Mettle - Austin
507 Calles Street
Austin, TX 78701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mettle - Austin
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mettleaustin.com/
- Phone: (512) 236-1022x
- Hours of Operation:
Tues-Thurs 11am-10pm; Fri-Sat 11am-11pm; Sunday 10am-4pm Brunch, 4pm-9pm Dinner.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary Asian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Francisco
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mettle - Austin
We at Mettle are passionate about your dining experience and strive to create a delightful one for you. Chef Andrew Francisco and our kitchen team have designed the bistro menu to incorporate the freshest ingredients—many of them local with well-honed technique, and a sense of his own playful inspiration. We enjoy our food immensely and hope that you do, too.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mettle - Austin - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Mettle - Austin reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (7)great for brunch (7)special occasion (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)romantic (4)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Superb food; bad waitressChaseVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food and atmosphere are simply wonderful. I highly recommend it. The issue I had was a lousy attitude-driven waitress. This is specific to her, not the staff in general--the rest of them are and have been great in the past. Just had a bad apple. But the food was awesome! It's a little off the beaten path but very convenient to downtown nonetheless--it has that added bonus of adequate parking. Anyway, by all means go here. You won't be disappointed by the food. Not one bit.Special Features:
- Hidden Austin GemBethDined on 7/18/2014I feel smarter for having eaten there. Lettung my mouth be stimulated by flavors that I have never tasted .everything is perfect and the cocktails are real mixed cocktails . Inwanted to just hang out after a really great meal. The tenderloin. Is the best in the city !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressed!StephanieADined on 7/5/2014We ate at Mettle Saturday July 5th. They were not very busy but I think that had to do with the holiday weekend. The smoked butter they bring with the rolls is DELICIOUS. We had three people and shared the tomato salad special, brussel sprouts, pork belly, smoked salmon and beef tongue tacos. Everything was good and fairly priced but the beed tongue tacos were AMAZING. Don't be scared, these are a must try. I'm a huge pork belly fan but the tacos took the prize for the meal. Service was very attentive and friendly as well. I would definitely recommend Mettle. It's farther on East side than most places but there is plenty of parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedDine4funVIPDined on 7/5/2014Good looking place, too bad food was so far off. Naan was way over salted, Brussels sprouts over salted, scallop dish under flavored and the highly touted crab gratin was very greasy and fairly lacking of crab and gratin. Drinks good. Service OK.
- Great foodblamb050Dined on 6/22/2014We loved the tapas-style food and service at Mettle. Hopefully word gets out about Mettle soon because the place was DEAD when we were there on a Sunday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedJD83VIPDined on 6/21/2014After all the hype I expected a lot more. Too many small plates and not enough big plates. The small plates were SUPER small - a shrimp dish with 3 shrimp cut in half? I don't need to return hereSpecial Features:
- The following 135 reviews are from the Mettle - Austin reviews archive.
- Very so-sosherrybrryDined on 5/21/2014Was there for lunch and ate outdoors. Had the salmon sandwich. Very ordinary and kept slipping out of the bun. Had heard the fries were great -- they were ok, but not "great". My friend had the Caesar salad, with salmon added. She said it was good.
- Wonderful food, service lackingChickenDined on 5/16/2014Mettle is one of my favorites, but the service seems to fall off more and more as I go. It's never particularly busy, but it's like Mother's Day at Olive Garden. Waiters never return for follow ups on drinks or food. Someone's meal is always late. I can't get anyone's attention except for the wonderful bussers, who end up doing the manager's job of tracking down food and servers. Please get it together, Mettle! I don't want you to go away!Special Features:
- award mettleomnivore2Dined on 5/10/2014great design, friendly and efficient staff, wonderful and creative food and presentation, lighting design outstanding. a new favoriteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014The food and service were amazing, but the highlight of the experience was Frank. His knowledge of your menu was unsurpassed. Thank you for the great brunch and pass along our good tidings to Frank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SurprisebbqloversDined on 4/15/2014After so many newly opened restaurant disappointments Mettle proved to be a stand out for really good food. The menu is small and everything we ordered was perfectly executed.Special Features:
- Creative combinationsLolabeanDined on 4/4/2014Went here on the recommendation of an Austinite and was really happy with the outcome. I had a fabulous beet salad with local goat cheese and small slices of white chocolate, followed by halibut cheeks with light buttery sauce. My husband had the pork shank that was really flavorful. Our server was friendly and attentive, and said he was really interested in "the truth" when he asked how I felt about the food. I l had eft some fish on the plate, and he was concerned. But I assured him that it was due to the generous amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NY Times Tip Spot OnBillNewtonMADined on 4/1/2014The Times wrote a piece on the up and coming East Austin neighborhood and featured Mettle. We were visiting from MA and decided to give it a try and were very pleased. It's an industrial building they've converted 1/3 of to a restaurant, keeping many of the features and using metal rods to tie the theme back to the building roots. The ambiance is very pleasant and chic and the staff are polite and well trained. The food is memorable, presented artfully, and with style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningFoodie46Dined on 3/29/2014The restaurant is a fun place with great outdoor seating but we sat inside. The menu was kind of all over the place but everything we ordered was very good. The escargot was fantastic and the pork shank. Our waiter was very good but the staff is green and hesitant. They don't seem to have their rhythm down yet. We will be back for a happy hour in the future and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh-mettleWhylieDined on 3/28/2014I was not impressed. Side dishes were great. Ordered three of the same cocktails and they all had a very different taste. $15 burger was all bun, no beef. Maybe visit for a little snack or small dinner before going out? For the price there are so many better options in Austin and the service was spotty at best. Probably never going back.Special Features:
- Mettle - twice in a weekrondogDined on 3/28/2014Mettle is a pleasant surprise on the far east end of 6th street. Parking was no problem and we were seated immediately, though we were there early. Our waiter knew the menu well and made great recommendations. We had 2 appetizers plus the frites (yum!), a variety of entrees (Grilled veggies were AMAZING!). We enjoyed the novel cocktails and an attentive but leisurely service. We enjoyed long pauses between courses and were eminded of the relaxing way Europeans dine - we need MORE of that in Austin. All of the wait staff was friendly and responsive. On our 2nd visit the service was attentive but also courses were served too quickly for my liking. All in all a great evening and I would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our ExperienceRobinDined on 3/26/2014It was a wonderful place for our date night. I made reservations only to find out I didn't even need them on a Wed night. The waiter (Frank I think) was awesome. He explained the menu with expertise and finesse! We will definitely come back! I will say the only change I would personally make (food wise) is more salt or spice on the Cauliflower appetizer. Thanks for the wonderful night.Special Features:
- Business Dinner with Austin VibeDweemsDined on 3/18/2014Needed to take a traveling coworker to dinner "close to the airport"....ugh. Remembered that Mettle wasn't that far, so worked perfectly. Sat outside, great waiter...always amazing beef tongue tacos, fried chicken and fish of the day. All for very reasonable price. Will use this as my "go to" for future travelers!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceJTremblayVIPDined on 3/9/2014I have never had a bad experience at Mettle... only good ones. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and passionate about the food and everything came out perfectly. I would keep recommending Mettle over and over again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a bad experienceKjsatxDined on 3/9/2014The server was distracted the entire time although not busy and would go through odd switches of being over accommodating to put out by simple requests then completely disappear for long periods of time. When the bill came our server took our cards and disappeared for 20 min. We had an 11:45 reservation, at this point it was 1:30. I asked for the manager who came over, handed us our cards back and walked away without much explanation. My bank says the card was charged although we never signed any receipts. Not sure what was going on but a very off, odd experience overall. None of us will return.
- Poor serviceTonyDined on 2/28/2014Food was solid, but our waiter was off. Maybe he had a weird section, but he wasn't on any of the nearby tables - he would just appear out of nowhere every 30-45 minutes. As such, he was really late on drink orders. He just acted very eccentric, seeming very surprised that we wanted to order apps first and entrees later. I'd have to guess that someone entered the seat numbers wrong, because the staff would always place the plates on the wrong seat, without fail. We had another server helping us for a portion of the meal and he was outstanding. Our main server was probably just having an off night. I would have guessed that he was new, but he knew all of the dishes very well. He was just an odd character. Either way, the service was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and attentive servicOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/25/2014Excellent food and attentive service. I will definitely be back soon. Highly recommend the beef tongue and the fried chicken (lunch).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East side gemMDinerVIPDined on 2/25/2014What a treat! A must in Austin. Please try the beet salad and beef tongue tacos. Exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiance. SoNWATXDined on 2/22/2014Great food and ambiance. So / so service. Waiter was a bit rude and forgot to bring our rabbit dish, but charged us for it anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was good food and the serviceTriciafromTexasDined on 2/21/2014It was good food and the service was good it just felt so devoid of East Side ambience. It felt more like dining in Dallas than Austin. The dessert was AMAZING and the rest of it was good.
- MJRMiloDined on 2/21/2014Service was absolutely terrible - we waited from the outset -- no apology - no consideration Very disappointed after seeing such good reviews
- Fun Happy Hour!DebbieDined on 2/21/2014There were 12-14 of us and we had a great time. Happy hour food portions are really small, but tasty. Drink specials were good. Katie was our waitress and she did a wonderful job!!Special Features:
- Fried chicken entree was cold.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Fried chicken entree was cold. Asked to have it reheated and was still cold! Appetizers were BLAND. Love the staff.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Service was great, food excellent, cocktails delicious, and restaurant is well designed and the art adds to the experienceSpecial Features:
- Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Came in for valentine's day and it was a wonderful experience. A memory maker for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patio Weather!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014We had a fabulous Friday lunch out on the patio. Started with tthe mushroom soup which was to die for then on to salad, fish and chip and vegetable curry all which were wonderful. Desserts were a standout, i would go back just for them. We got there early (11:30 they open at 11) so it was pretty quite but had an extended lunch on the patio with a 1.5 year old. The waitstaff was wonderful they made a off the menu fruit bowl for the tot and didn't seem to care that we had a very leisurely lunch (2hrs). We tipped appropriately of course. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DifferentJudyDined on 2/13/2014Wanted to try something new and this fit the bill. Dinner was delicious Menu had different options tartar, beet salad, good variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.... Turn the table!rustyleslieDined on 2/7/2014Every fish we ordered was amazing, you can't go wrong. Expect small portions but high quality and excellent flavors. The tables for two are a bit awkward so we turned our to share easier and be closer to talk, the two tables next to us caught on and did the same. The staff turned them all back when we left but maybe they took the hint. The plate/dish sizes were huge compared to the food portions so our table was quickly over crowded. The service was excellent though the staff seemed to still be learning the menu. Excellent overall from a foodie perspective and in line with price compared to everyone else.Special Features:
- A bit disappointingsusanneDined on 2/7/2014ambiance was good. The food was average and the wine list very disappointing. Only 1 Sauvignon Blanc and it was $16 a glass. It was not bad but not great. Certainly not at that price. Not sure if I will give it another try.
- Make the effortAustiniteDined on 2/5/2014While it's a bit farther out on E. 6th, Mettle is certainly worth the effort. Friendly and helpful staff and stunning use of a warehouse space. Food is a little French Bistro meets innovative Texan. We enjoyed lingering over the small, but very appealing menu and were enjoying ourselves so much we stayed for dessert and espresso (which we rarely do). Some of the most innovative and delicious cocktails in Austin to start our meal.Special Features:
- Anchor of East Sixth StRonKDined on 2/2/2014The point where East 6th Street begins is an unlikely spot for a trendy restaurant situated as it is in the remains of what was the light industrial remnants of the East Side. But it is a pleasant surprise rewarded with an inventive, tasty, menu. In good weather there is a large, nicely appointed seating area outdoors that would be ideal for drinks after work or cocktails for two. The food is really a delight to the palate and everyone in our party was very satisfied. One disappointment was the noise level. Your scribe was not present when the restaurant was full but with a moderate crowd it is evident that in a packed house noise could be a problem. $$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gold MettleFoodieME2Dined on 1/31/2014Excellent spot. Cool East side vibe. Industrial feel in warehouse. Food was excellent. At the top end of the budget in price though. Great for date night with wife or girlfriend OR wife and girlfriend :)Special Features:
- Not as hyped as we hopedReallyEasy2PleaseDined on 1/31/2014My wife and I went there to celebrate her new job and we left with a feeling of "meh" We felt that the drinks were watered down and not as good as the waiter would lead us to believe. I must give credit for the beef-tongue tacos and fried cheese plate as appetizers. They were delicious and easily overshadowed the entrees we ordered (over-salted pork chop and over-fried fried chicken!) Yet another up-and-coming restaurant where the appetizers ruled the visit. If good appetizers and watered down cocktails are your bag, then you'll love Mettle! Until then, go elsewhere!Special Features:
- Pricey and okOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014Food was good, not great. Outdoor dining was really nice. Server was clueless about the food.Special Features:
- Great for lunch!EatEatEatDined on 1/31/2014I haven't been to Mettle in the evening, so can't comment on the night scene. Loved the lunch menu - original and delicious! Couldn't decide what to order because all sounded great. Great outdoor space if the weather is nice. Lots of space inside for larger groups. Attentive service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.