1529 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60622Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mexiquechicago.com/
- Phone: 3128500288
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun 10:00am - 3:00pm Lunch: Tues - Fri 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Gaytan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mexique is available for private dining events for all occassions.
- Private Party Contact: Cynthia Sanders-Grush 3128500288
- Special Events: Join Chef Carlos Gaytan on Monday September 12, 2011 at 7pm for a special dining series "Back to Our Roots" where he will showcase the traditional Mexican flavors and ingredients that inspired him to create his unique French Influenced Mexican Cuisine at MEXIQUE. In this dinner Chef Carlos visits the flavors of Jalisco and offers a Four Course Tasting Menu with Wine Pairings highlighting the traditional cuisine of this region. Chef Carlos will also be providing cooking demonstrations for selected recipes in the evening’s menu. Join us for an interactive and unique dining experience! This event is by reservation only. Make your reservation today! **Please visit our website for menu details and pricing** Mexique is the perfect place for your special events or meeting! We assist in menu selection and full event execution. From lunch meetings to receptions, we'd love to help! Call to plan yours today!
A word from Mexique
Mexique is a full service restaurant offering modern Mexican cuisine with a French influence. French recipes and cooking techniques during the French occupation of Mexico in the 1860's became an important element in the evolution of modern Mexican gastronomy. Come join us at Mexique as we introduce this historical blending of French and Mexican cuisine with a modern personal style by Executive Chef Carlos Gaytan in a fun and casual environment. Walk-ins always welcome, but reservations are highly recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Mexique - Best Restaurants in West Town ›
Mexique reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (167)special occasion (117)neighborhood gem (101)romantic (69)hot spot (40)good for groups (30)great for brunch (30)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (18)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- The Duck Was perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Duck in many cases is very greasy. But at Mexique it was done perfectly, not too dry and not too greasy. The flavor was wonderful. I had the enchiladas for desert, which was just OK. I do plan to return, with another date as the one I took does not eat any "game" and not much else except beef and port. ;-)Special Features:
- Great food and service.NigelladeliaDined on 9/11/2014A great restaurant with wonderful service. The food was delicious. The drinks were fabulous. The staff were so lovely and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique deserves its Michelin starDouganandaVIPDined on 9/6/2014We were excited to try the Michelin star winning Mexique but were only in town such that we could enjoy their weekend brunch, which sounded tasty enough, despite my fear that most brunches in general are afterthoughts at most restaurants. Mexique happily shattered that fear, as their brunch menu was not only creative sounding, it actually surpassed our expectations. We both LOVED the dishes we tried. I personally had a "waffles with duck carnitas" that playfully mimics the "fried chicken and waffles" food concept. Well, Mexique's sophisticated version was just perfection -- with spices that elevated the dish from mere comfort food to genuine foodie-worthy deliciousness! I'd return to Mexique in a heartbeat -- to try more of their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MexiqueFannetteDined on 9/5/2014We loved it! The atmosphere is nice, simple yet upscale. Service was good. But most of all, what was in the plates was literally outstanding! Very original flavors, perfect balance of spices, absolutely delicious. Even though my husband and I ordered a lot of food, we scraped out every plate!!!Special Features:
- innovative recipesCatalinatucson1Dined on 9/3/2014Complex flavors but portions did not properly fit the plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic find!BillBDined on 9/3/2014My second time and had tasting menu both visits. Truly an amazing blend of tastes and elegant presentation with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/31/2014Food fabulous and service beyond superb. Just booked a business dinner and can't wait to return. Definitely a gem!Special Features:
- Beautifully executedJilloVIPDined on 8/30/2014Will return as soon as possible! Started with the hamachi "ceviche"- really crudo, not ceviche, and oh, so delicious! Shareable portion of beautiful slices of hamachi, with spicy wasabi cream, diced mango and slices of plum and radish. Love the micro green garnishes on everything! For dinner, the seared tuna with pork cakes was absolutely delicious, a little sweet, and the duck breast and confit was FABULOUS! Desserts are unusual and well executed, but not for traditionalists.Special Features:
- amazingnoaraDined on 8/30/2014I've been to Mexique about 5 times now. It's always wonderful, but the tasting menu we had the other night was incredible. Some of the best food any of us have had, and we're frequent restaurant goers. I'm still dreaming about some of the dishes, which were simply perfect. Wine pairing was also impeccable.Special Features:
- Fantastic!ShaninTVIPDined on 8/29/2014The mussels are a must have and the mole is the best I have ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well mixedthanksDined on 8/29/2014dishes combine odd sauces with your favorite entrees and appetizers - and they taste great (who'd have thought that veges and fruits could lightly smother fish and Mexican dishes so nicely?)Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Love the sauces on the pork belly. Fantastic sopes. Spices on the lamb were delicious.Special Features:
- Great service and dinnerGuestofTheCosmoVIPDined on 8/28/2014Good balance of great good with Mexican influences to the combinations of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably goodPatomDined on 8/28/2014The most amazing meal we've had. I am Mexican, I love cooking and all I can say is that the food here has been taken to an another level. The sauces are extraordinary, the meats cooked to perfection, the duck melted in our mouths. Presentetion is beautiful!! The service was friendly and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- incredibleDaleDined on 8/27/2014Every item tried by our party of 4 had unique imaginative flavors. This was one of our best meals ever!Special Features:
- Chef turns a bad experience aroundChifrogVIPDined on 8/23/2014We got there 10 minutes before the other 2 and our reservation and were asked to sit at bar Apparently no bartender, 1 guy said someone would be with us in a minute, never to return Reservation was 8 and our guests arrived on time only to be told it would be 10 more mins by hostess Went back to the bar to be ignored for 10 more mins, talked to the hostess, table still not ready, can we get a drink? We finally got a drink 30 mins after we 1st sat down The chef sent an app out cause we waited 25 mins past res time Finally seated 35 mins past 8, where we sat for 10 more mins until the chef came by, he got us a server right away The wine was delicious and the food was absolutely fantastic! Saved the day, we will try once more due to turnaroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesometrainer7765Dined on 8/22/2014One of my most favorite places that I ate in Chicago. The food was amazing and the service was great as well. This is a must do if you are in chicago and love food.Special Features:
- Surprising off the beaten pathThomasDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful twist on Mexican cuisine. This chef is at the top of his game. Not in downtown but just a short cab ride. Worth the effortSpecial Features:
- Creative CuisinecalebbrewsterDined on 8/21/2014Michelin star is well-deserved; defenitely in the creative gourmet category. We opted for appetizer+entree+dessert for around $50 instead of the $75 tasting menu. Pork belly + giant shrimp entree and the mahi mahi entree were both outstanding. Appetizer and dessert portions are large and worked well sharing three for party of four. Good wine list by the glass. Store front looks shabby but interior ambience and noise level very good, better than expected. Very friendly service. Will returnSpecial Features:
- Don't miss MexiquecharmboyDined on 8/20/2014First, the idea of fusion between Mexican and French is what attracted us to try Mexique. Then we were pleasantly surprised by the choices on the menu, compelling us to try several started to split. The skate wing entre was delightful and the side dish even better. Service was consistent, friendly and attentive w/o being overbearing. Chef Carlos was doing what any good owner would do....checking each meal and visiting an occasional table. Don't be confused by the neighborhood. You must try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love fusion foodGinaRUDined on 8/16/2014I love fusion food, so was definitely up for trying Mexican/French fusion. Exceeded expectationsSpecial Features:
- Really liked it!FHoustonDined on 8/16/2014We had the tasting menu with wine pairing and it was really good! My only complaint would be that the franco-mexican fusion is not that evident sometimes (sometimes it was a bit more like Mexican-Asian), but the food is really good nonetheless.Special Features:
- Brunch with out-of-townersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014I had relatives visiting from out of town and they were looking for a good place to have brunch. I had never tried Mexique before and was intrigued by it. We had a wonderful time with delicious food and they want to come back next time they visit. I really couldn't have asked for a better crowd pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!FoodieDined on 8/16/2014What a find in Chicago!! Absolutely fabulous brunch experience. Crab cakes over eggs--OMG!! Can't wait to return to try the dinner menu. Service was top notch. Quaint table up front allowed us to look out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexique Won't DisappointKostasgalDined on 8/15/2014Hands down the best meal we had in Chicago. I totally see why they have one Michelin star. Every dish shined. I could have eaten 3 bowls of their chilled soup. We did the tasting menu and it was worth every penny. The wine pairings were excellent and complimented each dish. Service could not have been better. Chicago has great restaurants and this one shines. We will dine here every time we return to Chicago. Each dish had many components. The duck, sole and pork dishes were all cooked perfectly. The dessert was beautiful! My husband and I are used to DC restaurant prices. Mexique is worth every penny!!!Special Features:
- Mexique - Never disappointedSPGChicagoVIPDined on 8/15/2014No matter how often we go to Mexique, we are always delighted. Whether we choose a dish we've had before (can't seem to deny myself the Sopes) or a new menu dish or one of the evening's specials, every dish is outstanding. This visit, sole was the fish special and it was truly delicious, with a wonderful blend of sauces, but respectful treatment of the fish and a perfect sized portion. We always leave looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFoodieDined on 8/14/2014Great little restaurant. Limited seating and noisy but the food makes it worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was devinealaskajenDined on 8/9/2014Both my pork and my friend's duck were cooked perfectly. Falling apart in our mouths as we smiled and quickly went for yet another bite. I was tempted to lick my plate of mole and tomatillo sauce. Incredible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experience we had was amazingMChicagoDined on 8/9/2014The chef greeted us as we walked in. That is always a good sign. The service, relaxed atmosphere and food was outstanding. All four of our party ordered the tasting menu and two of us ordered the wine paring. All I can say is aI am looking forward to going back. The tasting menu is a great way to experience Chef Carlos Gaytan's technique with a variety of protiens. The wine paring was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was absolutely delicious. We did the 6 course tasting menu, and the chef accommodated dietary restrictions wonderfully without compromising integrity of food (I am a vegetarian). The chef came out and greeted all the tables. Excellent food and nice comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:
- Beautiful food, but...DDKEDined on 8/8/2014Without a doubt, the play presentation was masterful. Truly beautiful, but the food was lacking the type of flavor that would complement such beauty. The order to fish dishes and both were on the bland side. By the time our dinner was completed, the restaurant was packed. Obviously, they are giving something right, and maybe our dishes were just poorly season. Nonetheless, I would recommend coming to check out this restaurant as a new opportunity to discover you're not so ordinary Mexican cuisine.Special Features:
- great placemateoDined on 8/5/2014i never really write reviews but i have to this time. as always the food was great!!! i love that the chef, carlos gaytan, always has time to visit with us at our table. we usually try to go 3-4 times a year and try the tasting menu. it varies with the season but i must say i have never been disappointed. apart from the chef coming in at 4th place on TOP CHEF (which i followed closely) he is so down to earth and fun to talk too.. he does not have that h and mighty attitude as i have encountered before. Carlos, his staff and his restaurant are a CHICAGO GEM! iam honored to have MEXIQUE as part of chicago!!Special Features:
- Great sauces !!!!MelanieDined on 8/5/2014Wonderful flavors and combinations. A true delight for foodies. Wonderful way to put the two cuisines together. Well done!!! Nice touch to have the chief greet the table after the dinner to ask for input.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious experienceelectriklizDined on 8/5/2014our experience at mexique was amazing - the food was all cooked perfectly, and the fish for the ceviche was the freshest fish I've ever had. the owner came out and asked about our meal which was really cool, and the service in general was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!joshb2247Dined on 8/3/2014This place is great. Somewhat unassuming as you pull up, but the food is unreal. Had the trio of sopes appetizer and the escargot sope I wish I could have had a whole plate of. Got surf and turf for entree and it was delicious as well. And had the ancho-chile chocolate ganache enchiladas for dessert, which just typing this is making me hungry for it again. This place is not scared to pack a ton of flavor into each dish. Definitely do not need to worry about where the salt n pepper is (which is a good thing, to me). If/when we are back in Chicago, will be back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingcajungalDined on 8/2/2014My daughter and I went on a Saturday. We had a reservation for 2:30 which looks like it is the last slot before closing for dinner prep. First the positives: the sangria was excellent. The space is lovely. I had the pulled pork with homemade tortillas. It was pretty incredible. My daughter had the shrimp which she really liked. The cons were so easily fixable but horrible. We got there at 2:33 by my watch. We waited for 5 minutes before anybody came out. That should have been a clue. We both got coffee (whcih was not good) and no one ever asked if we wanted a refill (which we did). Everyone (including people from the klitchen) studiously avoided looking at us. No one stopped by to ask how everything was.Special Features:
- FantasticgamedayVIPDined on 8/1/2014Creative and delicious choices. First course items were tremendous followed by very tasty main course dishes. Our group shared all items to allow all of us to experience a wide variety of the menu. It was a very fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it, will be backspicygarlicVIPDined on 7/27/2014Mexique was super accommodating and everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Sat. dinnerCynieDined on 7/26/2014We eat at Mexique often, especially when friends come from out of town. There are many more fish dishes on menu. We had corvina and skate.... excellent!Special Features:
- Excellent food, fun to meet CarlosRPMomDined on 7/24/2014The food at Mexique was close-your-eyes good. We had the tres sopes, escolar fish dish, and pork belly. All delicious. Hibiscus sangria was awesome too. It was very fun to meet Carlos as we are huge Top Chef fans. He was so friendly and personable, it was really nice that he genuinely cared about meeting and making sure each guest was having a great experience.Special Features: