Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
65-1227 Opelo Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 885-6822
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm;
PLEASE NOTE MERRIMAN'S - WAIMEA - BIG ISLAND ARE CURRENTLY NOT SERVING LUNCH ON WEEKENDS
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering the best of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. Please contact us for details!
A word from Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
Located in the heart of the Big Islands farm community is Peter Merriman's original restaurant; Merriman's Waimea. Chef/Owner Peter Merriman is one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine and uses 90% or more of local produce, fish and beef. All dishes are handcrafted to highlight the natural flavors of each menu item. Our award winning wine list has selections for all to enjoy. Merriman's knowledgeable and friendly staff will guide you through a culinary experience you will not forget. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island - Best Restaurants in Kamuela ›
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (112)notable wine list (63)neighborhood gem (59)romantic (57)good for groups (31)great for lunch (22)hot spot (20)kid-friendly (13)great for brunch (7)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Food and Service Excellent. Noise level loudTKennedyDined on 11/18/2014Dined with my wife on vacation. The food and service were excellent. However the particular nite we were there the music was turned up way too loud and we felt we had to shout over it. The table next to us even commented on it to their server. Don't let that keep you from trying Merriman's as that is an easy thing to fix and their food and service were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2014Local beef was delicious. Wish they had additional cuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The gem of WaimeaGBennettDined on 11/15/2014Having traveled world-wide, Merriman's in Waimea still stands as one of my all-time favorites. The service is impeccable, the menu selection great, and the food superb. Their reputation in Hawaii and beyond is well-deserved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Merrimens is always a special treatlavagrrlDined on 11/14/2014Outstanding service, locally grown foods, attention to detail in the recipes and presentation, great spot for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbCherri448Dined on 11/10/2014I can't say enough wonderful comments about this "fine" dining experience. I had the most delightful Birthday dinner which was delicious and the staff were so attentive. I would never hesitate to return and my husband would agree to these comments as well. The selection of entrees are very good and the specials featurned for the night were equally interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tops in hawaiiOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2014I cherish every opportunity to visit Merriman. I had been going there since it opened and recommend it frequently. Foods off the charts. Service always outstanding. I could not envision a trip to the big Island without a Merriman stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdithEdithVIPDined on 11/8/2014We dined here in the past, and this time food was as great, service as excellent. Our Waite staff was friendly, professional. Totally enjoyed the fish sandwich as well as fish tacos. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Island BestDjhjVIPDined on 11/7/2014Merriman's is a gem. Everything was outstanding. From the homemade macadamia nut pesto pasta appetizer to the surf and turf to the coconut creme brulee. There are many reasons I would come to the Big Island. If none of the other attractions existed, Merriman's alone would be worth the trip. Hanna our server was also outstanding.Special Features:
- Waimea WowOuiniVIPDined on 11/7/2014Well worth the trip from Kohala resorts up the hill to Waimea . After search for parking space and waiting for 25 minutes for reserved table to open up (a party of about 20 was an apparent reason for the delay for many if us waiting) and after some confusion as to who would wait on our table, our designated waiter arrived and was superb, knowledgeable and attentive. Then things turned great with a meal from beginning to end that was consistently innovative and well prepared. This is a staple on our Big Island trips A bit expensive but a must stop experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEricDined on 11/6/2014Merriman's regular menu items are very good, but their true gems are the nightly specials. The service was exactly perfect.Special Features:
- Always a treasured night outOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2014We were here 4 years ago and had a magical evening. Now we returned and again experience the excellence of service as well as the amazing food. You can't get this anywhere else. The farm to table food with fresh Hawaiian goods makes for a fantastic experience. Each bite is good. Down to the smallest tomato.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveRebolishVIPDined on 11/3/2014We made a special trip to wamea to eat here and it was definitely worth the trip. The scenery on the way was an added bonus. The food was amazing. The only thing we were not crazy about was the filet we had. We both had it prepared two different ways and both we're not good. Very tough and chewy. The quesadilla and kale salad were amazing as was the chocolate cake for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best tomatoesJudgeJoeVIPDined on 11/2/2014We revised Merriman's after a two-year lapse and it was as great as recalled. The steak was perfect, and the tomatoes are so good that they are the reason we will return every time we are on the Big Island!Special Features:
- Always a specail treatChasDined on 11/2/2014Merriman's is our favorite restaurant in world...not just in Hawaii. The food is so inspiring and unique. We would travel thousands of miles to visit Waimea and Merriman's. We've been coming here for over 23 years and would recommend it to anyone, and always do.Special Features:
- Always Great!FoodieDined on 11/1/2014Wonderful food, and great service! We always make a point of going to Merriman's when we visit The Big Island, and we are never disappointed and always delighted.Special Features:
- Cold foodGozerorDined on 11/1/2014Food arrived cold, could see our entrees sitting up on service counter for 5 minutes before our food was delivered. My soup came 1 minute before our entrees were delivered. Couldn't someone serve soup sooner and food right when it's prepared?Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2014This was our last dinner wrapping up a 2 week trip and it was the best. The service was excellent and the food was amazing. This is a must go when you are looking for a great place to have dinner. The only down side was that someone was inconsiderate and brought their crying toddler- not the restaurants fault but this is not a restaurant for children. Has the fillet and lobster- both were melt in your mouth with fresh ingrediants.Special Features:
- Delicious!BeltmanDined on 10/30/2014Excellent steak, prepared to perfection, fresh locally grown salad, and a chocolate dessert to please the most particular! Don't miss the opportunity to dine here when on the Big Island.Special Features:
- Wonderful lunchManhattanVIPDined on 10/30/2014Of all the Hawaiian restaurants we dined at during our visit from New York City, Merriman's in Waimea felt to us like the most authentic, local and charming place. The food was outstanding and the service was excellent. The restaurant had the feel of a cozy living room, where locals were laughing and having a good time, enjoying delicious food & great wine, and one another's company. Our impression was that we were the only tourists in the restaurant at the time, yet we didn't feel like outsiders / out-of-towners at all but instead like people that were having a nice (and BTW, very inexpensive) meal amongst friends in a very happy place. If you come to Waimea, you must dine here, otherwise you miss out BIG TIME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of few good restaurants . . .ComanchepilotVIPDined on 10/29/2014The Big Island has a lot of places to eat - most of them are tourist quality because, after all, who cares? They are likely never going to see these people again. Restaurants live and die on repeat diners - of which on a resort island prob are few and far between. The food at the Merrimans on Kauai is better - oddly enough. The choices were just that much better - and the food quality that much higher. The food here was good - rated very good - yet it was missing some little thing - my potatoes were ok - they were not made with cream or sour cream - a little missing detail. The Waimea green beans were very tasty - all three of them. Oddly, no horse radish garnish. If you are going to charge $35 for a steak, go buy and grate some.
- Good Meal&Stafflfunfan2013Dined on 10/29/2014Especially Ahi dishes and chicken fried rice was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it used to be...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/28/2014Just finished dinner this evening, and it was clear to all of us: the restaurant isn't what it used to be. The flavors were not very well defined, and my dish--the pork--was just ok, even though our waiter highly recommended the dish. It's too bad, because we have had some terrific meals at Merrimans in the past, but we won't be returning for some time, or until Open Table reviewers signal that the restaurant is back to the high standards that made it a favorite.Special Features:
- Wanted to love it....BobbyDined on 10/26/2014Service was attentive, friendly and approachable. The quality of dinner was hit and miss. Over ripe vegetables and the gamey tasting lamb were the off points but the prawns and the filet were perfect. We will come back and give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strongeatingwellDined on 10/26/2014We've been coming to Merrimans for 15 years and it never fails to satisfy. Food and service are always the best to be had on the Big Island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner in the Island!MLWTDined on 10/25/2014We loved it so much, we went back for a second time while on our honeymoon. Took friends both times and they raved!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as expectationsWaveriderDined on 10/23/2014Food was OK, but not as good as expected. Monchong was over cooked and lamb didn't have a lot of taste to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- piattoDined on 10/21/2014Our table at a window looking out onto the herb garden and listening to the water fountain was like an appetizer. Loved the fact that we could open the window and feel the cool breeze too. Our waiter was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDallasJVIPDined on 10/15/2014After eating at mediocre hotel restaurants, Merriman's was a wonderful find. It is a bit of a drive but well worth it. Dinner was amazing, ingredients were fresh, local and well used to create amazing flavorful dishes. The special surf and turf appetizer was amazing. The fresh fish and monching were delicious. The bread pudding was a cross between pineapple upside down cake and a cobbler- so good. Like other reviewers, we are sorry we didn't find this sooner on our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dining experienceRandBDined on 10/14/2014Batting 1.000, 4 for 4..... Another incredible evening. My wife had the chili prawn appetizer and leg of lamb. I had the Ahi poke and pink snapper. paired with a bottle of Darioush Cabernet..... and pampered by Dylan. We could not have had a better evening Five stars+Special Features:
- N8MDDined on 10/12/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. Incredible service. I can't speak highly enough of my evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always go here when we are in KonaHKLCVIPDined on 10/12/2014We don't go to the Big Island very often, but if we are ever in Kona, we make the 40-minute trek to Waimea to eat here. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Hawaii. They started farm to table dining before the term was invented. The quality of the food was outstanding, and the service was very good for how busy they were. My only complaint was that food was a little slow coming out, but then again, I didn't realize we picked the weekend of the Ironman to visit:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Everything was fantastic! We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceANguyen07Dined on 10/10/2014The food was great and I loved my waiter. He was very knowledgable of everything on the menu and kept me and my friend entertained throughout our meal as he described how each dish was prepared. All around friendly and great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed resultsgone2eatDined on 10/3/2014Service was excellent, wife ordered lamb which was great. I had ahi tuna and it was served with a very bland Wasabi which did nothing to enhance the meal. As a result, my meal was disappointing.
- HeadshrinkerHeadshrinkerDined on 10/1/2014Great food and great service. Went beyond the call of duty to help my wife who had a problem and assisted in taking her to the hospital. Nothing to do with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First StopprobblumDined on 9/30/2014My Wife is a vegan while I am not. Merriman's always has interesting choices for vegan/vegetarian diets for all the courses served. But to be honest, my Wife was happiest when she asked if the Chef had any ideas for her. For the meat eater; the fresh fish special was exceptional, and exactly what I was looking for having just arrived in Hawaii. Try not to fill up on the wonderful fresh bread. The cocktails from the bar are inventive so don't be shy; the wine list is extensive. Merriman's is not inexpensive but well worth it if you value this type of restaurant. Collect the car, drop the top, and enjoy the winding drive up the mountain to Waimea. Enjoy the atmosphere of a fine local restaurant, you will truly be in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MahaloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014We love Merrimans Waimea and go at least twice a year for our birthdays. We are never disappointed and our last experience was no exception. Amazing locally sourced food and the most professional waitstaff on the island, who also exude aloha through their fine dining demeanor. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Our waitress, Emi, was beyond helpful and gave us perfect service. She deserves a raise!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OenophileVIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent, most the food was outstanding. The filet was so-so, very tender, but not much flavor and slightly over cooked from what O ordered. Did the duo plate so the filet was half the portion and cooked too long for that small of a piece.Special Features:
- A must when on the Big IslandcleoanddeoDined on 9/25/2014Merriman's is outstanding...period! The food, the service, the wine selection, they have it all. My only regret is that my husband and I have been going to the Big Island for many years and this was our first time to dine at Merriman's. What a mistake that was. But the good news is we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodricksDined on 9/22/2014The food was outstanding. The service was good; our waiter was very knowledgeble about the food and the preparation. There were two negatives: (1) the supposedly "medium" steak was too red for my wife, who likes here meat well cooked (maybe she should have asked for well-done), (2) we were seated at a table in a little nook at the back of the restaurant, next to the wait station. To be fair, we didn't complain about either one of these things - I'm sure they could have been rectified had we said something. Otherwise, this was an excellent dining experience - well worth the 45 minute drive. Strongly recommended.Special Features: