Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
65-1227 Opelo Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8088856822x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm;
PLEASE NOTE MERRIMAN'S - WAIMEA - BIG ISLAND ARE CURRENTLY NOT SERVING LUNCH ON WEEKENDS
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering the best of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. Please contact us for details!
A word from Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
Located in the heart of the Big Islands farm community is Peter Merriman's original restaurant; Merriman's Waimea. Chef/Owner Peter Merriman is one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine and uses 90% or more of local produce, fish and beef. All dishes are handcrafted to highlight the natural flavors of each menu item. Our award winning wine list has selections for all to enjoy. Merriman's knowledgeable and friendly staff will guide you through a culinary experience you will not forget. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island - Best Restaurants in Kamuela ›
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)special occasion (104)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (54)notable wine list (53)good for groups (27)great for lunch (24)great for brunch (14)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (10)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- LoriDined on 8/30/2014Food, in combination with price was extremely disappointing considering all the rave reviews I have read on this place. The there is no imagination to the menu, which I thought was supposed it highlight a locally grown, farm to table concept. My fish taco was one of the driest, least tasty ones I have ever had at $16 for 2 tacos. $2 happy hour per taco at other establishments were far better! I couldn't believe my eyes when 2 mini pieces of a lime and lemon "wedge" came as a condiment on the plate. Each piece was no larger than my thumb nail...what a joke!!! Very disappointing!!! Wait staff on the other hand was friendly so no complaints there.
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014food was wonderful, service was great. beyond words. enjoyable, & music was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Very disappointing! This was a birthday celebration and I ordered the whole lobster. It came with mashed potatoes (bland) creamed Kale (bland) and asparagus (bland but ok) The lobster was small, and it was under done, stringy and rubbery at the same time. I struggled through half of the tail meat, and sent the other half back to be cooked some more. And there were no apologies from the waitress. There were minimal options for my vegetarian wife. She paid $8.00 for about 8 cut up bland asparagus' and another $8.00 for a very small portion of bland spinach. There was no vegetarian soup. The only soup was cream of mushroom ($9.00 for a cup). For some reason, it was made with chicken stock!
- Outstanding, As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Food and service are always top-notch. The Kalua Pig Quesadilla is a perennial favorite appetizer. My wife had the flawless seared ahi, and I did a lobster/pork special combo that was out of this world. The staff is extremely well-versed in the complicated preparations coming out of the kitchen, and makes informed recommendations after a thoughtful Q&A as to our tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant on Big Island !Noodles1959Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Merriman's on the last day of our vacation. It was a perfect dinner to have on the very last day. The stuffs were very friendly and food was excellent as always. The only negative thing was that we were placed at the table for really four people despite the fact that we were a party of five. So it was quite tight and there were not much space once we had all foods and many glasses on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great serviceOanaVIPDined on 8/18/2014This place is always busy at dinner time so reservations are a must. This was our second visit this year and I think I enjoyed the food more this time than the last time. The appetizer was the ravioli and it was delicious, the wine was good and our entree was very good. The server was very attentive and we were made to feel special. It was a great evening out on our last night of vacation.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceAlohaDined on 8/18/2014The freshest locally grown salad ingredients, great sauces, unusual combinations, yummy desserts. This place has been great for 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014The best food I have ever had...enough said. If you are looking for locally sourced, authentic Hawaiian food, there is no better place on the island.Special Features:
- ExcellentWillyDined on 8/17/2014Merriman's never disappoints! The food, service and wine list are great.Special Features:
- Fine Dining Worth The Drive!BPK2Dined on 8/16/201440 miles from Kailua Kona is Weimea, the location of Merriman's, a fine dining establishment that offers superb service in a relaxed atmosphere to complement an awesome menu and wine list. Truly a hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingNothereVIPDined on 8/15/2014Still Amazing after 25 years. Great Food, Wonderful Service a gem made possible by those who work there.Special Features:
- AmazingLuckyDined on 8/5/2014The food was incredible. Best dinner we had I the big island. We would highly recommend . A little pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and IngredientsArtie808VIPDined on 8/3/2014The resturant is well known for its use of the local ingredients. Most of the restaurants in Hawaii is over salted their food, but my friend and I finally experienced well prepared cuisines with the right balance of flavors and ingredients.Special Features:
- lipsmaxinDined on 8/1/2014We ate there twice last week while on the Kona coast and found, once again, the food was delicious and perfectly done and the service pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing findConcertGoerDined on 7/31/2014If you enjoy excellent food that is beautifully prepared with excellent service there is nothing more I can add. Trust me; you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandin experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014we chose Merriman's for our father's birthdaly celebration and everything was more than expected. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service, but...belladellaDined on 7/26/2014Food and service were both excellent but unfortunately, the dining room is not conducive to having a reasonably quiet conversation at your table. Perhaps this was due to a large party of adults and children in the center of the small venue. With such an upscale and sophisticated menu, we felt it was inappropriate to have young children in the dining room during the dinner hour. Brunch and lunch, on the other hand, would have perfectly fine for young diners.Special Features:
- cagirlDined on 7/24/2014the hamburger was the best I ever had and everyone else thought their dish was fantastic. The desserts were specialSpecial Features:
- Tgs12178Dined on 7/22/2014Exceptional. Great pairing of perfect favors with friendly, flawless service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Big Island MustMemlouiseVIPDined on 7/21/2014Wherever you plan to spend your Big Island vacation, try to dine at Merriman's. This is the finest dining we've found on the Big Island, tucked away in Waimea. Everything is delicious - prepared with exquisite care and detail, making craft of cooking with locally available fish, meats and produce.Special Features:
- luv2eathereDined on 7/18/2014As usual, the food was tasty as always. It's surprising that the portions are small but they still fill you up. But, on this visit, we had a great service person in Dayna. When my wife's ling hing margarita came, it was disappointing so Dayna insisted that we sent it back with her so that the bartender could re-do it. When she brought it back, it was better but didn't taste as good as other LH Margaritas from other food establishments so again Dayna insisted on taking it back to have it re-done. When she returned back to us the third time, it was better but not what we had expected from a restaurant like Merriman's but we felf that this was probably the best that could be done.Special Features:
- Great foodwaysideDined on 7/17/2014My friends from Japan thought the food was better than the many eateries they have tried in Honolulu. Great local food. Excellent service. A real find fro travelers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our 2nd Visit Wasn't As MemorableAFamilyofFoodiesVIPDined on 7/16/2014We love to dine at James Beard nominated restaurants. Last summer we dined at Merriman's for the first time. Amazing food, service was spot-on, the dining room was energetic, but not noisy. We returned this week with our entire family, a party of 5. Because of our party's size, we were placed in a small alcove off the main dining room with only 4 other tables. No energy. Our second issue involved the server, who was good at presenting the food options, but his personality was a tad odd. The food was 5-star again, but we didn't experience the same magic. When we are having a great meal, we usually order dessert and an after-dinner drink, we did not this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014My appetizer was great but my entree was average. The service seemed a little unprofessional, like it was our waiter's first night on the job.Special Features:
- Sadly not good!NomoreDined on 7/15/2014We have been going to Merriman's for over 7 years and look forward to eating there several times each year we visit the Big Island. This year the food was well below par. Steak was tasteless. Fish was dry. Vegetables were over cooked. Needless to say we only ate there once this trip, no need to go back as food was not worth the prices. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Fantastic food – too noisy!KonabobVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have been going to Merriman's since you opened 25 years ago. Clearly There are new and innovative items on the menu that we thoroughly enjoyed. We wish there was something you could do to lower the noise levels when the restaurant is full. The noise level is a nonstop roar – even the wait staff has to yell to tell you specials, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperiorHowardVIPDined on 7/10/2014Merriman's set the standard for service and food. If these people developed more and expanded, they would destroy their competition. Can't be beat. Too bad it's only available in this location.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealSimonDined on 7/8/2014A fantastic restaurant with innovative use of local products delivered flawlessly by a front and back of house team of people that care passionately about what they do. Our server Jen was a 10 year veteran of Merrimans, and it was a delight to hear her depth of knowledge on the food and see a really first class wait staff in action. Really exquisite meal which has been the highlight of this Hawaii trip- Bravo Merrimans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local foodYummiesDined on 7/8/2014A favorite of ours when we come visit. We love how they use all local ingredients. Atmosphere is nice and wait staff is always friendly.Special Features:
- So Ono!MinouDined on 7/7/2014Took my parents and my son, who is a very picky eater. My lobster was sweet and tender, dad and the boy's steaks were well-seasoned, tender, and juicy, and mom loved her macadamia crusted monchong. She requested steamed white rice instead of the black forbidden rice and they were very gracious in accommodating her. Pacing was just right. Desserts were excellent, we split the chocolate one and the creme brûlée. Everything we ate was delicious; we'd be very tempted to order the same things again the next time we're there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaiian StyleNahenaheDined on 7/6/2014Brunch was very tasty and the service was pleasant. So pleasant that it included our waitress dancing an impromptu hula for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing restaurantPescatarianDined on 6/30/2014This was definitely the best dinner we had in Hawaii. Everything is excellent (except the bathrooms!). One of their innovations is the ability to order half-orders of entrees, if you are not very hungry, or half-orders of two things so you don't have to choose.What a great idea. Between our party of five, we had all the fish choices. I loved the ahi, but all were excellent. One of us had the filet mignon and gobbled up every bite. The prices were no higher than many other restaurants in Hawaii of far lower quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Portions NOT WORTH THE PRICE!WorththepriceDined on 6/29/2014For the total price we spent for lunch, we came out still hungry. The only thing that my party enjoyed was the fish burger. The beet salad was too small and the fish taco was just OK.Special Features:
- Consistently greattravelerVIPDined on 6/27/2014The service was fantastic. Our server, Nikki, helped us with the menu to find choices that had no garlic. She even had the chef modify the vegetable so that it would not have garlic. The food was very good, particularly the mongchong. When we wanted something light for dessert, she offered us fresh Waimea strawberries that were not on the menu. All is all, an outstanding evening.Special Features:
- Farm to Table at it's Finest!TMSkiDined on 6/27/2014Spectacular food served in a warm inviting atmosphere. Service was great. We had the Beet Salad & Quesadilla to start both were exceptional. Entrees we had Meatloaf Sandwich, Grass Fed Burger, Short Ribs, Pork Saifun & Grilled Fish. The dishes were executed well and flavors were spot on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for the special occasionrmdrocksDined on 6/24/2014Merriman's is consistently awesome. My husband had the filet and it was cooked to perfection. I had the 3-course "What's Fresh" and it lived up to its name. I wish I could remember all the ingredients, but we got into lively discussions about the World Cup with our server, a darling young woman from Brazil. Made the event fun.Special Features:
- Incredible Dining ExperienceMemeVIPDined on 6/22/2014Yet another absolutely wonderful dinner. The food is outstanding. I had the special Uku & Kauai prawns with a house made pappardelle miso infused pasta with a tomato ragout. Amazing! My first course Hirabara Lettuce Salad with Goat Cheese was perfect. Dressed perfectly. My bf had the lamb rib special appetizer and the pork entree. He loved it! The pineapple bread pudding with coconut ice cream is fabulous. A fantastic way to end a meal. Service was good. Attentive and quick. Wine flights are always incredible. Zach Sato is certainly an amazing Chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special restaurantdrbshulVIPDined on 6/20/2014Perfectly prepared all locally sourced food(I had the local farm raised lobster) in a very inviting and warm environment. Ask for Dylan(sp), our server was one of a kind-quirky, very knowledgeable, appears to love what he does which makes the experience all the more exciting. A must try and worth the drive from anywhere on the island.Special Features:
- PamBDined on 6/19/2014Best meal we have had for a long time. Great sourced ingrediants, cooked well and very interseting combonations...will be back.Special Features:
- Don't miss it.FoodisgoodVIPDined on 6/18/2014Yes, the space is a little dated. But go there for the food and you will get it. Relaxed Hawaii at its best.Special Features: