous flavors. Certainly one of the better dining experiences I have had. Although the dinner was a little pricey, it was by no means excessive for the level of the experience. I have paid a lot more elsewhere for a lot less of a meal. Truly a great restaurant worth trying.Special Features:
- Unique FusionDiningdivaVIPDined on 10/10/2014We loved the food pairings. The ceviche was delicious and so beautifully presented. Short ribs, Skate, and lamb were all fabulous. The hibiscus sangria was delightful. The desserts were unusual and phenomenal. We shared the avocado cream with sugared tortilla and habanero mango and the chocolate enchilada. We wanted to lick the plates. The chef introduced himself and asked if we had any questions. He answered our queries. We had a wonderful relaxing dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2014REally enjoyed the menue great selection. very good service. would definitely return. Gerry N.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!BananaDined on 10/5/2014We had a group of 8 for a birthday dinner. It was fantastic! Very clean, with a friendly and professional staff. The food was incredible. The only possible negative would be that there is not a full bar. There is beer, wine, and sangria, but no cocktails. However, the sangria was delicious! I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative foodpcguy74Dined on 10/3/2014Best duck ever. I would come back just for that. Still wonder what makes this Michelin star worthy but it was really good food and excellent service. We would come back but will wait a while so it seems new again. Worth going to at least once or twice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must try fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014We had the tasting menu and Mexique nailed the fish plates! We had an ahi tuna ceviche and red snapper that was to die for. I'm a huge fish lover so I'm biased. The others at my table really liked the pork belly with peanut sauce. Wines were good. I wound have probably just ordered my fav wine next time instead of getting the pairings. We were lucky to have grabbed the table for four in the window, which was a little more private. Other tables seemed a little close together. Overall, it was a great experience. The wait staff was great, presentation was amazing! We'll be back for the snapper for sure!!Special Features:
- Cottage27Dined on 10/3/2014Just fabulous from start to finish! Definitely will go back to eat whatever really delicious food comes out of the kitchen! Staff equally outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.