584 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metropolisboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 247-2931
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am -3:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Bill Nurse
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
- Private Party Contact: Micaela Cullinan 617-247-2931x
- Special Events: Restaurant is available LUNCH starting at $15/person and DINNER starting at $25/person for semi-private dining, or private dining for groups of 10 to 40 people (both prices exclude alcoholic beverages, tax and tip).
A word from Metropolis Cafe
A cozy and casual cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston's Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. We serve dinner nightly including a popular neighborhood brunch on both Saturday and Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Metropolis Cafe - Best Restaurants in South End ›
Metropolis Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (51)romantic (35)special occasion (21)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Neighborhood Gal8228ManorDined on 11/20/2014Always consistently delicious food ~ reasonable portions ~ excellent service ~ intimate atmosphere ~ cozy ~ a bit romantic ~ decent wine list and overall favorite South End neighborhood go- to dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Been to Metropolis several times and have never had a bad experience. Food is consistently good, scene is great and the staff is very attentive. I never order chicken in restaurants but I have it most of the time when I go to Metropolis. This is a restaurant that is comfortable in its space and doesn't try to be anything else while always delivering on what it does best. Wish it was closer to home for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor service, very cold in restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Despite the reservation, our table was not ready on time They could not figure out how to call the valet to have our car brought around Our waiter ignored us for long stretches of time Every time someone opened the door the whole restaurant got cold. I had to eat with my jacket on.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner for my wife at Metropolis.mightygoodDined on 11/15/2014Seated on the wall, our booth was warm and cozy on a cold night. Metropolis has a great feeling of neighborhood regulars and people looking for good food. It was very busy, every seat was taken and yet every thing was served promptly. Service was great and even last minute requests were fulfilled quickly. Food was served piping hot right from the stove. Sorry we had to pass on desert because we tried so many other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Coming BackSapoDined on 11/8/2014My parents and grandmother were visiting for the week, so I wanted a cozy restaurant with a nice ambiance to take them to celebrate my grandmother's birthday. This was perfect. It is an adorable little restaurant, but most importantly, the food was amazing. I got the cod, my father got the Salmon, my mother got the sole, and my grandmother got pork. We also ordered brussel sprouts and lentils as sides. Everything was delicious and uniquely seasoned. This is a restaurant I definitely want to return to.Special Features:
- Nice place to eat after theaterNewtonDinerDined on 11/2/2014This is a pleasant place with good food, near the Boston Center for the Arts, and so is good for dinner after a Sunday matinee, which is why we were there. They have a prix fixe menu from 5:30 to 6:30 with a limited but interesting selection. The prix fixe portion was smaller than the enormous risotto my wife got when ordering off the regular menu, so I would recommend the prix fixe menu for older people such as ourselves who can't eat as much as we once did. I especially liked the cod with lentils and bacon, although I might have liked more evidence of the bacon, such as a few lardons to nibble on, and there was perhaps a bit too much liquid in the lentils (I don't know whether leftover from cooking the lentils or juice from the cod).Special Features:
- JohnVIPDined on 10/29/2014As we expected the chicken dish was very tasty. Enjoyable place as a neighborhood restaurant but I wouldn't consider it a destination restaurant given the many better places in the Boston / camb / Som area. Service was friendly by disappointingly slow and inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dessert was deal breakerScooterVIPDined on 10/26/2014I had the prix fixe. Appetizer was delicious. Entree was good. Dessert -apple crisp - was inedible. As if the chef forget an ingredient or substituted salt for sugar. Three of us tried it. None liked it. We all loved the warm chocolate pudding we ordered. The waitress apologized and quickly added she coulmt take it off the bill because it was prix fixed. We didn't ask her to but thought it a silly comment. Moshe could have offered to comp the other dessert or even the one cup of coffee. Left us with a bad taste - even worse than the actual crispSpecial Features:
- Neve disappointingMahoneyMVIPDined on 10/25/2014This place is a gem. It's very small though -- so make reservations! The food and service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-theatre crowdCwlparisDined on 10/24/2014Inventive food. An enthusiastic waitress. Perfect timing between courses. Delicious food. Good wine. Decent pricing. What more can you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CassiopiaDined on 10/21/2014Food was excellent. Butterscotch Bodino to die for! Seating in booths a bit tight - not for the overweight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltyWhiteSpiceDined on 10/11/2014The atmosphere was wonderful and the cheese plate was fantastic, but nearly everything else that called for salt had WAY too much of it. It was a real shame, because the duck confit risotto could have been so delicious, but that would have required my tasting something other than salt. Once again, let me stress that it was a fantastic atmosphere, but the food left quite a bit to be desired.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spotsjameDined on 10/10/2014Everything I've ever eaten here is delicious. The service is always fantastic and it's quite affordable given the atmosphere and food.Special Features:
- IncredibleJeffDined on 10/1/2014Great evening! A unique menu with excellent food and fantastic service! A GREAT spot for a romantic dinner. If you live in Boston and have never ventured to Metropolis, put it on your bucket list!Special Features:
- upbeat boston bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014Excellent food with a fun, urban, bistro vibe...unhurried excellent service...delicious.Special Features:
- RecommendableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Already recommended it to several. Exactly $100 for two with two glasses of wine each! The veal scallopini was to die for. Get the recipe for the cauliflower gratin and send it to me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingCat1Dined on 9/17/2014I'd like to give any restaurant benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps this was an unusual night. Our waiter was uninformed about the menu, our food took close to an hour to get to us (the room was not half full). The chef nicely sent salads out because of our wait, though our server never apologized or even noticed the lateness; he delivered them, took them back thinking he had made a mistake, then again delivered them with the chef's message. Main courses finally came; my pasta dish had been ready so long that it was barely warm and congealed. Desert, a sabayon, barely had a tablespoon (should have at least 1/2 C). I wish I could put this place on my favorites list but I'm steering clear, I'll stick with Aquitaine and Gaslight.
- Rarely fails to pleaseliv2eatDined on 9/13/2014A minor cosmetic makeover and a revised menu was just enough to freshen one of our local neighborhood spots. Metropolis is always a pleasant dining spot with staff that, unlike many other restaurants these days, has a "Can Do" attitude. It is very much appreciated in a dining world that thinks they are doing you a favor when they allow you to dine.Special Features:
- Perfect city cafekenessDined on 9/13/2014Looking out over a bustling South End street, Metropolis offers more than its share of surprises. Atmosphere was warm and cozy on a rainy Saturday night, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We ordered from the prix fixe menu, which was limited in scope, but excellent. Salads were named simply but put together with unusually tasty combinations of ingredients. We both had the horseradish crusted salmon, and enjoyed it -- washing it down with some pretty decent glasses of wine (included). For dessert, we went in different directions -- warm banana bread pudding, versus the mixed berries -- both light, not too sweet. Our server was excellent and helpful. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodNewbieDined on 9/8/2014A date and I had an early dinner at Metropolis and took advantage of their blink-and-you'll-miss-it prix fixe menu (5:30-6:30 PM weekdays). Everything was outstandingly delicious, from the subtly spiced gazpacho to the rich, flavorful bread pudding. Great service, lovely atmosphere, good wine. A+, Metropolis! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Fennel and pernodbostonflyboyVIPDined on 8/25/2014Have been wanted to visit for some time because of all the good things said about it. Was not disappointed. Had a wonderfully sauced mussels appetizer dish with Pernod. The main course was a pasta dish with crumbled fennel sausage that was amazing, with just the right amount of sauce. Too over pasta dishes are overwhelmed with sauce that detracts. Will be backSpecial Features:
- Love love love!foodieforallDined on 8/23/2014Had an amazing dinner here the other night. Had the opportunity to have their dine out Boston menu even though it was on a weekend. Food, service, ambiance, and décor were all great. Would high recommend this.Special Features:
- STICK TO THEIR MAIN MENU-TO DIE FORJoshVIPDined on 8/22/2014When we had first eaten here we were already dreaming of our second visit. Everything was absolutely perfect during out first trip- we literally ordered half the menu. Four friends who had all spent time together in Paris coming together and having an equally as marvelous meal! I have to say the restaurant week drew us back and we were very excited to hop back over to this beautiful little place. The roasted eggplant was not only pretty but so yummy. My main course of the pork was so tough and gritty it was hard to eat, needless to say 85% of it is still sitting in a little to go box in my fridge. Stick to the main menu here-- the chicken is so good, the different risotto they do are always good, the scallops...Special Features:
- Eph1793VIPDined on 8/4/2014An exquisite meal at a moderate price. This restaurant has never disappointed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular hakeSteveVIPDined on 8/4/2014Reservations were for two at 7. We were seated immediately in a nice corner table. i was worried that there were only four occupied tables, but by 8 pm, the place was buzzing. We ordered a nice French rose with appetizers. Our entrees were hake and a shrimp-pasta dish. My hake, served on a bed of red beans, was perfectly done, flaky, hot, and with a crispy crust. My wife's pasta dish was so spicy that she could only eat a few bites. So she ate the rest of my dish and i finished off hers with plenty of water. That was a dish only the heartiest of patrons could eat. Temper the heat, and it would have been much more enjoyable. Still, a good eating experience at one of our favorites in the South End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent nightHatebadfoodDined on 8/3/2014My boyfriend and I randomly picked this restaurant off of open table and had a wonderful night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentluv3dinerDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant for our second date and it was great. Service was excellent. Wine selection was amazing. And the food blew my mind. The review don't do this place justice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 640 reviews are from the Metropolis Cafe reviews archive.
- Cozy and consistentXavierVIPDined on 7/26/2014Second time at metropolis since 2013 and it delivered again: consistently good food, though this time less memorable than last, but great service made up for it. The place is cozy so don't plan to entertain more than 4 guests at a time and no cocktails available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropolis shines again!MuzzieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We dine at Metropolis Cafe three or four times a month. It never disappoints! The food is always delicious, the staff is attentive and pleasant and the setting is just right. It truly is a neighborhood gem. Metropolis is a go-to spot that always gets it right. I have never left there with even one thing to complain about.Special Features:
- Love the foodLN2241VIPDined on 7/23/2014Service could have been much better. It's a small place and we had a hard time flagging the waiter down to get the bill at the end of the night. I definitely suggest getting whatever they have that's seasonal/on special. Always my favorite choice.Special Features:
- Cozy, but comfortable and deliciousRickyVIPDined on 7/23/2014Went for an anniversary dinner. The appetizers all looked very interesting, but ended up going with the salad. My wife and I tried the salmon and the hake, both of which were cooked to the perfect temperature and texture. Overall taste was good, but not out of this world, so high marks, but not the best. Great ambience, and a cozy atmosphere if you're looking for a date place. Brunch menu looked awesome. My only complaint is that the seat on the left side of the restaurant right next to the window is located on top of some kind of heat source, and on one of the hottest days... it made for an uncomfortable, inadvertent hot seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each dish was a delightOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014First time at Metropolis, but it won't be the last. We enjoyed everything we ordered.Special Features:
- MetropolisSadamsDined on 7/19/2014We liked Metropolis very much. The mussels were great. The salmon was too salty but the cauliflower gratin was outstanding. Ambiance is good- our table sat six and was fine. Wish they had a liquor license. Overall I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded Expectations!ScottDined on 7/17/2014I had wanted to go to Metropolis for awhile and finally made it for dinner last week. The food exceeded my expectations. Everything we had was delicious from the asparagus appetizer to the hake to the risotto. The place was a lot smaller than we thought so the tables were very close to each other, but they did the best they could with the space they had. I would definitely recommend checking Metropolis out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fabulous meal hereRichSDined on 6/21/2014Another fabulous meal at Metropolis Cafe. Special was a risotto with smoked mozzarella melted into it with seared scallops and dollops of pesto. Wasn't sure the pesto was going to work, but it was an amazing combo. Server was attentive and provided great advice on wine pairings. So many choices in the South End, but after several visits here, this is rising toward the top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- notafoodieDined on 6/20/2014The food was good but not excellent. The vegetable sides were more flavorful and interesting than were the entrees. The horseradish crusted salmon should have had some zip but didn't. For something with horseradish on it, it was quite bland. The dessert (warm banana pudding) was not as good as I could make at home.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Had a great dinner. Great food and service. Arrived, with reservation, at 5:30 p.m. (opening) and three of us had an excellent, leisurely, dinner and were finished in plenty of time to get to a 7:30 show at the Calderwood Theatre down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014The fluke crudo was very disappointing. Minimal flavor and poor presentation; it was out of character for this restaurant.
- a gemadamVIPDined on 6/13/2014This place continues to be top notch and is a neighborhood gem. EXCELLENT quality food and a special experienceSpecial Features:
- well and thoughtfully prepared foodhamboneDined on 6/7/2014Best steamed mussels I've had in a long time… Chicken was very tasty…. everyone in our party seemed to enjoy their dishesSpecial Features: