4500 Los Feliz Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90027Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.messhallkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3236606377x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday Lunch 11:30am to 3pm
Monday-Friday Happy Hour 4pm to 6pm
Sunday-Monday Dinner 5pm to 10pm Bar Open Til 12am
Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday Dinner 5pm to 10:30pm Bar Open Til 1am
Friday-Saturday Dinner 5pm to 11pm Bar Open Til 1:30am
Saturday-Sunday Brunch 10am to 3pm
Kitchen is closed everyday at 3pm to 5pm *Happy Hour Food Monday-Friday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Nick Erven
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Local Dj's & local bands.
A word from Messhall Kitchen
MessHall- LA’s newest eatery located in the heart of Los Feliz. A re-interpretation of a classic American tavern, featuring a raw bar and a relaxed atmosphere of social/communal dining. Open spaces with a neo-industrial feel incorporating elements of the location’s history including its past as Cecil B. De Mille’s Willard’s Chicken Inn and The Brown Derby. MessHall will feature American Classics re-conceptualized by our executive chef Lauren Cartmel using local, sustainable, organic and seasonal ingredients. Featuring a bar program by Ben Scott and his team of barsmith’s, with a heavy emphasis on classics, small batch new American spirits and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Messhall Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Los Feliz ›
Messhall Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (72)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (52)fit for foodies (46)great for brunch (41)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (33)great for lunch (33)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (18)special occasion (17)romantic (12)notable wine list (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great conceptMemoDined on 8/31/2014Decorated to look like the mess hall at camp, Messhall has an interesting brunch menu that has the usual but also some interesting dishes that warrant a second visit. Great burger with perfectly crisp fries. I'd definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBenningtonVIPDined on 8/30/2014The menu seems confused, lots of young families with screaming kids, lots of flies on the patio (some ceiling fans would help). Convenient location for dinner before the Greek Theater, but other than that, I'd skip this restaurant.
- Overall great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Sat on the patio, had excellent service, food was creative. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misses a few beatsVeggie78VIPDined on 8/29/2014We ordered at 2:40 pm and the kitchen closes at 3pm. The BLT listed fried green tomatoes as an ingredient, which is why my friend got it. I ordered a veggie burger and asked for cheddar or gruyere (both cheeses were listed for other burgers). The BLT came with a regular tomato. And they had shredded cheese, not even melted, on my burger! When we complained, the waitress just said well that's odd it's supposed to be a fried green tomato. I mentioned my unhappiness to the busboy and he was the one who told our server again about my dislike of the food. They brought the check and had charged me an extra $1 for the cheese!! I mentioned this was a bit silly and the server said oops they were supposed to credit that. Not the best service.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014I've been coming here since it opened. Kitchen was very slow this time. 7 in our party, 3 hamburgers, 2 corn hash and 1 chicken waffle took almost an hour! Waitress was nice to comp us breakfast pastries.
- Enjoyed but just not very specialdineinLADined on 8/19/2014The waiter that we had did not seem very happy to be helping newbee's. It was mine and my boyfriends first time here. We ask about the oyster menu and he quickly responded that they only had one type of oyster on special but in a very snappy and "hurry up" manner. The drinks we ordered took forever to get to us. The gentleman that was refilling our water glass(not our waiter) was more pleasant to speak to and helpful. I regret now not getting his name. The noise level didn't bother me very much because it all set the vibe.Special Features:
- MidtwnerVIPDined on 8/19/2014Staff was very friendly and seated us promptly. When we asked to switch table as the light was out at our table and we couldn't read menu, they were gracious and immediately moved us to a neighboring table. Food was very good and the general feel of the place was fun and lots of energy. A bit noisy but not so bad you couldn't carry on conversation. The burgers were really good as was the crab dip. It was oyster night and while not a fan myself, everyone else was enjoying the beautifully arranged platters. Interesting drink menu, lots of beers. Mixed crowd - hipsters to older people. Very local, neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- Messhall was extraordinary!MiamiToLADined on 8/17/2014From the initial interaction with the beautiful hostess, to the decor or the restaurant and the charming and well-informed server, this place couldn't go wrong. And when we worded our appetizers & drinks, and they arrived, it was like bliss had exploded in our souls. Everything about the drinks & apps were astounding. Then, dinner arrived and we had reached the pinnacle of euphoria. Our dinners were so delicious that neither of us at the table wanted to speak to each other again. Thank you for everything, Messhall, we'll definitely be back again... and again!Special Features:
- Good but spendyBaileymuffinDined on 8/15/2014Good food (altho not a huge range of choices). Very friendly service. However our table of four quickly tallied a $220 tab in 1 hr.. Pretty spendy for a gastro-pub experience. The wine & innovative cocktails are not cheap and contributed to tally. My husband and our guest did rave that the fried chicken was the best they ever had.Special Features:
- I always enjoy myselfmrJoDined on 8/11/2014My fifteen year old choose MH for her birthday dinner. Of course i waited till the last minute to make reservations and when i did i screwed up the time and # of people. the hostess handled it without a blink which made me look good. the waitress was engaging and knowledgeable about the menu, the food was great, they comped my daughters dessert and all the women in my house where happy. what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- Cool Spot!NuhntimeDined on 8/8/2014Server was on point its raucous and loud but fun....food is real good bit pricey but all in all real cool spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impressed!yumseekerDined on 8/8/2014Had a great experience! The service was prompt and so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow servicefoodieDined on 8/7/2014I have been to Messhall before and really enjoy the food, interesting and well made. The bar has lots of variety and combinations I have never drank before. The service on this visit was terribly slow however. It was 5+ minutes before our service approached us about drinks and appetizers, then the wait to order entrees...we laughed that maybe we should have ordered our entire dinner at the beginning! I'll go back but only for one more try. Great food does not make up for the slow service.Special Features:
- Great place!RhorseDined on 8/5/2014Can be noisy, but sit on the patio and enjoy the night! Food and service were amazing!Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the corn fritters and the grilled peaches & burrata salad, the halibut served atop a german potato salad style yumminess and the brussels sprouts. The online menu shows a lemon meringue pie which is my favorite dessert and when we got there it wasn't on the restaurant's current menu. We also each had the Amanda which was very good with a huge piece of floating ice. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Buffalo wings everhouserscDined on 7/28/2014They truly have the best buffalo wings. The sauce on them was perfect. The mess hall burger was great as well. The service was really good too. Do yourself a favor and eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/27/2014Went for dineLA and had a great experience. Yummy food, amazing drinks and stellar service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster VibeMillertimeDined on 7/26/2014Fun spot! I really liked my pulled pork sandwich and cocktails. The vodka and soda cocktails are excellent! The service was good and the atmosphere has a very hipster vibe to it. The salads were a little bit spendy-but that is really the only complaint I have of this place. Otherwise-great experience and I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospherespiceOfLifeDined on 7/25/2014Very cool spot, this is the 2nd time I've been for dinner. The service is good, drinks are great. Food was very tasty. I would recommend this place!Special Features:
- SUMMER CAMP FOR SWELLSpeachyeatsVIPDined on 7/22/2014It's like an Adirondack lodge in Los Feliz, complete with the canoe hung on a wall and craft cocktails. In the evening, it's often jammed with happy campers, but the vibe is serene at lunch. And you can eat outside on the patio facing a leafy part of Los Feliz Boulevard. The food? It's fine. But if Little Dom's down the street is too crowded at lunch, saunter over here.Special Features:
- Dinner disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014I was very disappointed my Fried Chicken was over cooked and dry, My husband's French fries were also over cooked to a very dark brown. We did enjoy the Oysters because they were not cooked!Special Features:
- MesshalljeffDined on 7/18/2014Excellent service. Food as rated. Noise level was very high. Do not remember the previous tenant (Loiuse's) being that noisy. All the hard wood and flat surfaces makes for a very loud environment. Should have eaten outside where even off a busy street is probably quieter.Special Features:
- FairFoodjunkieDined on 7/18/2014Although our waitress was very nice...the kitchen was not at it's best that night. They did compensate us thou. Also it was cold inside the restaurant and we were told the air would be put down but I kept my sweater on all night.Special Features:
- Almost...uceeDined on 7/11/2014Saturday night reservations for two. Seated immediately. Service attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. Camp theme. Lively atmosphere. Cocktail and a beer to start. Cocktail was excellent. Beer tasted off or stale. On to oysters with a bloody mary to replace the beer. Oysters were good. Smokey/bbq type flavor with the cocktail sauce. Smokey flavor also present in bloody mary ... A riff on the camp messhall theme I suppose ... to each his own... Short ribs and salmon as entrees. Short ribs bland and a bit dry. Salmon good, but not memorable. Sides were quite tasty. If we return, we'd go for drinks and a round or two of oysters and maybe try the charcuterie plate. I don't think we'd expect a lot from the entrees.Special Features:
- Service took a whileLAloveDined on 7/6/2014The food takes a while but when it gets there it's good. Staff is friendly. Coloring paper and crayons for kids. Nice set up and plenty of sitting. Nice outdoor space.Special Features:
- NiniVIPDined on 6/29/2014Excellent food and service. Love the bar with the hand crafted cocktails and small batch boutique spirits! Love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dollar Oyster TuesdayMessHallDined on 6/17/2014Can't beat the deal on Tuesdays plus the rest of the food is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot but slow serviceMprezDined on 6/17/2014I'm from NYC and have a 2 yr old. I thought the service would be slightly expedited because of our situation but it was rather slow for a medium-activity level of patrons in the restaurant. Other than that, it's a great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced BrunchMessandDined on 6/15/2014Mess hall changes it's menu for Sunday brunch and it shouldn't. The food was underwhelming and overpriced. An egg sandwich for $17?! It's not worth the price. Our server was lovely, though, and he saved the experience. We won't be returning, though, due to the bland food at high prices.
- Exploring Los FelizChrisDined on 6/15/2014We live nearby in Windsor Square and are trying to investigate the Eastside. The food and service here was great and the service for Sunday brunch was terrific and attentive. A little loud but not bad. I would come back. Recommend the special pancakes and the black and white omelet (kale, slow cooked onions, and egg whites) as two brunch items. They kept the mimosas coming. This would be a great place to go before or after attending a performance at the Greek. I think they have a shuttle service from their big valet parking lot.Special Features:
- Love this place!KatRJDined on 6/15/2014I've been here twice, both times my husband and I have been blown away by the food, the amazing cocktails, and the very friendly wait staff. They take reservations, and also walk-in's at communal tables.Special Features:
- CAN'T GET ENOUGHTTinaVIPDined on 6/14/2014Once Again You Have Created A Menu So Unique I Keep Trying To Choose What I Shall Have For My Evening Meal. Perhaps The Short Ribs, Fried Chicken, Or The Special Of The Day Fresh Local Seafood And Plenty Of Veggies On The Side Mason Our Server Has Spoiled US, Every Time We Have Been There. I Just Hand Mason The Menu And Say '' MASON YOU ARE IN CHARGE'' AND I HAVE NENVER BEEN Disappointed. Either Shall You , Even With A Drink Called ''ROLL OF THE DICE'' Thanks Mason and I Shall See You Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, loud outside at rush.TdalecDined on 6/5/2014We love to take our grandson here when we can visit him in Los Feliz. We can walk here from his house. He always orders the kid's mac and cheese with fries and I always order the Mess Burger. He also loves to visit all the dogs who are welcome on the patio. The happy hour specials are great, but the traffic noise on Los Feliz Blvd is distracting. Inside is quieter early, but you wouldn't want to be in there with a three year old armed with mac and cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance, service yes, food so soneweatsDined on 5/31/2014The patio dining was nice and the service and servers were very good. The food however was just okay. We enjoyed our appetizers (corn fritters and mac and cheese), but not much beyond that.
- Great neighborhood restaurant!PinkLadyDined on 5/22/2014The service is always wonderful, the food is excellent, they always have very good dinner specials, food is fresh and they have wonderful oysters! I love going here; it's always great if you don't know where to eat because they have a diverse menu and the food is guaranteed to be delicious! Excellent location in Los Feliz, it’s near many bars and other places to hang out after a meal or meet up with friends.Special Features:
- Great food, great drinksBartenderDined on 5/17/2014Sitting outside after this heatwave breaking was great. Food was great. The drink menu is creative and amazing.Special Features:
- ARE THE BRUSSELS SPROUTS FRESH?CrotchetyOldGuyDined on 5/15/2014Finally tried this neighborhood joint and was pleasantly surprised until the food came. I first took a bite of brussels sprouts and nearly spit it out! It was VERY pungent, but I decided to power through it. And I chewed, and chewed, and chewed some more. Never before have I had so much trouble macerating a sprout. The rest were the same, except for the couple that I was able to trim the bottoms from; but one of those was also very pungent and I gave up on the dish. The bacon bits were good though. The short rib was bland and a bit dry. Why no salt on the tables?. It was a disappointment and confirmed what I've heard from friends about this place. If I ever go again it will be for a sandwich.
- Hair of the dogOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We arrived for Mother's Day brunch, no champagne was offered A gentleman at a table near us had a medium sized dog he was feverishly scratching the dog's back Fur was flying everywhere This was not a service dog How disgusting and inconsiderate How shameful that no one from the restaurant bothered to ask him to stop or leaveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 147 reviews are from the Messhall Kitchen reviews archive.
- Majoring on the MajorsLosFelizNatvDined on 5/3/2014Messhall's retro-camp vibe plus modern updates on comfort classics is a winning combination. Things can get pretty loud in the indoor dining area adjacent to the bar. Otherwise, not bad. Prices were right and the variety was there without losing sight of its comfort classic focus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dollar Oysters every TuesdayMessHallDined on 4/29/2014Been hanging out here every Tuesday to enjoy their dollar oysters but the other menu items keeps me coming back too. One should try the salmon and fish of the day. Don't miss out on the house and sweet potato fries as well.Special Features: