8 E Main Street
Freehold, NJ 07728Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://metrocafenj.com/
- Phone: (732) 780-9400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:30pm, Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Happy Hour: Monday - Saturday: 3pm - 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Ulisses Nova
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: From the simplest BBQ to the most elaborate affair, let Metropolitan Cafe bring their great cuisine and professional staff to your home, office or any location.
- Entertainment: Progressive grooves mixed live Thursday through Saturday after 10:00 pm in our lounge.
- Cross Street: South St (Route 79)
- Public Transit: Bus service to Downtown Freehold, Freehold Borough
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the Market Yard lot in the rear of the restaurant.
We also offer complimentary valet on weekends in the Market Yard lot.
Additional evening parking available in the Hall of Records lot across the street on Main Street.
A word from Metropolitan Cafe
The Metropolitan Café offers Preferred Seating. While we make every attempt to accommodate seating requests, there may be an additional wait upon arrival in order to accommodate them.Continued
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns regarding your reservation.
Thank you for choosing Metropolitan Café, we look forward to serving you.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns regarding your reservation.
Thank you for choosing Metropolitan Café, we look forward to serving you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Metropolitan Cafe - Best Restaurants in Freehold ›
Metropolitan Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)special occasion (22)vibrant bar scene (21)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (14)romantic (13)great for lunch (13)late-night find (10)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- What a wonderful dining experience.DoctorJDined on 11/22/2014This was our second time at this restaurant, and the food and service was still great. Our server Rick was very friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable, and made our time there very enjoyable. The appetizers of Filet Mignon Spring Rolls and Lobster Ravioli were delicious, as were the Chicken & Broccoli Udon Noodles and Lobster & Asparagus Risotto main dishes. We topped it off with a very tasty French Toast Bread Pudding dessert. Go check it out for yourself. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceBeukeboomDined on 11/14/2014Went hear for my birthday. Bar was crowded and bustling. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. Seated in a booth that could have been a bit larger but the service, drinks and food were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed on this visitWJC722VIPDined on 10/31/2014I have dined here a number of times and have always been pleased. This time I ordered a dish called scallop and crab pinwheels. I asked about the crab (being a crab connoisseur) and was told it is real crab. OK, I ordered it - but the crab was actually a stuffing with white bread and celery and I could not find any crab in the stuffing. There were 3 scallops and I picked out the scallop but left the stuffing and just about everything else on the plate. They were nice enough to take it off the bill….I think if the dish is scallop and crab stuffing pinwheels it should have been stated that way. I would never have ordered something with crab stuffing. My friend liked her chicken dish.I would recommend this to a friend.
- JenseatsJenseatsVIPDined on 10/22/2014We love the atmosphere in MC. Our server was fantastic and split several items for us (we had numerous apps). The seasonal soup was excellent. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Perfect for a Business LunchAEEGDined on 10/16/2014I have taken quite a number of clients to this upscale restaurant and have met with consistent success. The food is always amazing.... everyone is happy with the menu selection that they made from the wide array of menu options. The outside seating situated right on Main Street downtown is delightful. The service/wait staff are always attentive and pleasant. Can't go wrong with this choice.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014We Love the Metropolitan cafe. The food, drink and service is always top notch. One of our favorite places to dine at.Special Features:
- DecentthekidhartfordVIPDined on 10/11/2014Downtown Freehold is very nice and this restaurant has a nice interior but it is far from top shelf. Just a nice, medium rated restaurant. It appears to me that this is one of the places to be in Freehold. A younger, trendy crowd. We've been there twice.
- Consistently Above Average2Dine4Dined on 10/1/2014I like the NYC feel to the place. Service and Ambiance were very good. Food was above average and every time I go there the food is above average. I've never eaten anything that makes me say, "I gotta come back for this dish", but then again I've never disliked anything either. Calamari is an excellent appetizer, give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good drinks and foodLocaldinerVIPDined on 9/18/2014Been here before. The appetizers and specials are always worth trying. They have the standards; steak,chicken breast etc. All served with veggies or some type of potato. Smashed, roasted, fries. The cocktails are a nice selection of Bourbons, Vodkas, Rums and Tequilas. The wine list features good picks.The disappointing aspect is what happens after the entrees arrive. There is the perfunctory How is everything tasting but then nothing. There you are with no food, anxious for coffee, perhaps an after dinner drink and dessert, the check and you have to track down someone. If they want to leave you alone bring the check during the How is it tasting visit and say No rush and if you want anything later we can just add to the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningSMV57Dined on 9/12/2014Couldn't sit outside - wait was too long and our Open Table Reservation does not permit you to 'request' outdoor seating. Lovely bar area for drinks and had a wonderful relaxing dinner with friendsSpecial Features:
- OutstandingmelanieroccoDined on 9/8/2014I had the most enjoyable experience at metro. I've been to many places around the freehold area and this is by far my favorite. The hostess was extremely friendly and helped me with the menu until I was seated. The drinks were wonderful ! We had a china doll that was to die for as well as the painkiller from their specialty cocktail list ! Their new lunch menu is awesome and their dinner menu looks amazing ! I can't wait to dine here again ! It gets better everytime! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful!msfrog2VIPDined on 8/29/2014From the waiter to the appetizer to the main course it was a terrible experience. The main course was basically inedible.
- Nice location and good foodGraagetenDined on 8/27/2014The food quality was fine but found everything just a little overly sweet. Unfortunately despite making a reservation one day ahead of time we were seated at a booth in front of the kitchen. The noise level was very unpleasant and not conducive to a nice dining experience. I will give the restaurant another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars isn't enough.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014I'd definitely recommend the metropolitan cafe to anyone looking for a great experience in a great atmosphere. The food was excellent, and came out in a timely manner. Our waitress was very helpful, knowledgeable, and an absolute pleasure to talk to. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. We'll definitely be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What we neededLocaldinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014Made last minute reservations. Great new drink called the Revolver. We needed it as we had come from a stressful situation. Food was served quickly and there was no problem adding a side of greens that neither dish came with. Water was refilled and everything arrived when it was needed. We were in a back table with was quiet so we could talk.Special Features:
- Nice for a changeOutandAboutDined on 8/22/2014Food was good but the house salad was a bit strange and not too tasty - field greens with fresh mozarella, craisins and chickpeas? with a vinegarette dressing. Food was pricey but the portions were ample and well presented.Special Features:
- Quiet mid afternoon meetingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014Friday mid-afternoon in August, and we had the place to ourselves. Unfortunately, on a couple occasions, it seemed the wait staff forgot we were outside. Grilled chicken nachos were pretty good - overload w chicken, though. For a business meeting, it worked well, but we found it strange that it was sooo quiet on a Friday afternoon.Special Features:
- DisappointedNJJackieDined on 7/31/2014Way too overpriced! Dining out during the Thursday night concert made it an unexpected treat!Special Features:
- The following 218 reviews are from the Metropolitan Cafe reviews archive.
- Not What I ExpectedSagesseDined on 7/13/2014I had been to Metropolitan Café for the happy hour and enjoyed the smart NYC ambience and cocktails. I tried out the restaurant for a special birthday dinner. We were shown to a booth because the upstairs tables are only open Friday and Saturday nights. A round of specialty cocktails made me think I chose the right place. All the menu choices were decidedly Asian-inspired and sushi was featured prominently. The waiter kept taking the wine menu from us before we decided, which was a bit funny. The appetizers of raw tuna and lettuce wraps were generous. But then, one meal was brought out cold and the other entrée was mushy. The prices were high in comparison to other nearby restaurants. This place is good for a bar scene but dine elsewhere.Special Features:
- DisappointedPleasedinPrincetonDined on 7/8/2014Not sure why this restaurant feels the need to charge New York prices for average food. I would not go back.
- AwesomeLovegoodfoodDined on 7/7/2014Great atmosphere, staff very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. We had shrimp, scallop and lobster ravioli and it was amazing. The sorbet sampler for dessert must have been made in-house, one was mint and it was like a breath of fresh air. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- LoveagoodmealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Service good but a bit pricey. Well prepared food. Nice wine/beer/martini list. Just wish more items were priced more agressivley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love coming here...runningmamaVIPDined on 7/1/2014Metropolitan Cafe is a great spot to go with friends, family, even children. We dined here for a Girls Night Out and enjoyed the food and drinks. We love the outdoor seating too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real findPat1Dined on 7/1/2014We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food, the diversity of the menu, the expertise of staff and the reasonable prices. Would highly recommend it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food...a little priceyBillB53Dined on 6/14/2014Great location in the center of Frehold. Easy parking in the back. Very nice ambiance. Friendly staff. Upstairs was a bit noisey, so, we ended up downstairs. Great food. Loved the sushi. Cost was more than I usually spend for a nice night out. Worth it? Perhaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropolitan cafeFoodie1Dined on 6/6/2014Very good food & attentive service (Ryan was our server). Although we wound up in the upstairs section (ambiance not as nice as downstairs), the vibe was still heard but able to talk comfortably (a big plus) & food & service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- familyoutingVIPDined on 5/31/2014Waiter was terrible and that ruined the whole eveningSpecial Features:
- ToughMurphDined on 5/31/2014The ny strip that I ordered was tough but everything else was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night DinnergeoflanDined on 5/30/2014Met friends from Portland, Oregon for dinner. Service excellent, staff well trained and food high quality for what you pay. No negatives to report, everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- Have had better nights thereJeffDined on 5/23/2014The Met was a staple for my wife and I for a while. We haven't been getting there as much because there has been a lot of competition lately - new finds, new places opening up. On this visit, we got squeezed into a small 2 person table right alongside the sushi bar with another couple at a table right next to ours, to the point that we were practically eating together. I appreciate they want to get a lot of people in, but maybe sacrificing a table for two to make more room for others might have made some sense. Food was not up to the standard I am used to there, although to be fair, the lack of ambience didn't help our opinion that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has improved!rainyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Been there several times over the years but our last 2 or 3 visits there have been great- some new items have been added to the menu and are very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014Once we got served which took over 1 hour . The food was good but waiting that long even for a glass of wine kinda made the expiernce not so goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014good food, excellent service but very noisy. Maybe they need to put tablecloths on the tables.
- TableTalksVIPDined on 5/11/2014The Sunday brunch was overpriced and the food presentation had little to be desired. It is safe to say I will not be returning any time soon!
- Great brunch.MikeNDined on 5/11/2014We come here year after year for the Mother's Day brunch. This year was different though. We were expecting as it down meal and not a buffet. The buffet was good, they just kept running out of items quickly and it took some time to replace them. I just wish they put some information somewhere (ie. their website) about the style of good they were offering. We would still go back but I will call next time to verify all the details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/9/20141st time here, was pleasantly surprised. Food was really good. Décor was very modern and hip. Service was impeccable and the managers help with the wine list was favorable. Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014We three friends celebrated a 70th Birthday. We wanted the luncheon to be something special for our girlfriend and it was. The atmosphere, menu, food and waitress was outstanding. This was our first time at the Metropolitan and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchDintheDDined on 5/6/2014Restaurant staff amiable and at 1:30 the place was not very busy. In my Open Table reservation, I advised this would be a business lunch... Hostess sat us next to kitchen (although there were many deuces for our party of two away from the chaos generated by serving activity). Once we were relocated ( hostess claimed Open Table reservation sent to the restaurant did not advise of my business lunch intent) the server was attentive and food was nicely presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2014My wife took me there for my birthday dinner and as usual "Metro" Did not disappoint. Food was very good as we had the warm fresh Mozzarella for appetizer. I had the Lobster Ribbons and my wife went with the Pang Yang Chicken. Both were flavorful and well cooked. Victoria, Vicki, was our server and she provided excellent service as well as good conversation. I will be asking for her again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatLindaVIPDined on 4/11/2014I love eating at this restaurant especially outside. In the summer there is always live music somewhere. Easy parking, great food, helpful staff. My fav in Freehold. Also, a GREAT Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.