584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-2931
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (51)romantic (35)special occasion (21)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- CucuDined on 6/5/2014What a great experience!! There should be a restaurant like this in every town in the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful pre-theatre diningFranDined on 5/25/2014The food we chose was wonderful, and our waitress was charming and attentive. The almon and the cauliflower dishes were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceJackoDined on 5/18/2014We loved the food. Love our table. But neither of us drink and we ordered 2 diet cokes and were told the soda dispenser was broke but at the counter area i saw 3 people with sodas. But that is really my only gripe that we had to drink just waterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and servicesherpaDined on 5/11/2014This restaurant had very good food. The ambiance was intimate and the service was excellent.
- Great restaurant!meg4Dined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day dinner and had an amazing dinner! Our waitress was just FANTASTIC! She went out of her way for us from letting me try two wines that I was deciding between to noticing that our dessert was burnt and taking it back and getting us a new one without us even saying anything. The food, as always, was excellent! Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great first time experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014The food, atmosphere, and kind service made this a very pleasant meal. I was thoroughly satisfied with my experience and will definitely be back as a repeat customer. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my new favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/2/2014What a great place for a casual night out. Very good food at reasonable prices--the risottos are terrific. The seating is a little cramped, and I'd advise a reservation because there's nowhere to wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLocalFoodieVIPDined on 4/22/2014We usually like the food at this neighborhood gem, but lately the kitchen has been extremely slow and the food not as good. We waited over 40 minutes on a not-so-crowded evening between end of salad and entree. The food was dry and disappointing. This was our second visit where this was the case.Special Features:
- bbgalVIPDined on 4/19/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Boston. The veal is the best anywhere. Love the asparagus app and had a great gem lettuce salad. Service is always great! A well run charming spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing DinnerKrisVIPDined on 4/18/2014I would highly recommend Metropolis Cafe to anyone looking for a high end dinner experience without the typical price tag. I would say the menu is $5-10 more expensive than an average restaurant, but delivers as if it's among the nicer restaurants in Boston. It's a small price to pay given the jump in quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014We went for dinner before going to theatre across the street. We hadn't been in quite a while and although it's small and can be crowded and a bit noisy we thought we'd try again. The secret is going a little early. Our reservation was for 6PM and it was quiet, not crowded and nice. The food was wonderful. I started with the asparagus tartar, which was clean, refreshing and with some crunch on top. It was excellent. For an entree I had the seared salmon with a horseradish crust topping. I finished the whole thing. Nothing else need be said!Special Features:
- Perfect!BMerryDined on 4/2/2014This was my first visit to Metropolis and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm looking forward to my second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week ExperiencecwcadyDined on 3/27/2014Great food, and great service. Three out of the four of us got the pork and it was delicious! It's very small in the restaurant however, and with the winter Boston has been having, I felt like we were surrounded by big parkas and winter accessories because there is no coat check or a lot of room to put the jackets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeadamVIPDined on 3/26/2014Came here the other day and it is still my favorite of the Aquitane Group restaurants. It still retains the small neighborhood charm. The food was delicious. We came for dine out boston week. For starters, the bread and olive oil with roasted garlic was excellent, well above average and got me excited for dinner. We had the calamari with olives and capers which was good. The Hake was excellent and cooked very well. The pork was very good, but overcooked, so a bit hard in texture. The desserts were both fantastic. They also chose to offer the lower price for Dine Out Boston, unlike most of the neighborhood restaurants, but the quality was there and it made me want to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timeJosephDined on 3/17/2014Metropolis Cafe is a gem in all regards. I was very pleased with the ambience, the menu, our waiter, our waiter's suggestions and subtle attention to detail, the food - all were terrific. I would recommend Metropolis to anyone seeking a special place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!JerrtVIPDined on 3/14/2014We've had many good meals there, and this was one of the best. The endive salad and asparagus tartare were wonderful, and the veal and short rib entrees were excellent as well. Unfortunately we had no room for dessert!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were not even seated yetrftdltVIPDined on 3/8/2014We were not even seated yet when the waiter came rushing over to see what we wanted. We asked for time. He was back in two minutes. Then, (weirdest thing of all), waiter approached table while my husband was in the men's room to again ask me to order. He looked surprised when I explained that one of us was not present. The place is tiny and there are way too many tables. No room for all dishes to fit on the table. We could hear every word of our neighbors' conversation. Banquette and chairs were very uncomfortable. There was a rush all night to move us out of there as fast as possible. Food was also flawed. Gnocchi was super salty. And one should never put whole peppercorns, lots of them, in a dish.
- Incredibly delicious foodNosajOpenTableDined on 3/8/2014Everything was spectacular, at surprisingly reasonable prices. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!! A MUST go allDanielVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great Place!! A MUST go all the way. It was perfect from beginning, middle and end. A true neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotIltry1VIPDined on 2/28/2014An Aquitaine Group restaurant the conveniently handles valet parking across the street at Aquitaine. Small and good!Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceJohnDouglasDined on 2/27/2014This was my fourth or fifth time at Metropolis. Why do I come back? The food is deliciously prepared and nicely presented. The root vegetables are completely fresh, the kale was amazingly flavored, the short ribs were wonderful. I give the wine list a top rating for very good wines at reasonable prices, most under $40.00. This was a birthday dinner which I noted on the Open Table reservation and the desert was served with a lighted candle. The service was knowledgeable and quiet. Finally, for a South End restaurant the parking is easy, with valet service from Aquitaine just across Tremont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereJamesDined on 2/22/2014Very affordable for the south end. The chocolate cake was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy and DeliciousChiquitaVIPDined on 2/16/2014From the moment you part the velvet curtain that protects the cozy intimate dining room from the draft at the front door, you know you're in a special place. Perfect for quiet conversation, attentive and friendly staff. Asparagus appetizer is fab. Our table ordered short ribs, horseradish encrusted salmon, the halibut special and three veggie side dishes. All was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantLunlarDined on 2/15/2014We have been going to Metropolis for some time. The food and service have always been very good and the ambiance of the restaurant makes you feel that you are in a European city. The menu is great with unique ingrediants. The prices are ok but not as moderate as before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will keep going back...ChoobiesDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I have gone to Metropolis Café for two special occasions and both times has been amazing. Rather than trying to describe the food, I'll just say this: Both times I left the restaurant having enjoyed every bite and feeling like I ate just the right amount of food. I think it's hard to find that balance where you ate to your stomach's content yet you don't feel you over-ate or sleepiness will come over you. My wife and I will continue to make Metropolis one of our top choices for special dinners.Special Features:
- Fun, casual place, good for wineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2014We got the mussels appetizer which was tasty (Pernod, fennel, tomato, fish broth) with lots of garlic. It was a bit over-salted but the sweetness of the fennel almost covered it up. The bread was top quality and the roasted garlic and olive oil a nice touch. Next course, was the Hungarian smoked paprika kale, the 'green salad' and the marsala duck confit over fettuccine & mushroom cream sauce. The kale was inedible - greasy, too much paprika I felt like I was eating fireplace ash. Sent it back. The green salad was fine- no complaints. But the fettuccine was like a solid brick of butter, fat and salt. The duck flavor was overwhelmed by the salinity and it was very heavy. Too hungry to send back. If I ever return, I will be careful ordering!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spoturdinerVIPDined on 2/11/2014This is one of my favorite go to neighborhood spots. The food is good, service is attentive and all of the staff are very friendly and make you feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectGilGirl57VIPDined on 2/7/2014Metropolis is such a perfect combination of a good comfortable vibe with friendly and good affordable food. I'm always glad when we choose Metropolis and when we don't -- often regret that we didn't. There are no pretensions and the food is very good. Comfort, cozy and friendly!!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, good foodJackVIPDined on 2/4/2014Cafe Metropolis is a perfect place for a romantic evening out. The decor perfectly captures the feel of a dim lit European bistro, flickering candles and cozy booths make the place feel really romantic. The food was nice but not as good as I was expecting. We had gnocchi with duck confit, sea scallops in a corn purée, and the cidered pork tenderloin. The gnocchi and duck were well prepared but a bit to rich and salty, the scallops were our favorite, really spot on flavors, simple but perfectly executed. T pork, which they so kindly split for us, also had great flavor, but wasn't as tender as I'd like. Over all this is a really nice place that's definitely worth checking out if you're a Bostonian who enjoys dining well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemTargaDined on 2/1/2014Had a wonderful meal!!! The restaurant is consistently excellent . All three courses were great. It's such a comfortable restaurant. This is one of my favorite restaurant for both brunch&dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special place on TremontbriogirlDined on 1/26/2014I've long been a fan of Metropolis, although occasionally unhappy that it has a limited menu. Three of the four of us dined on the evening special roasted cod. Well balanced flavors, perfect portions. A warm, intimate setting on a cold winter's night. We felt like we were in a European restaurant, no rush no hassle, lovely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, we had an outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/14/2014Once again, we had an outstanding experience at Metropolis Cafe. Friendly, attentive service accompanied by excellent food makes Metropolis one of our favorite restaurants in Boston. The chicken soup was shared by all of us. The veal entree and duck breast special were excellent. Risotto was very good, but too salty for my taste. Desserts were very good as usual. And the price - very reasonable for Boston standards. We'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I never write reviews butBigdinerVIPDined on 1/6/2014I never write reviews but I was very disappointed in Metropolis! The chef had a date with the salt shaker. It was overwhelmingly. It was almost I edible. I never send things back. I'm too embarrassed! I was so disappointed and will probably Never return. I've had meals there before but never like that!Special Features:
- Our food was somewhat disappointingmaggie97Dined on 12/31/2013Our food was somewhat disappointing, especially my boyfriend's entrée of hangar steak and fries.. fries very burnt and steak very chewy and hard to cut. Maybe it was just the stress of New Years eve leading to such mistakes as I like this place and have had good meals in the past.Special Features:
- Delicious!WorldTravelerVIPDined on 12/27/2013We took friends from NYC to dinner- one of whom is in the restaurant business- and they loved Metropolis. Food was excellent all around, and the atmosphere reminded them of a small NYC restaurant. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a nice dinnerchuckmac07VIPDined on 12/18/2013tables are a bit cramped, but we like the decor. service was very good. salads were a bit overdressed but fresh. soup had very fresh ingredients but was a bit bland. halibut was nicely done but accompaniments a bit soupy. chocolate pudding cake was advertised as more pudding than cake, but while good, was basically a gooey chocolate cake.I would recommend this to a friend.
- more than foodRaoulVIPDined on 12/12/2013My partner and I have been going here for years. The food is both solid and inventive. The service is wonderful and relaxed. The place is small and cozy. It's a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale cafe great for a dateCafegirlDined on 11/16/2013I've been to Metropolis a few times over the past several years and it's consistently a charming, delicious evening out. This time my husband and I came for dinner before seeing a play. I love the stylish yet unfussy ambience. The food was delicious (I had the sole and my husband had a braised lamb dish, followed by good desserts) and not as pricey as some comparable restaurants. How nice to see this cozy restaurant continues to thrive at its perch on Tremont Street!Special Features:
- nice place for early dinnerRegulardinerVIPDined on 11/16/2013We ate here before going to the BSO at Syphony Hall. It was an easy walk from the Dartmouth Street garage, and then over to Symphony Hall. The service was quick and attentive, and the food was good. It was more of the comfort food variety than elegant gourmet treatments, but nonetheless fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- Bad night?FussyDined on 11/15/2013We have eaten here before and were happy enough the return. This evening the table was far too small for our party of four. The service was surly. The food was barely acceptable. My wife's appetizer did not come as described on the menu. When my wife pointed out the missing item, the waiter returned and more or less threw it on her plate.