Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
65-1227 Opelo Rd
Kamuela, HI 96743Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8088856822x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm;
PLEASE NOTE MERRIMAN'S - WAIMEA - BIG ISLAND ARE CURRENTLY NOT SERVING LUNCH ON WEEKENDS
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman
- Dress Code: Resort Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Offering the best of Hawaii Regional Cuisine. Please contact us for details!
A word from Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island
Located in the heart of the Big Islands farm community is Peter Merriman's original restaurant; Merriman's Waimea. Chef/Owner Peter Merriman is one of the founders of Hawaii Regional Cuisine and uses 90% or more of local produce, fish and beef. All dishes are handcrafted to highlight the natural flavors of each menu item. Our award winning wine list has selections for all to enjoy. Merriman's knowledgeable and friendly staff will guide you through a culinary experience you will not forget. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island - Best Restaurants in Kamuela ›
Merriman's – Waimea – Big Island reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (101)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (53)notable wine list (50)good for groups (30)great for lunch (23)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (14)great for brunch (10)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014Our table at a window looking out onto the herb garden and listening to the water fountain was like an appetizer. Loved the fact that we could open the window and feel the cool breeze too. Our waiter was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDallasJVIPDined on 10/15/2014After eating at mediocre hotel restaurants, Merriman's was a wonderful find. It is a bit of a drive but well worth it. Dinner was amazing, ingredients were fresh, local and well used to create amazing flavorful dishes. The special surf and turf appetizer was amazing. The fresh fish and monching were delicious. The bread pudding was a cross between pineapple upside down cake and a cobbler- so good. Like other reviewers, we are sorry we didn't find this sooner on our visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great dining experienceRandBDined on 10/14/2014Batting 1.000, 4 for 4..... Another incredible evening. My wife had the chili prawn appetizer and leg of lamb. I had the Ahi poke and pink snapper. paired with a bottle of Darioush Cabernet..... and pampered by Dylan. We could not have had a better evening Five stars+Special Features:
- N8MDDined on 10/12/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. Incredible service. I can't speak highly enough of my evening there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always go here when we are in KonaHKLCVIPDined on 10/12/2014We don't go to the Big Island very often, but if we are ever in Kona, we make the 40-minute trek to Waimea to eat here. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Hawaii. They started farm to table dining before the term was invented. The quality of the food was outstanding, and the service was very good for how busy they were. My only complaint was that food was a little slow coming out, but then again, I didn't realize we picked the weekend of the Ironman to visit:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Everything was fantastic! We will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceANguyen07Dined on 10/10/2014The food was great and I loved my waiter. He was very knowledgable of everything on the menu and kept me and my friend entertained throughout our meal as he described how each dish was prepared. All around friendly and great place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed resultsgone2eatDined on 10/3/2014Service was excellent, wife ordered lamb which was great. I had ahi tuna and it was served with a very bland Wasabi which did nothing to enhance the meal. As a result, my meal was disappointing.
- HeadshrinkerHeadshrinkerDined on 10/1/2014Great food and great service. Went beyond the call of duty to help my wife who had a problem and assisted in taking her to the hospital. Nothing to do with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First StopprobblumDined on 9/30/2014My Wife is a vegan while I am not. Merriman's always has interesting choices for vegan/vegetarian diets for all the courses served. But to be honest, my Wife was happiest when she asked if the Chef had any ideas for her. For the meat eater; the fresh fish special was exceptional, and exactly what I was looking for having just arrived in Hawaii. Try not to fill up on the wonderful fresh bread. The cocktails from the bar are inventive so don't be shy; the wine list is extensive. Merriman's is not inexpensive but well worth it if you value this type of restaurant. Collect the car, drop the top, and enjoy the winding drive up the mountain to Waimea. Enjoy the atmosphere of a fine local restaurant, you will truly be in Hawaii.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MahaloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014We love Merrimans Waimea and go at least twice a year for our birthdays. We are never disappointed and our last experience was no exception. Amazing locally sourced food and the most professional waitstaff on the island, who also exude aloha through their fine dining demeanor. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Our waitress, Emi, was beyond helpful and gave us perfect service. She deserves a raise!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OenophileVIPDined on 9/26/2014Service was excellent, most the food was outstanding. The filet was so-so, very tender, but not much flavor and slightly over cooked from what O ordered. Did the duo plate so the filet was half the portion and cooked too long for that small of a piece.Special Features:
- A must when on the Big IslandcleoanddeoDined on 9/25/2014Merriman's is outstanding...period! The food, the service, the wine selection, they have it all. My only regret is that my husband and I have been going to the Big Island for many years and this was our first time to dine at Merriman's. What a mistake that was. But the good news is we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodricksDined on 9/22/2014The food was outstanding. The service was good; our waiter was very knowledgeble about the food and the preparation. There were two negatives: (1) the supposedly "medium" steak was too red for my wife, who likes here meat well cooked (maybe she should have asked for well-done), (2) we were seated at a table in a little nook at the back of the restaurant, next to the wait station. To be fair, we didn't complain about either one of these things - I'm sure they could have been rectified had we said something. Otherwise, this was an excellent dining experience - well worth the 45 minute drive. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- A Must-Go RestaurantArtie808VIPDined on 9/20/2014Merriman's - Waimea definitely is a place to go to enjoy a nice meal. The quality of the food and the preparation is consistent. It has become a must-go whenever I visit Kona.Special Features:
- luv2eathereDined on 9/20/2014Food was not as good as previous visits. Everything else was okay. Disappointing to say the least. We had the Floritene (?) Benedict and sad to say, we 've tasted better at other restaurants not as highly regarded as Merriman's. Also, the brunch/lunch menu selections are not as good as the regular lunch menu (this was our first brunch luncheon). We'll probably come back and give Merriman's one more try and hopefully we won't be disappointed again because this is our "go-to" place that we bring our visiting guests to the Big Island.Special Features:
- Outstanding!jrsandiegoVIPDined on 9/18/2014Amazing food and service! Outstanding and a must if you want to enjoy amazing farm to table food!Special Features:
- Best dinner on the islandSurfandturfDined on 9/14/2014Went here for our last night of our honeymoon and the entire experience was incredible. Best dinner we had between Oahu, Maui, and the big island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip brunchkrislarsVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have had excellent dinners at Merriman's, but brunch was a big disappointment. The menu was neither breakfast nor lunch, and completely uninspired. Worse, the simple egg benedicts were not well executed. The ham was tough and tasteless, and the potatoes were undercooked in the middle. The service was uneven and spotty. Different tables were given different information about the specials and only one of our two drink orders was filled. Much better daylight food abounds on the Big Island; skip brunch here.
- Awesome alwaysBigIsleFoodieDined on 9/9/2014We've been fans of Merriman's for many many years now. Recent dinner was to entertain friends visiting from Los Angeles. This was their first time at Merriman's (second visit to Bis Island) and they were extremely impressed by the food, service and ambiance at Merriman's. They were very glad to we took them to eat there and said it was one of their best dining experiences EVER. We love Merriman's because the preparations are consistent: always top notch execution. Cannot say enough about this place. I'm so glad they are here---so many restaurants come and go on this island but Merriman's has managed to become an institution known for excellence. It's such a joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner against a wall...2ducksDined on 9/6/2014We made reservations at Merriman's weeks in advance and were greatly looking forward to the experience. There was a place on the reservation form to write in special requests. I asked for a dessert. They didn't have it, but there was no response to the form either... Why ask for requests if you only plan to ignore them? When we arrived, we were placed at a table far away from the main room for four against a wall without a window view. We could've complained, but that is not our style. The server was nice, but the food was good but not worth the $$$$. We were not there to eat cheaply, we bought wine with our dinners, and 2 desserts as well, but the quality did not match the price. Next time we will drive to Kona.
- Great Big Island RestaurantCharlieDined on 9/6/2014Merriman's in Waimea, HI is always a must event for us whenever we visit the Big Island. You can't pick anything but a great entree' and the service is always top shelf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant we foundappreciativedinerDined on 9/5/2014The Big Island is full of ordinary restaurants that serve acceptable, but far from excellent, food. The norm is what you would expect from a large chain that caters to shopping center diners. Merriman's is different. It is really good. The atmosphere is superb, the menu is varied and sophisticated, the wine list is excellent, and the food is absolutely outstanding. Prices are not out of line, and you get real value here. This restaurant could hold its own in any major city. This was the best restaurant we found, by a wide margin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the RoughManinblackDined on 9/4/2014In what one might call a drive through town in Waimea is Merriman's. Our experience there was near perfect. Every dish we had was delicious, the waitress was bubbly and fun. I asked the internet for the best restaurant on the big island and I was not disappointed in the slightest. I would caution any visitors that your mileage may vary. With so many day's catch, or locally sourced items, and so many 'chef's preparation' selections it gives the kitchen great freedom to cook up whatever they feel like. Your dish that day could be less than perfect. But with so many 5 star ratings it would seem that is not something you should fear.Special Features:
- dacashvtDined on 9/3/2014Good food, but not as impressive as the Poipu location. Last time, we went for lunch and I think that's more worth it. I can't remember the name of the drink I got, but it had lavender in it and it was way too sweet. Drinks can be hit or miss. The actual restaurant could use a bit of a facelift as well.Special Features:
- LoriDined on 8/30/2014Food, in combination with price was extremely disappointing considering all the rave reviews I have read on this place. The there is no imagination to the menu, which I thought was supposed it highlight a locally grown, farm to table concept. My fish taco was one of the driest, least tasty ones I have ever had at $16 for 2 tacos. $2 happy hour per taco at other establishments were far better! I couldn't believe my eyes when 2 mini pieces of a lime and lemon "wedge" came as a condiment on the plate. Each piece was no larger than my thumb nail...what a joke!!! Very disappointing!!! Wait staff on the other hand was friendly so no complaints there.
- fantasticopaboyDined on 8/29/2014food was wonderful, service was great. beyond words. enjoyable, & music was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2014Very disappointing! This was a birthday celebration and I ordered the whole lobster. It came with mashed potatoes (bland) creamed Kale (bland) and asparagus (bland but ok) The lobster was small, and it was under done, stringy and rubbery at the same time. I struggled through half of the tail meat, and sent the other half back to be cooked some more. And there were no apologies from the waitress. There were minimal options for my vegetarian wife. She paid $8.00 for about 8 cut up bland asparagus' and another $8.00 for a very small portion of bland spinach. There was no vegetarian soup. The only soup was cream of mushroom ($9.00 for a cup). For some reason, it was made with chicken stock!
- Outstanding, As AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Food and service are always top-notch. The Kalua Pig Quesadilla is a perennial favorite appetizer. My wife had the flawless seared ahi, and I did a lobster/pork special combo that was out of this world. The staff is extremely well-versed in the complicated preparations coming out of the kitchen, and makes informed recommendations after a thoughtful Q&A as to our tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Merriman's locationpkklintoDined on 8/24/2014Have been to all of Peter Merriman's restaurants except for the location in Maui, but this is his best by far. Not in a touristy location, but it's a gem. Everything from parking to dessert was amazing. Staff was very informative & well trained. Will definitely make it a point to eat here again. Never disappointed with a Peter Merriman restaurant.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant on Big Island !Noodles1959Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Merriman's on the last day of our vacation. It was a perfect dinner to have on the very last day. The stuffs were very friendly and food was excellent as always. The only negative thing was that we were placed at the table for really four people despite the fact that we were a party of five. So it was quite tight and there were not much space once we had all foods and many glasses on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and great serviceOanaVIPDined on 8/18/2014This place is always busy at dinner time so reservations are a must. This was our second visit this year and I think I enjoyed the food more this time than the last time. The appetizer was the ravioli and it was delicious, the wine was good and our entree was very good. The server was very attentive and we were made to feel special. It was a great evening out on our last night of vacation.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceAlohaDined on 8/18/2014The freshest locally grown salad ingredients, great sauces, unusual combinations, yummy desserts. This place has been great for 25 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014The best food I have ever had...enough said. If you are looking for locally sourced, authentic Hawaiian food, there is no better place on the island.Special Features:
- ExcellentWillyDined on 8/17/2014Merriman's never disappoints! The food, service and wine list are great.Special Features:
- Fine Dining Worth The Drive!BPK2Dined on 8/16/201440 miles from Kailua Kona is Weimea, the location of Merriman's, a fine dining establishment that offers superb service in a relaxed atmosphere to complement an awesome menu and wine list. Truly a hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely AmazingNothereVIPDined on 8/15/2014Still Amazing after 25 years. Great Food, Wonderful Service a gem made possible by those who work there.Special Features:
- AmazingLuckyDined on 8/5/2014The food was incredible. Best dinner we had I the big island. We would highly recommend . A little pricey but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and IngredientsArtie808VIPDined on 8/3/2014The resturant is well known for its use of the local ingredients. Most of the restaurants in Hawaii is over salted their food, but my friend and I finally experienced well prepared cuisines with the right balance of flavors and ingredients.Special Features:
- lipsmaxinDined on 8/1/2014We ate there twice last week while on the Kona coast and found, once again, the food was delicious and perfectly done and the service pleasant and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.