7501 Lone Star Drive
Suite B 150
Plano, TX 75024Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mexicansugarcocina.com/
- Phone: (972) 943-0984
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: John Franke
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Karyn Detzel 9729430984x
A word from Mexican Sugar
Texas loves Mexican food, and at Mexican Sugar, we redefine it! Sultry Mexican comfort. A smart, stylish hacienda design meets the definitive southwest tequila library. Small batch cocktails flow from taps while soft candles and intoxicating Latin rhythms set the tone… local ingredients, fresh fish, and a live wood grill come together to create of handmade - everything. You’ll get the full spoonful of sugar seven days and seven nights a week. Join us… act like you own the place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Mexican Sugar - Best Restaurants in Plano ›
Mexican Sugar reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (15)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (13)hot spot (12)great for lunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (8)great for brunch (7)romantic (3)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Wonderful ...as always!SonyaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Have yet to have anything disappointing on menu...always exceptional.Special Features:
- Farm to Table Remixedpvan25VIPDined on 11/7/2014This was my first visit to Mexican Sugar. I was impressed with the on-point service and farm-to-table-done-Mexican concept. I had the Spicy Habanero Tacos and they were very delicious. Accompanying my meal was their fresh melon juice which I found to be very refreshing. I would highly recommend Mexican Sugar to anyone looking for fresh Mexican food done in a contemporary way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a good experinceFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2014As usual, service is slow. Food was not prepared as requested. Just not a good experience this time.Special Features:
- Good but NoisyToaysRusDined on 10/28/2014I am a fan of Mexican Sugar. I recommend it often. However, it always comes with the caveat of; it's loud. So, if you find yourself say in a group of 6+ - during the busy dinner rush, be prepared to smile and drink a lot while raising your voice. My older friends don't care for it. I LOVE the queso here, the cool feel, and their menu is incentive without pricing out of the park. Good value for this area. On this particular visit at 830pm/tues, we had 5 different servers, yet spotty service. This was much different from what I've experienced before. While knowledgeable and nice, we were flagging down folks for drinks and food until we left. Mgmt made special gestures to make up for it and that was cool. We will be back, but cautiously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your father's tex-mexfoodwithtudeDined on 10/2/2014A wonderful departure from standard tex-mex but not so far as to be considered weird. Hibiscus margarita stellar - goes down smooth and leaves a nice warm buzz. Queso fabulous; chips thin, crisp and hot. Salsa perfect blend of smoke and sass. Had the brisket tacos; meat was tender and salsa verde had a nice jump to it. Too full for dessert! Service was very attentive; manager saw that we were not immediately approached for our drink order upon arrival so comped our appetizers; class move! Sat outside to soak up the Shops vibe on a busy fall Thursday night; perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for patio diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/24/2014The food was good, but not excellent. I did not like the fact that you pay for chips and salsa. The food came out very fast which was nice for a business lunch. It was a great patio area to have lunch and I could see this as a great hot spot for the evenings. Mixed review, liked some things but it did not blow me away.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMadilynnVIPDined on 9/21/2014Group of 10 sat on patio. Server was attentive. Food was excellent. Arepas appetizer was delicious. Hibiscus margarita was widely enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- whole family loves!demiDined on 9/15/2014Grreat food and service always. Dinner is loud, but tolerable cause of food. Fabulous decor! Brunch is excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!StarsgalVIPDined on 9/10/2014We went to Mexican Sugar for our monthly girls night out. Had a blast. The only thing I could say is that the noise level was very high. The hibiscus margarita is fantastic!Special Features:
- Great food, service, bad chairsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/10/2014All aspects are great - the only change that needs to happen are their chairs at the table set up - everyone are off balance and teeter back and forth - a clarification of everyone - i tried 5 throughout the seating areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014I had heard great things about this restaurant and we finally got a chance to try it out. When I went to book the reservation on Open Table it showed a 6:00 or 8:00 availability. So we arrived at 7:50 to find the place almost empty; we would have come earlier if we had known. The server was friendly but slow. Far too slow for an almost empty Sunday night. We had to ask repeatedly for several items (ice for the tea that arrived almost warm, lemons, etc.) The food was ok, but mine was lukewarm. The rest of the staff seemed pretty focused on getting the restaurant ready for closing so there was lots of clean up going on around us. I was disappointed because I had heard really nice things about this restaurant.
- I loved and so did the familyAprilDined on 8/31/2014The steak and eggs at brunch were amazing. I love the palm hearts salad side. it is a meal in itself.Special Features:
- Way too noisy...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2014We were seated in the back room with a large surprise party. It ruined our evening... I understand a party means an elevated noise level but we couldn't even hear or understand out waitress. Not even an apology for the inconvenience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvmauiDined on 7/31/2014The food at Mexican Sugar was very good and the overall atmosphere was very nice. However, the meal was not that enjoyable because of the noise level. I have never experienced such a loud experience in my life. We started out on the patio which was lovely, but because it was windy and chilly, my party decided to move indoors. Big mistake! We couldn't even carry on a conversation. Service was ok - took a long time to get our drinks, but the food came out more timely. This would be a really good restaurant if they can figure out how to decrease the noise level.Special Features:
- The following 16 reviews are from the Mexican Sugar reviews archive.
- ExcellentExcellentDined on 7/21/2014Our waitress (Amy) was beyond exceptional. So very knowledgeable about the menu items and offered great suggestions for our dinner choices. The food was delicious - everything from a burger to crab enchiladas. I eat healthful and was impressed that my custom order (grilled shrimp, rice and black beans) was prepared with little or no fat and was still tasty and delicious. Would definitely recommend this place to friends. The frozen margarita was also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - Gluten Free is a plusmacaja33Dined on 7/6/2014The food is excellent. Always prepared with fresh tasting ingredients. Caters to Gluten free allergy, which is a plus for our family. The only complaint is the noise level is extremely high, which makes having a conversation extremely difficult. Based on that, I recommend the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, as usualanniebtxDined on 7/6/2014We love Mexican Sugar! The food and service is always outstanding! Keep up the good job.Special Features:
- A great twist on Hispanic cuisineRecheandiaDined on 6/22/2014Mexican Sugar is a wonderful blend of different Hispanic cuisines served up in a unique, cozy environment. The hamburguesa was one of the best burgers I've ever had and the arepas (brisket appetizer) were talked about for he rest of the night. Do yourself a favor and try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks For A Great Brunch !TLP1VIPDined on 6/15/2014The service was GREAT, the food OUTSTANDING and overall, Mexican Sugar has become one of my favorite places to enjoy !Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014Bar drinks were excellent and hand crafted. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Very Nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/28/2014Beautiful decor; GREAT SERVICE and STAFF; Excellent Food; love the design and everything; plan to go back at dinner.Special Features:
- great place for patio lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2014I took a client to Mexican Sugar for lunch and sat on the patio. It was a beautiful day and the patio was really enjoyable. We had a waiter that was able to recommend a great appetizer (corn cakes with ropa vieja) and managed to keep our tea glasses full without being obtrusive. Great presentation of Tortilla soup. I'll definitely take other clients there for lunch.Special Features:
- absolutely recommended! a gemlizzDined on 5/15/2014I went to Mexican Sugar for my birthday dinner- and let me preface that i do not like Tex Mex food whatsoever! i live nearby and wanted to try, because it is owned by Whiskey Cake owners nd am a huge fan. Let me say...it exceeded expectations. Ambience was amazing, margaritas were top notch as was the service (very knowlegeable & attentive) and the food...the food was clever, inventive and bursting with unusual flavirs from not only Mexico but also South america all the way to Spain. Every one in our party of 8 raved about their food choice and drinks. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/atmosphere, lousy serviceBrianDined on 5/6/2014Great atmosphere/food. Big enough menu for medium/high spenders. Service stunk. Waiter was very nice, but multiple issues. 1) Took forever to bring my beer. 2) When runner did, it was wrong. 3) Took long time for waiter to tell me they didn't have my beer. 4) Took forever to bring me different beer. 5) One diner asked for dressing on side and wasn't. 6) Same diner asked for white sangria, got red. 7) Pregnant wife asked for virgin mojito, was awful. 8) My meal should've come with tortillas but was half finished by time they arrived. 9) Ditto for another diner. 10) After we paid, waiter disappeared while we all wanted a water refill. My wife told a friend all was great but service stunk and she said she was the 5th person to tell her that.Special Features:
- Good, but......OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014Enjoyed our 1st time experience for 6 at Mexican Sugar. It is hard to get a reservation here for a Friday or Sat. Night, so went on a Sunday night. There is great outside dining, overlooking the fountain. We ate inside and the the noise level was high. The great waitress was helpful and we were allowed to rearrange a table and chairs to suit us. Originally they tried to seat us in a booth that would have been way too tight. Everyone had tacos and seemed pleased. My cabrito tacos were good but sloppy (spills & stains). I would ask for a substitute for the shredded Brussel spouts slaw (not much taste). This is a place to see and be seen with heavy emphasis on drinks. The food is the weak link here. Atmosphere is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- u can't hear but u w be 2busy eatnToaysRusDined on 4/17/2014This place is beautiful..and big! Go when you can make a reservation though - which is just through thur. The food is really good and priced fairly! The drinks are imaginative and fun offers like a Sangria kit for 4 people! The service was great - well informed yet not pressured. We went with a large group of girls and they were great. However, it is loud in there! So while they smartly have tables for large parties (ours could have seated 12-14, it was not easy to carry on a lot of conversation outside of the person next to you! But you won't mind too much because the place sort of transforms the evening and the food is creative and with something for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit to this hot spotfoodloverDined on 4/6/2014Our first visit we got there early and luckily got a table on the patio on a Saturday night, otherwise it would have been a 2 hour wait. We had an excellent waiter who was very well-versed on the menu and was very knowledgeable about the tequila menu. Our second visit was on a Sunday night with a party of 8 so we were able to make a reservation. The weather was bad so it ended up not being very crowded. Our server wasn't nearly as good as the first one. It seemed to take forever to get our drinks and he just wasn't super-attentive considering the place wasn't packed. The food was just as great as the first time though! We will definitely go back any chance we get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican SugarGailDined on 3/26/2014The interior of Mexican Sugar is beautiful. It was warm, inviting and energetic. I love the ecletic feel of the furniture and decor. The food was very good. All fresh ingredients with wonderful flavors. The queso was rich and creamy. I could have made a meal of it. The brussel sprout shred is awesome. I had to pick through it since I am alergic to onion but i was well worth it. Our server, Alexa, was very knowledgeable on the menu and all of the components. She was extremely helpful in our decision making. I will definitely be back to try more of the tacos.Special Features:
- First Time DinerJLO1VIPDined on 3/17/2014This was our first opportunity to visit Mexican Sugar, great place, nice staff, cool place overall. Encourage everyone to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest ReviewJerryTXVIPDined on 1/26/2014Was really looking forward to trying out the newest restaurant at the Shops at Legacy and decided to invite a few friends for an after church lunch. I will start with the pros..the decor and layout of the place is great. The restaurant doesn't feel crowded at all and the white queso is probably the best in town. The bad...the menu is very limited to tacos, sandwiches and a handful of main courses, none of which are truly a "must have". It is also lacking items for the "picky" kids (fajitas, enchiladas, burritos). We were a table of 8 and they seated us near a table of 20, another table of 8 plus a table of 4. Not a problem except for the 2 servers that had to take care of 40 people. We may be back for queso and drinks...at the bar.