Metropole at 21c Hotel
609 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Metropole at 21c Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.metropoleonwalnut.com/
- Phone: 5135786660
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am – 2pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Michael Paley
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Julie Fowler 5135786612
A word from Metropole at 21c Hotel
Metropole restaurant offers a contemporary take on old world fireplace cooking techniques. Led by executive chef Michael Paley, the menu focuses on dishes cooked in a custom-built hearth. A showcase for the region’s sustainable farmers and producers, Metropole’s well-edited and ever changing menu features hearth roasted meats, fish and vegetables; grains; and housemade charcuterie. The beverage menu offers craft beer and cocktails, bourbon and a smart selection of old and new world wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Metropole at 21c Hotel - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Metropole at 21c Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
187 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)special occasion (110)hot spot (68)notable wine list (55)romantic (50)neighborhood gem (41)vibrant bar scene (38)good for groups (34)great for lunch (16)late-night find (13)scenic view (12)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Delicious and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014Metropole is a very fun place to visit and eat. The food was outstanding and the service was also very good. The valet parking was especially nice since it was a bit of a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impress out-of-town hipstersandrewcashmereDined on 9/26/2014Our friends from Brooklyn were in town to visit. One of them writes for a food blog, so we wanted to take them someplace impressive. Polly Campbell from the Cincinnati Enquirer recommended (via Twitter) we take them to Metropole. Great choice. They both had lots of questions about the menu and our service answered all of them to their satisfaction. Everyone loved their meal. We shared Cauliflower Beignets, which were great, but we all wished we had something to dip them in. I had the Potato Gnocchi, which was awesome. Overall great meal. Our Brooklyn hipster friends were impressed.Special Features:
- Outstanding!EdgarDined on 9/26/2014Our third or fourth time at Metropole, outstanding in every way! We come here about twice a year, worth the hour and a quarter drive, staying overnight at the 21C, and sightseeing in Cincy the next day before returning home. We're NOT going to break THIS habit!Special Features:
- Didn't disappoint!HargirlDined on 9/25/2014Returned to the Metropole for another lovely meal. This was before the theater and we informed the server of that situation and he attended to us accordingly. The menu is quite varied, but, their are a limited number of entrees and all items are ala carte.. We just had burgers on this visit and they were done as requested and the handcut fries were delicious. I wouldn't consider this an everyday dining location but it is worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealtylerrwohDined on 9/24/2014Eaten here a number of times when I've been back in town. It's always a treat, especially good for client dinners. Love the decor, drink selection, and especially the food. Have yet to have less than a great meal here. Try the burnt carrot salad, you will never look at carrots the same.Special Features:
- Such a gem!FoodieFanDined on 9/24/2014First visit to Metropol and assuredly not my last! The food was beautifully presented and made with the freshest ingredients. The chicken was the most tender, moist chicken I've ever had, bar none. Every thing was flavorful with masterful seasoning. The service was perfect: attentive, professional, yet friendly. Server was very knowledgeable about the dishes and asked if we would be attending the Aronoff before we even thought to mention it so we were remeasured that he was aware of our timeline.Special Features:
- special in CincinnatibermudaschwartzDined on 9/22/2014I like to take out of town guests here/a beautifully renovated space, stimulating art and quite good food.Special Features:
- The Fork & Bottle series is amazingmmascolinoVIPDined on 9/20/2014Where else can you get 4 courses paired with 4 drinks for $55. Not only is it great food, lots of attention to detail was put into the creation of each course which makes it not only delicious but also special.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerMullsVIPDined on 9/20/2014Food and service were outstanding but seating arrangement was totally unacceptable. There were two of us and there was only 6 inched between the tables on each side of us, also with two people. I would expect seating like this if I was going to a crab shack in Florida or the Carolinas' where they seat everyone on what is basically a 20 foot long picnic table but not a 4 or 5 star restaurant. I took my wife there for her birthday and the people next to us were on their anniversary. None of us were happy and would not go there with a party of 2 again. They actually had to pull the table out so that anyone sitting against the wall could get to their seat. Would return only if we had a party of 4 or more because those tables were not as cSpecial Features:
- Limited MenufoodieDined on 9/20/2014The menu is quite small with only 5 entree's. You would then expect everything to knock you socks off, but the preparations were just average. Great atmosphere though noisy. Fabulous service.Special Features:
- Excellent Breakfast!!aJeepThingDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I were staying downtown for a wedding and enjoying Oktoberfest. I've always lamented that there's not a lot of breakfast options downtown on the weekends when we found this listing. What a pleasant surprise! The food was wonderful and I was even able to enjoy some hometown Goetta. The service was very professional and welcoming with the waiter even asking my brewing preference for my coffee. ... which was one of the best cups of coffee I've had in a long time. The aroma left from dinners cooked over their hearth was wonderful and my wife an I are hoping to go back on our next visit and enjoy the evening fare. If breakfast was this good, I can only imagine how good dinner will be!Special Features:
- Pricey, But AverageScottDined on 9/19/2014The ambience is unusual -interesting art everywhere and in a great location. We were bombarded with paper menus (five for each of us - food, special pairings, wine, cocktails, and special bourbons). The food was delicious, but far over priced. ($100+ for two people, with no drinks). Would have been okay for a special occasion, but we were also interrupted by the staff over two dozen times because they were so unsure of their food prep. The waiter would ask if each course tasted okay, the server would repeatedly ask if we needed anything, and the chef came out twice to ask if the preparation was okay. It was a lot of trepidation from a restaurant that was bold enough to charge 8$ for 4oz of fried cauliflower.Special Features:
- Best of BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014This is one of the best, perhaps the best, dining experiences that we have shared in Cincinnati in recent times. The food and drink were eloquently and creatively prepared and presented, and the ambiance unique in our city. Bravo to the chef, bartender, and server.Special Features:
- TradVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food here is always very good, the service not so much. Tonight in a very full restaurant before a show at the Aronoff there was only one server and a bunch of God runners. Took 15 minutes after being seated to have our order taken for either drinks or food.Special Features:
- Culinary Delightluv2eatDined on 9/12/2014From beginning to end, this was a delightful culinary experience. My wife and I are picky when it comes to truly fine cuisine (all that glitters aint gold). From the bread all the way to the blackberry shortcake with lime juniper ice cream, each course was a home run. Why I chose the basted cheeseburger I have no idea (quirky mood I guess plus the apple butter), but it was without doubt the best I have ever had and I did not eat the fries. We shared the charred yellow squash appetizer which unique and made you want more. My wife had the swordfish (her favorite fish selection) and it was the tastiest she ever had. This was the second time we had been to the Metropole and this visit exceeded the first significantly in overall satisfactionSpecial Features:
- Total EntertainmentManAboutTownVIPDined on 9/5/2014The artwork grabs you as you enter. You are in a gallery. But then we arrived early so we could enjoy this art and then pop up to the roof bar for the view. Great on a clear day. Then back dow for a scrumptious meal. Best gnocchi we ever tasted and the Drum and Octopus was a treat. Drink prices are steep though. $20 for call bourbon is a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!SWRWDined on 9/1/2014I enjoyed a lovely evening dining with my husband and friends at Metropole at 21c. The service was stellar, as was the food. A wonderful experience. We will certainly return on our next trip to Cincinnati.Special Features:
- Lots of funlookingforgoodeatsDined on 9/1/2014We went to Metropole for an adult birthday dinner and had a great time. The food was very good and the service was attentive without being overbearing. The art work is eclectic and worth taking some time to look at. Don't miss playing with the interactive floor on the way to the restrooms! We shared an appetizer of goat cheese, country pate and hard salami. It was all very tasty, but the portions were small for a table of five. Fortunately, my son ordered beef tartare (which he said was very good) as well, so everyone was satisfied. I'm told the gnocchi was delicious, my boyfriend loved the burger and my veal chop was huge, moist and tender as butter - delish! Reasonably priced, I think - about $40 per person before tip. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodYodmanDined on 8/30/2014Awesome food again. The burnt carrot salad is the wife's favorite. Jeremy knew all of the dishes and recommended a cocktail that was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good but not outstandingajewelDined on 8/30/2014the corn soup and the bread were outstanding; the burnt carots and kale salid were good. The amberjack was forgetable as were the peppers, but the summer squash was very good. A remarkable wine list, our Merry Edwards sauvignon blanc was excellent, worth the $90 price. Can't remember dessert, which tells you something. All in all, I'm glad we went, but I don't think we'll go back. Also very noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent drinks and great serviceiheartwordsDined on 8/30/2014The food was good, but the drinks (and pairing offerings) elevated this to a great experience. Service was attentive and timelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Absolutely amazing food. Definitely one of the top restaurants in Cincy.Special Features:
- Grrreat!dissappointedVIPDined on 8/29/2014Everything was great! That includes the art work to enjoy before or after dinner. We were treated to champagne for our anniversary too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014A special anniversary celebration was ruined due to inability to accommodate special food preparation requests and long delay between salad and entrée. We were unable to order what we wanted from a very limited menu and ended up having to choose from just two selections, neither of which we wanted. The food that we were served was just fair, and neither of us finished much of our meals. The noise level was extremely high. We couldn't wait to get out of the place.
- Very Disappointed!BlazerDined on 8/23/2014First off it is like sitting in a Chipotle restaurant! Like sitting there with a bucket over your head! Echos and you can hear people talking from across the room. If I were in charge of the kitchen, I would have been embarrassed to have sent a "Summer Salad" to a patron, especially at the price of $10.00. The portion was so small it was pathetic. The "Amberjack" entree was a nice portion and very tasty and mentioned potatoes. When one can count the slices of potatoes that too is pathetic. There were only three (3) slices on each person's plate and those were at best, maybe the size of half a dollar and probably less than 1/4" thick.
- Great restaurantHowardCincyDined on 8/22/2014I had a grilled amberjack and the wife had a kale salad. Both were excellent. The quality of the ingredients, the presentation, and the taste were all excellent. We will definitely go again. We each at a glass of cava (Spanish wine) to go with the meal. The appetizers were very good as well and quite well priced. You could pick 3 for $16. There's a great 7 hour egg (an egg cooked Sous Vide) in the appetizer that's a must try. The only possible negative (or positive for some) is that the menu will change as the chef updates or tinkers with the items. If you have an absolute favorite, it may not be there the next time you visit. It's great for always trying new things though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodfoodloreDined on 8/17/2014We loved everything we had for dinner at metropole. Chilled corn soup, seared octopus, potato gnocchi, and pork shank. I couldn't say what the best item was, as they were all so delicious. The desserts are really something too - a bit savory and original. The chefs have an excellent knack for balancing flavors and using unique ingredients to create excellent dishes. Wine list was at the pricier end, but it was on par with the food prices. The glassware is nice, the service is nice and the tables aren't to squished together to feel like you can have a private dining experience. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect ending to Restaurant WeekSueWDined on 8/17/2014Atmosphere a mix of old and contemporary. Different and interesting wine list. Food was wonderful! The charred corn soup and hazelnut semifreddo a particular hit. Will return again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid on every levelseenitallVIPDined on 8/16/2014Good food, great service and an interesting atmosphere. This is a well thought out enterprise.Special Features:
- Exceptional food, drink and serviceMAnneMDined on 8/15/2014Metropole is an experience worth savoring. All the food is amazingly flavorful and sophisticated. Even the butter for the pre-meal bread is extraordinary. Their special cocktails, many with house-made mixers, are irresistible. The staff is friendly, enthusiastic and well versed in what goes on in the kitchen. They are also totally tuned into the customers. At least eight different people stopped by our table during a 2-hour dinner to take orders, deliver dishes, clear dishes, or just ask how we liked everything. They managed to be totally solicitous without ever getting obtrustive. A wonderful place with one single flaw: like many new places, it has terrible acoustics. When the dining room is near full, it gets awfully noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very mediocreFrankReviewerDined on 8/15/2014Not sure what happened here tonight. Just not very good.Special Features:
- Interesting menucincybirderVIPDined on 8/15/2014The menu for this place has always been way out there. I don't think I should have to spend alot of time researching what something is on the menu. Had the chilled corn soup w/o sausage, it was delicious. Had the potato gnocchi for my entree, it was okay, nothing spectacular. Had the cherry shortcake w/ cardamom ice cream - this surprised me how well it tasted, it was a home run.Special Features:
- 4newfriendsDined on 8/14/2014We loved the special attention by the wait staff and othersSpecial Features:
- Mostly very good foodJoeyDined on 8/11/2014Just not a venue for conversation and probably too hip (servers were dressed way too casually). Not a special occasion venue but food quality was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantdockmbDined on 8/11/2014Food was outstanding, service was excellent, & the servers worked very well together as a team to keep our glasses full and food coming out promptly. However, the dining room where we were seated was VERY noisy, and tables are really close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday blastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Party went from 3 to 5. No problem. Great staff. Highly recommend. Still do not understand yellow penguins, but so what.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch confusionOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2014I took 3 colleagues here for lunch, two of whom were visiting from Chicago. The food was outstanding and I look forward to returning. That said we ahd 3 different wait staff, ask if we wanted something to drink, two if we wanted dessert, and three if we wanted coffee. Even we were confused by the end of the mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Again!RafeDined on 8/6/2014Another wonderful dinner. Brought my sister who lives in Chicago, and she couldn't believe Cincinnati had such a wonderful dining venue at such great prices. We had steak tartare, smoked olives, goat cheese, and pate. She loved the crispy onions, grainy mustard and truffle honey accompaniments. The ginger cookie with marscapone filling and meyer lemon was divine. Service is attentive without rushing you through your meal. Even complementary bottles of cold water from the valet on our way out :) We had fun browsing the gallery too. Great night!Special Features:
- LOVE this placeSweetAnnieDined on 8/5/2014We had the carrot salad, steak tartare, seared octopus, ny strip and Amish chicken, and all good was superb. Our waiter, Clinton, was charismatic and attentive without being over the top. Atmosphere was great. It was all great. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014Great night out, food was incredible, service matched and the location/space was eclecticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.