Metropole at 21c Hotel
609 Walnut Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Metropole at 21c Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.metropoleonwalnut.com/
- Phone: (513) 578-6660
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 10:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30am – 2pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Jared Bennett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Julie Fowler 5135786612x
A word from Metropole at 21c Hotel
Metropole restaurant offers a contemporary take on old world fireplace cooking techniques. Led by executive chef Jared Bennett, the menu focuses on dishes cooked in a custom-built hearth. A showcase for the region’s sustainable farmers and producers, Metropole’s well-edited and ever changing menu features hearth roasted meats, fish and vegetables; grains; and housemade charcuterie. The beverage menu offers craft beer and cocktails, bourbon and a smart selection of old and new world wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Metropole at 21c Hotel - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Metropole at 21c Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (157)special occasion (117)hot spot (92)notable wine list (62)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (51)vibrant bar scene (47)good for groups (40)great for lunch (23)late-night find (16)scenic view (13)great for brunch (13)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always a great experience diningtylerrwohDined on 11/24/2014Metropole is always a welcome and necessary stop when visiting the Queen City. The delicious rotating menu, fun atmosphere, great drinks, and excellent service, all contribute to a great visit. Love the modern art. Love the penguins. The carrot salad is a must, and just recently had the grits which were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second visit to metropole- this time was better!MaggieDined on 11/22/2014this place is amazing and underrated in my opinion being down the street from boca and sotto. the wait staff is so kind and the menu is continually changing. walking into the restaurant you can smell the wood fire and you know that the food will not disappoint. all of our fellow diners were taking pictures with the yellow penguins and remarking over the food, ambiance, and of course signature drinks! check this place out. spend the night upstairs. make a real weekend adventure out of it--- you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food, pretentious serviceKateandAdamDined on 11/21/2014Although the food and ambiance at Metropole were very nice, the service left a bad taste in our mouths. My friend and I went in before a show, very much looking forward to the experience. We told our waiter that we needed to be out by a certain time (with a little under 2 hours left for the meal, we thought it would be plenty of time). But the whole time, she made us feel as though we should have been ordering something else. Oh, just ice water ("not sparkling?") No starter? ("Our kitchen is very proud of its in-house charcuterie plates") and then when we asked how the cheeseburgers were (after she went on a very hard sell for pork shank) "Well, those are really more for lunch, or ordering at our bar. And they are very heavy." What?! there are only like 6 things on the dinner entree menu, and you just told us one wasn't appropriate for dinner? So we decided to split a cheeseburger and another entree and told her we'd like to have dessert. And we LOVED the food. That cheeseburger was awesome, and so were the fries that went with it, and although we thought the other entree was delicious, we would have been just as happy with two cheeseburgers! And then we never saw her again until it was time to leave. I flagged down another server for cappuccino (also DELICIOUS, and the second server was great, by the way) and we weren't even close to having time for the dessert we expressed interest in--didn't even get to see a dessert menu. darn. There are just so many fabulous and friendly places to eat in Cincinnati now, I can't say I'll be back to Metropole to try the desserts...Special Features:
- Not Your Standard MenuLoves2EatDined on 11/20/2014Burnt Carrot Salad?? Did not sound too appetizing, but was delicious! Had this along with the roasted chicken which was good, but would have liked to have a little larger portions. The visiting yellow penguins and cotton candy dessert make it a unique experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Metropole at the 21cOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Dinner here is a treat, but the hidden gem is breakfast. Try the 21c breakfast with eggs, potatoes, toast, roasted tomato and a Cincinnati speciality Goetta. Staff is always friendly and the food is consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to dineNSO6Dined on 11/15/2014We enjoyed a great dinner before heading to a play across the street. The food arrived in a timely fashion and the food was wonderful. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for a special dinner experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TablefanVIPDined on 11/15/2014I do not have a review to enter. This should not be a mandatory field.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014great location, wait staff very attentive to our showtime across the streetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/13/2014Made reservations for dinner before going to the Aronoff. This place reminded me of a NYC restaurant. Hip and trendy menu, servers in the dinning room are casual but sharp and attentive. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner experience. We will be back for dinner. Now on the needs improvement side...the bar servers were terrible. We sat down for a pre dinner drink and we were ignored...I had to ask them for a drink menu. Once we got our drink no one checked on us or tonask if we wanted another drink. They were more worried about stocking their bar, cleaning glasses etc. Very disappointing start to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findTom1Dined on 11/12/2014Needed a place to host coworkers from out of town. Lot of places were full so took a chance having never eaten here. Pleasantly surprised! Will definitely return for a non work occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty Good but NoisyartsenthusiastVIPDined on 11/11/2014Metropole at 21C was OK. Service was excellent except a little slow. The noise level is extremely high - has gone up since the last time I was there. We sat for about 10 minutes waiting for someone to take our drink order. Food was brought promptly, and the Verlassa salmon was especially good - also the steak tartare except that it looked like salsa. Dessert were disappointing - different but not that tasty.Special Features:
- Very goodcravemanDined on 11/11/2014The charred olives and the wagu tartare were standoutsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK this timesebuckVIPDined on 11/11/2014Brought a colleague to lunch and I had the burger. For $15, it better be amazing, but it wasn't. I ordered without bacon and it came with it. The fries were overdone to the point of not being able to eat about 1/3 of them. The burger was fine, nice, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine Pairing ExcellentxxxxxxxxxxDined on 11/9/2014The Metropole does occasional special food and wine pairings. The evenings theme revolved around wines from France. The pairings were fantastic. Each dish went so well with the wine. The Onion soup may have been the best Onion soup I ever had. What made this even more wonderful was the price. 55 dollars for 4 great wines (generous pours), Two starters a main course and dessert was a steal - at many places the 4 glasses of wine would have been close to 55 dollars. Service was also excellent. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Was very underwhelmed by the food.JC2014Dined on 11/9/2014Was very underwhelmed by the food. Would probably not return.
- Great SurpriseFoodiesCoupleDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I celebrated our 23 Anniversary at Metropole. The Staff was awesome and very accommodating. Clinton was our waiter and had great recommendations. Everything from the bread to the desert was top quality. For starters we had the Ricotta, a 7 Hour Egg, Thin Sliced PorkLoin, cheddar and Humboldt Fog Cheeses. All were top quality. For dinner we had a Burnt Carrot Salad and the 1/2 chicken, we split & it was plenty of food. The salad was a great balance of flavors and the chicken may have been the best that I have had at a restaurant. Cranberry Tart and a good espresso for desert topped off the evening. One Caveat - it is noisy and happening, so if you are looking for quiet and romantic this may not be your place.Special Features:
- foodiedisappointedDined on 11/8/2014For the price and the reputation the service was poor and the food was just okay. Our server did not stop by throughout our meal to check how we were. Her knowledge of food and wine pairings was sub par. The location was the only plus.
- Nice dining experienceCincyNUParentVIPDined on 11/8/2014We ate at Metropole on a Saturday night. Service was excellent - our waiter recommended wines by the glass that paired well with the food we chose, and the meal was well paced, not rushed or sluggish. Nice atmosphere, but closeness of 2-top tables along the wall made it feel a bit like a communal table. I had a roasted chicken dish and pear and arugula salad which were both excellent. My husband's salmon was ok but not spectacular. He also had an onion soup that he raved about. To be noted, sides listed with entrees (beets with salmon and carrots with chicken) were more like a garnish. We shared a cranberry tart for dessert which had a delicious shortbread crust. Overall, a nice meal in a pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always one of the best in CincinnatiLauraVIPDined on 11/1/2014Metropole at 21c never fails to impress. The service is always spot on and the food has never disappointed any of my dining companions. The cocktail list is well thought out and perfectly crafted. This is one of my favorite restaurants to dine at in Cincinnati.Special Features:
- Yummy4meWineMe1Dined on 10/26/2014It was better than I remembered from the previous time several months ago. We all liked our food and I loved my pasta dish. Agnilotte, sp? It was delicate yet had good flavors. Not on the menu, but I hope it will be. I would order it again and again. My 2 companions liked their meals, I don't remember what they had. My starter was great too. Burnt Carrot Salad. Never tasted carrots that delicious! Wine was really nice. Service was excellent and Server knowledgeable & helpful. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Dreadful breakfast experienceThresholdmanDined on 10/26/2014We went to the metropole for our traditional pregame meal before the Bengals game. We sat at the bar. The menu was very limited , the food was mediocre, and the bar tender was not friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marie60Dined on 10/25/2014Everything was delicious. One in our party is vegetarian and the chef whipped up a delicious surprise for her. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Went for midweek lunch. Service was great. Food (salad) was good. Requested bread and was brought very hard toast. Toast was to hard. The entire salad menu could use a sourdough bread addition. Mentioned this to waitstaff. All in all a nice experience. Of course the 21c hotel is priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/22/2014I am very disappointed that I did not get any open table dining points for this reservation and dining experience. WE spent over $300 and I should have gotten open table dining points.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- downtownfoodieDined on 10/19/2014I've been to the Metropole a few times & am very impressed with the menu & food. I love the decor too. My only complaint the last time is that the service was a little slow, considering it was a Sunday evening, no crowd & we weren't drinking. Our waitress was delightful--just hard to find sometimes.Special Features:
- Exceptional!ShellDined on 10/18/2014Was our second visit to Metropole and were not disappointed. Went for my bday and took another couple with us that had never been there. We all got different dishes and shared. The two dishes that clearly stood out were the Burnt Carrot Salad (like a party in your mouth) and the Seared Octopus which was divine. All in all, the service, ambiance, and food were outstanding and will definitely be back. Thank you for a memorable birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Metropole = A+ ExperienceAndyJackDined on 10/17/2014The food matches the service - both were excellent! Thank you for the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousccurranVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful time with friends, great cocktails, food, wine, dessert and more cocktails !Special Features:
- Underwhelmed at MetropoleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Very indifferent, sporadic, disjointed service that didn't at all match the pretentious cuisine and ambiance.Special Features:
- 4th time, not a charmsfroDined on 10/12/2014While the atmosphere was pleasant as always, this brunch at metropole (my 4th) was not as impressive as the first 3. The bloody Marys were worse than those you make yourself on an airplane. No garnish. The polenta/grits was watery. The bagel with lox was completely deconstructed. And absolutely everything lacked seasoning. And the cappuccinos were lattes. I'm left wondering: what happened here? It was good before...
- Very EnjoyableGMCCDined on 10/10/2014Great service / Our first visit and will return as it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 10/9/2014wonderful experience=staff was friendly and attentive- food was delicious and serves very properly More choices for entrees would have been appreciatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe too much hype?PerfectDined on 10/9/2014Food was just ok. Ok flavor profiles. Ok combinations. A lot of our food seemed overcooked or just slightly incorrectly prepared. Expected more. Excellent service though and very friendly staff.
- Lunch at MetropoleAnnesvilleDined on 10/9/2014The folks at Metropole are used to serving a lunch crowd--getting you in and out quickly--but they certainly welcome long lunches and a sobremesa (the leisurely time after a meal). The dining room is beautiful and the kitchen features an open hearth. We shared the pretzel with grain mustard, burnt carrots (served cold to room temperature), and a cheeseburger "basted" with sharp cheddar, bacon, and frisee. I highly recommend each of these dishes and would have liked to eat everything on the menu if only humanly possible. Be prepared to sit up nice and tall if you are sitting on the banquette as the table may feel a bit high. Eat at Metropole!Special Features:
- metropole dinermetropoleguestDined on 10/3/2014My wife and I both had the cheeseburger on the menu, it was delicious. But very small menu to pick from.Special Features:
- My husband and I were celebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014our 25th wedding anniversary, which I put on the reservation and called and told the reservationist at the resturant. The resturant was only half full, it was a tuesday night at 6pm before the Aronoff show. We were seated between two other tables of couples while 4 other tables of 2 tops remained empty during our meal. I was actually seated closer to the women next to me than my husband across the table from me. There was no acknowledgement of our anniversary. The food was excellent and the service also. The hotel needs to sit their customers more appropriately and space them to allow conversation amoungst themselves according to how many reservations they have.
- Delicious and FunmattkiDined on 9/26/2014Metropole is a very fun place to visit and eat. The food was outstanding and the service was also very good. The valet parking was especially nice since it was a bit of a busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impress out-of-town hipstersandrewcashmereDined on 9/26/2014Our friends from Brooklyn were in town to visit. One of them writes for a food blog, so we wanted to take them someplace impressive. Polly Campbell from the Cincinnati Enquirer recommended (via Twitter) we take them to Metropole. Great choice. They both had lots of questions about the menu and our service answered all of them to their satisfaction. Everyone loved their meal. We shared Cauliflower Beignets, which were great, but we all wished we had something to dip them in. I had the Potato Gnocchi, which was awesome. Overall great meal. Our Brooklyn hipster friends were impressed.Special Features:
- Outstanding!EdgarDined on 9/26/2014Our third or fourth time at Metropole, outstanding in every way! We come here about twice a year, worth the hour and a quarter drive, staying overnight at the 21C, and sightseeing in Cincy the next day before returning home. We're NOT going to break THIS habit!Special Features:
- Fabulous!DineOutDined on 9/26/2014We had a fabulous time at Metropole! It was romantic and delicious! The server was very friendly and made sure we got to the theater on time. It was a great experience!Special Features: