Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
515 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mesobrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9736559000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian
- Executive Chef: Akberet Mengistu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant of Montclair, NJ is a favorite for both vegans & meat lovers with its authentic Ethiopian food. All of our foods are prepared with imported Ethiopian spices prepared daily. The friendly staff and warm decor makes Mesob the perfect place to relax with family and friends. Our Injera, a delicious sourdough Ethiopian flat bread that you wrap your food with, makes Mesob a favorite with kids, where it’s a treat to “eat with your hands.” (but we also have silverware, if you prefer!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (51)good for groups (36)special occasion (35)great for lunch (20)romantic (19)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (12)hot spot (8)late-night find (2)Show More
- Can't go WrongCharStanDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to Mesob I love the food. The atmosphere is nice, but very loud and if you get a table without a spot light directed on it, then it is very dark. Otherwise I love it!Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The service is okay it could be better. I like the food. The restaurant has nice decor. The prices are double for dinner. If you want to try the restaurant go for lunch not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as AlwaysKathyDined on 8/16/2014Mesob never disappoints. I have been coming here for a number of years and went there this past Saturday night because we had a craving for Ethiopian. The meal was outstanding, the 3 of us ate everything put in front of us. We ordered two of the beef dishes and one of the chicken all family style to share which also included 6 vegetable sides. Everything was delicious and flavorful and just an amazing dining experience. Plan to be back here very shortly.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceRaiRodDined on 8/16/2014This was the first experience Ethiopian food and I must say; "it is amazingly delicious" and the service at Mesob is OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, fresh ingredients, interesting way if dining. Service excellent - all are friendly and respectfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday CelebrationAnex43VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went for a friend's birthday celebration. The food was great and service excellent. It is really nice to go or a place where everybody takes pride in what they are doing. We will be back many times in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindBooBearDined on 8/14/2014Great place to eat with friends. The menu is so different, it is quite an experience. Love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great . . . all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I've never had a bad experience at Mesob. I'm a vegan, and always have a choice of options that are healthy and delicious! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningGoodfood1Dined on 8/12/2014Comfortable, Fun and delicious! Servers had great recommendations, ambiance was nice and food spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDinnarrenDined on 8/2/2014Dining should be all about the experience. Mesob provides an atmosphere and incredible food served in a way that is meant to be shared - creating a great opportunity for conversation with a friend or loved one. The only real drawback is the noise level. It was very difficult to hear because of the room design and everyone having great conversation. Highly recommend this for couples who like to try new things together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MattDined on 8/1/2014If you are open to trying new types of food this is definitely the place to go.Special Features:
- Yum!REMC926Dined on 7/25/2014Everything was great! Service, food, friendliness + wonderful. Our table was right by the window which was awesome! Second time at Mesob and there will be a third, fourth, fifth.....:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VegetarianDined on 7/19/2014This is our second time at Mesob. This time we brought another couple with us. We went on Saturday night for dinner. We had a 7:00 reservation and were seated as soon as we arrived. The staff were attentive and very friendly. Three of us had the vegetarian sampler and one had the meat sampler. The food was amazing. We had a wonderful time. We will be back and so will our friends.Special Features:
- Nice Night Out at MesobSuzeDined on 7/19/2014We had a great time dining with our friends at Mesob. The food was very good and the service was wonderful, as was the atmosphere! The almond cake for dessert was a bit of a disappointment thoughSpecial Features:
- Great food...Great atmosphereJeanDined on 7/12/2014Great overall experience....would definitely come again with friends and family.Special Features:
- AwesomesauceJackieDined on 7/3/2014You will not be disappointed going here. Ethiopian food is different and unique and if you are up for it, you will be pleasantly surprised and leave very happy!Special Features:
- Pride And CareAnex43VIPDined on 6/29/2014We were back again, this time with a friend. Great service and delicious food. Served on a platter covered with the traditional Ethiopean flat bread. One of the things we love is being able to eat with our fingers but our friend opted to use a spoon as well. We all had a great time. BTW, they are BYOB.Special Features:
- Ethiopian in MontclairkokoDined on 6/28/2014Good food..legal to see could have been better...our waitress was nice but not attentive when we wanted to pay our bill and leave. By 8pm...it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experiencealison621Dined on 6/21/2014I've been wanting to try this restaurant for some time and finally went for my birthday. My fiance and I really enjoyed the different dishes and the entire experience of eating with your hands. We got the appetizer sampler and then I got the vegetarian sampler and he ordered the meat sampler for our entrees. It gave us a great chance to experience all different dishes to determine what we really liked for next time. The mushrooms were phenomenal and we loved the lamb! The staff was also so helpful and guided us as this was our first time eating Ethiopian. All in all, fun and delicious! Also, BYOB never hurts! Love that!
- Great as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014I know there are a lot of places in the area but if I'm going to make the trip, I have to go there. The food is wonderfully different and the staff is very friendly. I recommend it highly but make a reservation.Special Features:
- Interesting food excursionStanVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first visit and intro to Ethiopian food. Took us back to our childhood "fingerfood" days as we ate with their crepe-like bread instead of a fork. Quite tasty and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Always outstanding food and service at Mesob. We've never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice findpmdiningDined on 6/14/2014We were visiting and found Montclair a good location to meet up with a friend. I got the vegetable sampler which was a great way to taste a variety of dishes. My friend ordered Gomen Be-siga which is lamb, collards and seasonings. This was my favorite dish by far! My husband ordered a vegetarian mildly favored lentil dish that was a little bland for my tastes.Special Features:
- Relaxed atmosphere with yummy food!San81Dined on 6/3/2014The food was delicious and the service was great as always. Their dishes taste like real homemade food made from wholesome and fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW....AngelmanDined on 5/25/2014This was an awesome experience for my wife & I. It was her birthday & I wanted to do something new for her by taking her to a place she had never eaten at before. All I have to say is that Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant is the place you want to go to have an authentic, wonderful, Ethiopian experience with extremely delicious food. You won't regret it! :-)Special Features:
- Good foodParadiseDined on 5/25/2014The food is fresh & staff is friendly. The place is set up for all different types of occasion. It can be romantic, fun & quiet all in one place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love it!atanisDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I have been going to Mesob for years. Wonderful and knowledgeable staff. The food is amazing. We have gone for date nights, with friends and family, even with young family members 6 months to 2 years old. Brunch is very good too! I have gone to other Ethiopian resturants and they don't even compare to the quality that Mesob brings to their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want to try something diffAllkindsoffoodsDined on 5/23/2014Amazing food. Different than you might be use you, but amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite spot in Montclair!KalaDined on 5/23/2014I've been coming to Mesob for some time now. It's my go to place for delicious food, great service and overall, a great night out. As a vegan, they have many wonderfully delicious foods for me to choose from. They also have a bounty of foods for carnivores. My meat eating friends have never left hungry and I've never left without a smile on my face.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing like I've been to beforecmaiDined on 5/20/2014Presentation great Server friendly Mild medium and spicy was confusing though.. -medium and spicy tasted the same -I love spicy but this was too spicy, maybe make a separate category called fire or something The desserts were FANTASTIC!! wow the 4 chocolates were amazing! The cake was as well I found the coffee to be on point. No sugar or milk even needed. Good Job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ethiopian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014We have been to Mesob more than 10 times.. we drive 30 min plus to get there. We love their food, service and hospitality. We would very highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLL318Dined on 5/17/2014Yes, you eat with your hands! And it was great! Food was amazing and the staff was super nice and helpful with menu suggestions (for a first timer i needed some guidance). Love the location and the restaurant was very clean. Great find!Special Features:
- vegetarians rejoicevegfamilyDined on 5/16/2014If you're vegetarian you won't go hungry here. The menu offers plenty of variety for everyone. multiple vegan desserts available as well. The atmosphere is kid friendly within reason... It's noisy enough that any temporary outburst will likely go unnoticed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014the ingra was too sour...but the vegetables were nice...
- It's Fun!LoriGVIPDined on 5/10/2014I haven't been to Mesob for a long time. I wouldn't eat Ethiopian food every week, but it's fun. The food is flavorful and spicy and eating off a communal plate is uncommon. The place is busy and noisy, but I would recommend it. Don't forget to BYO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Gluten free patrons.jvdvrvDined on 5/10/2014The injera bread which serves as an edible placemat for the food can be made either gluten free and since I'm gluten free I was thankful for that. I really like the slightly sour taste of this bread. The various meats and vegetable, or bean side dishes are interesting and the flavors are unique. There is a lot of variety since a typical meal consists of at least 3 different things on your plate. The service is good but slow when they are busy. I didn't mind waiting as it just gives you more time to socialize prior to the meal and they don't rush you out the door.Special Features:
- Best Ethiopian in NJCherokee7046Dined on 5/10/2014I've been to Mesob numerous times. The food is always excellent and the staff there are friendly. It's BYOB, so you can have a nice dinner at a very reasonable price. I have taken friends and family there multiple times for them to try something different. Every one has enjoyed it and wanted to go back. That says a lot as this place is 40 minutes or more away from most of us, but it is well worth the drive. This is by far the best Ethiopian restaurant in NJ and the best I've been to regardless of state!Special Features:
- Delucious!!DS1964Dined on 5/10/2014This is my third time here and it's amazing every time! From the food to the service, it's all just so good. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night at MesobOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014This past Saturday was not our first time at Mesob. We love the food, decor and staff. But, I would not go there on a Saturday night again, unless I had to. Our portions were smaller, our service wasn't as good and the noise level was uncomfortable loud. I had to shout at the person I was sitting next to the whole dinner in order to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 315 reviews are from the Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant reviews archive.
- I'll Be Seeing Ya (Abyssinia) hereHMJFINEDINEDined on 4/22/2014I've been to many fine Ethiopian restaurants in NYC but it's a pleasure to have an great Ethiopian restaurant in my home state not too far from home. I've been to this restaurant several times over the years. I'm pleased to see the atmosphere, service, and food are still excellent.Special Features: