4500 Los Feliz Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.messhallkitchen.com/
- Phone: (323) 660-6377
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday Lunch 11:30am to 3pm
Monday-Friday Happy Hour 4pm to 6pm
Sunday-Monday Dinner 5pm to 10pm Bar Open Til 12am
Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday Dinner 5pm to 10:30pm Bar Open Til 1am
Friday-Saturday Dinner 5pm to 11pm Bar Open Til 1:30am
Saturday-Sunday Brunch 10am to 3pm
Kitchen is closed everyday at 3pm to 5pm *Happy Hour Food Monday-Friday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Nick Erven
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Local Dj's & local bands.
A word from Messhall Kitchen
MessHall- LA’s newest eatery located in the heart of Los Feliz. A re-interpretation of a classic American tavern, featuring a raw bar and a relaxed atmosphere of social/communal dining. Open spaces with a neo-industrial feel incorporating elements of the location’s history including its past as Cecil B. De Mille’s Willard’s Chicken Inn and The Brown Derby. MessHall will feature American Classics re-conceptualized by our executive chef Lauren Cartmel using local, sustainable, organic and seasonal ingredients. Featuring a bar program by Austin Mendez and his team of barsmith’s, with a heavy emphasis on classics, small batch new American spirits and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Messhall Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Los Feliz ›
Messhall Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (63)great for outdoor dining (62)fit for foodies (50)good for groups (50)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (34)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (25)late-night find (17)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (10)romantic (9)notable wine list (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always a good choiceNYvisitorDined on 11/19/2014We often go to Mess Hall. Nice patio, parking, great food and libations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kinda Good Food, Kinda Pretentious PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Menu is a little precious, and no restaurant should ever, ever have TVs... but the food itself is very good, and the service is friendly. Attractive interior (aside from the TVs) and nice, low, lighting is undercut somewhat by a high noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't be in a hurryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2014we have been going here often before going to Pantages Sunday evenings. Since they don't start serving food until 5 pm, we only have an hour to eat which hadn't been an issue in the past, but this time everything took too long, and the kale salad had changed. The food itself wasn't as good as usual. Don't know if the chef had changed, but we will be looking elsewhere. Disappointing, since we usually enjoyed this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Service but a bit over eagerJoseDined on 10/21/2014Still noisy, but better Great cocktails, but again pushing the bar rounds, to increase tips of course, can be a bit intrusive. Overall good place but wait staff needs some guidance about differentiated table service to address the multigenerational neighborhood patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters and the restMessHallDined on 10/14/2014Service was impeccable and the oysters are wonderful. All the rest of the food that we ordered was very good as well, especially the house fries.Special Features:
- Good food and amazing mixed drinkspickyeaterVIPDined on 10/9/2014Really good food- great selection and really well prepared. But the drinks and the service are over the top. For casual place, the service is amazing - frienedly, helpful and there at all the right times. Highly recommend Messhall.Special Features:
- I'll be coming back!MaryPatVIPDined on 10/7/2014I came here for a business lunch and was impressed! It's comfort food and it tastes great! The staff was considerate, fun and were happy to make suggestions. I'll be coming back and I definitely plan on trying the whiskey flights. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohannaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014We ordered a variety of sides and smalls before going to a show at the Greek. Fast and comfortable service and splendid food. So glad that Mess Hall is in our neighborhood. Grilled peach and burrata salad was delish as well as the drop off the bone ribs. Waitress was charming and helpful.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre-concert dinnerGoodEatsDined on 10/3/2014Great location - close to the Greek Theatre and ideal for pre-conconcert dinner. Very good menu with all sorts of dishes sure to please different tastes. Wonderful bar and delicious house drinks.Special Features:
- worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014Our first experience at Messhall was great, and even though it's about 30 miles from home, we will definitely be back! And not just because we're going to the Greek!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotJD10Dined on 9/27/2014Great neighborhood spot, especially if you are heading to the Greek for a show. Service was fantastic and the cocktails were lovely, but drinks seemed to take a long time (we waited about 20 minutes to get 4 drinks and another 10 minutes for the bartender to settle our tab so we could be seated at our table - they couldn't transfer the tab). Our server was great and made sure to keep an eye on the time so we could make it to our show in time. Food is good, but nothing to write home about. Classic gastropub food, but mediocre for the most part. Definitely worth it for the ambiance/vibe, but not if you're looking for anything too far above average in the food department.Special Features:
- Roll the Dice!ArkitektJenDined on 9/12/2014Food, drink, and service were outstanding. MH is a dining experience complete with unique menu items that are sure to please. The Campfire dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good!YummersDined on 9/10/2014Hostess wasn't great but everything got better from there. Very friendly server, great gin drink special, and an excellent short rib entree. Looking forward to returnig.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clever, cozy, yummy4evergameDined on 9/9/2014Messhall is great place to meet up for drinks & oysters & awesome mac & cheese at the cool bar or on the firepit patio or you can have a fantastic meal beautifully prepared and cleverly presented with top notch service. It in the numerous details for the Messhall inspired plates and table settings to the decorations and vibe, everything is understated cool and crafted including the well drinks and beer. Food is good enough for true goodies and place is relaxed enough to let loose and have a good time. Service is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Fries are awesome.YummyFoodDined on 9/3/2014Such great food and service each time I go. We went with a party of 6 and had an amazing time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great conceptMemoDined on 8/31/2014Decorated to look like the mess hall at camp, Messhall has an interesting brunch menu that has the usual but also some interesting dishes that warrant a second visit. Great burger with perfectly crisp fries. I'd definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBenningtonVIPDined on 8/30/2014The menu seems confused, lots of young families with screaming kids, lots of flies on the patio (some ceiling fans would help). Convenient location for dinner before the Greek Theater, but other than that, I'd skip this restaurant.
- Overall great dining experienceAndiODined on 8/30/2014Sat on the patio, had excellent service, food was creative. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misses a few beatsVeggie78VIPDined on 8/29/2014We ordered at 2:40 pm and the kitchen closes at 3pm. The BLT listed fried green tomatoes as an ingredient, which is why my friend got it. I ordered a veggie burger and asked for cheddar or gruyere (both cheeses were listed for other burgers). The BLT came with a regular tomato. And they had shredded cheese, not even melted, on my burger! When we complained, the waitress just said well that's odd it's supposed to be a fried green tomato. I mentioned my unhappiness to the busboy and he was the one who told our server again about my dislike of the food. They brought the check and had charged me an extra $1 for the cheese!! I mentioned this was a bit silly and the server said oops they were supposed to credit that. Not the best service.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've been coming here since it opened. Kitchen was very slow this time. 7 in our party, 3 hamburgers, 2 corn hash and 1 chicken waffle took almost an hour! Waitress was nice to comp us breakfast pastries.
- Enjoyed but just not very specialdineinLADined on 8/19/2014The waiter that we had did not seem very happy to be helping newbee's. It was mine and my boyfriends first time here. We ask about the oyster menu and he quickly responded that they only had one type of oyster on special but in a very snappy and "hurry up" manner. The drinks we ordered took forever to get to us. The gentleman that was refilling our water glass(not our waiter) was more pleasant to speak to and helpful. I regret now not getting his name. The noise level didn't bother me very much because it all set the vibe.Special Features:
- MidtwnerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Staff was very friendly and seated us promptly. When we asked to switch table as the light was out at our table and we couldn't read menu, they were gracious and immediately moved us to a neighboring table. Food was very good and the general feel of the place was fun and lots of energy. A bit noisy but not so bad you couldn't carry on conversation. The burgers were really good as was the crab dip. It was oyster night and while not a fan myself, everyone else was enjoying the beautifully arranged platters. Interesting drink menu, lots of beers. Mixed crowd - hipsters to older people. Very local, neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- Messhall was extraordinary!MiamiToLADined on 8/17/2014From the initial interaction with the beautiful hostess, to the decor or the restaurant and the charming and well-informed server, this place couldn't go wrong. And when we worded our appetizers & drinks, and they arrived, it was like bliss had exploded in our souls. Everything about the drinks & apps were astounding. Then, dinner arrived and we had reached the pinnacle of euphoria. Our dinners were so delicious that neither of us at the table wanted to speak to each other again. Thank you for everything, Messhall, we'll definitely be back again... and again!Special Features:
- Good but spendyBaileymuffinDined on 8/15/2014Good food (altho not a huge range of choices). Very friendly service. However our table of four quickly tallied a $220 tab in 1 hr.. Pretty spendy for a gastro-pub experience. The wine & innovative cocktails are not cheap and contributed to tally. My husband and our guest did rave that the fried chicken was the best they ever had.Special Features:
- I always enjoy myselfmrJoDined on 8/11/2014My fifteen year old choose MH for her birthday dinner. Of course i waited till the last minute to make reservations and when i did i screwed up the time and # of people. the hostess handled it without a blink which made me look good. the waitress was engaging and knowledgeable about the menu, the food was great, they comped my daughters dessert and all the women in my house where happy. what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Cool Spot!NuhntimeDined on 8/8/2014Server was on point its raucous and loud but fun....food is real good bit pricey but all in all real cool spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressed!yumseekerDined on 8/8/2014Had a great experience! The service was prompt and so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow servicefoodieDined on 8/7/2014I have been to Messhall before and really enjoy the food, interesting and well made. The bar has lots of variety and combinations I have never drank before. The service on this visit was terribly slow however. It was 5+ minutes before our service approached us about drinks and appetizers, then the wait to order entrees...we laughed that maybe we should have ordered our entire dinner at the beginning! I'll go back but only for one more try. Great food does not make up for the slow service.Special Features:
- Great place!RhorseDined on 8/5/2014Can be noisy, but sit on the patio and enjoy the night! Food and service were amazing!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the corn fritters and the grilled peaches & burrata salad, the halibut served atop a german potato salad style yumminess and the brussels sprouts. The online menu shows a lemon meringue pie which is my favorite dessert and when we got there it wasn't on the restaurant's current menu. We also each had the Amanda which was very good with a huge piece of floating ice. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Buffalo wings everhouserscDined on 7/28/2014They truly have the best buffalo wings. The sauce on them was perfect. The mess hall burger was great as well. The service was really good too. Do yourself a favor and eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2014Went for dineLA and had a great experience. Yummy food, amazing drinks and stellar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster VibeMillertimeDined on 7/26/2014Fun spot! I really liked my pulled pork sandwich and cocktails. The vodka and soda cocktails are excellent! The service was good and the atmosphere has a very hipster vibe to it. The salads were a little bit spendy-but that is really the only complaint I have of this place. Otherwise-great experience and I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospherespiceOfLifeDined on 7/25/2014Very cool spot, this is the 2nd time I've been for dinner. The service is good, drinks are great. Food was very tasty. I would recommend this place!Special Features:
- The following 167 reviews are from the Messhall Kitchen reviews archive.
- SUMMER CAMP FOR SWELLSpeachyeatsVIPDined on 7/22/2014It's like an Adirondack lodge in Los Feliz, complete with the canoe hung on a wall and craft cocktails. In the evening, it's often jammed with happy campers, but the vibe is serene at lunch. And you can eat outside on the patio facing a leafy part of Los Feliz Boulevard. The food? It's fine. But if Little Dom's down the street is too crowded at lunch, saunter over here.Special Features:
- Dinner disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014I was very disappointed my Fried Chicken was over cooked and dry, My husband's French fries were also over cooked to a very dark brown. We did enjoy the Oysters because they were not cooked!Special Features:
- MesshalljeffDined on 7/18/2014Excellent service. Food as rated. Noise level was very high. Do not remember the previous tenant (Loiuse's) being that noisy. All the hard wood and flat surfaces makes for a very loud environment. Should have eaten outside where even off a busy street is probably quieter.Special Features:
- FairFoodjunkieDined on 7/18/2014Although our waitress was very nice...the kitchen was not at it's best that night. They did compensate us thou. Also it was cold inside the restaurant and we were told the air would be put down but I kept my sweater on all night.Special Features:
- Almost...uceeDined on 7/11/2014Saturday night reservations for two. Seated immediately. Service attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Camp theme. Lively atmosphere. Cocktail and a beer to start. Cocktail was excellent. Beer tasted off or stale. On to oysters with a bloody mary to replace the beer. Oysters were good. Smokey/bbq type flavor with the cocktail sauce. Smokey flavor also present in bloody mary ... A riff on the camp messhall theme I suppose ... to each his own... Short ribs and salmon as entrees. Short ribs bland and a bit dry. Salmon good, but not memorable. Sides were quite tasty. If we return, we'd go for drinks and a round or two of oysters and maybe try the charcuterie plate. I don't think we'd expect a lot from the entrees.Special Features:
- Service took a whileLAloveDined on 7/6/2014The food takes a while but when it gets there it's good. Staff is friendly. Coloring paper and crayons for kids. Nice set up and plenty of sitting. Nice outdoor space.Special Features: