584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: 6172472931x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)fit for foodies (39)romantic (27)special occasion (14)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (7)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Rarely fails to pleaseliv2eatDined on 9/13/2014A minor cosmetic makeover and a revised menu was just enough to freshen one of our local neighborhood spots. Metropolis is always a pleasant dining spot with staff that, unlike many other restaurants these days, has a "Can Do" attitude. It is very much appreciated in a dining world that thinks they are doing you a favor when they allow you to dine.Special Features:
- Perfect city cafekenessDined on 9/13/2014Looking out over a bustling South End street, Metropolis offers more than its share of surprises. Atmosphere was warm and cozy on a rainy Saturday night, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered from the prix fixe menu, which was limited in scope, but excellent. Salads were named simply but put together with unusually tasty combinations of ingredients. We both had the horseradish crusted salmon, and enjoyed it -- washing it down with some pretty decent glasses of wine (included). For dessert, we went in different directions -- warm banana bread pudding, versus the mixed berries -- both light, not too sweet. Our server was excellent and helpful. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodNewbieDined on 9/8/2014A date and I had an early dinner at Metropolis and took advantage of their blink-and-you'll-miss-it prix fixe menu (5:30-6:30 PM weekdays). Everything was outstandingly delicious, from the subtly spiced gazpacho to the rich, flavorful bread pudding. Great service, lovely atmosphere, good wine. A+, Metropolis! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fennel and pernodbostonflyboyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Have been wanted to visit for some time because of all the good things said about it. Was not disappointed. Had a wonderfully sauced mussels appetizer dish with Pernod. The main course was a pasta dish with crumbled fennel sausage that was amazing, with just the right amount of sauce. Too over pasta dishes are overwhelmed with sauce that detracts. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Love love love!foodieforallDined on 8/23/2014Had an amazing dinner here the other night. Had the opportunity to have their dine out Boston menu even though it was on a weekend. Food, service, ambiance, and décor were all great. Would high recommend this.Special Features:
- STICK TO THEIR MAIN MENU-TO DIE FORJoshVIPDined on 8/22/2014When we had first eaten here we were already dreaming of our second visit. Everything was absolutely perfect during out first trip- we literally ordered half the menu. Four friends who had all spent time together in Paris coming together and having an equally as marvelous meal! I have to say the restaurant week drew us back and we were very excited to hop back over to this beautiful little place. The roasted eggplant was not only pretty but so yummy. My main course of the pork was so tough and gritty it was hard to eat, needless to say 85% of it is still sitting in a little to go box in my fridge. Stick to the main menu here-- the chicken is so good, the different risotto they do are always good, the scallops...Special Features:
- Eph1793VIPDined on 8/4/2014An exquisite meal at a moderate price. This restaurant has never disappointed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular hakeSteveVIPDined on 8/4/2014Reservations were for two at 7. We were seated immediately in a nice corner table. i was worried that there were only four occupied tables, but by 8 pm, the place was buzzing. We ordered a nice French rose with appetizers. Our entrees were hake and a shrimp-pasta dish. My hake, served on a bed of red beans, was perfectly done, flaky, hot, and with a crispy crust. My wife's pasta dish was so spicy that she could only eat a few bites. So she ate the rest of my dish and i finished off hers with plenty of water. That was a dish only the heartiest of patrons could eat. Temper the heat, and it would have been much more enjoyable. Still, a good eating experience at one of our favorites in the South End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightHatebadfoodDined on 8/3/2014My boyfriend and I randomly picked this restaurant off of open table and had a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentluv3dinerDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant for our second date and it was great. Service was excellent. Wine selection was amazing. And the food blew my mind. The review don't do this place justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and consistentXavierVIPDined on 7/26/2014Second time at metropolis since 2013 and it delivered again: consistently good food, though this time less memorable than last, but great service made up for it. The place is cozy so don't plan to entertain more than 4 guests at a time and no cocktails available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropolis shines again!MuzzieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We dine at Metropolis Cafe three or four times a month. It never disappoints! The food is always delicious, the staff is attentive and pleasant and the setting is just right. It truly is a neighborhood gem. Metropolis is a go-to spot that always gets it right. I have never left there with even one thing to complain about.Special Features:
- Cozy, but comfortable and deliciousRickyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Went for an anniversary dinner. The appetizers all looked very interesting, but ended up going with the salad. My wife and I tried the salmon and the hake, both of which were cooked to the perfect temperature and texture. Overall taste was good, but not out of this world, so high marks, but not the best. Great ambience, and a cozy atmosphere if you're looking for a date place. Brunch menu looked awesome. My only complaint is that the seat on the left side of the restaurant right next to the window is located on top of some kind of heat source, and on one of the hottest days... it made for an uncomfortable, inadvertent hot seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was a delightOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014First time at Metropolis, but it won't be the last. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:
- MetropolisSadamsDined on 7/19/2014We liked Metropolis very much. The mussels were great. The salmon was too salty but the cauliflower gratin was outstanding. Ambiance is good- our table sat six and was fine. Wish they had a liquor license. Overall I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!ScottDined on 7/17/2014I had wanted to go to Metropolis for awhile and finally made it for dinner last week. The food exceeded my expectations. Everything we had was delicious from the asparagus appetizer to the hake to the risotto. The place was a lot smaller than we thought so the tables were very close to each other, but they did the best they could with the space they had. I would definitely recommend checking Metropolis out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal hereRichSDined on 6/21/2014Another fabulous meal at Metropolis Cafe. Special was a risotto with smoked mozzarella melted into it with seared scallops and dollops of pesto. Wasn't sure the pesto was going to work, but it was an amazing combo. Server was attentive and provided great advice on wine pairings. So many choices in the South End, but after several visits here, this is rising toward the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notafoodieDined on 6/20/2014The food was good but not excellent. The vegetable sides were more flavorful and interesting than were the entrees. The horseradish crusted salmon should have had some zip but didn't. For something with horseradish on it, it was quite bland. The dessert (warm banana pudding) was not as good as I could make at home.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Had a great dinner. Great food and service. Arrived, with reservation, at 5:30 p.m. (opening) and three of us had an excellent, leisurely, dinner and were finished in plenty of time to get to a 7:30 show at the Calderwood Theatre down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014The fluke crudo was very disappointing. Minimal flavor and poor presentation; it was out of character for this restaurant.
- a gemadamVIPDined on 6/13/2014This place continues to be top notch and is a neighborhood gem. EXCELLENT quality food and a special experienceSpecial Features:
- well and thoughtfully prepared foodhamboneDined on 6/7/2014Best steamed mussels I've had in a long time… Chicken was very tasty…. everyone in our party seemed to enjoy their dishesSpecial Features:
- CucuDined on 6/5/2014What a great experience!! There should be a restaurant like this in every town in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful pre-theatre diningFranDined on 5/25/2014The food we chose was wonderful, and our waitress was charming and attentive. The almon and the cauliflower dishes were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 625 reviews are from the Metropolis Cafe reviews archive.
- Dining experienceJackoDined on 5/18/2014We loved the food. Love our table. But neither of us drink and we ordered 2 diet cokes and were told the soda dispenser was broke but at the counter area i saw 3 people with sodas. But that is really my only gripe that we had to drink just waterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and servicesherpaDined on 5/11/2014This restaurant had very good food. The ambiance was intimate and the service was excellent.
- Great restaurant!meg4Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day dinner and had an amazing dinner! Our waitress was just FANTASTIC! She went out of her way for us from letting me try two wines that I was deciding between to noticing that our dessert was burnt and taking it back and getting us a new one without us even saying anything. The food, as always, was excellent! Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great first time experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014The food, atmosphere, and kind service made this a very pleasant meal. I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience and will definitely be back as a repeat customer. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2014What a great place for a casual night out. Very good food at reasonable prices--the risottos are terrific. The seating is a little cramped, and I'd advise a reservation because there's nowhere to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLocalFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2014We usually like the food at this neighborhood gem, but lately the kitchen has been extremely slow and the food not as good. We waited over 40 minutes on a not-so-crowded evening between end of salad and entree. The food was dry and disappointing. This was our second visit where this was the case.Special Features:
- bbgalVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Boston. The veal is the best anywhere. Love the asparagus app and had a great gem lettuce salad. Service is always great! A well run charming spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerKrisVIPDined on 4/18/2014I would highly recommend Metropolis Cafe to anyone looking for a high end dinner experience without the typical price tag. I would say the menu is $5-10 more expensive than an average restaurant, but delivers as if it's among the nicer restaurants in Boston. It's a small price to pay given the jump in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014We went for dinner before going to theatre across the street. We hadn't been in quite a while and although it's small and can be crowded and a bit noisy we thought we'd try again. The secret is going a little early. Our reservation was for 6PM and it was quiet, not crowded and nice. The food was wonderful. I started with the asparagus tartar, which was clean, refreshing and with some crunch on top. It was excellent. For an entree I had the seared salmon with a horseradish crust topping. I finished the whole thing. Nothing else need be said!Special Features:
- Perfect!BMerryDined on 4/2/2014This was my first visit to Metropolis and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm looking forward to my second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ExperiencecwcadyDined on 3/27/2014Great food, and great service. Three out of the four of us got the pork and it was delicious! It's very small in the restaurant however, and with the winter Boston has been having, I felt like we were surrounded by big parkas and winter accessories because there is no coat check or a lot of room to put the jackets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeadamVIPDined on 3/26/2014Came here the other day and it is still my favorite of the Aquitane Group restaurants. It still retains the small neighborhood charm. The food was delicious. We came for dine out boston week. For starters, the bread and olive oil with roasted garlic was excellent, well above average and got me excited for dinner. We had the calamari with olives and capers which was good. The Hake was excellent and cooked very well. The pork was very good, but overcooked, so a bit hard in texture. The desserts were both fantastic. They also chose to offer the lower price for Dine Out Boston, unlike most of the neighborhood restaurants, but the quality was there and it made me want to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeJosephDined on 3/17/2014Metropolis Cafe is a gem in all regards. I was very pleased with the ambience, the menu, our waiter, our waiter's suggestions and subtle attention to detail, the food - all were terrific. I would recommend Metropolis to anyone seeking a special place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!JerrtVIPDined on 3/14/2014We've had many good meals there, and this was one of the best. The endive salad and asparagus tartare were wonderful, and the veal and short rib entrees were excellent as well. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were not even seated yetrftdltVIPDined on 3/8/2014We were not even seated yet when the waiter came rushing over to see what we wanted. We asked for time. He was back in two minutes. Then, (weirdest thing of all), waiter approached table while my husband was in the men's room to again ask me to order. He looked surprised when I explained that one of us was not present. The place is tiny and there are way too many tables. No room for all dishes to fit on the table. We could hear every word of our neighbors' conversation. Banquette and chairs were very uncomfortable. There was a rush all night to move us out of there as fast as possible. Food was also flawed. Gnocchi was super salty. And one should never put whole peppercorns, lots of them, in a dish.
- Incredibly delicious foodNosajOpenTableDined on 3/8/2014Everything was spectacular, at surprisingly reasonable prices. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.