Metropole at 21c Hotel
609 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Metropole at 21c Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.metropoleonwalnut.com/
- Phone: 5135786660
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am – 2pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Paley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Julie Fowler 5135786612
A word from Metropole at 21c Hotel
Metropole restaurant offers a contemporary take on old world fireplace cooking techniques. Led by executive chef Michael Paley, the menu focuses on dishes cooked in a custom-built hearth. A showcase for the region’s sustainable farmers and producers, Metropole’s well-edited and ever changing menu features hearth roasted meats, fish and vegetables; grains; and housemade charcuterie. The beverage menu offers craft beer and cocktails, bourbon and a smart selection of old and new world wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Metropole at 21c Hotel - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Metropole at 21c Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
192 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (130)special occasion (113)hot spot (66)notable wine list (55)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (42)vibrant bar scene (40)good for groups (35)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (14)late-night find (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We loved everything we had for dinner at metropole. Chilled corn soup, seared octopus, potato gnocchi, and pork shank. I couldn't say what the best item was, as they were all so delicious. The desserts are really something too - a bit savory and original. The chefs have an excellent knack for balancing flavors and using unique ingredients to create excellent dishes. Wine list was at the pricier end, but it was on par with the food prices. The glassware is nice, the service is nice and the tables aren't to squished together to feel like you can have a private dining experience. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ending to Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Atmosphere a mix of old and contemporary. Different and interesting wine list. Food was wonderful! The charred corn soup and hazelnut semifreddo a particular hit. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid on every levelseenitallVIPDined on 8/16/2014Good food, great service and an interesting atmosphere. This is a well thought out enterprise.Special Features:
- Exceptional food, drink and serviceMAnneMDined on 8/15/2014Metropole is an experience worth savoring. All the food is amazingly flavorful and sophisticated. Even the butter for the pre-meal bread is extraordinary. Their special cocktails, many with house-made mixers, are irresistible. The staff is friendly, enthusiastic and well versed in what goes on in the kitchen. They are also totally tuned into the customers. At least eight different people stopped by our table during a 2-hour dinner to take orders, deliver dishes, clear dishes, or just ask how we liked everything. They managed to be totally solicitous without ever getting obtrustive. A wonderful place with one single flaw: like many new places, it has terrible acoustics. When the dining room is near full, it gets awfully noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocreFrankReviewerDined on 8/15/2014Not sure what happened here tonight. Just not very good.Special Features:
- Interesting menucincybirderVIPDined on 8/15/2014The menu for this place has always been way out there. I don't think I should have to spend alot of time researching what something is on the menu. Had the chilled corn soup w/o sausage, it was delicious. Had the potato gnocchi for my entree, it was okay, nothing spectacular. Had the cherry shortcake w/ cardamom ice cream - this surprised me how well it tasted, it was a home run.Special Features:
- 4newfriendsDined on 8/14/2014We loved the special attention by the wait staff and othersSpecial Features:
- Mostly very good foodJoeyDined on 8/11/2014Just not a venue for conversation and probably too hip (servers were dressed way too casually). Not a special occasion venue but food quality was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantdockmbDined on 8/11/2014Food was outstanding, service was excellent, & the servers worked very well together as a team to keep our glasses full and food coming out promptly. However, the dining room where we were seated was VERY noisy, and tables are really close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday blastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Party went from 3 to 5. No problem. Great staff. Highly recommend. Still do not understand yellow penguins, but so what.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch confusionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014I took 3 colleagues here for lunch, two of whom were visiting from Chicago. The food was outstanding and I look forward to returning. That said we ahd 3 different wait staff, ask if we wanted something to drink, two if we wanted dessert, and three if we wanted coffee. Even we were confused by the end of the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Again!RafeDined on 8/6/2014Another wonderful dinner. Brought my sister who lives in Chicago, and she couldn't believe Cincinnati had such a wonderful dining venue at such great prices. We had steak tartare, smoked olives, goat cheese, and pate. She loved the crispy onions, grainy mustard and truffle honey accompaniments. The ginger cookie with marscapone filling and meyer lemon was divine. Service is attentive without rushing you through your meal. Even complementary bottles of cold water from the valet on our way out :) We had fun browsing the gallery too. Great night!Special Features:
- LOVE this placeSweetAnnieDined on 8/5/2014We had the carrot salad, steak tartare, seared octopus, ny strip and Amish chicken, and all good was superb. Our waiter, Clinton, was charismatic and attentive without being over the top. Atmosphere was great. It was all great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great night out, food was incredible, service matched and the location/space was eclecticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Unfortunately at the present time i have no sense of taste or smell so I could not enjoy the food like I would have liked to. My husband however said everything he had was delicious. The service was incredible. Very friendly from the servers to the bus people. The servers were very helpful with the menu explaining everything so there were no questions. It was our 46th anniversary and appreciated the champagne on our arrival. It was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Good but not greatGrubDocDined on 7/26/2014While our overall dining experience was enjoyable, the food left a little to be desired. We started with the burned carrot salad which was great, definitely the best item on the menu. Also had the beef tartare which was enjoyable. This set the bar high, but our entrees (NY strip, and pork chop) were okay. Nothing overtly bad, just a little overseasoned on the pork, and a little less flavor on the strip. The wine pours are very substantial, the service impeccable, and the environment great. Worth a try anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonnie was fantastic!!arcmanDined on 7/26/2014Bonnie was our server and made this dinner extra special. The food was fantastic and the service top notch. I wish there was a Metropole in Columbus!!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedCintifoodie3Dined on 7/25/2014We had a lunch reservation and only one other table was occupied when we arrived, yet were seated at an awkward table by the wine cooler. I thought maybe this would afford us better service, but no less than 8 tables seated after us were served their food before us. We couldn't tell who was actually waiting on us, so it was difficult to know who to summon. This was a birthday luncheon with my adult children from out of town and I had hoped for a better experience. The burnt carrot salad & the crab fritters were excellent, but the recommended avocado toast was a disappointment. Glad for the experience once, but would probably book elsewhere in the future. Just FYI you've got typos on your website, i.e. it's bon appetit, not appetite.
- Tastes as good as it smelledOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014Food was excellent (had breakfast and dinner) and the burning wood smell, along with the art, adds significant charm and ambienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very detailed, very exquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014This is a fantastic restaurant. It might be a bit much for Cincinnati, but since it has gone for over a year now perhaps it is here to stay. Metropole is on the expensive side, so plan on this being a very special occasion and not just a spur of the moment decision. The waitstaff is very knowledgeable. It felt very much the way fine dining should without being too pretentious. Overall, it is 5 stars in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go back....,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/20/2014If we do not have the same server She was a on the verge of rude and not at all attentive Felt at times we were eating at the medieval mansion where the servers are abusive to the patrons. Do not know her name she did not tell us. The food was wonderful and different If we go back and had a different server who acted the same as the one we had we would never go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique & specialRandyDined on 7/19/2014Fun atmosphere, friendly servers, unique grilled and smoked food. We will return.Special Features:
- Loved the TartareXXXXVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great Meal! I started with the Mexican Negroni and it tasted just like a Negroni, no different. My dinner companion ordered from the selection of three snacks and I ordered the tartare for first course. We both agree my dish was the winner. Do not pass up the tartare. It is a must. I had the New York Strip for my entree and it was excellent. I do not recall the second entree so it apparently was not as good. We ordered the Dunn Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon for dinner. Paired well with our food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/8/2014Outstanding food and comfortable surroundings. Nice wine list with variety in all varietals and regions. A bit pricey for Ohio but a good investment for a special night out on the town.Special Features:
- New York pricing in CincinnatiLoboInOhioVIPDined on 7/2/2014Creative menu, innovative space, attentive service puts you in a great frame of mind, then sticker shock when the bill comes.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it!Musix40Dined on 6/29/2014Although it was terribly cold in the restaurant - the AC was set to arctic - the food was top notch - one if the best meals I had in a long time. My steak was perfect and the smoked chicken was out of sight! Appetizers were unique and tasty. Get the AC fixed and you will be all set.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish diningtboneDined on 6/28/2014Every bite of food was interesting and deliciously prepared. Service on a Saturday night was efficient, friendly and fun. Out of town guests at the table loved it.....and they were from San Francisco!Special Features:
- Nice first time visitNeufDined on 6/28/2014We visited for the first time and the food and drinks were good, the burger in particular. The bar scene was cool, especially the top floor, and there were plenty of places to grab a drink. Kind of noisy though...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCincidaddiDined on 6/28/2014I had been hearing great things about Metropole and finally had a chance to try it out before heading to a concert. I had the Amish chicken which was very tasty. Servers were really nice and attentive. Great spot and keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoky foodFoodyforlifeDined on 6/27/2014Be prepared for smoked everything: butter, fruit, veggies, meat. Restaurant is gorgeous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple food PACKED with flavorBriBeeDined on 6/24/2014Enjoyed everything we ordered! We were in AWWWHH! With the flavor that every bite had! It was so delicious. We would recommend and go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EclecticonceaknightDined on 6/22/2014Started off by ordering something that I saw on the internet menu - they have been out of it for two weeks. Order a vodka on ice and got a martini...specifically ordered vodka. Noticed that most of their specialties were burnt - burnt carrot salad, burnt beet salad, vegetable plate, etc. They were not totally burnt but at least 1 side was scorched. Food was good, the atmosphere pleasant, the clothes of the wait staff reminded me of some college students that just came in off the street. Talking to others they apparently change their menu often. "Did you try...not on the menu!" Nice visit but I think I got off on the wrong foot with ordering the food no longer available and complaining about the drink being wrong.
- love this spotstephDined on 6/21/2014Dinner was amazing, from the atmosphere to the undoubtedly talented chefs, to our fantastic server, and busboy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a showcornmuseDined on 6/21/2014Metropole offers a great option for dinner before a show at the Aranoff. The menu is eclectic, the service attentive and the experience is definitely top notch. The smoked grapes alone are a little mind-blowing.... Challenge your palette!Special Features:
- Take a sweaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Could not find seating where I was not being blown by cold air. Freezing ... which affected the enjoyment of the evening.Special Features:
- KathyDined on 6/17/2014Even though the menu is limited, the choices are always interesting, creative and tasty. Food offerings often require explanation and the servers are very in tune with the menu choices and explain nicely.Special Features:
- Metropole @ 21Ca4dpilotDined on 6/16/2014Outstanding service, Ambience. Museum hotel. You must see the 4 floor collection of modern art and sculpture! Eclectic menu outstandingly presented and very good. Had out of town, first timers with us and they were knocked out. On the expensive side. Plan on at least $50 per, more with expensive wine.Special Features:
- Ok breakfastChicagoILVisitorDined on 6/15/2014We visited for Father's Day breakfast. The meal was fine but nothing special. I believe the waitress was new because she didn't know the menu and couldn't answer our questions. The sausage was too sweet, the bloody mary and mimosa were good, and the english muffin was made from scratch.
- ivydadDined on 6/14/2014The menu selection was very limited. One of the dishes we ordered (porgy fish) was inedible. It was full of small bones and not appealing or tasty. The wine selection was above average but the prices were tripled, which is unusual for this market. Unlikely to go back.
- DisappointedShirlDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time dining at the 21C Hotel. The first time we LOVED it! This time it was bad. We ordered drinks and they were very small. My husband had Lillet. He asked for it over ice. It came in a high ball glass, no ice, the amount was so little that it covered the bottom of the glass and that's about it. He sent it back and asked for a double! I had a Rob Roy. Our appetizers came and then we waited at least 30 minutes for the main course. The waiter kept coming to the people next to us apologizing for the slow service. No one came to us. My husbands dinner was fine. Mine was disappointing. The items on the menu are either too large or minute.Special Features: