MET Back Bay
279 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
MET Back Bay
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.metbackbay.com/
- Phone: 6172670451
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 9:00am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brady Duhame
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Dean Cogswell 6172670451
A word from MET Back Bay
Located in the heart of Boston's posh Back Bay neighborhood, MET Back Bay occupies an historic 1877 brick townhouse on the corner of Newbury & Dartmouth Streets. It has been meticulously renovated & is modern, elegant & comfortable while paying homage to the classic style & timeless beauty of the building & surrounding neighborhood. MET Back Bay's menu blends new American cooking with contemporary continental cuisine & embraces quintessential New England ingredients.There is an atmosphere of hip sophistication with an unparalleled food experience full of fresh ideas & historic perspective. MET Back Bay provides a complete & varied dining experience. If you're in the mood for a quick, casual bite at the bar or a long, festive & elegant dinner for family & friends or an intimate midnight snack in a romantic corner, you'll find the perfect spot at MET Back Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MET Back Bay reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (49)great for lunch (41)great for brunch (39)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (26)romantic (15)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (6)notable wine list (4)Show More
- The ideal mixSonoruscmgDined on 9/12/2014It's more upscale than your average neighborhood restaurant but more comfortable and inviting than your typical 'fancy' restaurant. The atmosphere on a Friday night feels alive but never over the top. The food is always delicious and the service is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, so-so serviceMGH1Dined on 9/7/2014Expanded menu and great bloody mary selection makes this a wonderful brunch spot but be prepared to be patient. I've been here a lot and the service is consistently slow... from ordering drinks to food to getting the check. The food and location are enough to make up for it though.Special Features:
- Great place and awesome foodFede85Dined on 9/6/2014We've been to Met Back Bay many times and always find new delicious optionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just RightbeantownchuckDined on 9/6/2014Intimate dining room with nice big window views of Newbury St. Quiet atmosphere although the night we dined the restaurant was half full. Food was well prepared and portions were generous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2014Made our first date a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Now on to date #2!Special Features:
- Best Bloody Mary!bostonbruncherDined on 8/31/2014MET has a Bloody Mary menu to rival any I've seen. You get to select all of your own ingredients, including garnishes which include everything from celery to burger sliders. I could have made a meal of Bloody Marys, if their take on Eggs Benedict wasn't quite so delish!Special Features:
- Great mealApronsDined on 8/30/2014Had a fabulous time. The lobster cheese dip was drool worthy. The ribeye could feed 3 people. The chicken parm was huge. Large portions. Go here hungry. I enjoyed the pim's cup, get a pitcher of it for a steal.Special Features:
- DinnerDinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014You will never be disappointed with your meal. A definite must is the duo tuna/salmon tartare as well as the MET Fries.Special Features:
- A little disappointedCarolineDined on 8/23/2014Went to finally check out the MET Back Bay for Restaurant Week. Their website advertised that they would be serving their special prix fixe menu from AUGUST 17 -29, 2014 so off we went to check out their delicious menu for a 1PM lunch. Upon being seated, our waiter told us that they only would be serving their brunch menu that Saturday. None of the menu options for their Dine Out Boston were on this Brunch Menu - which we had been looking forward to so much! I had a date with a friend and we were seated somewhat awkwardly at a 3-person corner table in front of the big bay window overlooking newbury. This would be a great place to sit for a party of three- but for two - we found ourselves awkwardly seated in the corner of a corner table.Special Features:
- Restaurant week lunchSgunnDined on 8/20/2014I went with coworkers for lunch during restaurant week. The food was delicious; I had a spicy shrimp appetizer and a tuna avocado skewer. The service was a bit slow. We had to wait to get the restaurant week menu and then got the dinner menu instead of lunch, so we had to wait again and got a mix of dinner and lunch menus. The staff were friendly and our meal was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Brunch SpotEJLADined on 8/16/2014I have now visited Met Back Bay twice for brunch and been pleased with the experience both times. They make a good, stiff brunch cocktail and the food looks and tastes great. I'd recommend the Pork Stuffed Hash Browns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- USUALLY A GOOD MEALJoshVIPDined on 8/16/2014Not only was it a terrible meal with so-so drinks this visit was also awkward from the start. I booked using open table requesting to be seated outside if possible. Got to the front desk where the lady said it is first come first serve and then she was cut off and the man said "that is absolutely incorrect" and gave us the impression we were to go outside. This was where we found a much more charming man who offered us a table and apologized for the oddness. I got the hash- my partner a burrito (or something like that) the Hash was massive potatoes, cold, and no flavor or charm. We asked for side salads and they came looking like the toppings for a burger (Shredded lettuce and red onions) Just all in all a very disappointing visit.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014Brunch menu and cocktails were creative and delicious!Special Features:
- Good Food, Good AmbienceMegKVIPDined on 8/14/2014Went for lunch on a week day. Surprisingly busy. Everyone in my party really enjoyed their food. Solid decor and good service. Would definitely return to MET again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service changed midwayMiamangiaVIPDined on 8/11/2014Started with a bang, when we were one of two tables inside dining room ( Outside full) but as soon as it got busy , our waiter was no where to be found Missed out on second drinks because of it Lobster cheese dip good, but lobster roll not best quality. Lamb skewer was cold when it reached table, but artichoke was delicious with butter and sauce .Special Features:
- lackluster servicejealousssssVIPDined on 8/10/2014I love the food and used to love the MET experience but this past time was the worst. Starting from the moment we walked in early for the reservation and were seated without menus. The waitress was less than attentive and the food was sub-par this time around. I was willing to chalk it up to a one time deal but to add to this lackluster experience, I then was notified by Open Table that I didn't show up for my reservation and I had to resolve that with them. This left a bad taste in my mouth about MET and the level of customer service. It will take me awhile to want to go back especially with some many other options on Newbury St.
- A bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014As a tourist, Met Back Bay is a spot we always come back to. We look forward to the great food and vibe. Sadly, most of our favorites had disappeared from the menu, leaving a seemingly more streamlined menu that was as imaginative. Even with reservations, we were seated in the The Library (not the most preferred place int he restaurant)next to a family with loud and energetic young children. So much for that romantic dinner! We will be back, but will be more vocal about our seating, and look forward to a more imaginative menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food--Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014I had a terrific lunch while in Boston for a conference. The food, location and outdoor seating were all great. The staff was slow and innattentive, and we weren't in any hurry. We had to ask for refills on our drinks, had to ask if we could order, and then for our check. I asked for a second napkin because my burger dripped through the spaces in the table top and was never given one. It was like the customers were a complerte after-thought or annoyance, instead of the primary focus. Great food doesn't overcome poor service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and serviceStueyDDined on 8/4/2014Four words: TRY THE DUCK WINGS. Food was generally very good and the service was top notch. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, good food.foodie4lifeVIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food and service. He only problem was there were mosquitoes everywhere! And we ate indoors! So that was annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy!TheDinerDined on 7/27/2014Service was spectacular. I was concerned about the sauce on a particular dish - so our waitress brought me a taste to try before ordering. The food was fabulous and innovative. I have tried wings in many restaurants - but this is the first time I had Duck Wings or bruschetta with fava bean pesto. The huge windows allowed for a wonderful view. We'll definitely be back and would highly recommend this delicious placeSpecial Features:
- Excellent...as alwaysLoveBostonDined on 7/20/2014I have been here several times for lunch and this was my first time for dinner with a friend from out of town. Always a wonderful atmosphere and an un-rushed pace that was perfect for my friend and I to catch up. Food was excellent and always unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationpinkyDined on 7/19/2014We were very happy with the service, the setting, and the food. My son loved his burger and I my steak with the delicious cognac mustard sauce. Excellent salmon and tuna tartare appetizer which was enough for two people. Expensive but you are paying for the location and the decor. The waitress could not have been nicer or more helpful. I was impressed that they asked me what kind of liquor I wanted in my Manhattan. Always a good sign.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014The staff was very friendly and attentive. Everyone we encountered wished us a Happy Anniversary (noted from the Open Table reservation). Everyone seemed happy to be working there and was notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishRachDined on 7/19/2014Met Back Bay delivers as usual! Only problem is our drinks came out after our entrees :-/ at least they came outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceFrequentGuestVIPDined on 7/7/2014I have been here over 10 times,the experience last couple of months keeps getting worse. Server though pleasant was not trained.id. Host put diners almost on top of each other although restaurant was relatively empty. We saw two parties leave without ordering by the time our meals came. Wrong meal was delivered, not served until the our group had finished. No manager came to apologize or correct. The creamed spinach was soupy and poorly prepared. We asked for the customary crackers and cheese. We received four crackers and a "sorry no more cheese". When we left the hosts and manager made it a point to say good bye, no one asked us if everything was OK Sadly, this experience was the final straw we will not be recommending or going anymore.
- Great food, subpar serviceSamEDined on 6/29/2014Our brunch was excellent, but the waiter left a lot to be desired. Don't let one waiter spoil the trip for you, definitely worth the food, just build in some wiggle room to sit around and wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had lunch outsideJojogo1VIPDined on 6/21/2014Had a delicious lunch outside on the patio , which is below street level. They have umbrellas which is nice. I had the met chopped salad with shrimp which was large and had brocc, avocado, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, beets , bacon and I think some corn . It was just what I wanted for brunch. My husband had a pork belly sandwich which was very fatty. He said it was ok, but he wouldn't get it again. People around us had gorgeous looking burgers. The hot dog looked delicious too. Service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude hostessesBstnDined on 6/18/2014The food and server were great. The indoor and outdoor hostesses, however, were rude and incompetent. We arrived and I announced my reservation (I put outdoor seating in the notes). The indoor hostess had a bad attitude. She wouldn't help us and told us to go outside. The outdoor hostess told us that it would be a 20 min wait, then finally seated us after I insisted twice that I had a reservation as she seemed not to care that I had one. I've never been given the runaround like this at a restaurant before. I will NOT be going back.
- Brunch for foodiesshrooniDined on 6/14/2014Our meal was exceptional- cannot say enough about the Bruschetta- we actually came back the next day and had it for a snack. Other notable menu items: glazed duck wings, roasted chicken, buttermilk biscuits, hamburger, croquet madam. We will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchCisforCookieDined on 6/8/2014The food was absolutely delicious but unfortunately the service we received was less than stellar. We waited over five minutes just for a waiter to introduce in himself and another ten minutes after that to get our drinks. He also seemed bizarrely judgmental on how much food we were ordering (I ordered eggs; my friend ordered eggs; and we asked to split the Captain Crunch French toast). It was obviously a lot of food but it didn't warrant judgement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service in library barOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014Food was decent, but service in the library bar was pretty poor. Didn't manage to flag the waiter down to order a drink until my entree had arrived! And forget getting my water Glas refilled. Sit in the regular dining room for better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location and prices fantastic!emmmmmDined on 5/29/2014The food is always prepared wonderfully, and the prices are surprisingly great for the atmosphere, location, service and food you're getting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft Shell Crab ObsessionAddicted2FoodVIPDined on 5/24/2014Have been sampling the Met's Soft Shell Crab emphasis...this night's version was a disappointment..although was described as tempura batter (which should be quite light) the batter was very thick - burying the crab in fried dough and masking its delicious flavor - a crime against these lovely critters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft Shell Crab ObsessionAddicted2FoodVIPDined on 5/23/2014The fried Burrata starter was fabulous - spicing was perfect. The soft shell crab was heavenly, as was the asparagus risotto it sat upon. Great beer selection and the Blood Orange Cosmo just the right blend of sweet/sourSpecial Features:
- So many items to try!ptk6660Dined on 5/20/2014What a great lunch menu. The service was very efficient and friendly. The food is excellent and the outdoor patio with the banquet setting and pillows to support my back was wonderfully comfortable. I look forward to going pack. And the prices are reasonable. Love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 463 reviews are from the MET Back Bay reviews archive.
- metsa metsaDisappointedDined on 5/18/2014Food awesome.....waiter extremely slow and forgot to put in order. Had he admitted it and apologized instead of blaming kitchen things would have been better. Don't bother to tell them you are on a special event they will do nothing to recognize it. Like I said food great.Special Features:
- Great placekimhDined on 5/17/2014Good food. Comfortable & convenient Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Reliable, good foodpetitfoodieVIPDined on 5/16/2014I go to Met Bar because it's convenient to where I live. The 4 Cheese Mac & Cheese was delicious. We also had the delectable lobster cheddar dip to start. Those were the high notes. Other entrees ordered included: the Chopped Salad (fresh and nice-sized portion), Spaghetti & Clams (good, not overly oily), Fish & Chips (one out of two large pieces had been deep fried for too long and was no longer appetizing), and Scallops (do not order this dish here - you'll be very disappointed). We also ordered a pitcher of sangria, which was fine.Special Features:
- loved itm588Dined on 5/16/2014great spot for friends and enjoying good food together. great location and calming interior atmosphereSpecial Features: