Merriman's - Poipu
2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka Street #G-149
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Poipu
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8087428385
- Hours of Operation:
Fish House: Dinner Daily from 5:30pm-9:00pm (Reservations Recommended)
Gourmet Pizzas & Burgers: Lunch/Dinner Daily from 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Arriola
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are able to do group events at the restaurant or off premise. Call us and we will be happy to provide for your function.
- Private Party Facilities: We can handle small group functions up to 30 people or the restaurant is available to be bought out for the evening seats up to 110.
- Private Party Contact: Kristina Colburn 8087428385
- Entertainment: Merriman's Gourmet Pizza & Burgers : Every Wednesdays 6-8pm
Merriman's Fish House: Every Friday 6-8pm
- Special Events: Feel free to contact Kristina via email email@example.com for more information on our special event offers.
For any buyout inquiries, please contact Danielle Kuck at 808-446-8043
A word from Merriman's - Poipu
Chef-Owner Peter Merriman has brought his unique style of Hawaiian Regional Cuisine served in a casual yet elegant setting of Old Hawaii Plantation. A pioneer in the "Farm to Table" concept, Peter serves only the freshest products, at least 90% of which are locally grown or caught, using only sustainable methods. His international menu items are prepared in a manner that highlights the natural flavors of these fresh, local foods. Located in Poipu, we feature both mauka (mountain) and makai (ocean) views as well as sunset veiws over the Kukui'ula resort. The aloha-friendly staff, with a food and beverage knowledge second to none, will ensure that you have an extraordinary dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Merriman's - Poipu - Best Restaurants in Koloa ›
Merriman's - Poipu reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (64)scenic view (62)fit for foodies (58)romantic (55)great for outdoor dining (43)notable wine list (42)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (22)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Never a Disappointment!BobboDined on 10/17/2014Yet another perfect evening at Merrimans. We treated our friends to their first time at this wonderful restaurant and as host and to guests alike it was exceptional. The best Kauai has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait for entreeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Merriman's is a pleasant enough restaurant with good but not great food. The noise level was acceptable, but it was only half full, (Thursday evening.) After my very good lobster ceviche, there was an extensive wait for the entrees. It was OK for us oldies, but the family in front of us with the one year old was going frantic trying to keep the kid under control. (They were there when we arrived and still there when we left. My monchong was a bit dry but the sauce made up for this. At the other side of the table, the pu pu tray was very good. We'll go back sometime... but not with a grandbaby. There are other good places on the South shore that we haven't been to in a long time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to usOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014It's been 7 years since we've been to Kauai so we've never been to Merrimans before. We had walked through the Kukui'ula shopping center several days before and would never have known what a great view Merriman's has. A local told us that it was excellent so we gave it a try a couple days later. Excellent Fish, Service and stunning view!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/15/2014We have dined there at least 8 times, and this dinner was the best for us!Special Features:
- Some of the best food on IslandDipsea99VIPDined on 10/14/2014They serve some of the finest food on the Island. Munching is delicious, don't miss and the chocolate purse is a great dessert. Salads were fresh and inspired. Overall enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceRaggaeDined on 10/14/2014It was my birthday, I had never been to Merriman's, the hostesses were friendly and the wait staff did a very good job. I did think the lobster left something to be desired, not much meat except for the claw meat that was laid across the tail, they should improve this, I was disappointed with that part.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dipsea99VIPDined on 10/12/2014Superb dinin experience. Fish was excellent (monchong) and lamb duo was perfectly prepared. It's all here-- great flavors perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upstairs on the deckOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Dining upstairs at merriman's gives a panoramic vista of the bay. Go at sunset. It's gorgeous. We each had fish- I the ono, she the ahi. Both were perfectly cooked. Our server explained all the preparations in detail. While it did not affect us, the night we were there, there were several items unavailable. Since those items were farm raised, the explanation was that the chef did not like what came in so e sent it all back. At least one table left as a result, but we had no problem and loved the lobster ceviche starter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the better dining spotsSrslyeatsDined on 10/7/2014My three favorite upscale dining spots in Kauai are St. Regis's Kauai Grill, the Beach House & Merrimans. Follow those with the ever reliable Duke's & Keoki's Paradise. Then the fun starts with Puka Dogs and the fish tacos at Tiki Taco's and the food trucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!myreviewsDined on 10/7/2014We went to Merriman's for our 25th anniversary and had a wonderful time. Great service and excellent food.Special Features:
- Sweeping sunset viewDs95070VIPDined on 10/2/2014Merriman's ranks well among the excellent (and expensive) high-end restaurants in the Poipu resort area, including Roy's, The Beach House and Tidepools at the Hyatt. They are all mapping the Pacific fusion cooking style popularized by Roy Yamaguchi, and for food Roy's remains the best (that's an opinion, of course). If your budget can handle it, try all four. Merriman's has a sweeping sunset view and veranda-style dining that helps you forget that it is located in a very tourist-focused shopping center. Good service and good food that fully satisfies as resort-style Hawaiian. Be advised, however, that this does not come cheap.Special Features:
- Second Time In a WeekdiningfoolVIPDined on 9/26/2014Enjoyed the first visit so much, we bagged Tidepools and came back here. Again, the food was great. Started with the Tomato and Beet salad and the honey bread and goat cheese/jam spread. Nice on both accounts. We both did the specials...my wife the fish and I the lamb. Loved the lamb loin...could have skipped the meatballs...too dry. Our servers were attentive, but not up to our first visit when Kui was our server. Will come back next time we are in the island.Special Features:
- Paradise perfectdiningfoolVIPDined on 9/23/2014One of our food stops for the week and it was perfect. In large part thanks to our waiter/som Kui. Service perfection. All the food was wonderful. From the opening salads, butter lettuce with Opa to the unique bulgar and "bacon" salad, we were enjoying every bite. My wife had the monchong. I had the NY. Both were excellent. The wine list was great with some well priced finds. The wine service was what you would expect from a Wine Spectator winner. Would highly recommend. The price is worth the admission in our view.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Farm to table concept was notable. Service was great and atmosphere was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in PoipuLuv2stealrecipiesVIPDined on 9/18/2014Enjoyed Merrimam's Maui and decided to try this location. Maui is more cosmopolitan with a fabulous sunset view. This is charming old Hawaii. Nice spot with great service, fabulous food, nice cocktails. Love the flavorfully prepared fish dishes, amuse bouche and fabulous bread. Somewhat overgrilled shrimp were quickly replaced. Would highly recommend!Special Features:
- mysandmanDined on 9/18/2014as usual, we had a fabulous evening at Merriman's. The staff was totally accommodating and the view of the sunset is remarkable.Special Features:
- A Tasty ExperienceMichaelBDined on 9/12/2014We had the ahi poke was fantastic and better than the lobster ceviche. The kale and butter lettuce salad was refreshing and spot on. The New York Bone-in steak had great char flavor, cooked to perfection with the sides of beets, garlic mashed potatoes, and garlic broccoli bringing everything together with pungent tastes. My wife and I split everything listed and we brought home enough of the entree for a small lunch the next day... which was great again!Special Features:
- Lovely Hawaiian diningLives4MaineVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great surprise, we usually enjoy the bar downstairs, but for a special anniversary celebration with friends we ate upstairs. Lots of TLC by the servers, the food was delicious. Pricey, but what dining on Kauai isn't? I would pass on the Mai Tai next time ~ Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked fishOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/9/2014For the price you pay you would expect a food to be delicious and mouth watering, it wan't not, my supposedly "seared" fish was very overcooked.
- Wonderful 30th anniversary dinnerlivingthelifeDined on 9/8/2014Our original choice for our special dinner booted us for a wedding, so we chose Merrimans instead, and we couldn't be happier about it. The food was wonderful. And the sunset view was amazing. Our appetizers were the clams and a beet salad. I splurged on lobster, my husband tried a duo of fish, seared ahi and opah. Th seared ahi was unbelievably good, I would go back again just for that. We had a beautiful brut rose cremant d'alsace which paired wonderfully throughout the meal. It was the most expensive meal we had, but it was well worth it. The Pakula coffee that finished the meal was dynamite. All in all a memorable night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovetoeatVIPDined on 9/8/2014This is a great new place that we explored at the recommendations of friends - it held up to everything they said! Great food, wonderful ambiance and a romantic dinner for our Anniversary.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningLoveKauaiDined on 9/6/2014What a perfect place to spend our last evening in Kauai. The only disappointment was that the purple Molokai sweet potatoes were taken off the regular menu and we missed the special menu they were on the night before. Didn't notice the malasadas on the dessert menu last year, but were to full to try them this year. Will need to plan better next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a special dinnerEleeleGirlDined on 9/5/2014My partner knew Merriman's from Waimea and we chose Merriman's Poipu for a special dinner when we visited Kauai. We picked our time to be seated before Sunset and had a fabulous view of the Sunset and got great photos of the view. Service was outstanding and responsive. My vegetarian entree was great and just the right amount of food. My partner order a lamb plate: roast and chops. One was a little tough; both were tasty. The location is very well done and a place very much worth a visit. There is a good vibe to the whole place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dacashvtDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food! Prices aren't too bad, especially for Hawaii, considering the quality and portions. The chocolate purse is delicious and I'm hard to impress with dessert. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Love it!aztravelguyDined on 8/22/2014Love this restaurant!!! The food is always fabulous as well as the service. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Very expensiveAshleyDined on 8/22/2014Ordered two drinks, orderves and got free bread 70 dollers plus the tip food was okSpecial Features:
- Great food and viewMerrimansDined on 8/21/2014The dinner was delicious, drinks great and watched the sunset from our table. Not a bad seat anywhere in the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and serviceMiceVIPDined on 8/17/2014Not as good as Merriman's in Maui....ambience is very different
- Not an eating crowdsantarosatouristsVIPDined on 8/16/2014Too many noisy babies. Really just about ruined our perfectly good meal. They need a policy to handle this. It's unbelievable Merrimans would let a screaming toddler take over the place. Finally, the people got their meal packed up to go and left, but too late for us. The food and presentation was wonderful, but we might as well been at McDonald's.Special Features:
- peffer1VIPDined on 8/15/2014Durong a recent stay in Kauai we dined here two times, the first night and the last. Each dinner was exceptional. Portions are generous aand allowed is to share each thing we ordered.the clam appetizer was put of this world. The service was friendly and spot on. We would have eaten there again if we had extended our staySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for food lovers !AGVillageDined on 8/14/2014Exquisite taste & textures. Surprisingly delightful since the views alone are worth visiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our best dine in HawaiiRedeiriderDined on 8/13/2014Great food and very nice options "of the day". We had already been in Maui, at same level!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to eat here every nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Everyone from the chef to the wait staff cares about the good served at this establishment. The freshest of the fresh ingredients prepared in unique ways to perfection. Even the cocktails were something to write home about. Was hoping to revisit this spot after the first meal, but now having regrets for not making that happen. Guess it means I'll just have to go on another vacation soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but priceySunnyDaysDined on 8/8/2014We had a really nice meal here. Every table except 2 had families with children, mostly large groups. Just keep that in mind if you're looking for a romantic dinner for 2, might not be the right place. Good service, though not exceptional. Food was excellent, my salad made with island butter lettuce was one of the best salads I've had- I think the secret was in the dressing. Fresh fish, lobster, all good. I ventured out and tried the taro balls, and confirmed that mashed taro is not my thing. Desserts were scrumptious, we tried several. Room stayed cool with open windows and ceiling fans. One downside is the expense; I think Merriman's is overpriced for the big family atmosphere and service.Special Features:
- Good food in KukuiulaOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/3/2014One of the few of choices on the island after 9pm. Merriman's is consistently good across all of his resturants and does a good job with the local fish e.g. MonchongSpecial Features:
- JazManaDined on 7/29/2014Food was amazing! We got the Kobe beef and Uku specials respectively. Steak was out of this world, melt in your mouth, delicious! The uku sat in a brown butter bath that tied the entire dish together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- onolicious food-fantastic service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Outstanding, friendly service! Choke aloha and totally professional waitstaff! Mahalo nui to Jared! Food was onolicious and arrived very quickly! Definitely one of my favorite special occasion spots on island!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent--bestfood on the island!!lil1sdrDined on 7/21/2014My husband and I went to this place two years ago--it was fabulous then as it was this week. Its hard to find good food on the island that isn't just fried food and burgers. Knowing where the food comes from--even better. Organic, locally grown--although you are in kaui its surprising there are so few restaurants that actually cater to foodies. This place delivers on many levels! My husband loves fish that isn't tuna and there were multiple options. I am a vegetarian--there were many options for me too..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and wait staffKathyVIPDined on 7/17/2014Merrimans clearly uses as many Hawaiian items as possible. Given the lusciousness of the local produce, fish, and livestock, this is a really good thing! There is a great deal of imagination and skill in the kitchen--we will never tire of the incredible variety of Hawaiian fresh fish, but it was fun to have it prepared so creatively. Everything we ordered was perfectly cooked and presented. Wait staff is incredibly skilled and very personable. Also, one person in our party forgot a valuable personal item in the restaurant and they tracked us down to let us know before he realized it was missing. If only we could live in Hawaii and go to Merrimans every week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal on the Poipu/KauaiBiewelDined on 7/17/2014Tried various "better" places on the Poipu side. Outstanding service and food. Nice setting overlooking greenery and ocean. Not enough room to write a detailed review but definitively best place on the Poipu side. Went to Red Salt as well and while we enjoyed it on a previous visit it fell way short this time. Menu at Merriman's is innovative, not over loaded with choices, well executed, very well selected wine list, service very attentive. Some of the seating could be some what improved but nothing major!! Well worth the money!!!!Special Features: