5270 W. 116th Place
Leawood, KS 66211Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mestizoleawood.com/
- Phone: 9137529025
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Thursday, Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Brad Rishmanny
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our rooftop patio that is partially enclosed seats up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Molly Fandel 4802363518
A word from Mestizo
Mestizo is the creation of Chef Aarón Sánchez. The name, Mestizo, represents the melting pot of cultures that defines Mexico and its people. From the Native Americans, to the Spanish and Latin American influences, these cultures define the personality of the country and translate into the cuisine. All Mexican cuisine can be traced back to the Yucatan, Pueblo or the Veracruz regions and to the ingredients that are indigenous to these areas. Through the masterful combination of these ingredients, Aarón Sánchez uses his classic culinary training to create recipes that define a menu of bold flavors that set a new standard in Mexican cuisine. Using only the freshest and sustainable ingredients, Aarón's food will delight the palate and create a true appreciation of the flavors of Mexico. With sleek interiors, a sexy atmosphere, and a menu offering unique dishes, Mestizo is the perfect spot for any dining occasion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mestizo reviews from OpenTable diners
- What a fun place! Can't waitMClaireDined on 7/21/2013What a fun place! Can't wait to 'deck weather', to be able to dine outside on the patio or the even larger upper deck! The wait staff was friendly and personable. The food was innovative, tasty and fun (although portions were small). A 1 cup side order of the Drunken Beans @ $5 was a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodLouWDined on 7/20/2013Table not ready at reservation time-seated 20 minutes late. The food is beyond compare. Brussel Sprout salad & queso fundido terrific. Jicama/mango/cucumber appetizer not a great choice. Corn chowder excellent. Drinks pricey & different, but good. Salsa - fantastic. Mild actually has taste. Hot sauce thick consistency, yellowish color, nice slow after-burn & loaded with flavor. Service issues. Salads arrived 1st, with appetizers. Dinners a minute later. Weren't ready, so at their suggestion, sent back. Then lost track of our dinners & we never got them. Had eaten enough anyway. Prior visit service great. Server & Manager handled problem-comp entire bill (didn't expect/ask). We will return. Restaurant terrific, service issue unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, but under seasonedDrew096Dined on 7/14/2013Most of the proteins that came to our table, crispy pork belly, chicken breast etc was under seasoned & in need of salt. But overall the food was well executed.
- Pretty sadOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2013We thought the food had no taste what's so ever. The drinks were good. Our waiter had zero personality (Adam) he came to our table maybe 3 times the whole time we were there. We had to ask the manager to get us salt and pepper just so we could choke the food down. Sorry guys you need to step it up. You have such a great location and so much potential.
- been here a few times now...foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2013been here a few times now...food is consistent....service is not
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2013I had hoped by now that Mestizo would have it together. On this occasion, it was 20 minutes before we were offered drinks, 15 minutes later we were told that the wines we selected were no longer available. They only had 2 red wines - and after ordering one (which took another 20 minutes to arrive), it was hot. When we asked for a martini list, they said they didn't have one, but had a mixologist. A chocolate espresso martini was ordered and a chocolate margarita arrived (that's what the "mixologist" called it when it arrived. A few at our table tasted it and said it was horrible and he said he just tried to throw something together. Chips are great, but food is nothing to write home about. Disappointing bananas foster.
- "No Outdoor Dining"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2013We wanted to sit out side to eat, but the hostess said they didn't serve dinner on their patio. When we left, we noticed every patio table was full of customers eating dinner. Other than that, the food was amazing. The margaritas were life changing. Have to order the queso fondido!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it. Curly headed maleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/6/2013Loved it. Curly headed male waiter that is a chiropractor was amazing!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be better.kcpopsDined on 6/29/2013The meat in my beef enchiladas was a little tough but the flavors of the food from the appetizer through desert were excellent. Service was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was very good! ReallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2013food was very good! Really like the decor- We were able to eat outdoors on the upstairs patio and it was very enjoyable- I had the salmon- it was delicious! My wife had a chicken dish and our friends had the enchillada ( spare rib) and the pork cheeks -they said fantastic. Overall, we all enjoyed the food. Great mohito as well!!!!!!Special Features:
- One of my favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/29/2013I have actually been there several times for lunch, but this was my first time for dinner. When they called to verify my reservation I had asked for a quiet table since I was meeting a friend I hadn't seen in a while and we wanted to be able to catch up. We were in the back, just off the bar and it was perfect. The hostess did offer a table out on the patio. While it was beautiful that night, it was just a tad windy so our inside table was great. We each had something different and neither was disappointed.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4KansasfoodieDined on 6/28/2013We met long time friends at Mestizo's expecting an interesting dinner and lots of catching up time. We were not disappointed. The food is incredible! Lamb tacos, chili rellenos, pork belly tacos were preceded by innovative appetizers all served by a knowledgeable and gracious hostess. One of the appetizers was going to take a little longer due to the fresh ingredients and someone from the kitchen came out to explain the anticipated delay and would we mind. More time to talk!!! The margaritas are so fresh tasting and unique - must go back just to try another flavor! Do make reservations as they are a busy place but the activity is energizing and not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, awful serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013Birthday dinner for seven. Were ready for us, except 15 minutes to get drinks, 25 minutes before appetizer order was even taken. Server was friendly but notably absent - had way too many tables. Drinks very slow to arrive - went to bar myself - they lost money on our bar tab as we would have had 2-3 rounds more. Food arrived quickly once ordered and everything was good. Went to upstairs deck after dinner, about 9:30. What a waste of time. Two servers, 40 minutes to get a drink, and they weren't that crowded. Bar was minimally stocked and didn't even have basic after dinner drinks. Do NOT bother with the deck. Bottom line - great food, terrible service. Won't return for dinner, perhaps lunch during off-hours.Special Features:
- Comedy of ErrorsDinerVIPDined on 6/26/2013Our waiter was terrible - very slow, he forgot to order lunch for one of our party, he brought salt on both of the Margaritas that were supposed to be "no salt", he told us that the daily special (sword fish tacos) came with three tacos, but both people who ordered it only got two tacos. All in all, not such a great experience.Special Features:
- An unforgettable dining experiencejayhawkerDined on 6/22/2013What a great place to bring my date. Our waitress was well-attuned to the situation and made perfect suggestions for us. The food, when it came out to us, looked small but was incredibly filling. All around, magnificent service melded with authentic food gave us a taste of the experience Mr. Sanchez would dream of his guests.Special Features:
- Fine mexican cusine at its bestDineNdonDined on 6/22/2013Had a wonderful dinner experience start to finish. Mixed drinks were great. Nearly every dish, including the salads, was a delicious mix of flavors. Pass on the cactus appetizer. Scallops are a must. Service was timely and included a visit from head chef Aaron Sanchez.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had such a wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2013We had such a wonderful experience and the staff was so nice and did a wonderful job of taking care of us. There were ten of us and everyone loved it. This was our second time there but it was our other eight friends first time and they all really liked the food and how well we were treated. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aaron was in the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013Aaron was in the restaurant which made our visit awesome. We took a friend who had never been before. Aaron came to our table and visited as he did with all the other tables. Love seeing this as we know he is busy. I don't think one could keep him off the floor if he was asked. Love that! We have been many times and the food is always outstanding. its just a bonus to have Aaron there.Special Features:
- Late night deliciousness!rmcconnellVIPDined on 6/20/2013On my way home from working late and discovered Mestizo does a late night menu. It is limited, but what is on it is great.Special Features:
- Most Recent Visit to MestizoOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013We have visited Mestizo several times in the past year and each time it seems as if the restautant gets better and better. I must highly commend the wait staff. They are prompt, very courteous and well trained. The Mexican inspired food is spicy and delicious but would never be confused with standard Tex-Mex fare. If it is a nice evening, the patio is very relaxing as you enjoy your meal and watch the families and children play in the square. It is also a great place to enjoy Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placechiefsfanDined on 6/16/2013we were in town for concert and can here for the brunch on fathers day it was great a little pricey for a brunch but was a great meal would recommend it to anyone and service was great and quickSpecial Features:
- Horrible service, food was as greatchiefsgirlDined on 6/16/2013We ate here most recently for Father's Day brunch, but we do eat here whenever We are in KC!!! The food is always superb, but this experience was frustrating. We ordered something that was never brought to us, even though the waiter said "excellent choice," then acted surprised when we called him out on it. And still never got it, even after the reminder. We were then charged for the mimosa each that was included in our brunch. Our server Flat out told us we were wrong. We showed him the sign right there on our table and he still claimed we were Wrong. We left a small tip, (with an uncorrected $10 overcharge!) and he chased us out the restaurant once he'd confirmed with his manager we were right. Awesome Father's Day, right?!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a leak in the roof thatAmyDDined on 6/15/2013Was a leak in the roof that was dripping on our table. The server and other staff members knew but did not offer to make other accommodations for us. We ate quickly and left.Special Features:
- disappointed this timeSavannaDined on 6/15/2013We have loved Mestizo since it opened! Today's visit was less than anticipated. Food's quality is seeming to fade as time goes by. The tortillas are still the best we've ever had with the fundido--love it--but other than that, not as good as usual. The sangria was freshly made and the flavors had not melded like they had in the past and the tostdadas were not as good. Not sure when we'll be back again. Well, we will be back for the tortillas.Special Features:
- The food was amazing and notfoodguruDined on 6/14/2013The food was amazing and not overpriced. I really enjoyed the scallops and lamb enchiladas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent menu selection, I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/12/2013Decent menu selection, I had the dinner special mussels in beer broth and they were very tasty. The service was attentive and beer was cold! The only slight disappointment was the dessert options. We ended up elsewhere due to lack of appeal. Overall though we had a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful food, good serviceLWLAlaskaDined on 6/10/2013A group of 4 of us had a lunch meeting at Mestizo in early June, 2013. First of all, parking was free and easy to find! The server was attentive and knowledgeable, and the food *very* tasty - lots of flavor, served hot and nicely presented. The portions were modest and even though we had asked for a quiet table and the restaurant was nearly empty, it was still hard to carry on a conversation without effort. (I'll be glad when the noisy restaurant trend is over!) If we lived in the area, we would definitely visit Mestizo again for the great food!Special Features:
- Just OKfoodfanDined on 6/8/2013I was expecting something a little more special from this place given the owner's association with the Food Network. The food was ok, but not something I would just rave about.Special Features:
- The food was good but overbigmacDined on 6/8/2013The food was good but over all too loud and we had an issue with the sun in our faces for a good part of the evening. Really liked the chili reanos but was disappointed with the bananas foster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anna was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2013Our waitress Anna was the best! 1942 Tequila shots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - the prices areOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/7/2013Great food - the prices are a little high for the amount of food. Great happy hour drink specials!Special Features:
- Food was below expectations.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2013Food was below expectations. The chile rellanos were stuffed with soooo much corn. The corn flavor overwhelmed. The pork cheek and lamb enchiladas were the good and the best part of the meal.
- Great Food and ServiceCharlieMDined on 5/31/2013Great Mexican-fusion tapas, attentive service by well informed staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Love This Place!bookluvr4uDined on 5/25/2013My husband and I have been here several times now and absolutely love it. The food is always good. We've never had anything bad and the servers are stellar! The last time we went it was a little louder than usual but we didn't mind. It added to the energy of the place. We will go back time and time again.Special Features:
- Even Better Than Its ReviewcherylVIPDined on 5/23/2013I had been hearing so many good things about this restaurant that I was afraid it would not live up to its hype. No worries there. It was a charming space with wonderful food and an excellent wait staff! The chips came out hot. The guacamole was very fresh. The margarita had an interesting little twist. Sides were unique, not just the same old rice and beans. Dinner was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has potentialInteresteddinerDined on 5/20/2013Ambiance and out door dining was very pleasant. The menu was interesting and fun. Food was tasty, but also lacked in some areas. Service was good, not great. Mainly due to lack of knowledge of the menu items. Could have been an outstanding experience with a few minor changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - Poor ServiceGigiDined on 5/20/2013The food was great. Recommend the civichi (spelling??) but you know what I mean. The service was poor. Had to ask for utensils several times. Then had to ask for plates. Server would disappear for great lengths of time and did not check on the table. The restaurant was not crowded and he still brought us the wrong check.Special Features:
- Try harderHungryDined on 5/19/2013The food was good but the service was below par. The restaurant wasn't busy and the staff was preoccupied with each other then other rather then the customer. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Although the service was ayummyDined on 5/19/2013Although the service was a little slow, the absolutely excellent food more than made up for that. Best crisp pork belly best ever. We were dining with a bartender family member who was impressed with the margarita which was made correctly and tasted perfect., The grilled ricado chicken was very flavorful and tender. The mahi-mahi tacos were delicious. The drinks were a little slow coming, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a very attractive decor. We will dine there again, and bring friends. Nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in Every RespectmajicVIPDined on 5/19/2013There's one thing to be said about good food at a restaurant owned by a celebrity chef (Aaron Sanchez), but the service here is absolutely on par with that food. It must be a fun place to work (where the employees are appreciated) because they all seem so happy to be there and to make their customers' experience special. We go back time after time.Special Features: