584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-2931
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (51)romantic (35)special occasion (21)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- My fish was WAY too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/3/2008My fish was WAY too salty and slightly over-cooked. My boyfriend's food was actually quite good and well prepared.Special Features:
- WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE METROPOLISOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2008WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE METROPOLIS CAFE !!! THE FOOD AND SERVICE ARE ONE OF THE BEST IN BOSTON !!! THE CHEF HAS CREATED MANY SPECTACULAR DISHES AND SERVES THEM WITH FLAIR. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAFE FOR ANY OCCASION OR JUST FOR A NITE OUT.Special Features:
- This is one of my favoriteMathildacooksVIPDined on 5/23/2008This is one of my favorite places to eat in Boston. The food is always great, the service warm and friendly, they were really great at accomodating us as a walk-in the other night. And for the location, service and food...the price is great! Only complaint is dessert...usually kind of whatever choices, so I tend to head down the street for some ice cream at PICCO's.Special Features:
- We used to live in the SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/19/2008We used to live in the South End and frequented Metropolis. We went back for a special occasion and were quite disappointed with the food. It was very average. Nothing special. In fact, the gnocci was very, very bland.Special Features:
- We were there on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/18/2008We were there on a Sunday evening and both got the exact same dish as the previous Saturday (rigatoni). We both felt that the sauce used was not freshly made and had a leftover taste. Additionally, it took quite a while for our entrees to be served and when they arrived neither were overly hot in contrast to the previous week.
- I have been there severalChuckDined on 5/16/2008I have been there several times. I love the ambience and decor and the food is always outstanding. The service is excellent. The woman who greeted us at the door even offered to run across the street in the rain and put another quarter in my meter!Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2008We were pleasantly surprised by our first visit to Metropolis. It is a tiny place, but we went at 6pm when it was not crowded. When we were leaving, the room was getting tight. We sat at a sunny table in the front window. I had the risotto of the day and my husband had the scallops special. Both were delicious. He also had a very fresh salad and yuumy roasted mushrooms. The wine list is limited nad the bottles are marked up quite a bit. I had the banana bread pudding which lived up to the reviews I had read on line. Overall it was a very pleasant experience, and we would go again, but only early in the evening.Special Features:
- A real find in the South End.OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 5/7/2008A real find in the South End. Food as good as others on the street and is more moderately priced. The risotto of the day is fabulous as was the chicken entree which is always a good test of a kitchen's competence. Unfortunately they can't have outside tables which is disappointing on a beautiful spring day.Special Features:
- Always great food. ComfortableNYCBOSNYCVIPDined on 4/21/2008Always great food. Comfortable atmosphere. Small room but a real neighborhood standby.Special Features:
- A cute spot with a tired menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2008A cute spot with a tired menu. Food was way too salty. Main flavor notes were salt and fat. Fish special (haddock) was overcooked. Mushroom side dish unappetizing and very salty. Bread not especially fresh. Nice waitstaff, pleasant spot, but would not recommend the food.
- loved it, though came outsideOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2008loved it, though came outside to parking ticket on my car, right in front! OUch!! didn't know you needed to feed the meter at night.........Special Features:
- I hadn't been there in a longxxxxxVIPDined on 4/19/2008I hadn't been there in a long time - was very disappointed. Won't be back. Felt rushed by wait staff person, who gave us much incorrect information. My food was quite good, but my friend's was below average. Very noisy, which I don't think they can do much about, given number of tables and acoustics. Overall, did not live up to my memory of the place.
- A little crowded - almostOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2008A little crowded - almost like there was one table too many. Food was good and other than being a little crowded, the atmosphere was nice. Very quaint.Special Features:
- I felt underwhelmed by theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/16/2008I felt underwhelmed by the food and service. The food was very slaty and cold when it arrived after our long wait. I was very disappointed in the experience, I had been there many times in the past but not in a year or so. I was looking forward to it since I remembered it being good. I will not go back and it ruined my past memories.
- Really enjoy dining thereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/14/2008Really enjoy dining there -- menu varied and nice -- staff very helpful -- friendly atmosphere!Special Features:
- We had to wait a bit but theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/11/2008We had to wait a bit but the food and service were outstanding. We got some great recommendations for food and wine from our server. Definitely enjoyed by all!!Special Features:
- We had a very pleasant mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2008We had a very pleasant meal before the theater. Everything was just right!Special Features:
- We live in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2008We live in the neighborhood and think this restaurant is a true gem! The ambiance is great with the rich red paint and glowing stars that light the bar. The service is wonderful with personal service. The food is inventive and high quality. A must visit in the South End!Special Features:
- Metropolis unfortunately changedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/5/2008Metropolis unfortunately changed when the chef did and it's lost some of it's great dishes. It used to be our old reliable restaurant whenever we wanted a guaranteed good meal. We will give it another shot in a few months when the transitioned has perhaps eased a bit.Special Features:
- The brook trout with lentilsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/5/2008The brook trout with lentils was so good I wanted to drink it down!Special Features:
- The calimari and mussuls appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2008The calimari and mussuls appetizers were fine but nothing special. One friend and I got the pasta special (a hollow spaghetti with pancetta and a parmesean sauce) and were both very disappointed. The waitress raved about it but the flavor was bland and boring and the portion was very small. I can't imagine why she'd recommend it so highly. Two other friends got the risotto special with chicken, lemon, mushrooms, and leeks and that was better, although not particularly impressive. The wine was fantastic (Firestone Riesling and Gnarly Head Zinfandel) and the carmel sauce on the banana bread dessert was amazing. Atmosphere is very nice as well. I had high expectations of the Metropolis Cafe and overall I have to say I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Maitre'd was very attentivethweissguyDined on 4/1/2008Maitre'd was very attentive to our concerns over the quality of the food - tasty but overcooked, veal too chewy and dishes not warm enough. Waiter was clearly totally distracted by internal issues.
- We really enjoyed it! ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2008We really enjoyed it! Service was speedy. The restaurant is small and cozy, but our table was comfortable. We liked the ambiance, and found it reasonably priced.Special Features:
- The only problem encounteredOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008The only problem encountered was that despite having a reservation, we had a bit of a wait. But I understand that restaurant week probably made the restaurant busier than normal, and the food was good enough that our wait did not make the experience unpleasant in any way. I have recommended Metropolis to others and plan to go back again soon!Special Features:
- This was the second time weexxnavymanDined on 3/20/2008This was the second time we had been to Metropolis and did enjoy it as much as the first time. We were there to celebrate my partner's 50th birthday. Right after we arrived the electricity went out on the whole block for 30 minutes, but that kind of made it romantic. When the lights came back on our food came out almost immediately so that was not a problem. We'd definately go back again.Special Features:
- the portion sizes were embarrassingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2008the portion sizes were embarrassing for a restaurant during boston's restaurant week. shall not return.....
- While the food was great,LoveFrenchFoodDined on 2/23/2008While the food was great, my party was greatly disappointed that our reservation time was not honored. The wait was becoming unacceptable.Special Features: