424 Middlesex Ave
Metuchen, NJ 08840Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://themetucheninn.net/index.html
- Phone: 7324946444
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm Happy 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tommy Romero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Constantine or Jason 7324946444
A word from Metuchen Inn
The historic Metuchen Inn is now open, newly renovated, elegant new decor, same fantastic food and service with a creative new menu. Come see some old friends and make some new. Enjoy our Happy Hour with your hosts Constantine and VictorContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Metuchen Inn - Best Restaurants in Metuchen ›
Metuchen Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (27)romantic (24)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (14)good for groups (9)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Incredible all the way around!foodsnobVIPDined on 8/19/2014I live in Atlanta and was in town for a business meeting with my NJ team. After the meeting, the 8 of us enjoyed an incredible dinner at Metuchen Inn. The food was delicious, the wine list impressive, and the service exceptional! We were even provided a little private time with Constantine, the Owner. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngeloDined on 8/12/2014Its been some time since I last ate at Metuchen Inn. Just had an enjoyable lunch with an old friend. He enjoyed a rather pedestrian Caesar salad with grilled chicken. I ordered the Bbq pork loin on a bagette. The pork was tough, but I enjoyed the broccoli rabe and sun dried tomatoes on it. Service was first class and professional.
- "Big bust"OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014We arrived at the day and time specified, the restaurant was dark and closed .No movement in or outside. The outside looks run down. We wasted 1.5hrs travel time to go to that place.Special Features:
- nice but room to growfussyVIPDined on 8/9/2014the appetizers were excellent but the main courses for our party of 4 were mixed. a pasta with shrimp should have a sauce tasting of shrimp and not some overcooked shrimp plopped on top after the fact. Also, we were not told in advance that one main course was no longer available and a wine on the wine list was un-locatable. As for the servers, they were warm, helpful and friendly. The kitchen just needs to be more consistent.Special Features:
- neverhomeVIPDined on 8/8/2014We love this restaurant, started with a shrimp cocktail ..large enough to share and then we both had a halibut special. The quality of the fish is always excellent.Special Features:
- Another enjoyable eveningFoodLoverinEdisonDined on 8/7/2014We've been going to the Metuchen Inn for years on special occasions. This time we went for my wife's birthday. As always, Constantine greeted both of us with big hugs and chatted with us for a bit. The food was excellent, and we were given free champagne to celebrate my wife's birthday. My only complaint is that the service is a little slow, do not plan on going here if you have an appointment later on that eveningSpecial Features:
- If You Haven't Been Here RecentlymetuchenlocalDined on 8/6/2014We hadn't been to the Metuchen Inn for a while. We were pleasantly surprised. It has a very nice bar with ample seating. The staff is very friendly and out-going. The dining area is laid out very nicely. Our dinners were excellent. We both chose a fish entrée but they have wonderful meat dishes, which we will try in the fall. The desert menu has some very interesting deserts. We do plan to come back more regularly (even if it is for drinks and apps).Special Features:
- WineWomanWinrWomanDined on 7/29/2014Food and Service was excellent. Need to change-up and add to Wine List.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food. Service Needs Some WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We had dinner here with another couple. When we arrived for a 7:30 reservation, the hostess looked at us and said that they did not have a table yet available and "needed to figure something out." Not a good sign but not a big deal as we had some drinks at the bar. Our table was ready about 40 mins later. We ordered a bottle of wine and waited awhile. The waitress came and asked if someone had come to speak to us about the wine we ordered. Apparently they were out. Not a big deal by itself. We ordered another bottle and it came promptly. Appetizers and dinner came timely but water glasses were rarely filled. The food itself was very good. Overall the experience was good but the service was amatuerSpecial Features:
- neverhomeVIPDined on 7/17/2014Anniversary celebration dinner here.. Just perfect! Started with a champagne toast, appetizer to share of the meatballs and polenta. Dinners were both specials, halibut with roasted beets and lobster taken out of the shell served swimming in what lobster bisque. Both were superb. Had of the best tables looking into the fireplace .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite placeLuv2dineDined on 6/28/2014You can't beat the food, the service and the ambiance of this special gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC - GO!!MimiDined on 6/26/2014This restaurant's fantastic! Just Go! The food is amazing, delicious. The look and ambiance of the restaurant is gorgeous! Just a beautiful spot for personal or for professional dinners! We loved this place and will definitely be back for special occasions or for no occasion at all. (We went for a business meeting and everyone in the group loved everything about the restaurant - and it was a big hit with our guests!)Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014My wife and I love the Metuchen Inn for their superbly prepared foods! We make it a point to spend several of our special occasions throughout the year here.Special Features:
- Nice neighborhood restaurantEllesseBDined on 6/15/2014I've been here before and liked it. I was there on Father's Day evening and there was an especially loud party which detracted from my enjoyment. The food was good but the service was so so which for the price should have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect end to the daysuppersingerDined on 6/3/2014We were out celebrating a small private wedding, and the entire experience could not have been more perfect. The staff were courteous and very attentive, all of the food was delicious, and everyone enjoyed themselves immensely.Special Features:
- Great!AmusedAleksDined on 5/24/2014Took my boyfriend there for his Birthday diner. We had a great experience! The food was amazing and the portions were perfect. I like to try a bunch of different things but not big amounts of it, so this was perfect. I had made reservations and had placed a candle request for the ordered dessert. The waiter greeted us and wished my boyfriend a happy birthday as we sat, we got 2 complimentary champagne glasses which i thought was a very nice gesture. The dessert came out with a candle and happy birthday written on the plate. :) This is def a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metuchen Inn a HitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014I was very disappointed that a table was not prepared for us. The server had to break down a table for six for our group of five while we were getting settled at the table. Since I had a reservation this should have been done before we arrived . After that the service and food were perfect.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerATSCCVIPDined on 5/16/2014We enjoyed our meal, the octopus was excellent and I enjoyed the scallops. Our server was great and we enjoyed a nice quiet evening.Special Features:
- Unhappy Happy Hour at barBarbaraDined on 5/7/2014My two sisters and I arrived at 5:30 to partake of the Happy Hour at the bar before our 6:00 dinner reservation. The service at the bar was terrible. We ordered four glasses of house wine and one well drink. These drinks are advertised on their website at $5.00 each. We also ordered the kettle chips for $3.00. The bartender suggested putting our bar tab on the dinner check. On the dinner check the five bar drinks were charged at $8.00 each and the chips at $4.50. I brought this to the waiter's attention and he took $8.00 off the check. They actually should have taken $16.00 off the check, but I didn't want to embarrass guests. The owners need to familiarize themselves with their advertised Happy Hour Menu.Special Features:
- The following 293 reviews are from the Metuchen Inn reviews archive.
- neverhomeVIPDined on 4/27/2014Love to dine here. Started with shrimp cocktail. Dinners were a soecisl of black bass...excellent.. And short ribs. Service is always top notch!Special Features:
- Fabulous DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014I just love the Metuchen Inn. My husband & I have been there twice and really enjoyed it so much both times. I love the decor. The bar area is beautiful and reminds me of restaurants in the Hamptons. We live in Staten Island so it is not so far for us to travel. I love the white table cloths also. The service was great both times. One of the waitresses suggested a drink for me and it was splendid! The best part is the food. I love to cook and am very conscious of quality ingredients. I believe you are using really good ingredients and that goes a long way for taste, health, & presentation which makes for a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary foodExcellentVIPDined on 4/25/2014I am rating this five stars despite service issues, as we had a brand new waiter who had NO idea what he was doing, but I will let that pass, given how sensational the food was. Yes, I'm a foodie of sorts, and never expected this experience at the Metuchen Inn, where I had not been for many years. But, every dish looked like a work of art, and tasted equally good. I would have to say that based on this experience, the kitchen is the best in NJ. Truly superior. Recommened items: Mushroom bisque, oysters, rack of lamb, "crispy scallops", sea bass.Special Features:
- Don't order the steak!!!!JackDined on 4/20/2014Service and servers were excellent. Most of the food we ordered was very, very good. However, the steak I ordered was not cooked as I ordered it and was as tough as shoe leather. Tons of grizzle throughout the cut of steak I was served and while I was there, I saw 2 other steaks being "returned" to the kitchen.Special Features:
- A very pleasant surprisejanetluvsfoodDined on 4/20/2014This was a wonderful experience. The restaurant is nice and bright a big change from the prior setting. We were seated immediately.Our waiter appeared immediately to take our drink orders which came promptly. We had the calamari and Lobster potato bisque for appetizers. For entrees we had pan seared bass, pan seared halibut and duck breast. They all smelled, looked and tasted wonderful. For desert we had gelato, almond tart and the BEST cheesecake ever. Even though it was a holiday, everything ran smoothly. No complaints. The prices are extremely reasonable. Our bill with tax came to $197. I really can't wait to make a return trip to this surprisingly enjoyable restaurant.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Have always loved going to metuchen inn. Mostly have gone for special occasions. Staff and owners are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so goodabgoodDined on 4/5/2014The wine we ordered off the extensive wine list was not the year we ordered when we received it - the waiter said they were out of that year. Over all, the food was just ok - nothing to rave about. Our waiter was frazzled as he explained that he had to spend a lot of time in the basement looking for wine for his tables as the owners were not aroundSpecial Features:
- All of the food was preparedROdinerDined on 3/29/2014All of the food was prepared in unique ways and each dish we tasted was incredibly flavorful. The waitstaff was attentive, helpful and honest. And on a rainy night even the valet staff walked you by umbrella to the front door. Overall great service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining-Excellent ServiceJoeMDined on 3/29/2014I have been to the Metuchen Inn numerous times, both before and after the remodel - for birthdays, romantic dinners and company functions. It is always a pleasure and the service and food is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Our waiter was new to restaurantTomTerrificDined on 3/25/2014Our waiter was new to restaurant but was cheerful, confident and conversant with menu. My date was know to the staff and owners and they greeted us with sincere friendliness. The décor and tableware were elegant, the lighting romantic and the noise level subdued. Food was excellent and beautifully plated. The restaurant met all my e4xpecftions and had even improved from a past visit.Special Features:
- Very good food - but needs polishDemondogDined on 3/22/2014Overall: would go back again. Pork osso bucco was awesome; high taste, soft juicy meat, fork split, but risotto was bland. Filet Mignon good but sauce too salty. "lobster and cheese ravioli" was did not have lobster INSIDE the ravioli, but it just pieces sitting next to the ravioli, would not order that again. Bottle of wine came without wine bucket? Bread came but no butter/olive oil until I asked. The wait staff often RAN thru the restaurant - on hardwood floors makes a lot of noise, they were also YELLING up the stairs to the other floor. Management was visible so they were aware - surprising. Overall not conducive to the atmosphere & price. That all being said - I would go back there for the pork osso bucco !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly DisappointedRangersfanDined on 3/15/2014The prices would reflect a better food experience but I found that the dishes we had, especially the fish dishes, were fairly simple and could have been prepared as well, if not better, at home. Even a sampling of the rack of lamb yielded a moderate response as to say it was good, not great. The wine list, ambiance, and service are great, but the food is just good. So for the money, I feel there are better choices.Special Features:
- Great renovationJerryDined on 3/12/2014Have not been to the Metuchen Inn since it's fire a few years back. They retained the charm and modernized the interior to a very warm and comfortable setting. New bar area is great although we sat immediately. Terrific and large selection on the menu and all we had was very good. Grilled Octopus ap was outstanding. Definitely head back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Blue Point Oysters,WinrWomanDined on 3/7/2014Fresh Blue Point Oysters, Excellent cocktails and wine. Entrees and dessert were delicious. Excellent service from the entire staff, very accommodating. Pleasant experience. Was even able to switch reservation time at the last minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A most enjoyable evening...LindaDined on 3/1/2014Very pleasant staff and delightful tasting food with a fare of the unexpected in flavor and presentation.Special Features:
- Charming and Romanticlildevil9500Dined on 2/15/2014We dined on a busy Saturday night- and we were able to enjoy a leisurely meal without feeling rushed at all. We enjoyed the calamari appetizer,which was fantastic. My wife had the braised short ribs, which we both agreed were excellent. I had a Bolognese, which was delicious. For dessert- I had an apple dish, and my wife enjoyed a crème brulee-- both were a great finish to a fantastic meal. It was a little pricey- but the meal was more then worth it. We will certainly return in the near future. The only snafu was that our waiter was a bit aloof compared to the other waiters that seemed to be working- and we had to ask for our bread. But it was such a small detail, that we absolutely didn't let it ruin our night. I'd recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere, but..OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Great Atmosphere and service, but the food is not worthy of the price. Forced valet parking in a tiny parking lot just seems foolish. I have no intention of returning.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Came here for valentines day, the place was incredible as usual. Amazing food, service was remarkable and the prices are fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedhlh35Dined on 2/14/2014Was looking forward to a charming valentine's dinner in a historic inn, and got none of the above. They seemed to pack the restaurant in with as many tables as they possibly could (I don't blame them for wanting to do as much business as possible), however the service was the worst I have experienced in a long time. Our waiter never even introduced himself. We had to ask for water, and they never refilled throughout the entire meal. The food was sub par. Salad was wilted, meatballs cold, and my husband's bass was fishy and the scallops just ok. I would give the restaurant another chance on a quieter evening, but the service was SO bad, there is no way I would go back and they tacked on 20% gratuity. Renovation=no charm either. Sad.
- What a findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014What a surprise to have this place out in NJ. Usually don't have high expectations outside of the city. Went here for valentines, place was packed. Prix fee menu only. Fresh food, good portions, cooked to perfection. Our waiter was slow, no smiles, seemed not too thrilled to be there, unresponsive and disappeared through the meal. Kind of set a mellow tone for us. A table one-over though, had a younger, charismatic, super friendly waiter, and it seemed all the tables he was in charge of were more relaxed and having a better time. We even complemented him on the way out! Wish we had him and our experience wouldn't have been so drab. Wasn't pleased they tacked on an auto-20% gratuity for two of us. Would normally tip decently anyways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other than location, NOTHINGLeoTheKingDined on 2/14/2014Went there on V-Day without knowing they have pre-fixed menu only... What a rip off, especially given the quality of the food... Won't go there again