380 Rte 206 South
Flanders, NJ 07836Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.metrogrillenj.com/
- Phone: 9088790051
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Schafer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer both on and off site catering options.
A word from Metro Grille
A welcome gem nestled in the valleys of the Flanders / Chester, New Jersey area. The Metro Grille specializes in International cuisine from Steak to Sushi. Our goal is to bring to you the essence of New York City style with our distinctive atmosphere and decor, whether in the warm ambiance of our dining room or relaxing on a sofa in our martini bar lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Metro Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
- It would have been nice butmac2013Dined on 9/25/2013It would have been nice but when we arrived at the restaurant the kitchen was being renovated so the restaurant was CLOSED
- they were going through areviewerDined on 9/16/2013they were going through a menu / ambience change that was completely disruptive - they were out of several menu items, several wines, didnt have any beers on tap, and the waitress was not very professional in terms of communicating these things.
- Nice placeBebeDined on 8/10/2013I really like this place. It has a good verity of food. I have only had the sushi, it's great. But my husband and friends had other dishes and enjoyed the food as well. Good portion sizes. Has nice drink menu as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad, but not worth the $.CaracallaDined on 8/2/2013Food wasn't bad, severs were really nice, bar area looked small but interesting. Food wasn't anything special, have had better for the money.
- Metro? More like "Let's Go...Home"GregDined on 7/13/2013My wife and I recently moved into the neighborhood and wanted to try out a local spot. We really wanted to find something close to home that we could frequent, unfortunately this was not it. We arrived to an empty hostess station, which was strange for a Saturday evening. After a few minutes, the manager/owner (who was sitting having a drink at the bar?) came to seat us. The waiter was pleasant, but clearly they were understaffed. No water was offered, bread came 30 minutes after sitting down, they ran out of 2 types of bottled beer, and the mango margarita was juice. After an hour and a half, our steak finally arrived. It was decent, but at that point we were ready to go. We've had better dining experiences on airplanes...
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2013We dine at the Metro Grille every few months and find the food and service to be inconsistent. On this visit we ordered the Thai mussels - a mistake. The mussels were tiny- this should not have been on the menu. We also ordered a house salad- almost too large a portion and very heavy on the dressing. However, the fish we ordered was excellent. The wait staff changes constantly- not sure what to make of this, but it is a bit strange.
- Just some notespaulwDined on 7/5/2013Not a bad spot. Asked for my Kobe Burger medium rare and it was somewhat beyond that. Service was friendly and attentive, but slow. Drinks were just fine. We shall return, but we'll skip Fridays & Saturdays - too crowded and the food suffers when restaurants are packed.. I'll also go for the sushi menu rather than burgers. That said, I believe we'll return on a quieter evening.Special Features:
- Enjoyable anniversary dinnerFoodie2014Dined on 5/25/2013Our dinner at Metro Grille was delicious. Our waiter was very good and the ambience was very nice (love the lighting there!). My only one small negative is how small and close the tables are along the side were we sat. But I suppose that does go with the 'NYC' feeling, doesn't it? I would definitely go back, perhaps during the week and have sushi at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Waitress PerhapsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2013I have dined here several times and the food and service are generally excellent. However, last Friday we had a few problems. The waitress was probably new, hopefully, and seemed a little lost. Drinks were slow in coming and the meal was extremely long in being served. We had no salt and pepper and adjacent diners offered theirs. She seemed to be very nervous I'm assuming she was new for the summer, hopefully she grows into the job or gets additional training, otherwise the evening would have been fine.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/7/2013There was nothing over the top or special about Metro Grille, it was just a nice restaurant. Our waiter was very nice and attentive. We went on a Tuesday evening and it was quite empty, which I prefer. Interesting note is that we were told that a new menu had just come out and that they didn't have some of the selections that were listed on the menu. Not a big deal but could've been annoying under different circumstances/tastes. I had to "settle" for the filet as opposed to the Kansas City Rib Eye. The filet was cooked properly and was delicious. The mashed potatoes might've been instant, I'm not sure. My date had sushi, which she enjoyed. They didn't have an extensive wine list, but we chose the Malbec, which was quite good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi is always very good,SizzleVIPDined on 3/29/2013The sushi is always very good, as are the menu items and specials. The cavatelli with mushrooms was awesome, and there was a special spinach salad which was excellent as well.
- Nice spot just outside Chester NJOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013This restaurant seems as though it has changed hands several times over the past few years- all for the better. The sushi here is excellent. We tried the Wild flavor sushi roll for the first time. Spicy tuna wrapped in rice covered with a sliver of yellow tail or salmon was a melt in your mouth experience. We enjoyed the pork tenderloin with hot peppers and broiled salmon. Portions are great for sharing, which we did with our daughter. Negative comments- they just don't seem to put enough dressing on the salad- barely taste it. Dessert was large- chocolate cake with peanut butter but the peanut butter was rather thick and cold bringing back memories of Sara Lee cakes brought out of the freezer. That aside, a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Food is very good. Metro GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013Food is very good. Metro Grille lives up to its name with a more modern and vibrant scene.We did not order wine and did not look at the selection so I cant rate it.Special Features:
- Sushi seems to be a focusryanleehDined on 3/8/2013Sushi seems to be a focus here...but I have had better sushi at a standard Japanese restaurant. other people in my party enjoyed their dinners. the service is always lacking. they are nice, but forget things and the waiters are generally more suited for an Applebees or TGI Friday's.Special Features:
- Our experience on a FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Our experience on a Friday was not very good.We arrived at 6:40,and sat down.We were not served until 8:20.When the food arrived,my wife"s meal was undercooked.Myself,and the the other people said the food was good.Special Features:
- We have been to the MetroOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/22/2013We have been to the Metro Grill several times in the last two years, and each time we have had a great time with good food, wine, and fun.Special Features:
- Food, service all awesome....veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Food, service all awesome....very friendly, cant wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Normally great and not thehrudVIPDined on 2/16/2013Normally great and not the fault of the restaurant but there was a very loud and annoying party there that made the dining experience not as good as it usually is. In fact one table of four moved away from them because they couldn't handle the noise.
- Great Martini list! ButternutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2013Great Martini list! Butternut Squash Raviolis were amazing!Special Features:
- The sushi is wonderful quality,SizzleVIPDined on 2/15/2013The sushi is wonderful quality, and the regular menu is varied and very good as well. There is a great martini list at reasonable prices. It's a comfortable setting and the wait staff is professional and pleasant.Special Features:
- I may try again, since it is localOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013Valentine's night dinner, so my assessment is with that in mind. Seating was in an odd location, but again, Valentine's night crowd so they were trying to pack them in where they could. Waiter was pleasant and friendly, but did not appear to be particulary experienced. Food was okay. Lobster mac/cheese with short rib was great. Strip steak was just okay. Cooked appropriately. I have been here before for cocktails. It is kind of a cool place, interesting NYC loung-like, with couch seating.
- Great menu, something forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/8/2013Great menu, something for everyone. Fantastic and creative sushi roll selection!! Probably the best sushi in the area!!Special Features:
- The surf and Turf was overpricesGoodDined on 1/5/2013The surf and Turf was overprices for what you were given. A strip steak with 2 shrimp and a crab cake the size of a half dollar,especially when the shrimp went cold buy the time it was received. Wait staff was good but food took a very long time. Soups were great as was the sushi and everything else, meat cooked perfectly to order. You apparently need to ask for bread if you want it because only 2 of the 7 seated tables we saw were given any. Love the atmosphere & decor.Special Features:
- Food was excellent... partySRhineVIPDined on 9/22/2012Food was excellent... party that was there was a bit loud so we found ourselves repeating a lot of our conversation over the table... tho not Metro's fault. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- It's always nice to see theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2012It's always nice to see the owner so hands on and so interested in making sure his customers are happy. Great martinis. The servers are very friendly. Even on a rainy evening it's a cozy romantic place to be.Special Features:
- Small dining room, tightlyBelieve333Dined on 8/17/2012Small dining room, tightly packed with tables. So, it made it Very noisy. Had to scream in order to talk. Menu mostly Asian sushi dishes. Had a great green fried tomatoe appetizer. Would be great if they expanded menu.
- Head and shoulders above mostOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2012Head and shoulders above most other restaurants in the Flanders/Roxbury areaSpecial Features:
- Food was very good. Haven'thrudVIPDined on 8/11/2012Food was very good. Haven't been there for a while but would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food was very good, serviceLVfoodieDined on 8/6/2012Food was very good, service was acceptable but a little slow. We went for a 50th birthday celebration and mentioned that in the reservation but felt like the restaurant hadn't even looked at our reservation in open table. We had hoped for at least a "Happy Birthday" when we arrived, but nothing.
- Hope this is saying somthing...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/21/2012Hope this is saying somthing... my Mom is 90 and she said she just ate the best burger she had ever had. Four of us started w/ Sushi Rolls... very nice start. We all had different menu selections... Fish Tacos w/ salad, Crabwich w/ hand cut fries, Kobe Burger w/ salad, Tuna w/ mashed potato and asparagus. Everyone loved their choice for dinner. Every talked about how nice and fresh the salads were, how much crab meat was in the crabwich, how the large pieces of fish were in the fish tacos, how the fries were not salty or over seasoned, how the tuna was cooked perfectly to medium, and oh yes... the best burger my Mom has ever had.Special Features:
- Upscale casual with great food!SarahtDined on 6/30/2012Everything was really good and our server was very professional and friendly. There was however a problem with the kitchen getting our entrees out. There was a really long time between the first and second course. We were haviing fun talking with each other but we all agreed after a while that this was an unusual amount of time. Our server did come around twice and apologize so we were glad that she noticed this. However, this is a fun place and offers something for everyone. The sushi is wonderful with lots of choices and the options for the non fish lovers is plentiful and delicious.Special Features:
- Some good, some bad....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2012Menu leans towards Asian side with lots of sushi although they do offer a smattering of other choices for the non-sushi lovers. Shared a greek appetizer special which was very nice (perfect for 2 or 3). The grilled swordfish was also very good. The special of the night, sauteed flounder & veggies, was swimming in oil. Waitress was extremely friendly but her service was sporadic. We waited over 20 minutes just to get our first drink order. Manager was more worried about one table of 10 and never bothered with anyone else. We didn't even order dessert since service was bad, just paid and left.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/28/2012seat by the front door -- not so good-- frankly ruined the evening. Asked for different table -- nothing. So much for making reservations, early time & making special request in advance. unfortunately -- overshadowed experience.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemkazfamilyDined on 4/28/2012I forget that this restaurant is in my own backyard. Went to dinner with a group of friends. Service was great, as was the food and we were not rushed in and out on a Saturday night!Special Features:
- Everyone in my party veryluv2eatgreatfoodDined on 4/27/2012Everyone in my party very much enjoyed the sushi and we all agreed the metro roll was the winner but everything we had was excellant. The mussels appetizer is absolutely delicious. For dinner I had the kobe burger, which was excellent and the french fries were awesome too. I had the mango martini which was very good. The service was the worst and it took 15 mins before anyone even greeted our table and the bad service continued throughout the meal. I would recommend this place for the food, drinks and the atmosphere but be prepared to wait.
- Birthday Sparkled at Metro!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2012Flexible about letting us move our seats. LOVED the waiter from the moment we arrived - he was warm, funny and so enjoyable. I'd go back again just for him! Attentive and engaged, he made our evening one to remember and the food was great. We did note that it would have behooved us to order two combo sushi/sashimi dinners for $42 rather than a "boat" for $60 as we were still somewhat hungry after two of us shared a boat. However, everything was delicious!Special Features:
- This place used to be veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/2/2012This place used to be very good. Now our last 2 experiences have been very poor. You are waiting for your first drinks long after you order them. Then it takes a long time to get your appetisers and the sushi appetiser comes 15 minutes after the hot appetisers. Then there is another long wait until the main meal. We like a relaxed serving time but the wait was much too long. In addition the tables are placed in such a way that the people sat with their backs to the walk way get their chairs constantly bumped - interestingly not so much by the customers but by the wait staff.Special Features:
- Metro grill is a great restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012Metro grill is a great restaurant. However, this one time that I brought a group of friends there, the service was poor. Our waitress was very mediocre. We had to wait for over an hour for our food and after I mentioned it they brought us over a bottle of champagne, which was very appreciative. The food is usually very good but this particular night, my salmon was burnt on the bottom to a crisp. All of the steaks that my friends had were cooked very well! Drinks are awesome! Manager is great at making sure that we were happy when we left and bought us a round of shots. I def would go back.Special Features:
- Although we had reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Although we had reservations we were seated in the awkward bar area, where the chairs felt like folding chairs. We waited 40 minutes for a server, despite requesting one twice. Brian jumped in when he saw us getting frustrated and took over. Had we been offered a drink early on, the wait would have been tolerable since it was a holiday. After two bottles of wine we received our food. Food tasted great as far as we could tell (after two bottles of wine). The ambiance was dull, but the dining room may have been nicer. Who knows.
- Great food...if they have it.Foodie2014Dined on 1/28/2012The food was very good (the Thai Salmon special was especially delicious!). My only negative (thus the 3 stars overall instead of 4) was that they were out of 3 items we wanted (a type of tuna for sushi, a bottle of wine and a flavor of gelato). Being out of one item is understandable, but being out of 3 items on the menu early (6:30 pm reservation) in the night is just not good management.Special Features: