Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
1 Bay Club Place
Lahaina, HI 96761Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.merrimanshawaii.com/
- Phone: 8086696400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Bar Menu: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
Point Bar Hours: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 4:59pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30-1:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Hawaiian
- Executive Chef: Peter Merriman and Neil Murphy
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Our chef will create a menu specifically for you and your event. We are capable of doing small intimate groups of 25 or up to a large group of 250. We will use the same philosophy in preparing your group's food as we do in our restaurant. Fresh, Local, Sustainable, and Delicious!
- Entertainment: We provide live music 7 days a week starting at 5:30pm and ending at 9:00pm.
Sunday - Wednesday: Ranga Pae
Monday: David Wolf
Tuesday: Phil and Angela Benoit
A word from Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui
Chef/Owner Peter Merriman has transplanted his version of Hawaii Regional Cuisine to this beautiful ocean-side location in the Kapalua resort. He uses only the freshest products of which 90% or more are locally produced or caught, using only sustainable methods. Peter has always been a front runner in the "Farm to Table" concept. All food is prepared in a way that highlights the natural flavors of the food. We have a very friendly staff to ensure that you have an incredible dining experience. Their food knowledge is among the best in the industry. All this is in the most beautiful location within the resort, right on the water where the most incredible sunsets are watched nightly at our oceanfront winebar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui - Best Restaurants in Kapalua ›
Merriman's - Kapalua, Maui reviews from OpenTable diners
287 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (250)special occasion (227)romantic (219)great for outdoor dining (181)fit for foodies (160)notable wine list (116)hot spot (70)good for groups (52)vibrant bar scene (50)neighborhood gem (47)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (24)late-night find (14)great for lunch (12)Show More
- Merriman'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Should have listened to published review. Food was disappointing. Ambiance amazing.Special Features:
- BrunchdeckVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food except for their concept Bloody Mary. Service was very good. Our server made several suggestions, all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/12/2014Mongchong fish was possibly the best fish I have ever had. Period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We stayed on Kauai before coming to Maui and ate at the merrimans there. It was way better there. Had reservations for both places and in Maui we still had to wait 30 minutes and thre were open tables. Overall it was same quality food!Special Features:
- Best Mai Tai!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Loved this place and the view was phenomenal. Limited menu but great choices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Maui Experience!DinearoundDined on 9/11/2014We really enjoyed Merriman's! Great location, even for Maui! Fabulous ocean front patio for happy hour ( great cocktails), great outdoor dining area. Entree's we had were all wonderful local seafood selections. Nice wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncredibleIdahochickDined on 9/10/2014Incredible food, service, view-loved everything about it. It's dreamySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLuvrfoodluvrVIPDined on 9/10/2014This is a fabulous restaurant that we have been to on numerous occasions. However, on this particular visit the hostess dropped the ball and even though we had a 6:00 reservation, she gave our table away and we were not seated until 7:00. We would have left, but we had already ordered a cocktail at the bar, paid $25 for a taxi to the restaurant and could not get a reservation anywhere else we would have liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningSandJfromDKDined on 9/9/2014We went here for mig birthday and the evening was just perfect! Had some drinks and starters at the terrace overlooking the beautiful sunset. After that we went inside to enjoy our entrees - food and drinks were delicious! Would really recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Outstanding Maui SpotHappyVIPDined on 9/9/2014Have a drink on the huge deck while you watch the sunset is one of life's pleasures. And having dinner afterwards at this fine dining spot is the whip cream topping.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2014Everything was just incredible. Fantastic experience from view to service and everything in betweenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kind of Disappointingdamoses21VIPDined on 9/8/2014We went to Merrimans last week, it was our second time, my husband's snapper was burnt and my ahi tuna was okay but had a relish of cucumber and onions and the onions were very overpowering and it just tasted like vinegar, there was a lot of fish though could not finish it all. For the price of the dishes they should be much better. The view is definitely worth sunset drinks and appetizers so that is what we will do next time since we go to Maui every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but...knowdabizDined on 9/7/2014Setting - gorgeous, view - world class, food - VERY good, service - ugh! After appetizers arrived, it was as if we didn't exist. 30 minute wait for entrees, then into another forgotten zone for 30-40 minutes after we were finished with our entrees, desert menus arrived then another 20 minutes before we were asked if we were interested in desert or after dinner drinks. We were interested in both - 20 minutes ago, we passed on desert (one can only sit in a chair for so long). It was busy, it is always busy, the waiter probably got stuck in the weeds but he had no support such as a bus boy to lend a hand. At these prices, at a restaurant with such a high reputation, you expect much better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Amazing experience as always!! The mahi mahi was outstanding Always a favorite when we come to Maui. Server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stilesVIPDined on 9/5/2014Menu Food selection wonderful as were the actual tastes. One thing better than the last. We come our last night of vacationSpecial Features:
- Great find in KapaluaRobbDined on 9/5/2014We had a perfect table next to the bay for a spectacular sunset view. The service was wonderful from the moment we came in the door. I had local fish of the day, my wife had seared ahi - both were melt-in-your-mouth fabulous. We will make this a favorite and come here every year.Special Features:
- Salty foodDine4funDined on 9/4/2014The view at Merriman's was very nice, however our experience was mixed. We got to the restaurant 15 min before our reservation and the hostess looked at us if we came from to the wrong restaurant. She say come back in 15 mins and we will get you a table. So we went to the bar and had a drink which was nice. 15 mins later.. The same hostess said in a rude tone of voice "go close your tab and come back". So I did. We sat at a table next to the bar where that table sat empty the entire time we were there we were sitting right next to it earlier. Very inconvenient. We made the reservation a month in advance and we sat next to the bar! It was very noisy at that spot. The waitress was helpful in covering for the kitchens mistakes as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unforgettable - romantic64VetteDined on 9/4/2014it was above and beyond my wife's expectations, plus the sunset, especially since it was our first time and will be back again satruday nightSpecial Features:
- A must visit when on MauiRalphDined on 9/4/2014We went for a romantic dinner on our overdue honeymoon. They did not disappoint. Set your reservation at sunset and bring sunglasses and your phone. High class atmosphere, quality attention in service and in details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentConniegirlDined on 9/4/2014Merriman's Restaurant is an exceptionally good restaurant in every way. I highly recommend it to everyone without reservation!Special Features:
- CarolCarolDined on 9/3/2014Everything about this restaurant is fantastic. This is definitely one of the best restaurants we have ever been to.Special Features:
- Perfect Maui birthday dinner!svtexVIPDined on 9/2/2014Great food, great views, and great mai tai's! What more could one want for a birthday! The pineapple bread pudding and mai tai's were seriously the best of our whole trip. Look forward to going back and enjoying aloha hour at the oceanside terrace.Special Features:
- Great view, bad everything else...MauihoneymoonersDined on 9/1/2014Great view and very beautiful but that didn't make up for the poor service (bus boy basically did everything for us over our server), poor food (I had the chicken and my husband had the fish special and both were like something out of a freeze as far as blan), and the resturant in General was extremely loud (my husband had to basically yell to talk to me). We went to Lahinan Grill the night before and maybe they spoiled us but for the same price as Merrimens I would I back to Lahinan Grill.Special Features:
- Delicious!kbtrunsDined on 9/1/2014Beautiful setting, lovely service, watched the sun sink into the Pacific while dining on sumptuous food. The charred Ahi is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingRickyTVIPDined on 9/1/2014Probably the best meal we had in Maui. Had a 5:30 reservation and sunset was at 6:45 so we were nervous we might be done before sunset. Not even close! We got a great table right in front, starting at the sun. The sunset was like none other and we they really took their time in serving us so that we could enjoy it. We didn't even receive our entrees yet by the time the sun went down, which is exactly what we wanted. My filet was out of this world! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Awesome RestaurantNYCDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is our first time at Merriman's and we can not wait to return! We will get there for the sunset next time!
- Good, pricey meal - best for sunsetRH80Dined on 8/31/2014We celebrated our first anniversary here based on a local recommendation. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get a res before 8:15pm so we missed the sunset. Thus, our 'scenic' experience was sort of meh. We shared the poke app, which was good but way too salty. For dinner, we had the Mahi Mahi, which was also too salty, and the Ahi, which my husband really liked. And, since it was our anniversary, they served us a complementary flower less chocolate dessert. Server was very good! attentive, timely, and courteous. Overall, an ok night, just not as spectacular as I had hoped. There are other, much less expensive places on the island that have consistently delicious, flavorful food (i.e., Cafe O'Lei in Kihei).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional food and serviceRBinatlVIPDined on 8/31/2014From the time we walked in the door to the time we left, everything was spectacular from the service to the cocktails to the food. Exceptional restaurant overlooking the water!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner on MauiDennisDined on 8/31/2014The food was amazing and so was the view. We tried a lot of highly rated restaurants on our trip and this was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was a tad disappointing.OhgeorgeVIPDined on 8/31/2014Kitchen needs to get their act together as the food was not up Merriman's excellent standards. We love Merriman's so well give the brunch another try as you can't beat the service or the view.Special Features:
- MemorableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Absolutely perfect evening. Our 5th time there. Food choices great! Attentive servers. Can't beat the sunset view. Nice music. Fine choice for an anniversary trip to Maui when looking for a special dinner. We will return again on our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SteakloverVIPDined on 8/29/2014Fabulous as always! Try to book a reservation around sunset as it's magical to see.Special Features:
- AMAZING Dinner!808FoodieDined on 8/29/2014Five of us dined at 5:30pm, a perfect sunset seating with a spectacular view! We had the soup special, kale salad, strawberry salad, filet, mahi, the fish special, lobster and scallops for dinner and each of us just LOVED everything. We finished with dessert, coffee and a port that made us all agree that this place is hands down AMAZING! Even the creamed corn & Asparagus we'd recommend more of as we have never had anything as delicious. We loved it so much we decided to go for Brunch on Sunday & seriously, have never had a better meal anywhere in the world. Dinner as well as their Weekend brunch is to die for! The ambiance, the food, the scenery, the wonderful wine list and drink specials, even the service, was hands down incredible!Special Features:
- Tropical gourmetGJMLDMDined on 8/28/2014Eating here is truly a Maui must! The atmosphere was authentic with incredible views and a very tropical feel. What made this one of our favorites was that the chef masterfully blended Hawaiian favorites, like Ono and Mai Mai with the tropical flavors of local organic fruit and vegetables, creating incredible explosions of flavors in every dish.Special Features:
- Go for the view not the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Service was terrible . Unusual long delay in entree coming out. Server mentioned a number of times that it would be only a few more minutes , acknowledging and apologizing for the delay. When entree arrived it was cold. Obviously had been sitting. Informed waiter he in turn sent it back to warm. Mentioned about adjusting the bill due to the problem stating that new people in the kitchen that night. No adjustment was made on bill...we did not saying anything at that pt we just wanted to leave without any more hassle. After all we are on vacation. Very poor management. Go for the view not the food or service. Disappointed.Special Features:
- So good that we're going againTomKatDined on 8/26/2014Fabulous ingredients perfectly prepared. I had the seared ahi, a dish I frequently order, and this was the best I ever had. The fried green tomato croutons on the Caesar salad are a party in your mouth. We're going back there tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014The food was fabulous and the service was great and the sunset was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out in MauiBcmalibuDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant was recommended to my wife and I by a friend , and I must say we were not disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!JohnVIPDined on 8/25/2014OK, let's start with the fact that if you do a sit-down dinner for 4 you are going to drop between close to $200. Like many areas of Maui, it is expensive, but unlike many others, here you get an amazing dining experience, excellent service and one of the very best views in Maui for the sunset; quintessential Hawaiian views. The entire restaurant is open air, with unbelievable breezes cooling the entire area. Though we did not go experience it, Merriman's also has an excellent happy hour that enjoys all of the benefits stated above without the big check! In addition, it is LITERALLY adjacent to the Kapalua Beach, so you could first enjoy one of the nicest beaches, and snorkeling, in Maui before enjoying a great happy hour or meal! Aloha!Special Features:
- MerrimansSeasons52Dined on 8/24/2014Very romantic, service outstanding, try to get there for sunset, make a reservation early because they are booked well in advance, definatly a perfect spot in Maui for a scenic, special dinner! Will go again every time we visit MauiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.