424 Middlesex Ave
Metuchen, NJ 08840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://themetucheninn.net/index.html
- Phone: 7324946444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm Happy 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tommy Romero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Constantine or Jason 7324946444
A word from Metuchen Inn
The historic Metuchen Inn is now open, newly renovated, elegant new decor, same fantastic food and service with a creative new menu. Come see some old friends and make some new. Enjoy our Happy Hour with your hosts Constantine and VictorContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Metuchen Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (28)romantic (24)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (17)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (0)Show More
- Metuchen Inn IncredibleLouCDined on 10/4/2014Went to the Metuchen Inn for a celebration dinner. We found the food to be very good. My wife had the pork chop entrée and it was a sumptuous rib that was perfectly cooked and seasoned. I had the Sea Scallops special and they were delicious as well. Save room for dessert, we shared the special (vanilla chocolate Brule) and the banana in phyllo. Both were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jderwin26VIPDined on 9/27/2014The Metuchen Inn was delicious!!! I enjoyed the pork osso bucco and my fiance had the pierogi pasta. We both were very pleased, though John was slightly disappointed in the size of his entree. He was hoping it would have been bigger. We also had the meatball appetizer and that was very good. The only complaint I had is that it's slightly too expensive for the quality.Special Features:
- A Favorite!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014A must dining experience when I'm in the area. Food is delicious and owners/staff are absolutely wonderful. Extensive wine list and amazing choice of entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaltDined on 9/21/2014Food was excellent and so was the friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sept 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014the wait time between each course is very long. we ordered lamb rack, duck breast, sea bass and scallop. the lamb was good, duck breast was dry even at medium rare, the worst was the sea bass. the sea bass had 2 bones, it was very buttery, i was very thirsty after eating it.
- DougDined on 9/9/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding anniversary and the management and staff were very accommodating helping us celebrate, including glasses of champagne. We had a very special time and the food and wine was great.Special Features:
- metuchen innfoodieDined on 9/5/2014service and food was excellent but... dinner portions were a bit small for the price. Sea Bass $34 portion was extemely small 4 bites if that. Service was excellent, Fantastic bartender and bar food. nice ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible all the way around!foodsnobVIPDined on 8/19/2014I live in Atlanta and was in town for a business meeting with my NJ team. After the meeting, the 8 of us enjoyed an incredible dinner at Metuchen Inn. The food was delicious, the wine list impressive, and the service exceptional! We were even provided a little private time with Constantine, the Owner. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeloVIPDined on 8/12/2014Its been some time since I last ate at Metuchen Inn. Just had an enjoyable lunch with an old friend. He enjoyed a rather pedestrian Caesar salad with grilled chicken. I ordered the Bbq pork loin on a bagette. The pork was tough, but I enjoyed the broccoli rabe and sun dried tomatoes on it. Service was first class and professional.
- nice but room to growfussyVIPDined on 8/9/2014the appetizers were excellent but the main courses for our party of 4 were mixed. a pasta with shrimp should have a sauce tasting of shrimp and not some overcooked shrimp plopped on top after the fact. Also, we were not told in advance that one main course was no longer available and a wine on the wine list was un-locatable. As for the servers, they were warm, helpful and friendly. The kitchen just needs to be more consistent.Special Features:
- neverhomeVIPDined on 8/8/2014We love this restaurant, started with a shrimp cocktail ..large enough to share and then we both had a halibut special. The quality of the fish is always excellent.Special Features:
- Another enjoyable eveningFoodLoverinEdisonDined on 8/7/2014We've been going to the Metuchen Inn for years on special occasions. This time we went for my wife's birthday. As always, Constantine greeted both of us with big hugs and chatted with us for a bit. The food was excellent, and we were given free champagne to celebrate my wife's birthday. My only complaint is that the service is a little slow, do not plan on going here if you have an appointment later on that eveningSpecial Features:
- If You Haven't Been Here RecentlymetuchenlocalDined on 8/6/2014We hadn't been to the Metuchen Inn for a while. We were pleasantly surprised. It has a very nice bar with ample seating. The staff is very friendly and out-going. The dining area is laid out very nicely. Our dinners were excellent. We both chose a fish entrée but they have wonderful meat dishes, which we will try in the fall. The desert menu has some very interesting deserts. We do plan to come back more regularly (even if it is for drinks and apps).Special Features:
- WineWomanWinrWomanDined on 7/29/2014Food and Service was excellent. Need to change-up and add to Wine List.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food. Service Needs Some WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We had dinner here with another couple. When we arrived for a 7:30 reservation, the hostess looked at us and said that they did not have a table yet available and "needed to figure something out." Not a good sign but not a big deal as we had some drinks at the bar. Our table was ready about 40 mins later. We ordered a bottle of wine and waited awhile. The waitress came and asked if someone had come to speak to us about the wine we ordered. Apparently they were out. Not a big deal by itself. We ordered another bottle and it came promptly. Appetizers and dinner came timely but water glasses were rarely filled. The food itself was very good. Overall the experience was good but the service was amatuerSpecial Features:
- neverhomeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Anniversary celebration dinner here.. Just perfect! Started with a champagne toast, appetizer to share of the meatballs and polenta. Dinners were both specials, halibut with roasted beets and lobster taken out of the shell served swimming in what lobster bisque. Both were superb. Had of the best tables looking into the fireplace .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeLuv2dineDined on 6/28/2014You can't beat the food, the service and the ambiance of this special gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC - GO!!MimiDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant's fantastic! Just Go! The food is amazing, delicious. The look and ambiance of the restaurant is gorgeous! Just a beautiful spot for personal or for professional dinners! We loved this place and will definitely be back for special occasions or for no occasion at all. (We went for a business meeting and everyone in the group loved everything about the restaurant - and it was a big hit with our guests!)Special Features:
- The following 299 reviews are from the Metuchen Inn reviews archive.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014My wife and I love the Metuchen Inn for their superbly prepared foods! We make it a point to spend several of our special occasions throughout the year here.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantEllesseBDined on 6/15/2014I've been here before and liked it. I was there on Father's Day evening and there was an especially loud party which detracted from my enjoyment. The food was good but the service was so so which for the price should have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to the daysuppersingerDined on 6/3/2014We were out celebrating a small private wedding, and the entire experience could not have been more perfect. The staff were courteous and very attentive, all of the food was delicious, and everyone enjoyed themselves immensely.Special Features:
- Great!AmusedAleksDined on 5/24/2014Took my boyfriend there for his Birthday diner. We had a great experience! The food was amazing and the portions were perfect. I like to try a bunch of different things but not big amounts of it, so this was perfect. I had made reservations and had placed a candle request for the ordered dessert. The waiter greeted us and wished my boyfriend a happy birthday as we sat, we got 2 complimentary champagne glasses which i thought was a very nice gesture. The dessert came out with a candle and happy birthday written on the plate. :) This is def a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metuchen Inn a HitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014I was very disappointed that a table was not prepared for us. The server had to break down a table for six for our group of five while we were getting settled at the table. Since I had a reservation this should have been done before we arrived . After that the service and food were perfect.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerATSCCVIPDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed our meal, the octopus was excellent and I enjoyed the scallops. Our server was great and we enjoyed a nice quiet evening.Special Features:
- neverhomeVIPDined on 4/27/2014Love to dine here. Started with shrimp cocktail. Dinners were a soecisl of black bass...excellent.. And short ribs. Service is always top notch!Special Features:
- Fabulous DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I just love the Metuchen Inn. My husband & I have been there twice and really enjoyed it so much both times. I love the decor. The bar area is beautiful and reminds me of restaurants in the Hamptons. We live in Staten Island so it is not so far for us to travel. I love the white table cloths also. The service was great both times. One of the waitresses suggested a drink for me and it was splendid! The best part is the food. I love to cook and am very conscious of quality ingredients. I believe you are using really good ingredients and that goes a long way for taste, health, & presentation which makes for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary foodExcellentVIPDined on 4/25/2014I am rating this five stars despite service issues, as we had a brand new waiter who had NO idea what he was doing, but I will let that pass, given how sensational the food was. Yes, I'm a foodie of sorts, and never expected this experience at the Metuchen Inn, where I had not been for many years. But, every dish looked like a work of art, and tasted equally good. I would have to say that based on this experience, the kitchen is the best in NJ. Truly superior. Recommened items: Mushroom bisque, oysters, rack of lamb, "crispy scallops", sea bass.Special Features:
- Don't order the steak!!!!JackDined on 4/20/2014Service and servers were excellent. Most of the food we ordered was very, very good. However, the steak I ordered was not cooked as I ordered it and was as tough as shoe leather. Tons of grizzle throughout the cut of steak I was served and while I was there, I saw 2 other steaks being "returned" to the kitchen.Special Features:
- A very pleasant surprisejanetluvsfoodDined on 4/20/2014This was a wonderful experience. The restaurant is nice and bright a big change from the prior setting. We were seated immediately.Our waiter appeared immediately to take our drink orders which came promptly. We had the calamari and Lobster potato bisque for appetizers. For entrees we had pan seared bass, pan seared halibut and duck breast. They all smelled, looked and tasted wonderful. For desert we had gelato, almond tart and the BEST cheesecake ever. Even though it was a holiday, everything ran smoothly. No complaints. The prices are extremely reasonable. Our bill with tax came to $197. I really can't wait to make a return trip to this surprisingly enjoyable restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentLmacDined on 4/20/2014Have always loved going to metuchen inn. Mostly have gone for special occasions. Staff and owners are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so goodabgoodDined on 4/5/2014The wine we ordered off the extensive wine list was not the year we ordered when we received it - the waiter said they were out of that year. Over all, the food was just ok - nothing to rave about. Our waiter was frazzled as he explained that he had to spend a lot of time in the basement looking for wine for his tables as the owners were not aroundSpecial Features:
- All of the food was preparedROdinerDined on 3/29/2014All of the food was prepared in unique ways and each dish we tasted was incredibly flavorful. The waitstaff was attentive, helpful and honest. And on a rainy night even the valet staff walked you by umbrella to the front door. Overall great service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining-Excellent ServiceJoeMDined on 3/29/2014I have been to the Metuchen Inn numerous times, both before and after the remodel - for birthdays, romantic dinners and company functions. It is always a pleasure and the service and food is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Our waiter was new to restaurantTomTerrificDined on 3/25/2014Our waiter was new to restaurant but was cheerful, confident and conversant with menu. My date was know to the staff and owners and they greeted us with sincere friendliness. The décor and tableware were elegant, the lighting romantic and the noise level subdued. Food was excellent and beautifully plated. The restaurant met all my e4xpecftions and had even improved from a past visit.Special Features:
- Very good food - but needs polishDemondogDined on 3/22/2014Overall: would go back again. Pork osso bucco was awesome; high taste, soft juicy meat, fork split, but risotto was bland. Filet Mignon good but sauce too salty. "lobster and cheese ravioli" was did not have lobster INSIDE the ravioli, but it just pieces sitting next to the ravioli, would not order that again. Bottle of wine came without wine bucket? Bread came but no butter/olive oil until I asked. The wait staff often RAN thru the restaurant - on hardwood floors makes a lot of noise, they were also YELLING up the stairs to the other floor. Management was visible so they were aware - surprising. Overall not conducive to the atmosphere & price. That all being said - I would go back there for the pork osso bucco !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedRangersfanDined on 3/15/2014The prices would reflect a better food experience but I found that the dishes we had, especially the fish dishes, were fairly simple and could have been prepared as well, if not better, at home. Even a sampling of the rack of lamb yielded a moderate response as to say it was good, not great. The wine list, ambiance, and service are great, but the food is just good. So for the money, I feel there are better choices.Special Features:
- Great renovationJerryDined on 3/12/2014Have not been to the Metuchen Inn since it's fire a few years back. They retained the charm and modernized the interior to a very warm and comfortable setting. New bar area is great although we sat immediately. Terrific and large selection on the menu and all we had was very good. Grilled Octopus ap was outstanding. Definitely head back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Blue Point Oysters,WinrWomanDined on 3/7/2014Fresh Blue Point Oysters, Excellent cocktails and wine. Entrees and dessert were delicious. Excellent service from the entire staff, very accommodating. Pleasant experience. Was even able to switch reservation time at the last minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most enjoyable evening...LindaDined on 3/1/2014Very pleasant staff and delightful tasting food with a fare of the unexpected in flavor and presentation.Special Features:
- Charming and Romanticlildevil9500Dined on 2/15/2014We dined on a busy Saturday night- and we were able to enjoy a leisurely meal without feeling rushed at all. We enjoyed the calamari appetizer,which was fantastic. My wife had the braised short ribs, which we both agreed were excellent. I had a Bolognese, which was delicious. For dessert- I had an apple dish, and my wife enjoyed a crème brulee-- both were a great finish to a fantastic meal. It was a little pricey- but the meal was more then worth it. We will certainly return in the near future. The only snafu was that our waiter was a bit aloof compared to the other waiters that seemed to be working- and we had to ask for our bread. But it was such a small detail, that we absolutely didn't let it ruin our night. I'd recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.