584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: 6172472931x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (51)fit for foodies (35)romantic (31)special occasion (18)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Too saltyWhiteSpiceDined on 10/11/2014The atmosphere was wonderful and the cheese plate was fantastic, but nearly everything else that called for salt had WAY too much of it. It was a real shame, because the duck confit risotto could have been so delicious, but that would have required my tasting something other than salt. Once again, let me stress that it was a fantastic atmosphere, but the food left quite a bit to be desired.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spotsjameDined on 10/10/2014Everything I've ever eaten here is delicious. The service is always fantastic and it's quite affordable given the atmosphere and food.Special Features:
- IncredibleJeffDined on 10/1/2014Great evening! A unique menu with excellent food and fantastic service! A GREAT spot for a romantic dinner. If you live in Boston and have never ventured to Metropolis, put it on your bucket list!Special Features:
- upbeat boston bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food with a fun, urban, bistro vibe...unhurried excellent service...delicious.Special Features:
- RecommendableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Already recommended it to several. Exactly $100 for two with two glasses of wine each! The veal scallopini was to die for. Get the recipe for the cauliflower gratin and send it to me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingCat1Dined on 9/17/2014I'd like to give any restaurant benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps this was an unusual night. Our waiter was uninformed about the menu, our food took close to an hour to get to us (the room was not half full). The chef nicely sent salads out because of our wait, though our server never apologized or even noticed the lateness; he delivered them, took them back thinking he had made a mistake, then again delivered them with the chef's message. Main courses finally came; my pasta dish had been ready so long that it was barely warm and congealed. Desert, a sabayon, barely had a tablespoon (should have at least 1/2 C). I wish I could put this place on my favorites list but I'm steering clear, I'll stick with Aquitaine and Gaslight.
- Rarely fails to pleaseliv2eatDined on 9/13/2014A minor cosmetic makeover and a revised menu was just enough to freshen one of our local neighborhood spots. Metropolis is always a pleasant dining spot with staff that, unlike many other restaurants these days, has a "Can Do" attitude. It is very much appreciated in a dining world that thinks they are doing you a favor when they allow you to dine.Special Features:
- Perfect city cafekenessDined on 9/13/2014Looking out over a bustling South End street, Metropolis offers more than its share of surprises. Atmosphere was warm and cozy on a rainy Saturday night, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered from the prix fixe menu, which was limited in scope, but excellent. Salads were named simply but put together with unusually tasty combinations of ingredients. We both had the horseradish crusted salmon, and enjoyed it -- washing it down with some pretty decent glasses of wine (included). For dessert, we went in different directions -- warm banana bread pudding, versus the mixed berries -- both light, not too sweet. Our server was excellent and helpful. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodNewbieDined on 9/8/2014A date and I had an early dinner at Metropolis and took advantage of their blink-and-you'll-miss-it prix fixe menu (5:30-6:30 PM weekdays). Everything was outstandingly delicious, from the subtly spiced gazpacho to the rich, flavorful bread pudding. Great service, lovely atmosphere, good wine. A+, Metropolis! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fennel and pernodbostonflyboyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Have been wanted to visit for some time because of all the good things said about it. Was not disappointed. Had a wonderfully sauced mussels appetizer dish with Pernod. The main course was a pasta dish with crumbled fennel sausage that was amazing, with just the right amount of sauce. Too over pasta dishes are overwhelmed with sauce that detracts. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Love love love!foodieforallDined on 8/23/2014Had an amazing dinner here the other night. Had the opportunity to have their dine out Boston menu even though it was on a weekend. Food, service, ambiance, and décor were all great. Would high recommend this.Special Features:
- STICK TO THEIR MAIN MENU-TO DIE FORJoshVIPDined on 8/22/2014When we had first eaten here we were already dreaming of our second visit. Everything was absolutely perfect during out first trip- we literally ordered half the menu. Four friends who had all spent time together in Paris coming together and having an equally as marvelous meal! I have to say the restaurant week drew us back and we were very excited to hop back over to this beautiful little place. The roasted eggplant was not only pretty but so yummy. My main course of the pork was so tough and gritty it was hard to eat, needless to say 85% of it is still sitting in a little to go box in my fridge. Stick to the main menu here-- the chicken is so good, the different risotto they do are always good, the scallops...Special Features:
- Eph1793VIPDined on 8/4/2014An exquisite meal at a moderate price. This restaurant has never disappointed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular hakeSteveVIPDined on 8/4/2014Reservations were for two at 7. We were seated immediately in a nice corner table. i was worried that there were only four occupied tables, but by 8 pm, the place was buzzing. We ordered a nice French rose with appetizers. Our entrees were hake and a shrimp-pasta dish. My hake, served on a bed of red beans, was perfectly done, flaky, hot, and with a crispy crust. My wife's pasta dish was so spicy that she could only eat a few bites. So she ate the rest of my dish and i finished off hers with plenty of water. That was a dish only the heartiest of patrons could eat. Temper the heat, and it would have been much more enjoyable. Still, a good eating experience at one of our favorites in the South End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightHatebadfoodDined on 8/3/2014My boyfriend and I randomly picked this restaurant off of open table and had a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentluv3dinerDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant for our second date and it was great. Service was excellent. Wine selection was amazing. And the food blew my mind. The review don't do this place justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and consistentXavierVIPDined on 7/26/2014Second time at metropolis since 2013 and it delivered again: consistently good food, though this time less memorable than last, but great service made up for it. The place is cozy so don't plan to entertain more than 4 guests at a time and no cocktails available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropolis shines again!MuzzieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We dine at Metropolis Cafe three or four times a month. It never disappoints! The food is always delicious, the staff is attentive and pleasant and the setting is just right. It truly is a neighborhood gem. Metropolis is a go-to spot that always gets it right. I have never left there with even one thing to complain about.Special Features:
- Love the foodLN2241Dined on 7/23/2014Service could have been much better. It's a small place and we had a hard time flagging the waiter down to get the bill at the end of the night. I definitely suggest getting whatever they have that's seasonal/on special. Always my favorite choice.Special Features:
- Cozy, but comfortable and deliciousRickyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Went for an anniversary dinner. The appetizers all looked very interesting, but ended up going with the salad. My wife and I tried the salmon and the hake, both of which were cooked to the perfect temperature and texture. Overall taste was good, but not out of this world, so high marks, but not the best. Great ambience, and a cozy atmosphere if you're looking for a date place. Brunch menu looked awesome. My only complaint is that the seat on the left side of the restaurant right next to the window is located on top of some kind of heat source, and on one of the hottest days... it made for an uncomfortable, inadvertent hot seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was a delightOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014First time at Metropolis, but it won't be the last. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:
- MetropolisSadamsDined on 7/19/2014We liked Metropolis very much. The mussels were great. The salmon was too salty but the cauliflower gratin was outstanding. Ambiance is good- our table sat six and was fine. Wish they had a liquor license. Overall I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!ScottDined on 7/17/2014I had wanted to go to Metropolis for awhile and finally made it for dinner last week. The food exceeded my expectations. Everything we had was delicious from the asparagus appetizer to the hake to the risotto. The place was a lot smaller than we thought so the tables were very close to each other, but they did the best they could with the space they had. I would definitely recommend checking Metropolis out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 633 reviews are from the Metropolis Cafe reviews archive.
- Another fabulous meal hereRichSDined on 6/21/2014Another fabulous meal at Metropolis Cafe. Special was a risotto with smoked mozzarella melted into it with seared scallops and dollops of pesto. Wasn't sure the pesto was going to work, but it was an amazing combo. Server was attentive and provided great advice on wine pairings. So many choices in the South End, but after several visits here, this is rising toward the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notafoodieDined on 6/20/2014The food was good but not excellent. The vegetable sides were more flavorful and interesting than were the entrees. The horseradish crusted salmon should have had some zip but didn't. For something with horseradish on it, it was quite bland. The dessert (warm banana pudding) was not as good as I could make at home.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Had a great dinner. Great food and service. Arrived, with reservation, at 5:30 p.m. (opening) and three of us had an excellent, leisurely, dinner and were finished in plenty of time to get to a 7:30 show at the Calderwood Theatre down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014The fluke crudo was very disappointing. Minimal flavor and poor presentation; it was out of character for this restaurant.
- a gemadamVIPDined on 6/13/2014This place continues to be top notch and is a neighborhood gem. EXCELLENT quality food and a special experienceSpecial Features:
- well and thoughtfully prepared foodhamboneDined on 6/7/2014Best steamed mussels I've had in a long time… Chicken was very tasty…. everyone in our party seemed to enjoy their dishesSpecial Features:
- CucuDined on 6/5/2014What a great experience!! There should be a restaurant like this in every town in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful pre-theatre diningFranDined on 5/25/2014The food we chose was wonderful, and our waitress was charming and attentive. The almon and the cauliflower dishes were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceJackoDined on 5/18/2014We loved the food. Love our table. But neither of us drink and we ordered 2 diet cokes and were told the soda dispenser was broke but at the counter area i saw 3 people with sodas. But that is really my only gripe that we had to drink just waterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and servicesherpaDined on 5/11/2014This restaurant had very good food. The ambiance was intimate and the service was excellent.
- Great restaurant!meg4Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day dinner and had an amazing dinner! Our waitress was just FANTASTIC! She went out of her way for us from letting me try two wines that I was deciding between to noticing that our dessert was burnt and taking it back and getting us a new one without us even saying anything. The food, as always, was excellent! Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great first time experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014The food, atmosphere, and kind service made this a very pleasant meal. I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience and will definitely be back as a repeat customer. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2014What a great place for a casual night out. Very good food at reasonable prices--the risottos are terrific. The seating is a little cramped, and I'd advise a reservation because there's nowhere to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLocalFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2014We usually like the food at this neighborhood gem, but lately the kitchen has been extremely slow and the food not as good. We waited over 40 minutes on a not-so-crowded evening between end of salad and entree. The food was dry and disappointing. This was our second visit where this was the case.Special Features:
- bbgalVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Boston. The veal is the best anywhere. Love the asparagus app and had a great gem lettuce salad. Service is always great! A well run charming spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerKrisVIPDined on 4/18/2014I would highly recommend Metropolis Cafe to anyone looking for a high end dinner experience without the typical price tag. I would say the menu is $5-10 more expensive than an average restaurant, but delivers as if it's among the nicer restaurants in Boston. It's a small price to pay given the jump in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014We went for dinner before going to theatre across the street. We hadn't been in quite a while and although it's small and can be crowded and a bit noisy we thought we'd try again. The secret is going a little early. Our reservation was for 6PM and it was quiet, not crowded and nice. The food was wonderful. I started with the asparagus tartar, which was clean, refreshing and with some crunch on top. It was excellent. For an entree I had the seared salmon with a horseradish crust topping. I finished the whole thing. Nothing else need be said!Special Features: