Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
515 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
EthiopianPrice: $30 and under
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mesobrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (973) 655-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian
- Executive Chef: Akberet Mengistu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant of Montclair, NJ is a favorite for both vegans & meat lovers with its authentic Ethiopian food. All of our foods are prepared with imported Ethiopian spices prepared daily. The friendly staff and warm decor makes Mesob the perfect place to relax with family and friends. Our Injera, a delicious sourdough Ethiopian flat bread that you wrap your food with, makes Mesob a favorite with kids, where it’s a treat to “eat with your hands.” (but we also have silverware, if you prefer!)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (29)special occasion (27)romantic (22)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Disappointingdpdc1983Dined on 11/15/2014Wife and I enjoy Ethiopian food and have had it several times (including in Ethiopia, Los Angeles and Houston) so were quite excited to try out Mesob. Nice location and decor however the food itself was quite disappointing, not just the quantity for the price you pay, but the taste. We paid $65 for 3 beef samoosas (ok, nothing special) and the meat platter for 2. The injera bread was not good at all, much too bitter/sour. Quantities were small, 1 lamb portion, 1 chicken portion and 4 beef portions which may sound like a lot but we are talking about maybe 2 table spoons of each. Wife is a cook and estimated that she could make the equivalent for around $15. But ok, so you pay a bit more when you go out, understood, and we would have been ok with the price had it been delicious, or even good. The lamb was good, the others not so much. Helped when not eating it with the injera bread as it's bitter taste tended to over power the spices/flavor of the meat, but to be honest, even without the injera it really was not all that good. Was quite a disappointing experience and would definitely not recommend or go back. Much rather have spent that money on a sushi feast right next door.Special Features:
- A favorite regular spot.HeatherDined on 11/13/2014Great food and service. Lots of vegetarian options. Fun dining experience eating in the Ethiopian style (you get to eat with your hands). The staff is so friendly and helpful, and there is really something for everyone here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies DelightBalannDined on 11/8/2014Fabulous neighborhood gem for something totally different. Friendly vibe, friendly and helpful wait staff. Open late so it's a great treat after a movie. Good for 2 , people as well as groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014When I travel to the area, I have to go to Mesob. The food is wonderful and the staff are so friendly. I recommend trying it.Special Features:
- Great food and staff!Porcelainpotter1Dined on 11/1/2014Not your typical dining experience. Experiencing the tastes of Ethiopia is quite a treat and, most important for me, it's gluten free! I love the Ethiopian bread (made from a different grain) used to scoop up your meal.Special Features:
- DanifamDined on 10/25/2014Both food & service excellent. Our only complaint is that it is much to dark as we had to use the flashlight app on our phones to read our menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memories of EthiopiaKatieDined on 10/18/2014The best Ethiopian food around, along with great service ! When my family visits , we try to make it for dinner, as we lived in Addis Ababa in the late 60's.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodohtheviewDined on 10/15/2014Love the food and amazing flavors! We had a group for dinner and shared a meat sampler and a veggie sampler, which gave us a wonderful variety. My favorite is the Ingudai Tibs!Special Features:
- Experiencing CultureHungry4goodfoodDined on 10/12/2014We have been to Mesob three times and each time the food is wonderful. We always order the platters of meats and vegetables. Watching the wait staff placing the samples of meats and veggies is an experience itself. Not having utensils allows you to slow your pace but also give thought to the food you are eating. We had a young child with us who wanted to try Ethiopian food. She loved the food. What was even better was exposing her to another culture. Oh, let me not forget the best coffee ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- really great experienceleahmDined on 10/4/2014The only complaint about this restaurant is that for some reason (must be acoustics) it is so loud. Otherwise, the food is good, service is good, it has a great atmosphere and its a good date spot. I'd recommend this place for an out of the ordinary date night. You eat with your hands and its BYOB. you're given wipes before and after the meal and its all very well thought out. We really liked the mushroom app and we got the sampler meal for 2 which was perfect for a first time. We got a little of everything. The shrimp, lamb and chicken, and cabbage were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Ethiopian Restaurantjeangel1Dined on 10/3/2014Fantastic for vegetarians and / or carnivores. Hard to find a place where you can get a huge variety of choices without touching meat. This place really fit the bill and the food was out of sight!Special Features:
- Best place in town for dinnerminagiaDined on 10/3/2014as soon as we walked in we were greeted with a big beautiful smile, sat down immediately ( we had reservations) service was prompt and food was amazing. this place is perfect for vegans & vegetarians.Special Features:
- Great placeStaceykDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding food, ambiance, service and location. I love Ethiopian food and this was some of the best I've had. Came here for our 3 year anniversary and it was a perfect overall time. Easy to park close by, super friendly and helpful staff, amazing food. The owner personally greeted each diner and was absolutely lovely. Thanks for a great time Mesob!Special Features:
- Excellent foodWWWWDined on 9/19/2014This is one of my absolute favorite restaurants. The food is amazing. I'm a vegetarian and they have a wide choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Betam Konjo!Brotherman2012Dined on 9/16/2014Haven't been to an Ethiopian retaurant in years. There are a couple of really good ones in New York. Mesob was just as good, if not better than the fare I remembered. I had the Doro Wat and my co-worked had the beef Tibs. My dish was really tasty and the injera was pretty good. It had that little bite real injera has. The waitress (owner?) told me that the injera they serve is a mix of tef and wheat. All in all a very tasty bread that serves as both the plate for the dish and he medium to scoop up the tasty morsels of stewed chicken - sauce and all - and scoop it into my mouth. Good meal, good place and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Ethiopian food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Mesob is truly one of New Jersey's jems. I have been to practically all of the Ethiopian restaurants in Nj and Mesob is by far the best one in the the state of Nj. The food is fresh (not canned) and the Ethiopian coffee is truly authentic. You are really in for a treat when you visit! LOVE this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and different dining experienceTryitDined on 9/12/2014Great food. Parking in the area can be challenging.Special Features:
- A Sublime Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I've been going to Mesob for many years now, and it is without a doubt one of the few restaurants that consistently puts out simply perfect food. Words cannot describe exactly how you will feel when you put this food in your mouth, but you will surely be satisfied!Special Features:
- Amazing foodFoodloverDined on 9/6/2014A great place to eat and a restaurant my family keeps going back to. We are never dissapointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Ethiopan PlacekmkmDined on 8/29/2014We keep coming here for years, this has been one of the favorite places in Montclair for a mildly exotic dinner. The restaurant features a rich ethnic menu, the food is always delicious, the service is classy and overall experience is great. Definitely try the coffee, they roast the beans right before they make it and let you smell them!Special Features:
- DanielleDaniDined on 8/27/2014Great as usual! Can't wait to get back there again!Special Features:
- Good but...srm8VIPDined on 8/27/2014We have been coming here for over 5-6 years now. The quality of food is pretty much consistent, prices have been raised (which is ok) but the portion size has been reduced drastically over the years. Also, this restaurant is definitely no longer $$. It should be changed to $$$ on opentable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go WrongCharStanDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to Mesob I love the food. The atmosphere is nice, but very loud and if you get a table without a spot light directed on it, then it is very dark. Otherwise I love it!Special Features:
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014The service is okay it could be better. I like the food. The restaurant has nice decor. The prices are double for dinner. If you want to try the restaurant go for lunch not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as AlwaysKathyDined on 8/16/2014Mesob never disappoints. I have been coming here for a number of years and went there this past Saturday night because we had a craving for Ethiopian. The meal was outstanding, the 3 of us ate everything put in front of us. We ordered two of the beef dishes and one of the chicken all family style to share which also included 6 vegetable sides. Everything was delicious and flavorful and just an amazing dining experience. Plan to be back here very shortly.Special Features:
- Outstanding serviceRaiRodDined on 8/16/2014This was the first experience Ethiopian food and I must say; "it is amazingly delicious" and the service at Mesob is OUTSTANDING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Great food, fresh ingredients, interesting way if dining. Service excellent - all are friendly and respectfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday CelebrationAnex43VIPDined on 8/15/2014We went for a friend's birthday celebration. The food was great and service excellent. It is really nice to go or a place where everybody takes pride in what they are doing. We will be back many times in the future.Special Features:
- Fantastic FindBooBearDined on 8/14/2014Great place to eat with friends. The menu is so different, it is quite an experience. Love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great . . . all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I've never had a bad experience at Mesob. I'm a vegan, and always have a choice of options that are healthy and delicious! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningGoodfood1Dined on 8/12/2014Comfortable, Fun and delicious! Servers had great recommendations, ambiance was nice and food spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDinnarrenDined on 8/2/2014Dining should be all about the experience. Mesob provides an atmosphere and incredible food served in a way that is meant to be shared - creating a great opportunity for conversation with a friend or loved one. The only real drawback is the noise level. It was very difficult to hear because of the room design and everyone having great conversation. Highly recommend this for couples who like to try new things together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MattDined on 8/1/2014If you are open to trying new types of food this is definitely the place to go.Special Features:
- The following 344 reviews are from the Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Yum!REMC926Dined on 7/25/2014Everything was great! Service, food, friendliness + wonderful. Our table was right by the window which was awesome! Second time at Mesob and there will be a third, fourth, fifth.....:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VegetarianDined on 7/19/2014This is our second time at Mesob. This time we brought another couple with us. We went on Saturday night for dinner. We had a 7:00 reservation and were seated as soon as we arrived. The staff were attentive and very friendly. Three of us had the vegetarian sampler and one had the meat sampler. The food was amazing. We had a wonderful time. We will be back and so will our friends.Special Features:
- Nice Night Out at MesobSuzeDined on 7/19/2014We had a great time dining with our friends at Mesob. The food was very good and the service was wonderful, as was the atmosphere! The almond cake for dessert was a bit of a disappointment thoughSpecial Features:
- Great food...Great atmosphereJeanDined on 7/12/2014Great overall experience....would definitely come again with friends and family.Special Features:
- AwesomesauceJackieDined on 7/3/2014You will not be disappointed going here. Ethiopian food is different and unique and if you are up for it, you will be pleasantly surprised and leave very happy!Special Features:
- Pride And CareAnex43VIPDined on 6/29/2014We were back again, this time with a friend. Great service and delicious food. Served on a platter covered with the traditional Ethiopean flat bread. One of the things we love is being able to eat with our fingers but our friend opted to use a spoon as well. We all had a great time. BTW, they are BYOB.Special Features:
- Ethiopian in MontclairkokoDined on 6/28/2014Good food..legal to see could have been better...our waitress was nice but not attentive when we wanted to pay our bill and leave. By 8pm...it was very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.