407 Broad Street
Bloomfield, NJ 07003Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mesrevesnj.com/
- Phone: (973) 429-4888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Q.
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Wheelchair Access
A word from Mes Reves
Pick up some friends, a nice bottle of wine and join us for dinner at Mes Reves. Our simple French bistro menu offers some of the Chef's favorites including Crispy Sweetbreads, Seared Foie Gras, Nicoise Salad, and a Pan Seared Rack of Lamb. Our friendly staff strives to provide a dining experience that is sure to exceed your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Mes Reves - Best Restaurants in Bloomfield ›
Mes Reves reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (24)romantic (22)good for groups (7)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014The owners are very friendly and so sweet the food is delicious make sure you make a reservationSpecial Features:
- No French FussCindyclhDined on 11/14/2014Was a good choice for 2 couples to spend some time catching up! Never felt rushed from the staff. In fact, on the Friday we were there they were so accommodating when two of us were 30 minutes late for our reservation. Nice menu with moderate amount of choices. Really enjoyed the appetizers of mussels and also the fried calimari salad. Althought the steak frites dish was enjoyable, I would suggest ordering it a little less well than you want so it's not overcooked. A short list of desserts available--nothing that will blow you away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all countsFuzzyDined on 11/12/2014This was our second or third time there. The food was outstanding. My starter of crispy-fried sweetbreads was well-prepared (well-trimmed and well-cooked); my wife's goat-cheese salad was enormous, and nicely studded with cheese, nuts, and dried cranberries. My main was skate, of which I'm particularly fond, and this one was perfectly fresh, and perfectly sauteed. It was accompanied by a few haricots verts, couscous and a tomato filled with delicious sauteed mushrooms. My wife had the hanger steak, which was large and again perfectly prepared. Large enough, in fact, to provide at least a lunch-sized "take-home". And it came with a generous portion of truffled frites. The dessert menu was brief and pretty standard-French-Resto. We skipped desserts in favor of espresso. Service was competent and friendly. I'm stuffy, and I dislike over-familiar waitrons, and these young folks understood that. The place is softly-lighted, and tends to be quiet. We got there at 7PM and there was only one other table occupied; the room filled up about halfway by the time we left. (This was mid-week, btw.) The prices are moderate, by my lights. Before tax and tip, the above meal cost $85. It's BYOB, so that allows for a significant saving. I'd characterize this as a "hidden gem" -- one that I hope attracts enough clientele to keep going . Parking is on the street, and can be a bit of a hassle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatMontclairdesignmomDined on 11/8/2014We took my parents there for a birthday & were looking forward to eating outside Montclair for a change. There's nothing wrong with the place, exactly, just not memorable. My lamb was perfectly cooked but side veggies were mushy & not much flavor. Couscous tastes like what I make from the box. Tried sweetbreads for an app & were looking forward to them as its rare to find them on a menu, but they were woefully under seasoned. My parents had fish & said they enjoyed it but I didnt try them. Hubby had steak that was flavorful. All in all, I won't be venturing back only because there are many better local options.
- Consistently Good FoodJayRDined on 11/8/2014I have eaten at Mes Reves many times over the past several years and have always the great food and friendly, curteous and efficient service. I recommend this restaurant without hesitation to anyone who enjoys food prepared with a french influence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is the keyJamesDined on 11/6/2014Will it be as good the next time? And the time after that? Yes and yes. It's all about not be disappointed when you return for a dinning experience. Mes Reves never disappoints, only ups the game on each return visit. So much so that we booked it for our office Christmas Party in the past to the delight of our employees. Mes Reves is another excuse to visit Bloomfield and the many new restaurants popping up in town. And you can get a parking space too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinner!ChrisDined on 10/21/2014My wife and I had what I would call a perfect anniversary dinner at Mes Reves. The restaurant was small, quiet, and romantic, and was beautifully appointed (especially for a small local restaurant), which was a good impression before the amazing food started to come out. We had scallops and escargot for apps and both were incredibly flavorful. Be sure to have the honey & herb butter with the warm, freshly baked bread while you're at it. The chef clearly creates a seasonal menu, with my wife's duck breast and my pork tenderloin platter having among them numerous autumn colors and flavors on the plates (wild rice, sweet potato puree, brussels sprouts w/smoked bacon, endives). It's BYOB, so don't forget to bring a bottle of wine!Special Features:
- Always a great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014This was our 6th time at Mes Reves, we are never dissapointed. It has a very relaxed feel, and it is a BYOB, which I like. The staff is great, as is the service, and they are very friendly. They never rush you through dinner. Their chocolate souffle, is the best. I do know this if there is something you would like and it is not on menu, ask for it when you make your reservation and if they can get it they will. We have been there for special occasions and with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this local restaurant....ElainethefoodieDined on 10/13/2014We had a mini reunion gathering of several high school girlfriends on a misty Monday evening. They could not have been more gracious. Our food was so delicious that we were eating off of each others plates. When our charming waitress came to remove our dinner plates, they were empty! It is rare for any of us to eat everything on our plates, but this is certainly a testament to the quality of food being served. Several of us had the pork tenderloin accompanied by a sweet potato puree and roasted brussel sprouts. Even my friends who do not eat brussel sprouts loved them! We had ordered chocolate souffles at the begining of our dinner. When they arrived, they were so light I am not sure how they did not float out of their cups...heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerNicoleMarieDined on 10/1/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. Perfect portions to enjoy an entire meal. It's a BYOB place and they never rush you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a good neighborhood choiceEditchefDined on 9/26/2014I am really grateful for a good restaurant in the neighborhood that isn't the typical red sauce restaurant you find in this area. Food was well prepared and nicely served. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gem3togomusselsVIPDined on 9/24/2014we are always happy to dine here, never disapointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I googled French restaurants in the area and this one popped up. After looking at the menu and finding it was a BYOB we decided to try it for our anniversary. Quiet enough to have a decent conversation, great service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was a good bite!twoloonsDined on 9/5/2014We just happened upon Les Reves and had one of the best dinners I can remember. Our service was so personal. When our server discovered that it was out first visit, she took extra care. The chocolate soufflé is well worth ordering. Some of the seating is tight, but that gives it a cosmopolitan atmosphere. We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014We came about 6:45 and left around 9:30, the pace of the service and meal allowed us to chat and eat the whole time. There were enough people around so we were not alone but we had our own space as well. The service was extremely friendly and informative. The food was well prepared and different enough that it was interesting. Overall a very pleasant romantic dinner and evening.Special Features:
- Hidden GemMLK62Dined on 8/9/2014Although unassuming from the outside, Mes Reves is a lovely little find. Wonderful food, attentive and knowledgeable wait staff, and a cozy ambiance.Special Features:
- Great foodfrenchieDined on 8/8/2014Well worth the wait! On a budget, we waited for Bloomfield Restaurant Week to get the special deal. The food was fantastic and the next time we go we won't wait for a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful first visitElizabethVIPDined on 8/7/2014My husband and I recently visited Mes Reves during Bloomfield restaurant week. It was our visit and we will definitely be back! The ambience was intimate and not too noisy. All three courses in the prix-fixe menu were delicious and substantial. The service was wonderful and attentive. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 8/7/2014Everyone in the group tried a different dish and we all loved the quality of food and the fresh ingredients used! The rabbit wash delish...I would have preferred a different side as the black rice was a little too dry for my taste. This is definitely a place we will keep on our list! Some of the patrons seem a little pretentious, I am not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that we were there with our toddler (well behaved foodie in the making :)). I guess some people are not used to kids going to restaurants!
- Great French foodBaileymouseDined on 8/7/2014Nice but the server seemed unfamiliar with some of the food and had trouble explaining it to the customers. Not sure if it was due to a language barrier or not knowing exactly what each dish was, but I found myself describing things to the ladies at the table next to us. When I asked what was in the Crepe Suzette, she said "pancake." The food was great, though. I had the bavette, which was a nice skirt steak, very nicely prepared. My husband had salmon. For the appetizer he had the mushroom tart and I had the escargot. Dessert was Crepes Suzette for him, almond creme brulee for me. All in all it was delightful, I just wish I had known it was BYOB because we missed having some wine with such a fine meal.Special Features:
- Met our expectations!BloomYumDined on 8/6/2014As Bloomfield residents, there is no shortage of amazing nearby restaurants. We've been meaning to try this place for a while and finally head in during Restaurant Week. The service was great, staff was friendly and fast, food was delicious! I can now highly recommend this place and we will definitely be back at some point. I love that even during Restaurant Week, Mes Reves served food on their typical menu-- I hate when restaurants revamp a smaller / less expensive version of regular menu items but not this place! Mes Reves is on point! Escargot, Salmon, and Crepe Suzette = Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014We went for restaurant week so there was a limited menu but something for everyone. The chef is excellent, presentation very nice, attentive and helpful staff and ambiance very nice. It was a bit noisy as you did have to raise your voice a bit to be heard. Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local spotchuia23Dined on 8/5/2014I tried escargot & rabbit for the very time, it was great. service was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBloomfieldEaterDined on 8/5/2014Restaurant week menu. Excellent, busy and delicious.Special Features:
- pierrkhanDined on 8/1/2014This was my fourth time dining at Mes Reves my first time was when the restaurant first opened (4yrs. ago) service was slow (and no escargot). Since then the service has improved and so has the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014The food was delicious, but the service was not on par for the quality of the restaurant. Our waitor was very nice, but he was the only waitor for the entire restaurant. It was impossible for him to provide the quality of service one would expect. However, maybe it was an off night and the other waitors cancelled last minute.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 238 reviews are from the Mes Reves reviews archive.
- My new favorite place!biscuitjuneDined on 7/25/2014We chose this place based on other reviews and we were so impressed! First off, the service was more than outstanding. We were greeted and sat right away, never wanted for anything and even the chef himself came to talk to us when we had a special request (which he happily accomodated). Our food came out promptly and was as beautiful as it was delicious. Everything we ordered was executed perfectly and the chef even brought out a risotto dish for us to taste that he was trying out. We also had our kids with us and we felt very welcomed. Will definitely return very soon!Special Features:
- Superb!LaranyDined on 7/17/2014This was not my first visit to Mes Reves. I love it, not only because the food is beautifully prepared and delicious, because the whole experience makes me feel special, from the waiter to the owner. A great menu and a place to return to time and again.Special Features:
- Dependable bistroNjMama01VIPDined on 7/16/2014As always, the food did not disappoint and we all enjoyed a variety of entrees (skate, salmon, steak au poivre, and duck). The service was a bit slow but we were happy to see the place more crowded than on some previous visits. We'd hate to see this restaurant fil since the menu is great and there are so few French bistro type places in north Jersey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always gracious and comfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/10/2014A real pleasure to dine where the chef takes his work so seriously. We had the steak frites and steak au poivre. Highly recommend both. Plus the lemon bar, a different take on a classic.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014This was our second visit to Mes Reves and we were both disappointed to find that areas we hoped would improve like service and food quality actually declined. The chef/owner has a penchant for hanging out with friends in the front while the clearly inexperienced kitchen staff goof off. We could actually see them leaning on counters and chatting aimlessly. The lack of experience and attention to detail shows everywhere.
- Simply GreatStagecoachDined on 6/11/2014Great food, Great people Great place!!! Cant go wrong. Try the Mussels, better yet try it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- votre rêves se réalise!twinbieVIPDined on 6/7/2014Mes Reves remains a great little neighborhood restaurant to have a quiet dinner for two, or a convivial dinner for 4 or 6. Conversation is possible. The food, service (Lauren is the best!) and ambiance all add up to wonderful evening close to home. Everyone is always friendly and the menu remains interesting with specials that intrigue and delight.Special Features:
- France in BloomfieldCuisinistaVIPDined on 6/6/2014Exquisite French cuisine at non-NYC prices ,plus byo! Foie gras, salade nicoise with tuna tataki, short ribs, skate and desserts are must-haves. France-trained Vietnamese chef owner and his wife are gracious hosts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/31/2014Decided to celebrate our 19th anniversary at Mes Reves. This was not our first time here. Mes Reves is officially our favorite restaurant! Kuan and crew went above and beyond from each special course. This is most certainly an amazing experience all should enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/30/2014We had a nice and quiet meal here. Food was really good and the staff was great. A BYO slightly out of the Montclair crowd but very high qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find3togomusselsVIPDined on 5/27/2014I have eaten at Mes Reves several times and have not been disappointed. A gem in a neighbor hood that does not "get it,"the good food.The early price fixed is really a find and not to be missed.Special Features:
- A wonderful nightEricVIPDined on 5/24/2014Warmly greeted upon arrival and seated immediately. Friendly service all night long. The food was all wonderful - mussels, crispy sweetbreads, pork, skate and the vanilla soufflé for dessert. All in all a wonderful,experience with a very warm staff and an even better selection of delicious food.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyablerestaurantloverDined on 5/21/2014We had a lovely evening. The food was excellent - mussels and cornish hen, and fairly priced. We didn't order desert. The interior was surprisingly attractive, after viewing a less than inviting exterior. Our service was attentive and professional, punctuated by our waiter running half a block to return an umbrella left at table. We'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceBeebop425Dined on 5/19/2014I made reservations on OpenTable and noted it was for a birthday celebration. The inside is simply decorated and feels like a mix of modern and rustic French village. Nicely done! Service was attentive and friendly. I had the Pork Tenderloin and my friend had the Cornish Hen. Both were done to perfection and the sides of Brussel sprouts and mashed potato and puréed sweet potatoes were creamy and flavorful. The chef came out with a complimentary Chocolate Soufflé that was not too heavy or rich....light and flavorful. It is a BYOB and I would recommend to friends and go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.