Merriman's - Poipu
2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka Street #G-149
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Poipu
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: (808) 742-8385
- Hours of Operation:
Fish House: Dinner Daily from 5:30pm-9:00pm (Reservations Recommended)
Gourmet Pizzas & Burgers: Lunch/Dinner Daily from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Arriola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are able to do group events at the restaurant or off premise. Call us and we will be happy to provide for your function.
- Private Party Facilities: We can handle small group functions up to 30 people or the restaurant is available to be bought out for the evening seats up to 110.
- Private Party Contact: Kristina Colburn 8087428385
- Entertainment: Merriman's Gourmet Pizza & Burgers : Every Wednesdays 6-8pm
Merriman's Fish House: Every Friday 6-8pm
- Special Events: Feel free to contact Kristina via email email@example.com for more information on our special event offers.
For any buyout inquiries, please contact Danielle Kuck at 808-446-8043
A word from Merriman's - Poipu
Chef-Owner Peter Merriman has brought his unique style of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine served in a casual yet elegant setting of Old Hawaii Plantation. A pioneer in the "Farm to Table" concept, Peter serves only the freshest products, at least 90% of which are locally grown or caught, using only sustainable methods. His international menu items are prepared in a manner that highlights the natural flavors of these fresh, local foods. Located in Poipu, we feature both mauka (mountain) and makai (ocean) views as well as sunset veiws over the Kukui'ula resort. The aloha-friendly staff, with a food and beverage knowledge second to none, will ensure that you have an extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Merriman's - Poipu - Best Restaurants in Koloa ›
Merriman's - Poipu reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)fit for foodies (62)scenic view (59)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (50)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (24)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- folded paradisejimnkathyDined on 11/20/2014We've now been to all the Merriman's. All are fantastic! My entree at the Kauai Merriman's will probably be the very best I'll enjoy on this trip--that includes trips to Alan Wong, Morimoto, Nobu, Hoku, 3660, Roy's. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for special occasionemondVIPDined on 11/18/2014We went to Merrimans on our honeymoon and could not have been more satisfied. They treated us like VIPs, even though I'm sure they get so many honeymoon couples. The service, food, and drinks were all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem near PoipuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014If you want great food, one of the best places to be for sunset, a bit of romance, and great service then Merriman's at Kukuiula is the place to go. We have been there many times and have never been disappointed. This is HAWAII so the fish dishes can' t be beat and are all wonderful. My favorite is their DUO which is a half order of two menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it so much we went back again...and againRebolishVIPDined on 11/10/2014We loved this place!! So much so that we went back two additional times. By far the best restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJoeyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Food was perfect, fish and steak prepared correctly, had plenty of menu choices. For desert we opted to go to nearby ice cream parlor. Only bad part was our table faced the kitchen and being at night each time the service door opened it distracted you -- a bright flash Otherwise would give it 5 starsSpecial Features:
- Food not prepared correct.BeentheredonethatDined on 11/5/2014One person in our party ordered a steak medium well and received it medium rare. I ordered the macadamia nut crusted Monchong and it was way overcooked with a soggy crust. With the waitress, "be back in a minute" meant be back in ten minutes.Special Features:
- nice dinner at PoipueckiDined on 11/4/2014everything was fine and we had a nice evening. The location is quite nice and we didn't wait for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Evening!VickiVIPDined on 11/4/2014We had a beautiful sunset ,wonderful food and a fantastic waiter. Two of us had the Lobster Special and one had the Ono. We started with the Caesar salad with fried green tomatoes. Ask for Matt as your waiter, he is knowledgable about the food and wine and knows the island.Special Features:
- Merrimans passRoysdinnerDined on 11/4/2014My pMy party was 4 people still overpriced for the quality $350 dollars with $50 bottle of wine my wife had the chicken $33 which she said was amazing one of my frarty was 4 people still overpriced for the quality $350 dollars with $50 bottle of wine my wife had the chicken $33 which she said was amazing one of my friends had the steak he has been eating steak every night since we have been here he said it was the worst one yet and it was the most expensive his wife had the macadamia nut fish it was very dry and i had the special which i would explain as a bowl water with hard noodles and one piece of fish and two small shrimp it was horrible out of all the meals we all said we would not go back but if you want chicken its the placeSpecial Features:
- Service DisappointsNancysNotesDined on 11/3/2014We have dined @ Merriman's on several occasions, always having a wonderful experience overall. This time, we were disappointed. The restaurant was not very busy. Our server dashed to our table to introduce himself, brought our water, and disappeared. Came back eventually and took our order. Never did bring my husband's wine. When our food was delivered, my husband asked the food delivery person about the wine. Still no wine. Finally, my husband had to get up and go find our waiter! THEN got the wine. In addition, we were right next to the bar. The bartender spent his time in loud conversation with a friend who was sitting at the bar. Rather distracting. We had been warned by friends that the service had been lacking when they visitedSpecial Features:
- Romantic Night in KauaiJoesmaryvDined on 11/3/2014Look forward to dining at Merriman's whenever we are in Poipu. The food, wine list, ambience , and service are excellent. As a fish house, they only serve the freshest avaliable and even list the name of the fisherman who caught the daily catch. The only problem was that the waiter started off great and was very attentive. As the night went on , we saw less and less of him, and finally had to pour our own wine from the cooler next to the table. Although excellent, this restaurant is very expensive, and a customer should NEVER have to pick up the wine bottle. That is cause for a smaller tip in my opinion. Overall , it was a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- OverconfidentPeonyDined on 10/25/2014The food here is OK, but not nearly as good as they think it is, and certainly not justifying the prices. The staff and management clearly have an attitude they they are bestowing their awesomeness on the patrons who are lucky to get a chance to eat there. Upon arrival, you will be told your table "isn't quite ready yet" even if the room is mostly empty. We sat at the bar next to an empty table at which we would eventually be seated, 15 minutes after arriving 3 minutes after our reservation time. With so many good options on the South shore, don't waste your time here.
- delicious as always, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/22/2014The food was top notch as always, but service has slipped. Most notably: Our table shared a clam appetizer and were not given plates so we had to put our clams on our bread plates. Those who ordered bouillabaisse we not given spoons until after it was served. We shared a dessert, so this time asked for individual plates. One of the plates given to us was a saucer (for a coffee cup!) When the server brought the French press coffee, he said we should let it steep although the plunger was already down (pressed). The coffee was not steeped long enough and made with an inadequate amount of grinds. And lastly, the check arrived while we were still eating and we hadn't yet requested it. The wait staff was friendly but not well trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fishOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014One of the best fish we had on our trip to hawaii. Cooked very well, and appropriate portion sizes.Special Features:
- SmilingBobby1960Dined on 10/20/2014From a fabulous waiter, great atmosphere, fabulous food. Best find in poipuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a Disappointment!BobboVIPDined on 10/17/2014Yet another perfect evening at Merrimans. We treated our friends to their first time at this wonderful restaurant and as host and to guests alike it was exceptional. The best Kauai has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for entreeRubesRemarksDined on 10/16/2014Merriman's is a pleasant enough restaurant with good but not great food. The noise level was acceptable, but it was only half full, (Thursday evening.) After my very good lobster ceviche, there was an extensive wait for the entrees. It was OK for us oldies, but the family in front of us with the one year old was going frantic trying to keep the kid under control. (They were there when we arrived and still there when we left. My monchong was a bit dry but the sauce made up for this. At the other side of the table, the pu pu tray was very good. We'll go back sometime... but not with a grandbaby. There are other good places on the South shore that we haven't been to in a long time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014It's been 7 years since we've been to Kauai so we've never been to Merrimans before. We had walked through the Kukui'ula shopping center several days before and would never have known what a great view Merriman's has. A local told us that it was excellent so we gave it a try a couple days later. Excellent Fish, Service and stunning view!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014We have dined there at least 8 times, and this dinner was the best for us!Special Features:
- Some of the best food on IslandDipsea99VIPDined on 10/14/2014They serve some of the finest food on the Island. Munching is delicious, don't miss and the chocolate purse is a great dessert. Salads were fresh and inspired. Overall enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRaggaeDined on 10/14/2014It was my birthday, I had never been to Merriman's, the hostesses were friendly and the wait staff did a very good job. I did think the lobster left something to be desired, not much meat except for the claw meat that was laid across the tail, they should improve this, I was disappointed with that part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 10/12/2014Superb dinin experience. Fish was excellent (monchong) and lamb duo was perfectly prepared. It's all here-- great flavors perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunset LocationolsonzooDined on 10/11/2014Absolutely wonderful location - front row seat to the Sunset. Open air dining. Great food. Nothing on Kaua'i is cheap but this restaurant was very affordable - priced like a nice mainland restaurant. Will definitely make this a standard on our Kaua'i vacations. Service was decent - waiters/busers are *young*, they try but lack some of professionalism you might expect from this level of dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upstairs on the deckOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Dining upstairs at merriman's gives a panoramic vista of the bay. Go at sunset. It's gorgeous. We each had fish- I the ono, she the ahi. Both were perfectly cooked. Our server explained all the preparations in detail. While it did not affect us, the night we were there, there were several items unavailable. Since those items were farm raised, the explanation was that the chef did not like what came in so e sent it all back. At least one table left as a result, but we had no problem and loved the lobster ceviche starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better dining spotsSrslyeatsDined on 10/7/2014My three favorite upscale dining spots in Kauai are St. Regis's Kauai Grill, the Beach House & Merrimans. Follow those with the ever reliable Duke's & Keoki's Paradise. Then the fun starts with Puka Dogs and the fish tacos at Tiki Taco's and the food trucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!myreviewsDined on 10/7/2014We went to Merriman's for our 25th anniversary and had a wonderful time. Great service and excellent food.Special Features:
- Sweeping sunset viewDs95070VIPDined on 10/2/2014Merriman's ranks well among the excellent (and expensive) high-end restaurants in the Poipu resort area, including Roy's, The Beach House and Tidepools at the Hyatt. They are all mapping the Pacific fusion cooking style popularized by Roy Yamaguchi, and for food Roy's remains the best (that's an opinion, of course). If your budget can handle it, try all four. Merriman's has a sweeping sunset view and veranda-style dining that helps you forget that it is located in a very tourist-focused shopping center. Good service and good food that fully satisfies as resort-style Hawaiian. Be advised, however, that this does not come cheap.Special Features:
- Second Time In a WeekdiningfoolVIPDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed the first visit so much, we bagged Tidepools and came back here. Again, the food was great. Started with the Tomato and Beet salad and the honey bread and goat cheese/jam spread. Nice on both accounts. We both did the specials...my wife the fish and I the lamb. Loved the lamb loin...could have skipped the meatballs...too dry. Our servers were attentive, but not up to our first visit when Kui was our server. Will come back next time we are in the island.Special Features:
- Paradise perfectdiningfoolVIPDined on 9/23/2014One of our food stops for the week and it was perfect. In large part thanks to our waiter/som Kui. Service perfection. All the food was wonderful. From the opening salads, butter lettuce with Opa to the unique bulgar and "bacon" salad, we were enjoying every bite. My wife had the monchong. I had the NY. Both were excellent. The wine list was great with some well priced finds. The wine service was what you would expect from a Wine Spectator winner. Would highly recommend. The price is worth the admission in our view.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Farm to table concept was notable. Service was great and atmosphere was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in PoipuLuv2stealrecipiesVIPDined on 9/18/2014Enjoyed Merrimam's Maui and decided to try this location. Maui is more cosmopolitan with a fabulous sunset view. This is charming old Hawaii. Nice spot with great service, fabulous food, nice cocktails. Love the flavorfully prepared fish dishes, amuse bouche and fabulous bread. Somewhat overgrilled shrimp were quickly replaced. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- mysandmanDined on 9/18/2014as usual, we had a fabulous evening at Merriman's. The staff was totally accommodating and the view of the sunset is remarkable.Special Features:
- A Tasty ExperienceMichaelBDined on 9/12/2014We had the ahi poke was fantastic and better than the lobster ceviche. The kale and butter lettuce salad was refreshing and spot on. The New York Bone-in steak had great char flavor, cooked to perfection with the sides of beets, garlic mashed potatoes, and garlic broccoli bringing everything together with pungent tastes. My wife and I split everything listed and we brought home enough of the entree for a small lunch the next day... which was great again!Special Features:
- Lovely Hawaiian diningLives4MaineVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great surprise, we usually enjoy the bar downstairs, but for a special anniversary celebration with friends we ate upstairs. Lots of TLC by the servers, the food was delicious. Pricey, but what dining on Kauai isn't? I would pass on the Mai Tai next time ~ Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked fishOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014For the price you pay you would expect a food to be delicious and mouth watering, it wan't not, my supposedly "seared" fish was very overcooked.
- Wonderful 30th anniversary dinnerlivingthelifeDined on 9/8/2014Our original choice for our special dinner booted us for a wedding, so we chose Merrimans instead, and we couldn't be happier about it. The food was wonderful. And the sunset view was amazing. Our appetizers were the clams and a beet salad. I splurged on lobster, my husband tried a duo of fish, seared ahi and opah. Th seared ahi was unbelievably good, I would go back again just for that. We had a beautiful brut rose cremant d'alsace which paired wonderfully throughout the meal. It was the most expensive meal we had, but it was well worth it. The Pakula coffee that finished the meal was dynamite. All in all a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetoeatVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is a great new place that we explored at the recommendations of friends - it held up to everything they said! Great food, wonderful ambiance and a romantic dinner for our Anniversary.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningLoveKauaiDined on 9/6/2014What a perfect place to spend our last evening in Kauai. The only disappointment was that the purple Molokai sweet potatoes were taken off the regular menu and we missed the special menu they were on the night before. Didn't notice the malasadas on the dessert menu last year, but were to full to try them this year. Will need to plan better next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special dinnerEleeleGirlDined on 9/5/2014My partner knew Merriman's from Waimea and we chose Merriman's Poipu for a special dinner when we visited Kauai. We picked our time to be seated before Sunset and had a fabulous view of the Sunset and got great photos of the view. Service was outstanding and responsive. My vegetarian entree was great and just the right amount of food. My partner order a lamb plate: roast and chops. One was a little tough; both were tasty. The location is very well done and a place very much worth a visit. There is a good vibe to the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchDined on 9/2/2014A wonderful evening with friends. As always the food and service is excellent. Nice for a special occasion or anytime. While I prefer Merriman's on the big island this one is very good.Special Features: